Penn State - Oregon State dual thread

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Wow. Davis looked very tough beating the 13th ranked guy and AA. Awesome for true freshman.
Really took it to him and did a nice job getting out......which can be tough for the younger guys.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
133: Aaron Nagao vs. Gabe Whisenhunt (AN vs. GW)

Per 1
Nagao with a low single, but they scramble. GW has an ankle, and they continue to scramble. Great action, but PD with 1:10 left. Nagao in on another single, reaches for the double, they scramble again, and he eventually gets the TD, 3-0. Nagao throws in the boots, but GW grabs an ankle. GW to his feet, and tries a jumper, and it's close to a defensive pin but the period ends.

Per 2
Nagao takes bottom. He's up quickly, then returned, then he turns in and has GW on his back but no REV awarded, and there it is with 1:36 remaining. Nagao is working him, but there is a stoppage for PD or a stalemate (not sure which). 1:21 left. GW sits out, then Nagao throws in a boot and returns him to his stomach (you don't see that move too often. GW is flattened and extended. End. RT @ 1:51 for Nagao

Per 3
GW takes neutral. GW drives for a mega dn gets a thigh. Nagao scoots around to get a leg lock, but GW still has the ankle. Stalemate with 1:21 left. GW reaches and Nagao spins behind him for the TD, 8-0. He rides him out. With 2:51 in RT, it's a 9-0 MAJ for Aaron Nagao

7-0, PSU

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
125: Braeden Davis vs. Brandon Kaylor (BD or Davis vs. BK)

Per 1
Davis in on a double and gets the TD, 3-0. OOB with 2:30 left. BK up then returned. Davis is working a 2-on-1, and nearly tilts, but BK rolls thru. BK works up from his base, nearly dropped to his back but BK spins and gets the esc, 3-1. 1 min left. BK snaps down, nothing. Davis with a double for the TD, 6-1. He rides him out. End. RT @ 1:40 for Davis

Per 2
BK takes bottom after Davis defers. BK up quickly, back down. BK with a roll but Davis stays with him. BK works up, spins, but Davis stay with him. BK to his feet, and Davis lets him got, 6-2. RT over 2 min. BK working the edge. BK sort of reaches, nothing. End. RT @ 2:24 for Davis

Per 3
Davis takes bottom. Semi roll but BK stays with him. Davis sort of sits out, BK tries to spin around him but Davis is out, 7-2. Davis with another double for a TD, 10-2. OOB with 50 sec left. BK up quickly on the restart and is out, 10-3. 30 sec left. BK with a double and gets the TD with 8 sec, 10-6. End. With 2:08 in RT, it's a 11-6 DEC

3-0, PSU
It’s so refreshing to read a play by play for 125 and not be disappointed at the end.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Geez. Bartlett struggled. We need him to score bonus points in the big ten tournament and NCAAS. That kids ranked #23. Glad he pulled it out. Bartlett is ranked #2.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
141: Beau Bartlett vs. Cleveland Belton (BB vs. CB)

Per 1
Not much thru 1 min. Beau sort of shoots a double with 1:15 left, nothing. First real attempt from either guy. Beau reaches for a single, nothing. Beau sort of shoots and a stall warning with @ 3 sec left on CB. End

Per 2
Beau takes bottom, and is up and out in 6 sec. Beau on a single and gets behind, and appears to get a TD as they go OOB. The officials are reviewing it. Question appears to be whether Beau got the TD before CB touched off the mat. Call is confirmed, 4-0. 1:38 left in the period. Caution on Oregon St. coach. CB is up but then returned. The are on the edge, and then CB gets out for the esc as they go OOB with 1:12 left, 4-1. CB sort of shoots, nothing, with 20 sec left. End

Per 3
Shoelace comes untied for CB. CB takes bottom. Weird sequence. They both moved, then Beau seemed to stop as he thought there was a false start, and then CB moves and is out, 4-2. Beau in on a single and elevates, CB does a split, then he grabs a leg and gets the TD, 4-5. 1 min left. Beau to his feet and is out, 5-5. RT is a non-factor. Beau driving in and sort of shoots but the buzzer sounds.

SV
Beau tries to spin around from an undertook, nothing. 1:15 left. Beau working in (CB is making no offensive effort). Beau is out of bounds, and CB shoots, they are OOB. Beau shoots, nothing. 30 sec left. 19 left. CB shoots, Beau counters and spins behind for the TD with 8 sec, 8-5

10-0, PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
149: Tyler Kasak vs. Nash Singleton (NS)

This will be a test for Kasak

Per 1
Kasak working an overlook, and NS controlling the opposite wrist. Russian ties, then nothing. Kasak working the head, but NS always controlling the opposite wrist. Kasak reaches for an ankle, nothing. 1:20 left. Quite a head battle. Kasak reaches for an ankle, nothing. End

Per 2
NS defers, so Kasak takes bottom. Kasak to his feet, then hits a roll and is out in 8 sec, 1-0. NS sort of reaches, nothing. kayak with an undertook, then a head control and a snap, nothing. Kasak shoots a single, blocked, nothing. He seemed to have a good opportunity there, but NS reacted well. 30 sec left. Stalemate with 23 sec left. End

