Portal update...

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I do not understand why we can not have both? There are some that say all the fans throwing in all the money they can will beef up our NIL and thereby make the program better. There are some that say we still have to develop kids with the pushback being you do not have them on campus long enough for that to happen anymore. We should hit the portal as hard as we can, and fans that can give should give to help with this. We should also develop kids once they are on campus. I do not care if they are only a bulldog for 24 hours they need to learn something to help better them and our program overall. If that is not happening we need new coaches period.

If one does not think that development is important, even in the face of the NIL, then one does not really understand how football works. I have only been a high school coach for two decades in 6A ball, but even I know that each day development needs to happen with the idea being the old saying you either getting better or worse each day. There is no third direction.

Another thing that drives me crazy is the whole idea that if you do not donate to NIL then you are not really a fan. So let me get this right, we are putting the financial burden on the fans even in face of expenses going up across the board when it relates to things like travel and tickets? We are not putting the emphasis on the colleges that are getting millions from tv. We are not putting the emphasis on the extremely overpaid coaches or others that line their pockets in this new world. I have never, nor will I ever, be giving anymore money outside of the overpriced club level seats that I already buy. Why? Because I want to support my own kid and not someone else's. If you have the extra money to give by all means please do, but also realize that does not make you anymore or less of a fan of the program.

Rant over, thank you to anybody that actually looked at my ravings.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I don't think that's tongue in cheek at all. The more protected a defensive player is, the more they will use their body as a torpedo.
Agree.

Without a helmet and shoulder pads, no defensive player would dive and hit the ballcarrier low. That would eliminate lots of injuries.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This attitude is part of the problem and unfortunately you are not alone in your thinking and it sucks. I got news for you We are financially better than we were in 2009 by a long shot yet we have fans like yourself who won’t step up and donate help us move even further. Why, cause you don’t agree with NIL. It’s very caveman thinking.
Such is the cycle of Miss State life. Same conversations were being had from 2006-2008 or so. Your thinking was correct back then, but I'm not so sure it will be now. NIL/portal combo has changed things.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
This attitude is part of the problem and unfortunately you are not alone in your thinking and it sucks. I got news for you We are financially better than we were in 2009 by a long shot yet we have fans like yourself who won’t step up and donate help us move even further. Why, cause you don’t agree with NIL. It’s very caveman thinking.
Talk down to him. That’s a sure fire way to incentivize him to give money you stupid 17…

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Talk down to him. That’s a sure fire way to incentivize him to give money you stupid 17…
It's all good. Guys like him don't realize the real problem. I would imagine he's probably late 20s, maybe early 30's, and wasn't around in the mid-2000s when these same exact convos were happening about the Bulldog Club. How if all our fans would give $100 a year or whatever, then it would add up, and we could compete in the facilities race and pay coaches more. And of course it helps, but the big boosters will still be the needle movers, not the Average Joe fan. I do think Average Joe's money probably went further back then. Mississippi State could 'semi' compete under the old system when we got our act together, we just learned the game a little too late, which was basically recruit MS, JUCOs, and the leftovers from AL/LA who want to play SEC ball, develop them with a hardnosed coach, play slightly niche offense and tough defense. And fill up the stadium of course, to attract recruits. And our boosters did what they could for some of the highly rated in-state players.

Fast forward to now, NIL plus the portal has created a FUNDAMENTAL shift. Our own people say we're just trying to survive until guard rails are put on this thing - well, all I see is the NCAA continuing to TAKE OFF guard rails. So basically, guard rails aren't coming. So we gonna tread water forever? That's a sure way to get your arse kicked. The necessary resources needed compared to the old system is now off the textbook, and our strategy of 'doing enough' with fundraising combined with having SEC status, simply won't get us close enough anymore.

What is the answer? I don't know, but it's not just "MuH dOnAtE" blindly, without a plan, especially for Average Joe fans. The big boosters can do what they want. If they want to compete with Georgia, Bama and now Ole Miss as far as overall talent, they'll have to donate like them.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's all good. Guys like him don't realize the real problem. I would imagine he's probably late 20s, maybe early 30's, and wasn't around in the mid-2000s when these same exact convos were happening about the Bulldog Club. How if all our fans would give $100 a year or whatever, then it would add up, and we could compete in the facilities race and pay coaches more. And of course it helps, but the big boosters will still be the needle movers, not the Average Joe fan. I do think Average Joe's money probably went further back then. Mississippi State could 'semi' compete under the old system when we got our act together, we just learned the game a little too late, which was basically recruit MS, JUCOs, and the leftovers from AL/LA who want to play SEC ball, develop them with a hardnosed coach, play slightly niche offense and tough defense. And fill up the stadium of course, to attract recruits. And our boosters did what they could for some of the highly rated in-state players.

Fast forward to now, NIL plus the portal has created a FUNDAMENTAL shift. Our own people say we're just trying to survive until guard rails are put on this thing - well, all I see is the NCAA continuing to TAKE OFF guard rails. So basically, guard rails aren't coming. So we gonna tread water forever? That's a sure way to get your arse kicked. The necessary resources needed compared to the old system is now off the textbook, and our strategy of 'doing enough' with fundraising combined with having SEC status, simply won't get us close enough anymore.

What is the answer? I don't know, but it's not just "MuH dOnAtE" blindly, without a plan, especially for Average Joe fans. The big boosters can do what they want. If they want to compete with Georgia, Bama and now Ole Miss as far as overall talent, they'll have to donate like them.
The answer is more money for NIL. If that means less for the Bulldog Club, so be it. Seriously, if everyone simply shifted their BC contributions to the Initiative, we wouldn't be wondering why Mississippi is boat racing us in this NIL/portal world. Of course, we have to have a good plan too. But a great plan without money is useless.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The answer is more money for NIL. If that means less for the Bulldog Club, so be it. Seriously, if everyone simply shifted their BC contributions to the Initiative, we wouldn't be wondering why Mississippi is boat racing us in this NIL/portal world. Of course, we have to have a good plan too. But a great plan without money is useless.
That's fine, but that's not my point. The only reason I mentioned the BC is because that was the donation vehicle back then. Today it's both, but it still doesn't matter, so obviously your sentence about Ole Miss boat racing us is still false. That is happening because of their big donors, not because the Average Joes shifted a $100/year (or even $500) donation.

The answer can't be more money if we don't have it. Not enough to compete anyway.