OT- UPC files suit against ACC in Pickens County.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
They are trying to argue that the GOR does not include games after they leave the conference, which is pretty weak. That's the entire point of a GOR.

FootballLVR

Sep 25, 2023
I was reluctant, at first to post that here this morning because I am aware of the intense hatred of Clemson here (which I understand). However, I think Carolina fans need to come to terms with Clemson eventually landing in the SEC.
Heck. I hate them too. I remember when we left the ACC. times have changed. The idea that it’s all about TV market’s isn’t what it used to be. Now it’s about eyes looking at the game. They are relevant and marketable in football. That’s what matters. Me hating that doesn’t change it.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Heck. I hate them too. I remember when we left the ACC. times have changed. The idea that it’s all about TV market’s isn’t what it used to be. Now it’s about eyes looking at the game. They are relevant and marketable in football. That’s what matters. Me hating that doesn’t change it.
Clemson fans should be careful what they wish for. Their recruiting pitch and advantage of practically a guaranteed road to the playoffs will evaporate. Thus SEC membership will NOT give them a leg up in recruiting.. But their conference competition difficulty will increase exponentially. There's a reason why Bobby Bowden chose to go the ACC route over the SEC.

RevRuss

Feb 2, 2022
Why would we ever want anybody in our conference that would sue their own conference because they think they made a bad deal? Kind of like encouraging people to join your church who quit their church because the pastor hurt their feelings. Character counts and bad character should not be rewarded. Free Shoes & Clempson should stop being whiney crybabies and live up to their word. Rather invite UCF and ECU instead if we feel the need to expand.

Reactions: mchuckyz and vacock

FootballLVR

Sep 25, 2023
Clemson fans should be careful what they wish for. Their recruiting pitch and advantage of practically a guaranteed road to the playoffs will evaporate. Thus SEC membership will NOT give them a leg up in recruiting.. But their conference competition difficulty will increase exponentially. There's a reason why Bobby Bowden chose to go the ACC route over the SEC.
They would have more money. They have a proven commodity almost every year. Their tv numbers are high. SEC and B1G get more automatic teams in the 12 team playoffs. It might actually be easier depending on who they draw if they were in SEC.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
F$U faculty.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Why would we ever want anybody in our conference that would sue their own conference because they think they made a bad deal? Kind of like encouraging people to join your church who quit their church because the pastor hurt their feelings. Character counts and bad character should not be rewarded. Free Shoes & Clempson should stop being whiney crybabies and live up to their word. Rather invite UCF and ECU instead if we feel the need to expand.
Why would the SEC admit as a member a school that agreed to certain academic standards for athletes in their former conference, then later wanted their former conference to lower the standards that they and the other 7 conference members agreed to, and when the conference would barely budge, left in a huff?

Reactions: LazyIslander

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Ideally, the suits should get tossed. But IMO, Clemron & F$U will make enough noise that the ACC will just be glad to get rid of said members.

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I was reluctant, at first to post that here this morning because I am aware of the intense hatred of Clemson here (which I understand). However, I think Carolina fans need to come to terms with Clemson eventually landing in the SEC.

Reactions: Backyard Archer

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Here's the deal. They have looked the situation over and have determined that they can benefit if things get shaken up, which they might. Either they have concluded that it is safe for them to move ahead with little risk, or they and FSU have found a wedge. It is unlikely that this ends with the status quo intact.

Last edited:

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Here's the deal. They have looked things over and have determined that they can benefit if things get shaken up, which they might. Either they have concluded that it is safe for them to move ahead with little risk, or they and FSU have found a wedge. It is unlikely that this ends with the status quo intact.

Reactions: KingWard

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Here's the deal. They have looked things over and have determined that they can benefit if things get shaken up, which they might. Either they have concluded that it is safe for them to move ahead with little risk, or they and FSU have found a wedge. It is unlikely that this ends with the status quo intact.
I understand they may feel they have found a wedge but the little risk part I'm not sure about.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Their only risk lies in attorney fees. I'll say it right now: they will be out of the ACC well before the GOR "deal" expires and for much less than the "coupon" value.
Attorney fees for sure! If it ends up something other than status quo, there will be counter suits galore.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Attorney fees for sure! If it ends up something other than status quo, there will be counter suits galore.
No countersuits if there's a settlement. More likely to be appeals than countersuits if it goes to trial and the ACC position is ruled against. Countersuits will come sooner, not later. There has already been one filed by the ACC in N.C.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

muscleknight

Jan 20, 2022
I want the absolute worst outcome for Clemson and that is the ACC booting them out and they don't get picked up by any other conference

Reactions: DrMickeySC

DrStrat

Dec 2, 2022
It only benefits us for them to join
It never benefits you to give your advantage to your rival. Also until a new contract for the SEC is due, it would cost you a share of your income to let them in. I doubt they will be able to break a contract they signed twice. Also the SEC‘s ability to negotiate a new contract when this contract is ended would be to expand its market into North Carolina and Virginia.

Reactions: moouclem

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
It never benefits you to give your advantage to your rival. Also until a new contract for the SEC is due, it would cost you a share of your income to let them in. I doubt they will be able to break a contract they signed twice. Also the SEC‘s ability to negotiate a new contract when this contract is ended would be to expand its market into North Carolina and Virginia.
If the SEC admits them, it will be because they see some advantage in it. You can bet the house, the car, one of your kidneys, and your children's eyes on that.

DrStrat

Dec 2, 2022
If the SEC admits them, it will be because they see some advantage in it. You can bet the house, the car, one of your kidneys, and your children's eyes on that.
You’re right . That’s why they won’t be admitted. Clemson offers no market value. Clemson apparently realizes as time goes on with their money disadvantage their program will suffer. Their value would be more suited to the Big 10, not to the SEC.

Reactions: moouclem

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
You’re right . That’s why they won’t be admitted. Clemson offers no market value. Clemson apparently realizes as time goes on with their money disadvantage their program will suffer. Their value would be more suited to the Big 10, not to the SEC.
No, Sir. Their academic profile will not be sufficient for admission into the Big 10. Look closer to home.

Greer

Jan 2, 2024
I kind of doubt Clemson is pitching a guaranteed road to the playoffs since it has been 3-4 years since they have been in the playoffs after a long run of success. I think they pitch that they will prepare you for life. You look at some of the programs they have like guaranteeing to pay for you to finish your education if you go pro early and leave in good standing and more money is only going to help with this. I tend to think both Clemson and FSU have thought this out for months and it isn't a knee jerk reaction. I also think we will see 1-2 more teams sue the ACC prior to the start of football season, likley UNC and MIami or UVA. These schools are acting in a coordinated manner and staggering their suits so they can see the ACC response and adjust the approach. Bobby Bowden was quite a while ago and the sport has changed a lot since then.

Greer

Jan 2, 2024
Here's the deal. They have looked the situation over and have determined that they can benefit if things get shaken up, which they might. Either they have concluded that it is safe for them to move ahead with little risk, or they and FSU have found a wedge. It is unlikely that this ends with the status quo intact.
I think you are correct that they have found a wedge.

Latest posts