OT: TMB TV/Streaming Shows Club: Thread for streaming/TV show discussion…

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
Party Down returns on February 24 on Starz. Nearly all of the original cast is back, and Nick Offerman will appear in an episode:

Damn that show was awesome back in the day. I have a buddy who had that job. My favorite story was Arnold Schwarzenegger's birthday party where he received a huge bronze statue of himself and loved it. Jackie Chan was trying to butter him up with a Segway.

Good times.

Reactions: Midnighter

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
Eh, I just got around to watching this series, and I found that episode very derivative of what The Walking Dead (and its offspring) often did, taking a break from moving the story forward to dedicate an episode to a character's pre-TWD backstory, or explaining what they did when they went missing/went on a journey in the past.

It's a well done series, but I feel like I'm watching I Am Legend, (the imaginary series version) meets The Walking Dead. But with fungi.
The big difference with TLOU is the relationship between the main characters is the primary focus of the game and the story. Some of the slower action moments from the game are also part of what makes it so compelling. The characters have a lot of depth to them as a result, which directly plays into their actions and choices, which probably won't payoff in the show until some of the later episodes.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Watched Wakanda Forever last night on Disney and meh.
That was my take as well. I thought the first 10 minutes were a really nice tribute to Boseman but the rest of the movie ehhh. And it was too long.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Eh, I just got around to watching this series, and I found that episode very derivative of what The Walking Dead (and its offspring) often did, taking a break from moving the story forward to dedicate an episode to a character's pre-TWD backstory, or explaining what they did when they went missing/went on a journey in the past.

It's a well done series, but I feel like I'm watching I Am Legend, (the imaginary series version) meets The Walking Dead. But with fungi.
I watched Long, long time last night. I don't know anything at all about the game but I thought the episode was really well done. I thought Offerman and Bartlett were very good. Maybe land mark type TV. A couple questions though. I'm guessing Frank had Parkinsons or some debilitating type of disease? How did they know what pills to take and where did they get them?
As for the other episodes I've seen, to me, its The Mandalorian meets The Walking Dead. But I'm liking it.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I watched Long, long time last night. I don't know anything at all about the game but I thought the episode was really well done. I thought Offerman and Bartlett were very good. Maybe land mark type TV. A couple questions though. I'm guessing Frank had Parkinsons or some debilitating type of disease? How did they know what pills to take and where did they get them?
As for the other episodes I've seen, to me, it’s hiThe Mandalorian meets The Walking Dead. But I'm liking it.

Think the writers said cancer. Bill I’m sure is resourceful enough to find something given Frank’s symptoms.

It was a great episode - have to remember that in 2003, gay marriage wasn’t yet legal and open lifestyles were less ubiquitous (but Frank clearly suspects something with Bill rather quickly - I’m certain he botched Long, Long Time on purpose to see Bill’s response - and you can see it in his face when he’s watching Bill play). I don’t know if this same episode hits as hard with a man and a woman; the joy Bill finally has is really hard earned. I also loved that when Frank requested ‘one more perfect day’, he was giving Bill one too given Bill lived to care for Frank. Just tremendous.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbrown

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
That was my take as well. I thought the first 10 minutes were a really nice tribute to Boseman but the rest of the movie ehhh. And it was too long.
Critics love the movie, with 84% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. I trust you guys more than the critics on this one.

Pocono Lion

Oct 7, 2021
New episodes of 1923 started last night. Wonder if Spenser and Alexandra survived the collision with the ghost ship.

Reactions: LHavenlion

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021
Surprised Sudekis survived his public marital spat unscathed but Olivia Wilde is so unlikable it balances out.
“Likeable”

Last edited:

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
I don’t have Straight Man handy at the moment (I gave my copy away, as I said) but I remember asking myself the same question, is Straight Man set in Altoona, and the answer was could be. I’ve never been in Altoona, but Russo’s descriptions of the cities his stories take place in are always detailed and I suppose Altoona might be recognizable. The name of the school Hank Devereaux teaches at is West Central Pennsylvania University, in Railton, Pennsylvania, this from Wiki.

One of the charms of Russo’s novels is his settings in Rust Belt cities. Another is his constant sympathy for his characters, he doesn’t judge.

Straight Man: the funniest book I’ve ever read.
Lucky Hank

Last edited:

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I’ll add Poker Face on Peacock is really really well done and a lot of fun. Natasha Lyonne must have nine lives but she’s been using her last few very well. Rian Johnson (Knives Out) writes and directs - good stuff.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
We just started 'Slow Horses' on Apple TV+ and really enjoy it; very high quality production value and great cast (especially nice seeing Olivia Cooke in something other than House of the Dragon). Apple spends a lot of money on it's shows and it's obvious. Good stuff.

ODShowtime

Nov 1, 2021
Soooo, a little late to the game on this but started Peaky Blinders a couple of days ago. Wow. So damn good.

Re-watching it now since season 6 is out and season 5 got really confusing. I'm just starting season 4 again and man is it bloody... and sad.

Wait until Johnny Dogs shows up, soooo funny! Also, get ready for them to up the ante every season until they've taken on every societal enemy imaginable.

I advise you to use the close captioning.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
I’ll add Poker Face on Peacock is really really well done and a lot of fun. Natasha Lyonne must have nine lives but she’s been using her last few very well. Rian Johnson (Knives Out) writes and directs - good stuff.
The most recent episode of Poker Face has Nick Nolte and a surprise cameo near the end of the episode from Sean Ono Lennon!!

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Clarkson’s Farm on Amazon Prime stars Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear fame attempting to become a successful farmer. Great show - 2 seasons long.