OT: What do y'all make of gold's recent rally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
and "if **** goes to hell so bad cash is worthless", the markets and banks will close. Where is your gold, your sock drawer? How are you going to get change for some groceries if you hand over a nugget, bar, or worthless certificate? A 1oz gold bar worth lets say $2500, you going to buy $2500 worth of groceries? I think it will be interesting to watch people try to barter w/ g
Back in 2016 to 2018 I bought 300.00 worth of silver every month. I stopped buying it. They told me it would take five to six years before I saw profit. If you send them 2500.00 you will not buy 2500.00 worth of gold. You lose money at first. That how they make money. I really could not figure it out, so I stopped. I was buying a Canadian silver nickel. I pay 38.00 a year for storage. I probably should ask them to send my nickels to me. I bet I could buy food with those.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
This is an interesting discussion. It was retweeted by a commodity guy I’ve read for years, Darin Newsom, who is about as level headed and pretty much as apolitical as they come.

Reactions: pseudonym

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
33 year old doomer: The US is failing, buy Bitcoin.

54 year old doomer: The US is failing, buy Gold.

Warren Buffett: All these idiots are tweeting and typing this nonsense on their iPhones, buy Apple.

“With an asset like gold, for example, you know, basically gold is a way of going long on fear, and it’s been a pretty good way of going long on fear from time to time. But you really have to hope people become more afraid in a year or two years than they are now. And if they become more afraid you make money, if they become less afraid you lose money. But the gold itself doesn’t produce anything.” — Buffett

Picks and shovels boys, picks and shovels.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Interesting that you don't mention the guy who constantly praises dictators for their unwavering control, has continually promised to exact retribution against political opponents when he is in power, praises people who violently attacked police and calls the convict ones hostages, and has praised Authoritarianistic ideas and values countless times.

- I don't want Biden to run again.
- I don't want Trump to run again.
- I don't think Democracy will literally end regardless of who wins In November.
- Regardless of who wins, I do think the country will continue to be less of a functional Democractic republic than it was before 2016
That guy that I did not mention will……….

Shut down the borders of the U.S. cold on day 1 other than commercial traffic.

Have gas prices drop to less than $2 per gallon within a few months.

Deport 10-15 million illegal immigrants within his 4 year term.

Complete the 30’ high border wall over mountains, through valleys, and into the deserts.

Lower crime rates by at least 25% or more all across our country within months.

Have economy roaring at about 4-6% or more within a year or two. (deficit will drop because of it)

Will again have the lowest unemployment rates for African-Americans in history.

Will keep the income tax decrease which was implemented by him in his first term.

Will reduce taxes even further for all Americans.

Stop bad actor nations from aggressive tactics like Russia, Iran, and China have planned.

Build our military back up and reimplement “Peace Through Strength”.

Support our primary Middle Eastern ally, Israel, in all they do to eliminate Hamas, Hezbollah, etc.

Continue to eliminate stupid regulations which strangle our economy.

Allow abortion laws/rules to fall back to the states since our Constitution does NOT address it.

Stop our intelligence agencies from spying on American citizens without cause or proper court approval.

So much more that I don’t have time to mention……and will get done fast.

• Haha
Reactions: ckDOG

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
This is an interesting discussion. It was retweeted by a commodity guy I’ve read for years, Darin Newsom, who is about as level headed and pretty much as apolitical as they come.

I think as the US dollar loses reserve status (not saying it goes away completely), the replacement will not be another country's currency. I think there will be a move to neutral assets like gold and bitcoin.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
33 year old doomer: The US is failing, buy Bitcoin.

54 year old doomer: The US is failing, buy Gold.

Warren Buffett: All these idiots are tweeting and typing this nonsense on their iPhones, buy Apple.

“With an asset like gold, for example, you know, basically gold is a way of going long on fear, and it’s been a pretty good way of going long on fear from time to time. But you really have to hope people become more afraid in a year or two years than they are now. And if they become more afraid you make money, if they become less afraid you lose money. But the gold itself doesn’t produce anything.” — Buffett

Picks and shovels boys, picks and shovels.
"Gold is money, everything else is credit."
- JP Morgan - 1912

"Bitcoin is money, everything else is credit."
- JP Morgan - 2012

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think as the US dollar loses reserve status (not saying it goes away completely), the replacement will not be another country's currency. I think there will be a move to neutral assets like gold and bitcoin.
There’s been quite an effort from several not so friendly countries around the world to get rid of the dollar as a world currency.

