Pat Forde on Dan Patrick mentions MSU

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I think the financial gap between MSU and the “Big Boys” is larger in 2024 than it was in 2014.

When we were doing all of this under the table there were a lot of people who just decided to stay out of it at other schools and MSU. I think that’s changed with NIL now. Even if we’re keeping pace with the growth rate (we probably aren’t) a 40% increase from $10M means a lot more $ in student athletes’ hands than a 40% increase from $3M.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Dan had Pat Forde on to discuss the settlement. Pat multiple times mentioned Mississippi State as the example of the school that won't be able to keep up with it's competition in this new reality.
And in other news....a new study finds that the sun rises in the east.*********************************************

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Just throwing more money in any situation will fix it every time. I am sure that college football will be better than ever. **

• Haha
Reactions: Ranchdawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Reminds me of Pat's career. He can't keep up with the new reality in journalism.
There’s no real, honest, quality journalism left. Everyone either has an agenda to push, or it’s just some half hearted rubbish. It’s all pretty much just crap and no matter who or what, you always end up wondering what the true, accurate information really is, no matter the subject.

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Well, I guess I need to up that Bulldog Initiative monthly contribution again.

Party Dancing GIF by Florida Georgia Line

Reactions: Dawgpile

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
I fondly recall dropping $9.99 to Starksville Cable to watch us get our *** kicked at Auburn in 2003 or so. The picture quality was a hair better than the Zapruder film.
i watched the Egg Bowl on Rankin County Cablevision in 1991 with 3 friends , me and a Bulldog friend and 2 rebel friends... i don't have any recollection of how much it cost though... back then that was just the coolest thing ever...

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
i watched the Egg Bowl on Rankin County Cablevision in 1991 with 3 friends , me and a Bulldog friend and 2 rebel friends... i don't have any recollection of how much it cost though... back then that was just the coolest thing ever...
Yeah that shiit was COLD in 1991. I don't recall that being available where I lived, we only had the 8' satellites but I just don't recall college sporting events on PPV.

HOWEVER, my dad had a plug for bootleg access cards for the receiver on the satellite. Which meant I got to see all the rasslin' PPV's and stuff from that era. You couldn't tell me nuthin' the next day at school.

Reactions: drexeldog23

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
We have to get more creative making money. Ole Miss Athletics netted $3Million on the 2 Morgan Wallen Concerts

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
Yeah that shiit was COLD in 1991. I don't recall that being available where I lived, we only had the 8' satellites but I just don't recall college sporting events on PPV.

HOWEVER, my dad had a plug for bootleg access cards for the receiver on the satellite. Which meant I got to see all the rasslin' PPV's and stuff from that era. You couldn't tell me nuthin' the next day at school.

as far as i recall that was the only time they did that on RCC... we didn t have satellites but we had a descrambler card that we would use for the national PPV s. i think the only college football games were on local PPV, hence RCC... like i said, i believe that was the only time they did it, it being Jackie's 1st year and both teams being pretty good etc...

Reactions: dorndawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Forde is an intelligent guy and a good reporter, but he is also a total ***.

I think we will be shocked to hear the portion of that $20 million annually that the athletes are already receiving with Scholarships, Full Cost of Attendance stipends, health/medical coverage, tutors, etc.

This settlement will be the end of major athletics for schools outside the Power 4 and it will be a real challenge for the Big 12 & possibly ACC schools.

All the schools in the Big Ten & SEC will be fine unless the conferences decide to get rid of some schools.
Forde went south years ago. Got his *** in a bind a couple years ago.

Last edited:

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
The $20M cap actually makes us a lot MORE competitive with the big schools. Let’s say Texas is spending $10 on NIL & we’re spending $2M. Both schools add $20M from their SEC distributions. That narrows the percentage gap to $30M and $22M. Huge win for Mississippi State.
Except Texas actually has the full 20 million to spend

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
It’s not like this will change anything in the grand scheme of things. We are already a “bottom feeder” SEC school in football and will continue to be. Even if we raise a ton of money every other school in SEC can just raise more outside maybe Vandy.

If we are smart we put our money into Basketball and Baseball. We should try and become the KNOWN college baseball program like LSU is doing.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Question about title IX. That is tied to taking money from the Federal government. With all this money coming in, is that something schools will stop doing? They could basically drop all women's sports if they did that.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think fools like him trying to be smart should wait and see how the rules play out. It might actually level the playing field. Things are bad for us the way it is now. This could help us out. Who knows.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Question about title IX. That is tied to taking money from the Federal government. With all this money coming in, is that something schools will stop doing? They could basically drop all women's sports if they did that.
There is a reason why so few colleges and universities actually practice what you are suggesting.
Can't imagine how MSU would survive without gvt research funding.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
If we are smart we put our money into Basketball and Baseball. We should try and become the KNOWN college baseball program like LSU is doing.
Hell naw!! That money comes from football. Baseball will never bring in that money and neither will basketball. That's a losing proposition.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
The money is coming whether we are good or not.
Not if there's more realignment and we put nothing into the football program that's actually making that tv money. The tv deal is football and that's where the money comes from primarily. Kill your program and you risk the chance of losing that money. It's pretty much already on the table in a number of discussions anyway. This is 100% about a football league. We can go be USM if we turn our back on football (we won't).

