OT - Taylor Swift Music - Is There Anything Worse?

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Her music is not for me, but my wife and daughters love her so I know FAR TOO MUCH about her career.

I admire her business acumen. She's been extremely successful while by all accounts still being super friendly and nice to her fans.

I also admire the way she stuck it to the jackass that bought the masters of her original albums by re-recording all her songs and cutting him right out.

Third, I admire the way she holds her head high when dealing with all the petty jealousy that the other 1000 super popular girl-boss flash-in-the-pan 'stars' (looking at you, Katy Perry) threw her way.

Fourth, I admire the way she hadn't melted down and become an eye-rolling caricature of a human being, saying stupid crazy **** for just another 5 minutes of fame.

Fifth, while she's not everyone's cup of tea in the looks department I think she's pretty easy on the eyes.

So while I think her music isn't good, she does a lot of things like a functional adult and someone who's got her head screwed on right. I can get behind that.
Well said, and I'll add Sixth, she takes care of her entire production crew very well. My daughter and wife are Swifties and I'd be taking them to a concert if tickets didn't require a second mortgage.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Well said, and I'll add Sixth, she takes care of her entire production crew very well. My daughter and wife are Swifties and I'd be taking them to a concert if tickets didn't require a second mortgage.
Yeah those concerts cost an arm and a leg and still sell out in minutes. It's crazy to me, but I'd pay good money for the opportunity to see some of my favorite bands too so I kind of get it.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
Wow, old men bitching about Taylor Swift. THIS is really a conversation on this board now?!

OMG…lol

Let me guess, you are an “alpha” too.

F*cking pathetic.

I had the pleasure of taking my daughter to a Taylor Swift show back in 2010. I was one of maybe 5 men in the entire arena (Indianapolis), as it was mostly daughters with their moms. I was a single dad at the time.
I’ve been to hundreds of concerts, ranging from Monsters of Rock to Lollapalooza, Rush to Metallica, Bluegrass to Old country, etc…and I have to say, Taylor Swift’s performance was top notch. And this was over 10 yrs ago. She’s a professional. No, she doesn’t have the perfect voice/presence/etc., but her message in the music is what’s important to the kids that listen to her.
The fact that a ‘girl dad’ would start this thread is just ridiculous.

Good luck.
I think she is amazing. Also think one of the greatest things about music is it's subjective. You don't become a self-made billionaire at her age, or any age, without being great at what you do. What she may lack in voice, she more than makes up in performance, marketing, relatability, and entertainment experience.
Make fun of her all you want, she is flying around in Falcon while the rest of us drive to work.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You can not ignore her success. She's talented. I just don't care for much contemporary music. I like a lot of different styles of music. I just don't care much for the computerized sound you can't escape the last decade or so.

Seshomoru

Apr 24, 2006
My apple music library is pretty much just Taylor Swift, Better than Ezra, Isbell, RHCP, Oasis, Dua Lipa and a playlist of Benatar, Scandal, the Go Gos, Heart, & Lady Gaga.

Fire Away

(pun intended and I know you sang it in your head)

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Many young folks today know the classics from Zeppelin, AC/DC, Skynyrd, Van Halen, Kansas, etc. 40-50 years from now I doubt any kids will know much of today's music. There were a lot of "anthems" created by 70/80s rock bands I just don't think that's the case today.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
My apple music library is pretty much just Taylor Swift, Better than Ezra, Isbell, RHCP, Oasis, Dua Lipa and a playlist of Benatar, Scandal, the Go Gos, Heart, & Lady Gaga.

Fire Away

I'd say that means there's a better than average chance you've had a homosexual experience.

not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019

Fire Away

Better Than Ezra's newest album that was released the first of this month is pretty good.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
So what is this? A bunch of old and middle aged guys complaining about the new generations music? I think there is a Abe Simpson yelling at a cloud gif I should put in here somewhere. Then there are the Taylor defenders that are mostly girl dads. I myself have a little 2 year old hellspawn daughter, and I pray to dad that she is not a Swifty when the time comes. As far as music taste goes I am a Tool and Nirvana guy so I can't really share any of that with a young daughter.

No surprise the Devil is a Tool fan. Of course I think Danny Carey must have made some sort of deal with you as no human being has business being that incredible on the drums.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

Fire Away

- Glfr voting for Trump
- Toag Redloh admitting he was wrong about something he posted
- Huntdawg pulling for the Bulldogs to win
- Seshomoru posting about Lady Gaga

What is... "Things I did not expect to see on SPS today"

LOL Welcome back

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
I've had the misfortune of having to ride with my daughter (no pics) several times over the past few weeks. She's playing the latest Taylor Swift album. My God, it is terrible. Slow, no beat, depressing, just very blah. I wasn't contemplating suicide prior to the ride, but now... Also she listened to a country artist, Zach Bryan (?), he was just as bad.
I haven't read all the comments about your post, but I have a different cross to carry.

My boy is 100% rock. Made sure he appreciates the classics, Blues, and the picking of Bluegrass. Even played me some Edwin Winter for me as a 'check this out' recently. (so happy) But, he is just Metallica to the core. Travelled all over the country to see shows. My Metallica shows seen is catching my Motley Crue total quickly. Plays Explorers and 80's V's.

It has the same gravity as a Swiftie. I hate/love it though.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yeah those concerts cost an arm and a leg and still sell out in minutes. It's crazy to me, but I'd pay good money for the opportunity to see some of my favorite bands too so I kind of get it.

Billy Strings megafans have been known to complain about the difficulties of getting tickets but when they see the Swifties…

mlb entertainment GIF

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Better Than Ezra's newest album that was released the first of this month is pretty good.
I can’t help but think of them in the context that they played a free concert at the amphitheater immediately after the Maine game. While the concert was good, I feel like everyone was walking around in a zombie-like ‘wtf’ state.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Not gonna lie. I like some of her songs. We had a rental in 2014 for the Orange Bowl and it was either pop or Cuban. I chose pop and heard Shake it Off and Uptown Funk so much I ended up liking them. She is not a great singer but writes her own music. I’ll take her any day over the bro country guys that basically have the exact same songs but alternate where the beer, girl, and truck go in the lyrics.

Amen brother
I haven't read all these 100 postings but I was hoping I wasn't the only one w/ this thought. I drove about 3000 miles in 2014 on a cross-country trip with a 4 and 6 year old and we listened to her album (from that year, shake-it-off) about a million times. It's not my favorite, but I'll confess that I actually like most of the songs on there. And I saw Metallica in August and Steve Vai last Friday. so I'd like to think I have decent credentials.

But to answer the original "is there anything worse" - here are just a few , and their names are in lower-case as a sign of disrespect :
travis scott
lil wayne
eminem
the fat white country hick-hop singer with tattoos on his face
morgan wallen
nicki minaj
cardi b
little big town

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
I've had the misfortune of having to ride with my daughter (no pics) several times over the past few weeks. She's playing the latest Taylor Swift album. My God, it is terrible. Slow, no beat, depressing, just very blah. I wasn't contemplating suicide prior to the ride, but now... Also she listened to a country artist, Zach Bryan (?), he was just as bad.
Hope you are half joking about having to ride with your daughter…..that music may be terrible but that ride is really special.