OT - Taylor Swift Music - Is There Anything Worse?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I've had the misfortune of having to ride with my daughter (no pics) several times over the past few weeks. She's playing the latest Taylor Swift album. My God, it is terrible. Slow, no beat, depressing, just very blah. I wasn't contemplating suicide prior to the ride, but now... Also she listened to a country artist, Zach Bryan (?), he was just as bad.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I said she could not sing years ago when I saw her attempt a song her voice could not manage. I see the attraction and she is entertaining but talented singer? I never saw it but her lyrics do hit her fan base right in the heart, but not mine.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
But, but, her golden voice has made her a billionaire!!! Fifty million tween girls can tell a great talent when they see it. **

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I said she could not sing years ago when I saw her attempt a song her voice could not manage. I see the attraction and she is entertaining but talented singer? I never saw it but her lyrics do hit her fan base right in the heart, but not mine.
One of my daughter is a Swifty. I can’t stand the music.

I will say for all the money that it costs to go to her concerts she does go all out in the concert to I guess get your moneys worth.

• Sad
Reactions: JackShephard

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Bob Dylan sounds like someone with Downs and a head cold had a stroke.
Yep, but I loved his stuff. His music resonated with much of my generation. He was called Americas Poet for a reason. I am not saying Taylor is that nor am I saying she is as bad a singer as Dylan.

What I am saying is her stuff connects with her audience. She does put on a good show too.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Do not confuse Dylan > Swift and it’s not close.
Put it this way, Dylan has won not one but Two Pulitzer Prizes. One for music and its influence and one for his literature! That guy just hits different!

Reactions: jdbulldog

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
My son listens to that crap every morning going to school. I can’t change it quick enough when he steps out.

She drops the F bomb in one of her new songs though. Didn’t think that pretty little mouth could say anything like that.

I saw bits and pieces of her documentary, when he was watching a couple months ago. I was impressed with concert prep though. Running in 6” heels on treadmill while singing your songs for 3 hours is impressive, though.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Wow, old men bitching about Taylor Swift. THIS is really a conversation on this board now?!

OMG…lol

Let me guess, you are an “alpha” too.

F*cking pathetic.

I had the pleasure of taking my daughter to a Taylor Swift show back in 2010. I was one of maybe 5 men in the entire arena (Indianapolis), as it was mostly daughters with their moms. I was a single dad at the time.
I’ve been to hundreds of concerts, ranging from Monsters of Rock to Lollapalooza, Rush to Metallica, Bluegrass to Old country, etc…and I have to say, Taylor Swift’s performance was top notch. And this was over 10 yrs ago. She’s a professional. No, she doesn’t have the perfect voice/presence/etc., but her message in the music is what’s important to the kids that listen to her.
The fact that a ‘girl dad’ would start this thread is just ridiculous.

Good luck.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Wow, old men bitching about Taylor Swift. THIS is really a conversation on this board now?!

OMG…lol

F*cking pathetic.

I had the pleasure of taking my daughter to a Taylor Swift show back in 2010. I was one of maybe 5 men in the entire arena (Indianapolis), as it was mostly daughters with their moms. I was a single dad at the time.
I’ve been to hundreds of concerts, ranging from Monsters of Rock to Lollapalooza, Rush to Metallica, Bluegrass to Old country, etc…and I have to say, Taylor Swift’s performance was top notch. And this was over 10 yrs ago. She’s a professional. No, she doesn’t have the perfect voice/presence/etc., but her message in the music is what’s important to the kids that listen to her.

Good luck.
Lolz

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007

OMG…lol

F*cking pathetic.

Good luck.
KentuckyDawg is a 17ing Swifty. Incredible**

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
She's this generation's Madonna. As big as Madonna was in the 80's and 90's, imagine her popularity had social media and streaming music been available.

In twenty years there will be someone to take Taylor's place.

My daughter listens to her so I catch a song now and then. I'm a Rock guy so it's not my cup of tea but it's more palatable then some of the "country" music being played.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I can’t say I know very many of her songs but she is definitely more talented than most artist these days. She controls pretty much everything with her own music, which is rare in pop music.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've had the misfortune of having to ride with my daughter (no pics) several times over the past few weeks. She's playing the latest Taylor Swift album. My God, it is terrible. Slow, no beat, depressing, just very blah. I wasn't contemplating suicide prior to the ride, but now... Also she listened to a country artist, Zach Bryan (?), he was just as bad.
Very important rule in parenting (at least it was for me and my wife), kids don't pick the music when parents are in the car, period.
I personally wouldn't know a Taylor Swift song if I heard one, which I won't be. I do however find her very interesting to look at, except when she's with that a$s itch Travis Kelce