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

Colonel Kang

Sep 29, 2022
Why are we always the poster child for these types of things when we're not close to the lowest budget school in the P4? We're like 40th with a bigger brand than that

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Not if there's more realignment and we put nothing into the football program that's actually making that tv money. The tv deal is football and that's where the money comes from primarily. Kill your program and you risk the chance of losing that money. It's pretty much already on the table in a number of discussions anyway. This is 100% about a football league. We can go be USM if we turn our back on football (we won't).
We aren’t getting in a break-away football league, no matter what we do. Truth hurts.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We aren’t getting in a break-away football league, no matter what we do. Truth hurts.
We're in one now with the new SEC/B10 agreements. Our AD isn't Cohening around anymore. He's doing things to better position our programs for the future, especially football. Our NIL isn't even the bottom of the barrel in P5.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
We're in one now with the new SEC/B10 agreements. Our AD isn't Cohening around anymore. He's doing things to better position our programs for the future, especially football. Our NIL isn't even the bottom of the barrel in P5.
Agree and I would also say, although it might seem like it some time, if being competitive was just about the money aTm would have won 10 championships in the last 50 years. If we have adequate funds, solid administrators who know how to hire coaches we can compete and do pretty well at times.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No shlt. That’s why I said we are fine right now. I don’t think you are following.

The problem is when the break away happens from the current P5. How good we can realistically be has no bearing on that - we aren’t making it. Unless you think we can be a football blue blood over the next 25 years (yes, it will be this long before a break away happens.

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
Hell naw!! That money comes from football. Baseball will never bring in that money and neither will basketball. That's a losing proposition.
Of course it does and it will continue to. Doesn’t mean we can’t put some extra money towards the other two.

would rather suck at football, be exceptional at baseball and be good in basketball than suck at football, be above average in baseball and be below average in basketball. Give me something.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
No shlt. That’s why I said we are fine right now. I don’t think you are following.

The problem is when the break away happens from the current P5. How good we can realistically be has no bearing on that - we aren’t making it. Unless you think we can be a football blue blood over the next 25 years (yes, it will be this long before a break away happens.
You are the epitome of po ol stste. News flash this isn’t 1996. We actually have money I know shocker right.. we actually can compete in the NIL climate.. just look at what we did in basketball… we have made the investment in football and basketball and see the benefits. 13 bowls ranked numerous times including number 1. I know you hate the Lebby hire and that again makes zero sense. I’m not sure why but you for some reason think or are in the mindset that we can’t compete, that we will be left out, that we are poor. These assumptions are just not based in facts. Making the assumption that we are Washington state or Oregon State is very ignorant to what is really going on. I suggest you and others who share this “we can’t” attitude invest or at least try and understand we won’t be left out cause our administration and fans have made the commitments to be a successful athletic department.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Of course it does and it will continue to. Doesn’t mean we can’t put some extra money towards the other two.

would rather suck at football, be exceptional at baseball and be good in basketball than suck at football, be above average in baseball and be below average in basketball. Give me something.
That first scenario is where things are and where they are going. Football does not have the NIL to compete with the top half of the sec.

Last edited:

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

You blow money on a sport that will never make you big money? Nope! Football totes every sport and if withers up and dies, you got nothing then. Only a blind *** baseball fanatic would think otherwise. Our baseball NIL is already probably top 5 or so anyway.

patdog

May 28, 2007
There absolutely will be one way or another.
The "breakaway league" is the SEC and Big 10 gobbling up every desirable school from the other conferences. It's pretty much already here and will be complete when the clock runs down on the ACC grant of rights agreement.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
That first scenario is where things are and where they are going. Football does not have the NIL to compete with the top half of the sec.
You keep repeating this but it’s false. We have the funds to compete in football. You just have a po ole state mentality..

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
You blow money on a sport that will never make you big money? Nope! Football totes every sport and if withers up and dies, you got nothing then. Only a blind *** baseball fanatic would think otherwise. Our baseball NIL is already probably top 5 or so anyway.
Exactly! Those wanting us to invest in baseball is just dumb.
we will be part of the new world of college football. Those that are disagreeing are baseball only ignorant people and that think baseball is the only sport we can compete in. They for some reason ignore our 13 bowl games, our ranking in top 25 in 2022, fail to watch us in basketball and forgot we went to ncaa tournament two years in a row. They consistently talk down on our financial situation by repeating we are poor without any knowledge of the situation. Pat Goat and 85 are part of the problem with perception as our on fans would rather run us down than contribute one cent to helping out.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
UNLESS...rosters are limited to 85 players or fewer - which is very much on the table. No more walk-on kickers and snappers, no more Gray-shirts, no more NIL walk-ons like Cormani McClain at Florida. Roster management will squeeze more players to mid-tier schools like State, regardless of what the big boys want to do.