Penn State - Ohio State Dual Thread

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Someone needs to tell Brands it isn’t 1988. This style of wrestling doesn’t fair well on the big stage. You would think they would have figured it out by now. With that said, I hope they stay at Iowa for the remainder of their coaching careers.
On poster on HR called this “Iowa football on a mat”. 🤣

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Someone needs to tell Brands it isn’t 1988. This style of wrestling doesn’t fair well on the big stage. You would think they would have figured it out by now. With that said, I hope they stay at Iowa for the remainder of their coaching careers.
On poster on HR called this “Iowa football on a mat”. 🤣
The new rule of 3 points for takedowns is really killing his style. You would have thought that he would have adapted

Reactions: Michnit and LB99

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Iowa wrestlers do not improve as the season progresses. Been that way for years under Brands. They will be very tough at Iowa though against us. Don’t judge anything about them tonight. Brands has been thinking about beating us for years.

BlueAndWhite86

Dec 5, 2023
Iowa wrestlers do not improve as the season progresses. Been that way for years under Brands. They will be very tough at Iowa though against us. Don’t judge anything about them tonight. Brands has been thinking about beating us for years.
I suspect Cael thinks about Iowa too, although not as much as Brands thinks about beating us.

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Kerk is amazing. So quick and coordinated. He moves his body like a much smaller man-terrific athlete. And Aaron is wrestling at a different level than everyone he has wrestled against this year.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I wonder what kind of ratings the Big Ten Network gets for these wrestling double- and triple-headers on Friday nights.

You'll have to figure out which are the matches that took place on Friday night from the below chart. I believe the 1/19/24 matches were the Friday night triple header on BTN.

BlueAndWhite86

Dec 5, 2023
You'll have to figure out which are the matches that took place on Friday night from the below chart. I believe the 1/19/24 matches were the Friday night triple header on BTN.

That’s not as impressive as I thought it would be. I think there is a lot of latent interest out there, but people have no idea it’s on TV.

• Sad
Reactions: Tryingtodoitright

gpsu88

Sep 1, 2022
Yes, it really is more fun in person to watch us dominate OSU. MM sand AB were the most fun to watch, but how lucky we are to watch with no doubt about the outcome. Created a new PSY fan tonight, the friend I took with me to the match now wants to watch next weeks against Iowa. When tickets lke I bought come available, you just have to buy them and go.

Attachments

• 1049FA3C-11B2-4052-AD4A-2C6E67A95397.jpeg
    1049FA3C-11B2-4052-AD4A-2C6E67A95397.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
He hasn’t adapted to anything in 10 yrs or more.
Just one small reason along with many other’s why Iowa doesn’t do very well at Nationals. Just a fact. I’ll definitely be there but I’m not getting too excited about our team or any other team at Nationals. Just gonna keep an open mind and see how things play out here. Nationals will be hear before we know it.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023

Beau himself said last night he doesn’t like to win this way but he’s getting his hand raised. Hopefully Woods losing gives Beau a shot in the arm here. Love to see more offense especially in the 1st and 2nd periods. This style will come back and bite him at a critical time. He should be ranked #1 when the new rankings come out. For whatever that’s worth.

Reactions: PO60

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Looking forward to seeing rankings of some of our guys who won yesterday-especially Kasak and Mesenbring, and others-in light of some of Iowa wrestlers not doing well last night. I was shocked at the one sided final score of the Iowa-Michigan match, and especially the loss of the number 1 guy for Iowa-by a huge score-at 141.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Looking forward to seeing rankings of some of our guys who won yesterday-especially Kasak and Mesenbring, and others-in light of some of Iowa wrestlers not doing well last night. I was shocked at the one sided final score of the Iowa-Michigan match, and especially the loss of the number 1 guy for Iowa-by a huge score-at 141.
Mesenbrink gets no love in the rankings even though he undefeated. My guess is he stays the same until he beats someone a head of him or until someone a head of him loses to someone below him. There is only one guy a head of him that is undefeated.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Beau himself said last night he doesn’t like to win this way but he’s getting his hand raised. Hopefully Woods losing gives Beau a shot in the arm here. Love to see more offense especially in the 1st and 2nd periods. This style will come back and bite him at a critical time. He should be ranked #1 when the new rankings come out. For whatever that’s worth.
Nobody likes to win by a point or 2. If you follow his college career that is how he wrestled from day one. His bonus percent this year is actually the highest it has ever been.

