Pat Forde on Dan Patrick mentions MSU

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Dan had Pat Forde on to discuss the settlement. Pat multiple times mentioned Mississippi State as the example of the school that won't be able to keep up with it's competition in this new reality.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Dan had Pat Forde on to discuss the settlement. Pat multiple times mentioned Mississippi State as the example of the school that won't be able to keep up with it's competition in this new reality.
Yeah a lot of us won't. $20M payroll won't be an easy thing to deal with for most programs.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Forde is an intelligent guy and a good reporter, but he is also a total ***.

I think we will be shocked to hear the portion of that $20 million annually that the athletes are already receiving with Scholarships, Full Cost of Attendance stipends, health/medical coverage, tutors, etc.

This settlement will be the end of major athletics for schools outside the Power 4 and it will be a real challenge for the Big 12 & possibly ACC schools.

All the schools in the Big Ten & SEC will be fine unless the conferences decide to get rid of some schools.

Last edited:

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Forde is an intelligent guy and a good reporter, but he is also a total ***.

I think we will be shocked to hear the portion of that $20 million annually that the athletes are already receiving with Scholarships, Full Cost of Attendance stipends, health/medical coverage, tutors, etc.

This settlement will be the end of major athletics for schools outside the Power 4 and it will be a real challenge for the Big 12 & possibly ACC schools.

All the schools in the Big Ten & SEC unless the conferences decide to get rid of some schools.
I think the 20 million is above all existing costs.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Mark my word, it's going to get to the point where you have to start paying to watch the games on TV. IT'S COMING. The NFL experimented with it the last couple of years on Amazon Prime.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
I think the 20 million is above all existing costs.
No doubt that it is above all current costs, but we will be shocked at the current number. My opinion is that the projected numbers are manageable for the MSU Athletic Department at current attendance & revenue levels. They will probably need to tap some obvious opportunities for additional revenue (folks with outfield rigs need to be reaching for the wallet/checkbook)

I have felt for years that the opportunity for the $ required for athlete compensation needs to come out of the coaching salaries that are so far out of control.

Reactions: Gooserip

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I think we won't be able to keep up with the competition across all sports, but we can for certain ones if we play it smart.
I'd look to change our approach to staffing at almost all levels (coaching certain sports aside) to intentionally being a stepping-stone.
I also expect this means giving up hope of program-building for certain money-losing sports.

ETA: We can also hope that all schools will unite in slashing football coaching salaries where they're out of control.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The $20M cap actually makes us a lot MORE competitive with the big schools. Let’s say Texas is spending $10 on NIL & we’re spending $2M. Both schools add $20M from their SEC distributions. That narrows the percentage gap to $30M and $22M. Huge win for Mississippi State.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I'm talking about PPV.
So, you are talking about how it worked in the 00s, before everything was consolidated into a nice and orderly platform and more content is available than ever before.
Back then I could pay $40 or so to watch MSU play on ppv.

Reactions: Dawgg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
So, you are talking about how it worked in the 00s, before everything was consolidated into a nice and orderly platform and more content is available than ever before.
I fondly recall dropping $9.99 to Starksville Cable to watch us get our *** kicked at Auburn in 2003 or so. The picture quality was a hair better than the Zapruder film.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We will be able to compete in football somewhat, simply because of the TV money. As long as we stay in the SEC/P5/whatever they call it, we will be fine. Now how long do we fund non-revenue sports? Well, that will be up to the cigar boys I guess. That is a 100% unintended consequence that I've been warning people about for months.

The problem for us is if there is every a break-away from within the P5. I mean we all know this. That's when TV money will be taken away, and we're left to rely on our own money in the G5. THAT is when I think we drop like a rock, because there's a lot of schools out there that want it more than we do, IMO, but we've always had that SEC status/money to fall back on.

Reactions: patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
There is probably a tipping point coming soon. An invisible line where the NFL may run the risk out pricing itself. $5 here, $20 there heads up after a while people get tired of paying that much for it. I think it may be like they the movie industry. People just got tired of spending that much money at the theater.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Been concerned about this issue for some time. Good luck,
I'm afraid this anaconda is going to strangle itself, and take college sports with it.
And the real losers with be the athletes.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Since Jackie arrived, we have generally punched above our weight. I’m not saying this new reality will be easy but I don’t think it’s a death blow. We’ve always had to do more with less and nothing about that is changing.

Reactions: patdog and dorndawg

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
There is probably a tipping point coming soon. An invisible line where the NFL may run the risk out pricing itself. $5 here, $20 there heads up after a while people get tired of paying that much for it. I think it may be like they the movie industry. People just got tired of spending that much money at the theater.
I think you’re right and I think the NFL is intentionally trying to find that line. Thus far, they have had no problem getting people to sign up for whatever is necessary to watch a game.

Unlike college football, which shouldn’t be a for profit business, the NFL should be pushing their consumers right to the max. Otherwise they are leaving money on the table.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I guess it could be either but it's going to happen. We aren't going to get the games w/o having to pay more than what we do now.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Anyone with any common sense has realized this for quite sometime now. I hope the new league opens soon.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

PointAfter

Nov 28, 2017
If 20 mil is the salary cap, what will be the penalty for exceeding the cap? The schools that cheat now won’t let the 20 mil limit hold them back if they have unlimited resources (cash)

Reactions: Anon1665155225

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Yea - nothing is going to change. There will just be $$$ under the table too.

Unless the NCAA gets some teeth with their penalties.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I don't see this latest settlement offer by the ncaa/schools as a plus or minus regarding States ability to compete. I think all schools paying tv money, allows all schools to raise their offers to athletes.

With that said, I think where State will see and feel the pain is in facilities. Taking 20million away from our budget will lessen the money for capital improvements and all the little nice things, like drone shows and fireworks. Here we are in 2024 and &elmons first priority for football improvements is an IPF. Also maybe some assistant salaries get cut (maybe that falls under the compete category). Anyways, we can pay the salary but we will trim a lot of fat.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
With that said, I think where State will see and feel the pain is in facilities. Taking 20million away from our budget will lessen the money for capital improvements and all the little nice things, like drone shows and fireworks.
.....and non-revenue sports. Specifically men's.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The salary cap will be set at the median. We will be fine.

NIL needs to be watched as part of this new plan. Make them official endorsement deals like the NFL.

PointAfter

Nov 28, 2017
If all athletes will be paid, will Title 9 still apply? What if you can’t “hire” enough soccer players to field a team because you are spending salary money on other sports?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
The $20M cap actually makes us a lot MORE competitive with the big schools. Let’s say Texas is spending $10 on NIL & we’re spending $2M. Both schools add $20M from their SEC distributions. That narrows the percentage gap to $30M and $22M. Huge win for Mississippi State.
Does this really just raise the floor? So we can have $20MM in "legal" payouts to kids now. Should we assume that all of the illegal payouts will stop, or should we assume that we now have $20MM legal + whatever other stupid under the table money boosters want to toss at kids?

Reactions: Maroon13

patdog

May 28, 2007
Does this really just raise the floor? So we can have $20MM in "legal" payouts to kids now. Should we assume that all of the illegal payouts will stop, or should we assume that we now have $20MM legal + whatever other stupid under the table money boosters want to toss at kids?
It’s $20M + whatever outside NIL money you can raise. No need to have any “under the table” money these days since it’s all legal. The absolute gap between us and the elite schools won’t change. But the percentage gap will close substantially. Instead of paying maybe 20% what they’re paying, we’ll be able to pay 60%.

Reactions: Maroon13

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It’s $20M + whatever outside NIL money you can raise. No need to have any “under the table” money these days since it’s all legal. The absolute gap between us and the elite schools won’t change. But the percentage gap will close substantially. Instead of paying maybe 20% what they’re paying, we’ll be able to pay 60%.
I misunderstood. So NIL will be the difference.

ETA: School success = Size of Conference Payouts > NIL > $20MM Limit; in other words, if you aren't in a rich conference, then you are screwed by default, if you are in a rich conference the $20MM is not a game changer, and NIL is.

Last edited:
Reactions: patdog and onewoof

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Fine. I'll buy my "Mississippi State Platinum Edition" College Football 25 to contribute to the "cause."

patdog

May 28, 2007
If all athletes will be paid, will Title 9 still apply? What if you can’t “hire” enough soccer players to field a team because you are spending salary money on other sports?
Per the Ross Dellenger story, that’s not known. Each school will decide how to split the money between the sports. If you divide it equally, you run the risk your football players sue you for not paying them their fair value. If you weight it to the revenue sports you run the risk of a Title IX lawsuit. The smart schools will pay the revenue sports more until they’re forced not to.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
If 20 mil is the salary cap, what will be the penalty for exceeding the cap? The schools that cheat now won’t let the 20 mil limit hold them back if they have unlimited resources (cash)
Nothing. They'll just do it through NIL

patdog

May 28, 2007
That will be pretty easy to audit. And the plaintiff attorneys will be auditing compliance.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Keep my school's name out of your mouth, Pat!
Will Smith Punch GIF by Xavier Degraux

Reactions: Old Fart Dawg