Per 3
NS takes bottom. Kasak gets a good ride, then NS to his feet and is out in @ 24 sec. Kasak shoots, nothing. OOB with 1:10 left. NS not doing much offensively. Kaska in on a single, NS with a whizzer, Kasak elevates, and trips him down for a TD, 4-1. OOB with 23 sec left. Challenge brick thrown by Oregon State. (I didn't see anything; not sure what the challenge is) Byers says they felt there was an illegal hold, but the refs don't find it on replay. 23 sec left. NS works up, back down, and OOB with 4 sec left. NS sits out and tries to turn in, but the buzzer sounds. 4-1 DEC for Kasak

13-0, PSU

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
157: Levi Haines vs. Isaiah Crosby

Per 1
Haines with a head outside single, and ended up slipping off and coming behind Haines as they went OOB for the TD, 0-3. 2:08 left. Haines out immediately, 1-3. Crosby stops as he was poked. We're back. Haines sort of shoots, and Crosby with a great counter to get behind as they go OOB, 1-6. Haines up and out, 2-6. 1 min left. Crosby reaches, nothing. End

Per 2
Haines takes bottom. He's up and out in a few sec, 3-6. Levis shoots, has a thigh, Crosby gets an ankle, they go OOB with 1:00 left. Haines working an underhook and they go OOB with 29 sec left. Blood stoppage for Crosby. Crosby is really good on the counters, and is giving Levi a lot of trouble. Levi reaches, nothing. End

Per 3
Crosby takes bottom. Crosby is flattened, then he gets turned and is out, 3-7. Levi on a single to a double, elevates, and gets the TD, 6-7. He basically cuts him with 1:02 left. Levi gets a single, pulls it in and gets behind for the TD, 9-8. Crosby is flat. He rides him out. With 1:18 in RT, it's a 10-8 DEC.

16-0, PSU

Wow, I need a brake from this drama.

I should add that at the end of the match, Levi was all business, and Crosby seemed exhausted.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Something seems off a little with Levi. He had to fight hard to inch that one out. Kid was 2 and 2. Gotta give him credit tho. Levi has had a couple matches like that this year. I’m sure he’ll be working on things in the room.

Reactions: Hetzel Union

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I thought there would be some close bouts in the early weights, and that's been the case. The only bonus points in the 1st half were Nagao's major.

Reactions: Tgar

BigBankFrank

May 24, 2022
Something seems off a little with Levi. He had to fight hard to inch that one out. Kid was 2 and 2. Gotta give him credit tho. Levi has had a couple matches like that this year. I’m sure he’ll be working on things in the room.
The last match he wrestled he had the knee heavily taped and didn’t seem to have the quickness and explosiveness he normally has. Can’t watch tonight’s match so not sure if it’s still taped up or how he’s moving.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
The score doesn't reflect how tough these matches have been. Good news, the youngsters are progressing very nicely. Clearly OState is really keyed up, as they should be.

Now comes the good part of our line-up ;)

Reactions: PSU_Lions_84

gimb14

May 3, 2022
I'd love to respond to you about why you're right or wrong on things since I actually know wrestling, but you're a clown.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
165: Mitchell Mesenbrink vs. Matthew Olguin (MO)

Per 1
MO sort of reaches, nothing. Mesenbring with a head single, gets behind and gets the TD, 3-0. He quickly flattens MO. Mesenrink with a variety of tilt efforts, nothing, and they are OOB with 1:49 left. Mesenbrink gives the optional esc, and then is immediately in on a double, and gets the TD after a scramble, 6-1. Mesenbrink working a bar, and he tilts him and gets swipes. Ref is holding 4, and it is awarded, 10-1, MO gets to his belly. 30 sec left. End

Per 2
Mesenbrink takes bottom. Mesenbrink works up and he's out in 8 sec, 11-1. MO sort of reaches but Mesenbrink gets the TD, 14-1. MO gets the esc, 14-2. Then Mesenbrink with a TD to make it 17-2, which is a TF @ 3:44

21-0, PSU

Last edited:

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
I'd love to respond to you about why you're right or wrong on things since I actually know wrestling, but you're a clown.
I could be wrong gimb14. Levi is from my home territory. Love the kid. Super personality.

Reactions: lionlover

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Very impressed with Mitchell M in a loaded 165 class. Kids only a freshman.

Reactions: SRATH

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
174: Carter Starocci vs. Travis Wittlake

I remember when many of us were frustrated that Wittlake picked Okie St. over PSU

Per 1
Nothing thru 1 min. CStar in on a single, they scramble, and CStar gets behind for the TD, 3-0. They go OOB with 1:28 left. TW tries a roll but CStar stays with him. Another roll but CStar stays with him. CStar cuts him with 1 min left, 3-1. Stoppage for ?? with 47 sec left. (I think it was interlocking hands) CStar in on a double and gets the TD, 6-1. End. RT @ 1:09 for CStar

Per 2
CStar takes bottom. He works up to a base, and is out in @ 10 sec, 7-1. RT is 59 sec for CStar. A flurry and CStar comes out with the leg and gets behind for the TD, 10-1. TW grabs the lower leg, and then a stalemate with 48 sec left, as they weren't going anywhere. TW works up to his base, back to his knees. CStar rides him out. End. RT @ 2:32 for CStar

Per 3
TW takes neutral. TW dives for a single, CStar counters and gets the TD, 13-1. CStar quickly cuts him, 13-2. CStar with a head outside single which he works for the TD, 16-2. OOB with 1:07 left. CStar with the optional start and TW with an esc, 16-3. Ear to ear, then apart. CStar with a head inside single, and gets behind for the TD, 19-3, TF, @ 6:32

26-0, PSU

Last edited:

Latest posts