Penn State - Michigan Dual Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So, it wan't just me that noticed something going on with his mouth. I thought I was mistaken and it was just a mouthguard. So, @Tom McAndrew is chewing gum allowed in a match?

College Rules:

Rule 7: Referees and Other Personnel
Section 3. Referee Duties and Procedures
Art. 1. Premeet Instruction. Before the competitors and coaches come to the mat, the referee shall:
b. Inspect wrestlers for the presence of oils or greasy substances, long fingernails, objectionable braces/pads/taping, or the wearing of improper warmups and/or clothing, finger rings, jewelry, or chewing gum, none of which shall be allowed. Inspections of all wrestlers shall be completed before dual meets and during the first round of all tournaments, unless executed by the tournament committee at the medical examinations;

The bold in the above b. was added by me for emphasis

• Love
Reactions: SRATH and lionlover

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Rewatching MM, when he thought he was bitten, he showed to to the ref.....who leaned in to at least take a peek. MM had this look on his face like ok, they aren't calling the bite, take this and immediately went cross face again. He had one or two good head mashes in there too. Normally, I am not a fan of this.........its not wrestling, but in this instance, a little retribution is probably fitting.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So, it wan't just me that noticed something going on with his mouth. I thought I was mistaken and it was just a mouthguard. So, @Tom McAndrew is chewing gum allowed in a match?

College Rules:

Rule 7: Referees and Other Personnel
Section 3. Referee Duties and Procedures
Art. 1. Premeet Instruction. Before the competitors and coaches come to the mat, the referee shall:
b. Inspect wrestlers for the presence of oils or greasy substances, long fingernails, objectionable braces/pads/taping, or the wearing of improper warmups and/or clothing, finger rings, jewelry, or chewing gum, none of which shall be allowed. Inspections of all wrestlers shall be completed before dual meets and during the first round of all tournaments, unless executed by the tournament committee at the medical examinations;

The bold in the above b. was added by me for emphasis

So I asked a college ref about this since my prior reply. He indicated that he doesn't go looking for problems. If a wrestler has gum in their mouth during weigh ins, while sitting along the mat before or after their match, or even during the match, he kind of benignly doesn't notice it. On the flip side, the same ref indicated that if the gum were to fall out of a wrestlers mouth during a match, then he can't ignore it, and that wrestler would be penalized. (And before you ask, I didn't ask what the penalty would be; my mistake.)

• Love
Reactions: lionlover and SRATH

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
So I asked a college ref about this since my prior reply. He indicated that he doesn't go looking for problems. If a wrestler has gum in their mouth during weigh ins, while sitting along the mat before or after their match, or even during the match, he kind of benignly doesn't notice it. On the flip side, the same ref indicated that if the gum were to fall out of a wrestlers mouth during a match, then he can't ignore it, and that wrestler would be penalized. (And before you ask, I didn't ask what the penalty would be; my mistake.)
I appreciate your effort! :) (y)

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

SurgeOne

Oct 30, 2021
I meant to comment about this after the dual. In general, the only time wrestlers show the forearm to the ref is when they feel they were bitten. It's a tough infraction for refs, as there are times when teeth marks in the forearm are just evidence of a good crossface across the mouth, and there are times when they are evidence of a wrestler biting the wrestler that shows you the forearm. The instruction that experienced refs pass along in terms of how to handle these situations is 1) make sure there are two sets of teeth marks (upper and lower) for biting calls, and 2) do your best to watch what happens in the mouth area when the top guy's forearm gets near the bottom guy's mouth.

I wasn't sure what happened in the Mesenbrink - Amine match that caused Mesenbrink to show the ref his forearm, but based on my experience, I was pretty sure that Mesenbrink was trying to show that he felt Amine had bit him.

I've stated many times over the years that still photos are not great for evaluating wrestling, as it's a dynamic sport, and you have to look at the big picture and the sequence to be able to evaluate things. That caveat still holds, for the below picture. I'd have to see if this was an incidental thing in the act of wrestling, or a deliberate action by Amine.

Tom- I thought the same thing on the bite. I got bit in a wrestling match and did the exact same thing. Showed it to the ref while I was holding the guy down. I am sure this is what was happening. Messy was working the cross face and that’s when he pulled his arm out and showed it. Watched a cpl Messy interviews- man, he is really, really well spoken for a young fella. Very impressive. I think he’s going to do well in life. Sometimes you can just tell

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Latest posts