OT - Taylor Swift Music - Is There Anything Worse?

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I have two teenage daughters and neither can stand to listen to Taylor Swift. If you have a son that listens to this crap you may want to throw in a little gangsta rap to work on their man card.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I've had the misfortune of having to ride with my daughter (no pics) several times over the past few weeks. She's playing the latest Taylor Swift album. My God, it is terrible. Slow, no beat, depressing, just very blah. I wasn't contemplating suicide prior to the ride, but now... Also she listened to a country artist, Zach Bryan (?), he was just as bad.
If I'm going girl-pop, then I'll go with Gloria Estefan all day long. In her prime she was smokin' hot, could really sing, and had good music to sing to. And with a band like Miami Sound Machine backing her up, you can't go wrong.

1715781932966.png

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I've had the misfortune of having to ride with my daughter (no pics) several times over the past few weeks. She's playing the latest Taylor Swift album. My God, it is terrible. Slow, no beat, depressing, just very blah. I wasn't contemplating suicide prior to the ride, but now... Also she listened to a country artist, Zach Bryan (?), he was just as bad.
Yes. All of those suddenly pretending that she's a terrible person because they think she might vote differently than them, and the "Christians" out there who are certain that she's satanic, just like that rock and roll music was back in the 50's. How are we so ignorant that we repeat history?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Wow, old men bitching about Taylor Swift. THIS is really a conversation on this board now?!

OMG…lol

Let me guess, you are an “alpha” too.

F*cking pathetic.

I had the pleasure of taking my daughter to a Taylor Swift show back in 2010. I was one of maybe 5 men in the entire arena (Indianapolis), as it was mostly daughters with their moms. I was a single dad at the time.
I’ve been to hundreds of concerts, ranging from Monsters of Rock to Lollapalooza, Rush to Metallica, Bluegrass to Old country, etc…and I have to say, Taylor Swift’s performance was top notch. And this was over 10 yrs ago. She’s a professional. No, she doesn’t have the perfect voice/presence/etc., but her message in the music is what’s important to the kids that listen to her.
The fact that a ‘girl dad’ would start this thread is just ridiculous.

Good luck.
You clearly never saw Hank Jr. at his finest when fell off his stool drunk 30 minutes into the concert of slurred lyrics and didn't return.***

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
She's this generation's Madonna. As big as Madonna was in the 80's and 90's, imagine her popularity had social media and streaming music been available.

In twenty years there will be someone to take Taylor's place.

My daughter listens to her so I catch a song now and then. I'm a Rock guy so it's not my cup of tea but it's more palatable then some of the "country" music being played.
My 5yo niece recently stated that if Taylor were to die in the next couple of years, she would be ready to step in and take her place. She was dead serious. It was pretty funny, particularly her trying to navigate the sensitive area where her young ambition crossed over into the idea that someone might need to die to make a place for her!

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Haven't ever listened to her and never plan to but I think it's more about writing music and lyrics that fit your voice and style. Mick Jagger can't carry a tune in a bucket but look at the Stones. Can you imagine someone with a great voice singing a Stones song? It'd sound like crap. Somebody already mentioned Bob Dylan. Also, I read one time that someone asked Jimi Hendrix about being a hit singer and he replied "I'm not a singer, I'm an entertainer."
Hendrix did not like his voice.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
People always tell me not to live in the past, but the Music was so much much better then.

Just don't listen or buy some earplugs. Arguing about music is like arguing about politics or religion. Nobody wins.

Aug 22, 2012
Wow, insulted Taylor Swift and Zach Bryan. Two of my top 4 current artists and in constant rotation at our house. I like songwriters, and they are two of the best out there right now.

I’ve seen her twice. We took my 10 yo daughter to The Eras tour last April for her first concert. Amazing show and on par with Garth Brooks in my opinion for return on investment. Only two artists I’ve ever seen play 3+ hour sets. Whole family going back to see her this summer while we are in London.

We let our kids pick music, but they only listen I stuff we expose them too. Hate bro country and taught my daughter to enrage all her Morgan Wallen friends by saying “isn’t he that pop star” every time they mention him.

Taking my daughter and 13 yo son to see Zach Bryan and Jason Isbell (my 2nd favorite artist) at Jerry World in August.

All this to say, expose your kids to “good” music young and take them to concerts with you. Some of the best memories we have made so far

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Wow, insulted Taylor Swift and Zach Bryan. Two of my top 4 current artists and in constant rotation at our house. I like songwriters, and they are two of the best out there right now.

I’ve seen her twice. We took my 10 yo daughter to The Eras tour last April for her first concert. Amazing show and on par with Garth Brooks in my opinion for return on investment. Only two artists I’ve ever seen play 3+ hour sets. Whole family going back to see her this summer while we are in London.

We let our kids pick music, but they only listen I stuff we expose them too. Hate bro country and taught my daughter to enrage all her Morgan Wallen friends by saying “isn’t he that pop star” every time they mention him.

Taking my daughter and 13 yo son to see Zach Bryan and Jason Isbell (my 2nd favorite artist) at Jerry World in August.

All this to say, expose your kids to “good” music young and take them to concerts with you. Some of the best memories we have made so far
Hot take you are not going to like: Wallen's version of "Cover Me Up" is better than Isbell's. I know Isbell wrote it and deserves credit, but I'm talking about singing.

Reactions: Air Raid 2.0

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
My kids listen to Swift's music and love it. Some of the songs are catchy and I will sing along when one of the kids is choosing the road trip because its fun to do as a family.
I know you.

