OT: TVs

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Lost an 11 year old Samsung plasma last night. Getting power, because the power light blinks when you hit the power button on the remote. It just never turns on. We have another LED that we've temporarily moved. I've googled till my head is spinning, trying to figure out the differences between QLED, OLED, Mini LED, and what to get. I understand OLED has the premium picture, but has trouble with a brightly lit room. QLED is a Samsung technology, but doesn't have Dolby Vision. Sony Bravia Mini LED seems to be a happy medium on handling brightly lit rooms, but it's more priced near the OLED than the QLED. What y'all got? What are the latest features to look for?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Lost an 11 year old Samsung plasma last night. Getting power, because the power light blinks when you hit the power button on the remote. It just never turns on. We have another LED that we've temporarily moved. I've googled till my head is spinning, trying to figure out the differences between QLED, OLED, Mini LED, and what to get. I understand OLED has the premium picture, but has trouble with a brightly lit room. QLED is a Samsung technology, but doesn't have Dolby Vision. Sony Bravia Mini LED seems to be a happy medium on handling brightly lit rooms, but it's more priced near the OLED than the QLED. What y'all got? What are the latest features to look for?
Unless you are going to hang blackout curtains or remodel the room to accommodate different lighting conditions every time you turn the set on or as the sun moves across the sky then you are way overthinking that part

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I went with a mini-led for the bright room factor. I got an LG qned85 as shown in the video below. In the video it shows qned86 but that's because its the European model. Same thing tho.I really like it and would buy again. If you don't mind paying 50% more check out Sony's x95k.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Stop scaring me, my 14 year old Samsung plasma is still going strong and I dont ever want to have to replace it.

Irony. Best tvs ever made and they stopped production because the masses thought they would break easy.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Ironic timing on this topic. I was looking at Sam's last night at TVs --- surpirsed at how much prices have dropped in this area. The way they had the TVs displayed, it was easy to compare pictures and features. But honestly, the prices were much lower than I anticipated.

Personally, I am partial to Samsung because of their track history for performance (i.e. they last for a decade or longer).

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Stop scaring me, my 14 year old Samsung plasma is still going strong and I dont ever want to have to replace it.

Irony. Best tvs ever made and they stopped production because the masses thought they would break easy.
I have had an LG plasma for around 12 years. It’s still going strong. We have it in our guest room/office now. Still looks okay because the refresh rate is decent thanks to plasma.

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
Buy the best Samsung qled or sony oled you can afford.
I don’t know how the picture would compare to plasma, but I love the ones I have.
paired up with a Sonos sound system. It will rattle my walls.

buy from greentoe.com to save $$$

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Ironic timing on this topic. I was looking at Sam's last night at TVs --- surpirsed at how much prices have dropped in this area. The way they had the TVs displayed, it was easy to compare pictures and features. But honestly, the prices were much lower than I anticipated.

Personally, I am partial to Samsung because of their track history for performance (i.e. they last for a decade or longer).
I bought a 75” qled from Sams at the beginning of last football season. I have a lot of windows and it does great with all the natural light. And i live in the sticks so it gets pitch black as well, and it does great in the dark. I think I paid $1k? I just saw an 80” or 85” there earlier this week and now wish I would have waited. Great tv.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Just bought a 50” Phillips smarttv at Walmart for $218. While inflation hits everywhere else, it ain’t hitting TVs.

Last edited:
Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
we have a 75 inch Samsung QLED. Great picture and sound. Hope it lasts a long time. If I was doing it over I would buy the cheapest 85 inch between LG or Samsung.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
I went with a mini-led for the bright room factor. I got an LG qned85 as shown in the video below. In the video it shows qned86 but that's because its the European model. Same thing tho.I really like it and would buy again. If you don't mind paying 50% more check out Sony's x95k.

I’ve read the Sony X95K is a blend of OLED and QLED technologies and is the best picture out there. I’ve seen its praise in multiple articles.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Over the past 6 or 7 years, I've had one Samsung and two LGs to die. The Best Buy extended warranty paid for the two LGs (one of the few times extended warranties have worked for me). I now have a Sony - so far, so good.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Buy the cheapest that'll fit. In a few years when it goes TU, buy another. It seams as though the quatily if Samsung has really come back to the middle.

Reactions: onewoof

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
I have a 85” Samsung LED. I love it. But I’m not real picky. Everything looks great to these bad eyes

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Still rocking with an old Sharp 60" AQUOS since 2008. Think it was made at the Memphis plant. Phenomenal LCD tv. Picture quality is still as good as any newer tv I have seen. I think Sharp was bought by another Japanese company and may be trying to revive the old Sharp brand. I love my tv, but it is a monster to move around.....not one of those thin tvs.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Whatever you do, don’t buy into the “8K” scam that is currently out there for newer TV’s. 8K is literally never, ever going to be a thing. Hell, 4K is barely even widely available for live streaming TV even now after its been out for nearly a decade. And even if it ever is available, there have been multiple studies that prove that no human eyes positioned at a safe viewing distance can tell the difference between 4K and 8K.

FWIW, I have two Samsung QLED’s (50” and 65”) that I have been really happy with. Great picture and no problems at all. Also still rocking my old 55” Panasonic Viera plasma in the bedroom. Hope she’s got a few years left in her. Nothing better than plasma for live sports, even now.

Reactions: patdog

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
What size are you looking for?

