Possible Helton Replacements

big_pete

Nov 19, 2017
I don't know about Fickell. He just seems like one of those hires that could go real, real bad.

Ndugu10

Aug 24, 2017
Jamey Chadwell

Costal Carolina
#16 Ranking
Players no one recruited
Chadwell inherited the players from the builder and mastermind Joe Moglia. If you want a Coastal Carolina coach get Joe our of retirement.

BTW as the former CEO and current board member of TD Ameritrade he would fit perfectly at USC.

I am serious get Joe for 3 years and let him pick his successor like he did with Chadwell at Coastal

LDIABootney

Aug 24, 2017
Franklin? Hell no
Schiano No

I'm thinking Bohn has Fickell lined up to fire Helton after weak 2. I'd take Cristobal in a heartbeat. Surprised Miami has not pursued Cristobal considering he grew up there and won 2 NCs as an OL there. Only a matter of time before Miami offers him the world.
Miami could get him..... but are they willing to outbid Phil Knight? He's earning $5.5 million a year now. He will most likely get a raise if he takes the Ducks to the CFP. If anybody goes after him, you're probably looking at $7 million a year at minimum.

HectorSpectre

Nov 18, 2017
Chadwell inherited the players from the builder and mastermind Joe Moglia. If you want a Coastal Carolina coach get Joe our of retirement.

BTW as the former CEO and current board member of TD Ameritrade he would fit perfectly at USC.

I am serious get Joe for 3 years and let him pick his successor like he did with Chadwell at Coastal

Everybody inherits players.

CHADWELL’s a winner who has done amazingly well racking up Coach of the Year nominations and COY honors from jump, both at CC and before. As I said, he’s not at the top of my list, but he is on it.

For sure Moglia ain’t coming out of retirement to coach at SC. JMHO

Reactions: zitorocks

jacksonsf

Aug 24, 2017
Call Urban and Petersen first. Then Campbell and Fickell. Then Bob Stoops. All of these guys would be home run hires. My only problem with Stoops is that he is 61, yet I am 55 so I am cool with it. Perhaps Stoops can hire Elliott to run the offense while he runs the defense?

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Fickell is born, raised and coached his entire life in Ohio. He seems like a small town conservative type of guy to me.

I understand why people are connecting him to this job, but I'm not sure if he's the guy for this job in Los Angeles.
For family reasons, I could see Fickell preferring to live in Ohio vs Los Angeles, but Columbus and Cincinnati aren’t small towns and I don’t see a lack of sophistication as being an issue for him. Many of these Ohio guys grow up watching the Rose Bowl and are naturally intrigued by USC and the West Coast. I thought that to be true of Urban.

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
1. Fickell
2. Campbell
3. Petersen

Fickell coached under 2 championship coaches in Tressel and Urban at Ohio State and played there. He knows what a big-time program looks like and what it takes.
Luke Fickell finished #8 in 2020 and nearly beat Georgia in the Peach Bowl. He’s currently #8 and doing it with the #53 ranked roster in terms of recruited team talent. This guy can coach and develop talent. He’s a big reason why Cincinnati got invited into the Big 12. It’s a long season and will be 3 months before USC names a coach.

Reactions: qqqqqqqman

AnArchitect

Sep 3, 2017
He doesn't exist.

It's either Kyle Whittingham or Ty Willingham.

I don't want either.
I think by that he meant the lab-grown clone of their merged DNA. Has the toughness of the Ute coach and the suave and reassuring demeanor while explaining an inexcusable loss of the Huskies / domer head man. Really a can't miss prospect.

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
2C12B316-6E28-4746-86FA-9481155CFD49.jpeg
Bill O’Brien is Pete Thamel’s #2 candidate. Only two years at Penn State and .500 coach in the NFL (as was Pete Carroll). Coached under Belichek and Saban. Carol Folt would like him for being a Brown graduate. Seems arrogant (maybe not a bad thing) and doesn’t seem to have stayed in any one place very long.

Last edited:

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Pete Thamel’s thoughts on coaches such as Chris Petersen and Bob Stoops. Bruce Feldman tweeted that Petersen not interested, which would leave USC with Big Game Bob in this type of scenario.
9928077D-D82A-4B31-A936-68D166F6DD7B.jpeg

xuscx

Aug 24, 2017
Blind resume, the top 2 realistic candidates are Stoops and Bieniemy. Being honest, Fickell has no big wins

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Stoops too old, reputation as a choker. Bienemy never HC. Fickell Peach Bowl performance though you’re right.

FightOn81.usc

Aug 29, 2017
Franklin? Hell no
Schiano No

I'm thinking Bohn has Fickell lined up to fire Helton after weak 2. I'd take Cristobal in a heartbeat. Surprised Miami has not pursued Cristobal considering he grew up there and won 2 NCs as an OL there. Only a matter of time before Miami offers him the world.
Miami pursued but Oregon and Phil knight ensured he didn’t entertain it.

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Thamel’s #3 Matt Campbell easily beat Oregon in the Fiesta Bowl. Like Fickell, Campbell coaches up 2 and 3-star recruits. He played at Division III powerhouse Mount Union (Ohio) … where as a d-lineman his teams won 3 national championships. Iowa State has been down for so long. For them to be able to compete with Oklahoma (and Texas), says so much for Campbell’s coaching ability. For those concerned about minority hires, Campbell is black (or mixed … not obvious).
5A98758A-3C69-47E5-9293-B9BB5994A23A.jpeg

CSC96

Apr 29, 2020
Revised Top 3 (if Petersen is out)
1 Fickell
2 Campbell
3 Herman

MongoSlade

Aug 24, 2017
Am I mistaken or did Herman not fire Orlando? Send basically be taking on the majority of the staff that TX booted.

MongoSlade

Aug 24, 2017
He was forced to make changes. Not that Orlando was worth keeping.
I doubt Herman would keep anyone currently on staff. I doubt any new coach would.
Better keep CDW if they want to keep the recruiting relationships

HRPickenstuff

Aug 24, 2017
Who came up with that list? Half those names would have me jump off a cliff.

Fickell should be the number one choice.
Keen Fickell is my number 1 choice after Urban Meyer. His ceiling is Urban Meyer his floor is Brian Kelly he is a can’t miss prospect.

Unfortunately he’s kinda a hillbilly like me he likes the country and space. Cincinnati has a population of 309,317. Moving to LA county with a population of almost 10 million may not appease him. I’m leaving California soon myself for the same reason so I get it.

Reactions: DaFireMedic

Latest posts