Reactions: pseudonym

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
That guy that I did not mention will……….

Shut down the borders of the U.S. cold on day 1 other than commercial traffic.

Have gas prices drop to less than $2 per gallon within a few months.

Deport 10-15 million illegal immigrants within his 4 year term.

Complete the 30’ high border wall over mountains, through valleys, and into the deserts.

Lower crime rates by at least 25% or more all across our country within months.

Have economy roaring at about 4-6% or more within a year or two. (deficit will drop because of it)

Will again have the lowest unemployment rates for African-Americans in history.

Will keep the income tax decrease which was implemented by him in his first term.

Will reduce taxes even further for all Americans.

Stop bad actor nations from aggressive tactics like Russia, Iran, and China have planned.

Build our military back up and reimplement “Peace Through Strength”.

Support our primary Middle Eastern ally, Israel, in all they do to eliminate Hamas, Hezbollah, etc.

Continue to eliminate stupid regulations which strangle our economy.

Allow abortion laws/rules to fall back to the states since our Constitution does NOT address it.

Stop our intelligence agencies from spying on American citizens without cause or proper court approval.

So much more that I don’t have time to mention……and will get done fast.

I think we should bookmark this little gem.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I doubt there will be a sudden societal collapse (assuming there's no unforeseen meteor strike or series of massive volcano eruptions), we'll just get fatter, dumber and lazier as a society. There is certainly no legit military threat to the mainland US, but smaller scale terrorist attacks will continue and there will be cyber attacks on critical infrastructure (electrical grid, pipelines, etc.) The movie Idocracy was set 500 years in the future, I think they were off on their timeline, we'll be there in 50 years.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I doubt there will be a sudden societal collapse (assuming there's no unforeseen meteor strike or series of massive volcano eruptions), we'll just get fatter, dumber and lazier as a society. There is certainly no legit military threat to the mainland US, but smaller scale terrorist attacks will continue and there will be cyber attacks on critical infrastructure (electrical grid, pipelines, etc.) The movie Idocracy was set 500 years in the future, I think they were off on their timeline, we'll be there in 50 years.
I think you’re underestimating how much long term damage small scale terror attacks can do. A few dozen agents with some wxplosives and a knowledge of critical infrastructure and we’d be 17ed. Luckily everybody in government is aware of this and wouldn’t make it easy to sneak terrorists into the country.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I think you’re underestimating how much long term damage small scale terror attacks can do. A few dozen agents with some wxplosives and a knowledge of critical infrastructure and we’d be 17ed. Luckily everybody in government is aware of this and wouldn’t make it easy to sneak terrorists into the country.
That happened last August in California, there are still no leads in the attack. https://www.power-grid.com/td/fbi-offers-reward-following-california-substation-attack/#gref

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Why sneak them in, when we have plenty of fascists already here willing to do it?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Why sneak them in, when we have plenty of fascists already here willing to do it?

As bad as antifa is, they are thankfully mostly too stupid for things like that. Most of them are just spoiled brats who are larping, some of them are just semi functioning mentally ill people. I don't even think a foreign power could effectively use them because I don't think they could keep anything secret.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If the old Dem in there now gets reelected, yes, our democracy is certainly in doubt....especially when he turns it over to Kamala. Precious metals have always been good smart investments for the long term. I would always keep 10-20% of my assets in Gold/Silver/other metals, etc.
Tell me how our democracy is more at risk with a lifetime moderate politician vs a lifetime criminal who tries to stay in power via violence, fails, suggests that perhaps the constitution should be suspended on his behalf, praises world dictators and how they exercise control, and for whom nearly all of his former cabinet and staff, including former VP say is unfit for office? <- all of this is is factual and easy to verify, so I expect you to devolve into some right-wing talking points, but I would be genuinely curious to know how you dismiss any one of these as nbd, much less all of them. And I didn't even get into the abuse of women and other moral failings that should matter to "Christians" (not that I know if you are one or not)

PS: I can't imagine that Kamala is worse than whatever MAGA anti-American would sign up to be Trump's VP. Can you tell what scares you about her? I have ideas...

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004

William Devane is here for this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: mcdawg22
Status
Not open for further replies.