Penn State - Michigan Dual Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I'm setting this up in advance, so that everyone has the info.

Please use the thread for all pre-match, in-match, and post-match discussion for the PSU - Michigan dual.

When:
Jan. 19, 6 pm EST

Where:
Crisler Center, Ann Arbor, MI

TV:
BTN

Video Streaming:
I believe if you're a BTN subscriber that you can stream the coverage using the FoxSports App. (Something I've never done, so apologies if that's incorrect.)

Audio Streaming:
The radio PBP, with Jeff Byers at the mic, will be streamed for free. The pre-match portion of the broadcast will begin at 5:45 pm EST, with the actual dual taking place at 6 pm EST. You can access the audio stream at:

PBP:
I should be go do do PBP. Anyone else is welcome to contribute as well. As always, I remind folks that provide PBP to include scores for each dual, as well as the match score.

Reactions: 1Maddog and ElDuce

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Penn State-Michigan will start at 157 pounds tonight. Track Wrestling lists
Fidel Mayora vs. David Evans at 149, which would mean no Austin Gomez and no Tyler Kasak.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Penn State-Michigan will start at 157 pounds tonight. Track Wrestling lists
Fidel Mayora vs. David Evans at 149, which would mean no Austin Gomez and no Tyler Kasak.

I believe PSU traveled with 15. You wonder if Evans was slated to go against Michigan regardless of who they had in the spot. It could be that PSU is keeping Kasak's redshirt option available a bit longer, it could be that they didn't want to put Kasak in against Gomez so early in his career (not a bad idea), it could be that Evans was slated to wrestle both matches this weekend regardless, or could be that Evans was slated for Mich and Kasak was slated for MSU. We'll probably never know the staff's thinking behind their plan.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I believe PSU traveled with 15. You wonder if Evans was slated to go against Michigan regardless of who they had in the spot. It could be that PSU is keeping Kasak's redshirt option available a bit longer, it could be that they didn't want to put Kasak in against Gomez so early in his career (not a bad idea), it could be that Evans was slated to wrestle both matches this weekend regardless, or could be that Evans was slated for Mich and Kasak was slated for MSU. We'll probably never know the staff's thinking behind their plan.
No, but I'm sure we'll get some intel from Byers here in about 10-15 minutes.

Reactions: Tgar

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Track now listing Barraclough and not Starocci at 174 for Penn State.

Reactions: Tgar

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
David Evans is officially in for Kasak, who did travel. Barraclough in for Starrocci, who also traveled. Lucas Cochran, Donovan Ball, and Gary Streen all traveled as the Lions could take 15 to this Big Ten road match. And, Michigan's Austin Gomez is indeed in Mexico, where the wrestle-offs are ongoing for the Olympic team there.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Byers says Starocci and Kasak are both "a little under the weather," FYI.

Reactions: 1Maddog

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Lewan is stalling big time. Our fans should be yelling green stalling.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
157: Levi Haines vs. Will Lewan (WL)

It feels as though Lewan has been around forever

Per 1
Nothing thru 1st minute (no shots or anything; lost of head control). Stall call on both guys. Haines in on a head inside single but WL sprawls back. End

Per 2
Haines takes bottom. He's up, returned, back up, and out in 7 sec, 1-0. Haines with a head outside single, nothing. 1 min left. Lewan has yet to take a shot in the match. haines reaches, nothing. End

Per 3
WL takes bottom. LW sits out, Haines stays with him. Back under, then sits out again. WL to his feet, and gets away, 1-1. 1:40 left. haines reaches, nothing. WL sort of reaches, nothing. Haines with undercooks to a leg, nothing. Haines reaches, nothing. They are on the edge. Haines reaches and a stall gallon WL, 2-1. WL goes for a throw, slips, but Haines can't get the TD before the buzzer. End. 2-1 DEC for Haines

3-0, PSU

Last edited:

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Can Lewan graduate already. I’m tired of that Iowa brands stall type of wrestling the whole match until it is time to shoot with 30 seconds left. Lewan has taken it to another level. Haines has to know he is going to do this next time and figure out how to get points ahead of time. Good job by ref not putting up with Lewan stalling nonsense.

Reactions: SurgeOne

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
165: Michell Mesenbrink vs. Cameron Amine (CA or Amine)

Big match for Mesenbrink

Per 1
Mesenbrink on the attack right off the whistle. Stoppage for interlocking with 2:42 left. CA with undercooks, and a stoppage with 2:25 left. MM reaches for a single, nothing. CA doing nothing. 1:15 left. Stall warning on CA. Stoppage for PD with 1:00 left. CA sort of reaches, nothing. CA keeps working the edge. OOB with 21 sec and stall call on CA, 1-0. End

Per 2
CA takes bottom. MM working a half nelson, but CA get to his feet and is out, 1-1. CA working the edge again. MM shoots, and they are OOB with 1:14 left (could have called stalling there). MM reaches, nothing. Stalemate with 53 sec left. MM shoots, and a stall warning on CA, 2-0. OOB with 34 sec. MM with a double and gets the TD, 5-0. He's working a cross face and showed his forearm. End. RT @ 47 sec for Mesenbrink

Per 3
Mesenbrink takes bottom. MM to his feet, and is out in 5 sec, 6-1. Mesenbrink pursues and CA goes OOB with 1:33 left, and he gets hit with stalling, 8-1. Stalemate with 1:21 left. MM shoots a double, CA sprawls. Mesenbrink spins around behind for the TD, 11-1 with 1 min left. MM trying to work a tilt. RT is over 1 min for MM. MM nearly lets him go, but doesn't. MM trying to get a cradle. Nothing. End. With RT, it's a 12-1 MAJ for Mesenbrink.

Wow!

7-0, PSU

Last edited: