OT: St. George Island, FL

MaroonSadness99

Aug 1, 2022
Going on family vacation there with in-laws next week. Never been and know pretty much nothing about it. Any opinions, must dos or suggestions?

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
Buy groceries before you get on the island.
internet used to be very sketchy (could be improved now).
Beautiful place .
Drive your vehicle on beach at night .
Enjoy the beautiful not crowded beaches

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
So how is the water at St. George's Island? The isolation is appealing but the only time I've been on the island the water didn't look that great, but I didn't actually go down to the water.

I gather it's not Desitn or 30A clear. Is it basically like orange beach? Occasionally clear'ish but usually muddy? Or is it better than that?

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
It's been a few years since we last went but it was great. Less crowded and sections of beach to yourself. I know Eddie Teach's raw bar is gone but I believe the Blue Parrot is still there. Best fried shrimp I had ever had in a restaurant.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Going on family vacation there with in-laws next week. Never been and know pretty much nothing about it. Any opinions, must dos or suggestions?
Great place. If you are staying on the public side of the island, having a golf cart is pretty nice. If you are staying in the gated (west) side of the island, golf carts are not allowed for some dumb *** reason but the beaches are actually better.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
So how is the water at St. George's Island? The isolation is appealing but the only time I've been on the island the water didn't look that great, but I didn't actually go down to the water.

I gather it's not Desitn or 30A clear. Is it basically like orange beach? Occasionally clear'ish but usually muddy? Or is it better than that?
It is nicer than Destin. It is dang nice.

scdog1

Sep 15, 2012
We rented a house on the beach last year and had a great time. No one within 50 feet of us at least on the week of July 4th. It's pretty isolated and we mostly grilled at the house. Ate a few restaurants and thought they were OK. The water is nothing like 30A, but it's good enough and we had a great sandbar to hang out on.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
St. George is fantastic. Obviously get some oysters everywhere you go. But go to the oyster distributors and buy selects by the 40 lbs for dirt cheap.
DO NOT BUY OFF THE BOATS!!! Both the fisherman and you can get arrested for doing so