Penn State - Oregon State dual thread

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Starocci with an absolute clinic over a very good wrestler. If Truax pulls this out, we're gonna shut out a ranked team. When's the last time that happened?

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Love the combination of aggressiveness and patience the Penn State wrestlers have, year in and year out. When facing aggressive opponents, the Lion wrestlers don't seem to panic but continue to stalk and push the action.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
184: Bernie Truax vs. Trey Munoz (TM)

This should be a good one. Munoz's dad was an AA wrestler at Okla. St.

Per 1
Truax reaches, nothing. TM with an ankle, Truax with a whizzer, then TM gets the ankle and elevates, Truax does a split but TM gets the TD, 0-3. Truax to his feet, but they go OOB with 2:06 left. Truax works up to his feet, spins in and gets the esc, 1-3. Stalemate with 1:36 left. 50 sec left. Both guys wrestling from their knees; now back to their feet. Ear-to-ear for quite some time. Truax sort of reaches, nothing. End

Per 2
Truax takes bottom. He works to his feet, turns in, but TM with a body lock and slams him back to the mat. TM works to his base, and to his feet, and he's out with 1:23 left, 2-3. 1 min left. Ear-to-ear again. Truax reaches for an ankle, nothing. 30 sec left. Truax nearly with a low single but TM skips away. End. RT @ 1:14 for TM

Per 3
TM takes bottom. TM is up immediately and out in @ 2 sec, 2-4. RT still over 1 min for TM. Wrestling from the knees again, then to their feet. Truax shoots a single, TM sprawls, nothing. 1 min left. Truax with all the offense of late. OOB with 21 sec. Truax reaches, nothing. Stall warning on TM with 11 sec left. OOB with 1 sec left. Caution on Truax. With the RT, it's a 2-5 DEC for Trey Munoz

26-3, PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
197: Aaron Brooks (AB) vs. Justin Rademacher (JR)

Per 1
No TV for the initial 46 sec, so I have no idea what happened. AB with an ankle pick off of an underhook for the TD, and then a quick esc and OOB, 3-1. AB reaches for a single, nothing. 30 sec left. AB with a head outside single and slips behind for the TD, 6-1. JR in a sitout but AB stays with him. End

Per 2
AB takes bottom. AB works up from his base, and he's out in 11 sec, 7-1. JR in on a single, AB with a whizzer, and nothing. Then AB with a single to a double, 10-1. AB gets hit in the head, it appears, and there is an injury timeout for AB. JR will get the choice due to the injury TO, so JR takes bottom. JR to his feet and he's out, 10-2. AB counters a reach and gets behind for the TD, and cuts him, 13-3. Then AB gets behind for another TD, 16-3. Then he cuts him, 16-4. AB with a head outside single and gets the TF, 19-4, @ 4:53

31-3, PSU

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
285: Kerk vs. Boone McDermott (BM)

252.8 vs. 249.4

Per 1
Missed an early TD (and an esc) due to my needing a pit stop. 3-1, Kerk. Kerk with another TD, 6-1. Kerk tried to lock a cradle but lost it. BM with an esc, 6-2. Kerk with an ankle pick but BM kicked out of it. Kerk with a single to a double for the TD, 9-2. End. RT @ 1:42 for Kerk

Per 2
BM takes bottom. Kerk with an Olympic restart and pushes him away, 9-3. BM sort of shoots and Kerk stuffs the head and spins around for the TD, then cuts him, 12-4. Kerk with another TD and cut, 15-5. Kerk spins around behind again for a TD, 18-5. End. RT @ 2+ for Kerk

Per 3
Kerk takes neutral. Kerk with a single and reaches over for the other leg for the TD. It's a 21-5 TF, @ 5:17, for Kerk

Final: 36-3, PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I believe Byers said it was the largest crowd Oregon State has had for a home wrestling match. Something like 8,500+

• Love
Reactions: lionlover

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Ernie Lucas Award Winner goes to Tyler Kasak

Q. Talk a little about your thought process this season. Have you had to change anything?
A. The mic isn't working, so I can't hear a word Tyler said.

Q. Talk about this trip -- a long trip, and how it went for you, and the adjustment
A. No, I can sleep anywhere. The time change didn't do anything to me. I got a lot closer with the guys this trip. This was a great experience. First away match, and 1st time I spent quality time with these guys.

Q. Talk about training last year, and what you're working on
A. Work on more and more points, my diet

Q. 149 feels good for you?
A. yeah, weight doesn't matter. I just want to wrestle. I can make 141, 149, 157

Q. Talk about Davis and you taking out ranked opponents tonight as freshman
A. He's like a brother to me -- we're roommates. I love that it's just the 2 of us going out there. It's exciting to work hard and let this unfold

Q. You have a 9-day break here. What will you work on heading into Big Tens
A. Stance, moving, finishing out periods

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Bernie gotta get shots off......disappointing showing
Yes he just needs to be more aggressive and he’ll be alright. I’ve noticed that since he arrived. Like to see a little more mean streak as well. Our Coaching staff will help him make the adjustments. He’ll beat that guy at Nationals.