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Not gonna lie. I like some of her songs. We had a rental in 2014 for the Orange Bowl and it was either pop or Cuban. I chose pop and heard Shake it Off and Uptown Funk so much I ended up liking them. She is not a great singer but writes her own music. I’ll take her any day over the bro country guys that basically have the exact same songs but alternate where the beer, girl, and truck go in the lyrics.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’m a Parrothead from way back. I probably saw Buffett in concert 15-20 times through the years but the man couldn’t sing beyond a limited range but he could write and boy could he entertain. Being a successful entertainer is way more than a pitch perfect voice. Go to any church choir practice in the south and you’ll likely find someone with a better voice than half the successful artist today but you’ll never hear them on the radio.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

OMG…lol

F*cking pathetic.

Good luck.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Not gonna lie. I like some of her songs. We had a rental in 2014 for the Orange Bowl and it was either pop or Cuban. I chose pop and heard Shake it Off and Uptown Funk so much I ended up liking them. She is not a great singer but writes her own music. I’ll take her any day over the bro country guys that basically have the exact same songs but alternate where the beer, girl, and truck go in the lyrics.
Pull Back Comedy Central GIF by Lights Out with David Spade
And for the record I don't do bro country either

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Haven't ever listened to her and never plan to but I think it's more about writing music and lyrics that fit your voice and style. Mick Jagger can't carry a tune in a bucket but look at the Stones. Can you imagine someone with a great voice singing a Stones song? It'd sound like crap. Somebody already mentioned Bob Dylan. Also, I read one time that someone asked Jimi Hendrix about being a hit singer and he replied "I'm not a singer, I'm an entertainer."

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Country Beyonce is worser.
Oh God, that country Beyoncé song is one of the worst songs I’ve ever heard. It’s absolutely horrible. Two of my daughters and my wife are swifties, but my youngest daughter doesn’t like her new album and has backed off the Taylor train a bit. I do respect that she writes all her own songs and she is an incredible businesswoman and brand builder. She is literally the most popular person in the world. I don’t think that is debatable.

Aug 22, 2012
She has limited vocal range but you have to give her props for writing all her own songs. Her stuff is just ok to me but some of it is catchy.

Her and Beyonce put on great shows from what I can tell (never seen either but in internet clips) but Beyonce has the voice and Taylor is the artist.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Whether Taylor manages the production herself or others are in charge, the marketing and promotion of her "brand" should be a required study in colleges offering marketing degree. Brilliantly packaged, long lived and literally prints money. Kudos to whomever "pulls the strings".

Reactions: WrightGuy821

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Everything about about her reminds me of fat-free, sugar-free ice cream. It's ice cream, after all, but...

I do find the phenomenon very interesting - why is she the one so many have latched on to? The concerts do look great. For S's & G's I looked at the ticket prices for the shows at the Dome this fall -$1800 was the cheapest seat.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

OMG…lol

F*cking pathetic.

Good luck.

I'm glad you're in Kentucky. It's a lovely state.

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
My kids listen to Swift's music and love it. Some of the songs are catchy and I will sing along when one of the kids is choosing the road trip because its fun to do as a family.
They also listen to a bunch of 90s and 00s pop punk, emo, 90s Alt, and more.
Kinda tough to complain about their music taste when I grew up on more than half the music they frequently listen to.

I view Swift in a similar way to Britney, Madonna, etc- she is a generational entertainer that provides an overall experience- music, personality, fashion, inspiration, etc. The music is going to change from album to album because it sorta has to in order to continue to attract more into the fanbase, and also because entertainers grow in their sound.

To answer the OP's question- yes there are a lot of things that are worse than Taylor Swift's music. There is a lot of music that is worse too.

Reactions: Hot Rock

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
My kids listen to Swift's music and love it. Some of the songs are catchy and I will sing along when one of the kids is choosing the road trip because its fun to do as a family.
They also listen to a bunch of 90s and 00s pop punk, emo, 90s Alt, and more.
Kinda tough to complain about their music taste when I grew up on more than half the music they frequently listen to.

I view Swift in a similar way to Britney, Madonna, etc- she is a generational entertainer that provides an overall experience- music, personality, fashion, inspiration, etc. The music is going to change from album to album because it sorta has to in order to continue to attract more into the fanbase, and also because entertainers grow in their sound.

To answer the OP's question- yes there are a lot of things that are worse than Taylor Swift's music. There is a lot of music that is worse too.
We are the same way. One of my twin daughters is a Swifty and the other likes to listen to Queen, Nirvana, and pretty much everything I listen to (mostly rock and metal).

Our roadtrip playlists have a large variety.