Aug 22, 2012
People always tell me not to live in the past, but the Music was so much much better then.

Just don't listen or buy some

Hot take you are not going to like: Wallen's version of "Cover Me Up" is better than Isbell's. I know Isbell wrote it and deserves credit, but I'm talking about singing.
Agree to disagree. Not even close. Isbell from the heart >>> nasal Morgan Wallen

Aug 22, 2012
We are the same way. One of my twin daughters is a Swifty and the other likes to listen to Queen, Nirvana, and pretty much everything I listen to (mostly rock and metal).

Our roadtrip playlists have a large variety.
Same. Daughter and wife are huge Swifties. Daughter listens to Swift, Zach Bryan, and Jack White. Son likes Jack White, Beastie Boys, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, lots of hard rock and HATES Taylor Swift.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Agree to disagree. Not even close. Isbell from the heart >>> nasal Morgan Wallen
I knew you would disagree. Let me color my comment by saying 1. I love Isbell's stuff, and generally think of Wallen as bro country, so it surprises me to think this; but 2. I think you (and others) think Isbell's version is more genuine because you know he wrote it. I think if the general public heard each version side by side not knowing either singer, they would think Wallen's sounded more 'from the heart'.

I know it would not be a popular take. But correct, nonetheless.**

Reactions: AnesthesiaDawg
Aug 22, 2012
I knew you would disagree. Let me color my comment by saying 1. I love Isbell's stuff, and generally think of Wallen as bro country, so it surprises me to think this; but 2. I think you (and others) think Isbell's version is more genuine because you know he wrote it. I think if the general public heard each version side by side not knowing either singer, they would think Wallen's sounded more 'from the heart'.

I know it would not be a popular take. But correct, nonetheless.**
Oh Im definitely predisposed to hate anything positive said about Wallen. Literally hate most everything about him. He is however a solid singer and has his niche and fanbase figured out. Just sounds nasal to me more and more every new song I hear.
Isbell will never be considered a great singer, but he can play guitar with most anyone and in my opinion may be the best songwriter of of my generation.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Its interesting to think about how often music that someone listened to during various formative and imprintable times in their life will be what they fall back to for nostalgia and even as their barometer for what is 'good'.
We are complex beings for sure.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Its interesting to think about how often music that someone listened to during various formative and imprintable times in their life will be what they fall back to for nostalgia and even as their barometer for what is 'good'.
I am curious if music from today will be used and listened to in 70 years. I like a lot of music from the 50’s and 60’s. My kids know some of it from todays movies.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
So what is this? A bunch of old and middle aged guys complaining about the new generations music? I think there is a Abe Simpson yelling at a cloud gif I should put in here somewhere. Then there are the Taylor defenders that are mostly girl dads. I myself have a little 2 year old hellspawn daughter, and I pray to dad that she is not a Swifty when the time comes. As far as music taste goes I am a Tool and Nirvana guy so I can't really share any of that with a young daughter.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Her music is not for me, but my wife and daughters love her so I know FAR TOO MUCH about her career.

I admire her business acumen. She's been extremely successful while by all accounts still being super friendly and nice to her fans.

I also admire the way she stuck it to the jackass that bought the masters of her original albums by re-recording all her songs and cutting him right out.

Third, I admire the way she holds her head high when dealing with all the petty jealousy that the other 1000 super popular girl-boss flash-in-the-pan 'stars' (looking at you, Katy Perry) threw her way.

Fourth, I admire the way she hadn't melted down and become an eye-rolling caricature of a human being, saying stupid crazy **** for just another 5 minutes of fame.

Fifth, while she's not everyone's cup of tea in the looks department I think she's pretty easy on the eyes.

So while I think her music isn't good, she does a lot of things like a functional adult and someone who's got her head screwed on right. I can get behind that.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
My 5yo niece recently stated that if Taylor were to die in the next couple of years, she would be ready to step in and take her place. She was dead serious. It was pretty funny, particularly her trying to navigate the sensitive area where her young ambition crossed over into the idea that someone might need to die to make a place for her!
1715789102910.png

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
You're a girl dad. You're not supposed to like Taylor swift's music.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
If Dylan or Joplin or Kristofferson came along today, they'd never get a chance at breaking into the music scene.

It's all marketing -- Swift is no different from Drake, Ariana, Eminem, or 17n Kid Rock and Morgan Wallen. The industry tells us what to buy and we buy it --or the kids who are into "the latest thing" buy it.

Some of these celebrity artists are talented enough, but the music and musicianship play a backseat to what the industry knows it can sell to the clueless masses. And, FACE IT, most of you guys are as clueless as your starry-eyed teenage daughters and probably have even worst taste.

I'll continue listening to Chopin and Waylon.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If Dylan or Joplin or Kristofferson came along today, they'd never get a chance at breaking into the music scene.

There are more ways to break into the music scene now than there ever were in the old days.

Is that not obvious?

Multiple examples, but Oliver Anthony and Jelly Roll jump immediately to mind.

Reactions: AnesthesiaDawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
There are more ways to break into the music scene now than there ever were in the old days.

Is that not obvious?

Multiple examples, but Oliver Anthony and Jelly Roll jump immediately to mind.
It really is the best time ever if you want to be famous but don't especially have any talent and you're ugly.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
music is a time machine

Reactions: Double Dawg

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
Anything worse? Yes, you covered it...Bro Country. The worst "music" in the history of music. It reminds me that the farting butt from Idiocracy isn't that far away.