Reactions: Spice67

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Nobody likes to win by a point or 2. If you follow his college career that is how he wrestled from day one. His bonus percent this year is actually the highest it has ever been.l
Yep. Be great to get those bonus points by as many guys as possible in the Big tens at Maryland and National tournament. Nationals are going to be insane. Should include the Big ten tournament as well. Can’t wait to be there.

BriantheLion

Nov 27, 2023
Nobody likes to win by a point or 2. If you follow his college career that is how he wrestled from day one. His bonus percent this year is actually the highest it has ever been.
Just like in football, it’s better to have built a two score lead than to have to put it all on your defense in crunch time…but of course that’s easier said than done, and working to get there carries its own set of risks.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Yep. Be great to get those bonus points by as many guys as possible in the Big tens at Maryland and National tournament. Nationals are going to be insane. Should include the Big ten tournament as well. Can’t wait to be there.
I would be happy if he wins every match by one point as long as he finishes 1st

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I generally feel the B1G Tournament is as intense or more than the NCAAs most years.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Did anyone else hear Cael post match say something to the effect that everything up until the post season is practicing (paraphrasing here)? This is his philosophy. It has been the whole time. It’s why they peak in March. We are really spoiled to see a team this good “practicing” through the regular season with all this success. It’s been a fun ride with Cael. Best hire the Athletic Dept has ever made.

Dec 23, 2021
Analysis after contemplating the whole match and watching select replays (compare to other bouts):
1. Davis - it is clear refs are holding TD calls longer in scrambles. Seems a natural outcome of increasing the value of TDs from 2 to 3 pts. In previous years (maybe even early this season), I think Kilkeary is awarded TD. To Davis' credit he never stopped trying to scramble. Compare to Mich vs Iowa 125lb match. Scramble where DeAugastino countered, put in leg lace while Ayala is posted on right hand AND then is broken down to his left shoulder. No TD given. Reviewed. Call upheld. Different series of moves but similiar circumstances. I reiterate - in previous years this is almost certainly called a TD and upheld on review.
2. Nagao - looked liked he was not warmed up (body &/or mind) when he stepped on the mat. 1st period could not match intensity of OSU. 2nd & 3rd looked good but too big of a mountain to scale. Give him credit for trying and he almost pulled it out.
3. Bartlett - watch the replay in SV. Barlett "puts" Mendez in "danger" position. Mendez did NOT scramble or roll into that position. Count the seconds from the time he puts him at 90 degrees. It is easily 4 seconds and likely 5. He doesn't come out of 90 degrees to initiate a restart of count. The visual signs from the ref on replay make it look like he restarts (there was a pause in gesturing) but having been in that situation myself many times you brain quickly recalibrates and you recognize it is continuous. Funny aside - in Maryland match I was yelling at the screen (think it was Haines bout but could be wrong) where the Maryland wreslter is very obviously <90 degress for a long time and there is no count at all - totally blown call by ref in my opinion.
4. Messenbrink - Intentional about putting himself in a learning opportunity. Wanted to test himself on wrestling from bottom position. Think at least 1 stalling warning would have been appropriate for OSU while riding. who knows how he would have changed approach with 1 warning. If didn't change then at least a 2nd or possibly 3rd stall was merited.
5. Cstar - looked like he did a full practice and was sparring with someone full speed for extended period of time leading up to his bout. Unless he was sick, I think he deliberately wrestled that bout tired. When Bigs and NCAA tournament arrive, I think he and Brooks are training with intent of bonus in at least first 3 rounds.
6. Brooks & Kerk - BEAST MODE ON last night! Very impressive.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I didn't even think to check if Tom Ryan complained on social media after the dual. Silly me, that's almost a given, when a call doesn't go how he'd like it to go. 🤣 🤣

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
In response to Tom Ryan's tweets:

1. you'll never adequately protect refs. But fans and competitors can learn by example if a coach publicly accepts calls, even when they disagree with them

2. 3rd party review is expensive. Tests are kind of a dumb idea. It's easy to get 100% on black-and-white rules questions. It's the really crazy situations, where things are quite fluid, that even refs will disagree on what should be called.

3. Another exhibit of why still photographs are useless for analyzing calls in wrestling. The call of no TD at the end of the Davis got a lot of discussion. If I recall correctly, the match was on a Friday night. I was reffing a tournament on Sunday, and when the refs were getting ready before the start of the tournament, this situation was our #1 discussion, and we could see a no-call, and we could see a TD call. It was that fluid, and really could have gone either way.

Reactions: Parks22