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Still rocking with an old Sharp 60" AQUOS since 2008. Think it was made at the Memphis plant. Phenomenal LCD tv. Picture quality is still as good as any newer tv I have seen. I think Sharp was bought by another Japanese company and may be trying to revive the old Sharp brand. I love my tv, but it is a monster to move around.....not one of those thin tvs.
If u r gonna hang on it. Get the LG G2… if not get the LG C2 or the Sony a90j. Depends on what OS u want. Sony had google Tv and LG has webos 22. Big differences.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
My go to brands are LG and Vizio. It’s hard to beat the price of Vizio TVs and I’ve had really good luck out of them. I just had to replace one that was 12 years old. LG makes really good high quality TVs but they are a little higher in price. I bought a 70 inch LG on sale a couple of years ago and it has worked great.

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
I’ve been buying mid-price TVs all my life, in a “I’m not going to spend a lot of $ on this” kind of way. Had <10 yr old Walmart-level Sonys in my living room and den, and when one of them died I decided to upgrade both, and spend some money for once. Bought a Sony OLED 4k from Sony’s higher-end line for the living room, and to appease my decorator bought a Samsung Frame QLED 4k (it turns into a painting when you turn it off - I know, I know) for the den.

The difference has been amazing. The Sony in the living room is the best image I’ve ever seen on a TV, and the way it stays so good even with a lot of movement (like football) is unbelievable. The Samsung is just as incredible, with the only difference being that it looks a lil more gray when looking at it from the side than the Sony. But I don’t regret taking the gloves off and spending some money at all. Wish I’d done it sooner tbh.

Last edited:

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
If u r gonna hang on it. Get the LG G2… if not get the LG C2 or the Sony a90j. Depends on what OS u want. Sony had google Tv and LG has webos 22. Big differences.
Yeah OLED is supposed to be today's equivalent to a Plasma. I never had a Plasma so no experience there. But take a look at the below reviewer comparing OLED to the new mini-led tv's. Again I went with a mini-led because of my bright living room and OLED struggles in that environment. One thing this guy says towards the end is "you really have to work hard to buy a bad tv today". Lots of good ones out there.

Mar 3, 2008
I had a 55 inch Samsung that died on us a few weeks ago. This will kill some of y’all. I got a tape measure and figured out how big we could go without cover the bookends. My wife go in line and looked about three places. We bought a 65 in Toshiba from Best Buy just one price alone. Went to pick it up and they didn’t even have one out on the floor plugged in. Got my kids each a 36 in the same day and paid less then what we paid for the Samsung 10 years ago. Everything about the new tv so far are great for us. It’s just not something we put a lot of thought into. Like the video above I think it’s hard to go buy a bad tv these days unless you just need out on that stuff. Now if it was a lawn mower or some outdoor equipment I’d do the same.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Great prices in time for this year's 4K super bowl (add 4k TV service from your TV provider)

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I have every streaming app on Google TV and it costs less than a replacement remote for Apple TV. But keep on throwing money at Apple's 2 trillion dollar business bc "it's better"
It doesn't allow for comcast/Xfinity Stream app. So if you get service from them, you'll have an issue and either switch services or pay more.

SuspectZero

Mar 3, 2008
That happened on my old plasma. Called the TV repairman out. He took the back off and replaced 2 little pieces and was done. Took 15 minutes and saved us a bunch of money. Wish I still had that tv

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Go to the website rtings.com. It has great information about a bunch of TVs and their formats.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I've been very impressed with TCL. Best bang-for-your-buck, IMO. If you go that way, go with their best series with QLED.

QLED is close in quality picture to OLED without the downside of OLED. OLED, being organic tends to not hold the picture quality for as many years as QLED. If you figure on replacing in 5 or so years, either. If you think you might still be watching this thing in 10, 15 or more years, go with the QLED.

I've owned 2 plasma TV's, including a Panasonic that is still going strong after 20+ years. Also had a Samsung plasma I bought at the same time. Also worked great for 20 years. Gave it to a buddy when I bought the TCL.

If I recall correctly, plasma lost out to LED, not due to quality, but because they were more expensive to make and much heavier. Overall, I think the plasmas were actually better, but not enough to overcome the cost/weight factors.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Advise I have not seen, but
Go to Sams Club, Best Buy, Walmart Etc. Anywhere that they have live Tv's playing, and pick out what looks good to you.
That is what is important, then compare details.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Looking at TV's in stores is a good idea, but only if you can change the settings. Stores are notorious for setting the TV's at levels that you would not do at home. Also avoid comparing TV's at any place that does not offer the right kind of lighting. Some tv's are much better than others with a lot of ambient light, and others better in a controlled environment.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
update: went with the Sony Bravia QD-OLED A95K. Little higher price point, at $3 K for the 65", but man, the thing is amazing. no haloing around lettering on the screen, pure blacks, fast motion of football is flawless, and WAY brighter than old OLEDs, for brighter lit rooms

Reactions: Anon1664516582

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
update: went with the Sony Bravia QD-OLED A95K. Little higher price point, at $3 K for the 65", but man, the thing is amazing. no haloing around lettering on the screen, pure blacks, fast motion of football is flawless, and WAY brighter than old OLEDs, for brighter lit rooms
I love mine

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
3k is a chunk of change to spend on a tv. Hope you love it.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
The high end Sony’s, LG’s and Samsung have better processors… so if u do a lot of gaming… it’s worth the money. LG is best for gaming. The other brands are ok if u don’t plan on gaming. However… I wouldn’t buy a Hisense. It’s Chinese and I am not giving those ******* any of my money. They killed my Uncle in a POW Camp in North Korea in 1951.