Postgame (Mich.) bltch thread

republion

Oct 29, 2021
It was an absolute mistake to start the season with a 6th year QB when you have a 5-start QB on the roster.
We were 5-0 coming into today, with some nice wins and some ugly ones, just like many other college football teams. What did you see in Allar today that made you think a true freshman was ready to lead this team on day 1 of his first season playing college football?

Reactions: MaconNitt

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
If USC rumor was the reason, what a difference a few months makes. Lincoln Riley got the job.

Really wonder how serious they were about Franklin - I still think he could do well there (pre B1G merger), but Riley was a home run.

Reactions: grinagrin

psuno1

Oct 16, 2021
They got it rolling today. Don't understand why we can't attempt to give a back 20+ carries get into a rhythm.

Shabbat Shalom
Because he would have at the most 40 yards on those 20 carries not winning football.

PrtLng Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Poor in game play play calling, but seems like overall lack of toughness is a major problem. OL can't run block and allows too much pressure. D lets that little s-it RB look like a Heisman candidate. No where near enough pressure on UM QB from anywhere. Singleton has been mostly irrelevant the last couple games. Why do we play such soft coverage D? Teams move the ball all over the field on us. With such a supposedly stellar secondary...

Reactions: Psu00 and psuno1

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
We were 5-0 coming into today, with some nice wins and some ugly ones, just like many other college football teams. What did you see in Allar today that made you think a true freshman was ready to lead this team on day 1 of his first season playing college football?
What was to be gained this year having Clifford as first string QB with a 5-star QB on the roster?

Reactions: Grass

JakkL

Oct 12, 2021
What I saw was that linebacker play was atrocious and DBs took terrible angles on runners. Also, Franklin loves chunk plays and Clifford doesn't seem to have that ability. I think it is now Allar time. I was hoping in the 2nd half we'd ditch the read option and put Clifford under center. Let the line fire off the ball. I think itsnhard for our D to prepare for power running when the only time they see it is against scout team and in games.

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
I hate to get into the weeds but I personally believe that recruiting rankings are flawed. I’m watching the Tennessee vs. Alabama game and it’s as close as you’re going to get to NFL quality. Tennessee’s recruiting classes from 2019-2022 are as follows 13, 11, 22 and 17. I firmly believe Michigan’s recruiting classes are taking on an SEC approach which explains how quickly they closed the gap on OSU. JMHO

Last edited:

Meat Lab

Oct 25, 2021
On Paydirt Hanifan said Franklin’s buyout is $72 million. He mentioned that relative to Matt Rhule being available.
A mere bag of shells.

84lion

Oct 7, 2021
Face it. Franklin is a fraud. A snake oil salesman. All hat and no cattle.

Does not have his teams prepared, even with an extra week to do it. Teams never seem fired up to take on an opponent and they are soft, which reflects poorly on his leadership abilities. Poor in-game coaching and management. No apparent positive half adjustments.

The only thing elite about Franklin is his salary. He is an okay recruiter, but that’s about it. He just doesn’t appear to have a winning mentality. If he had Alabama’s talent he would still manage to lose 2 season games a year and fail to gain a playoff spot. It is what it is. Mediocre coach for a top tier salary.
Nailed it!

Reactions: MacNit

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Not even sure what to say at this point. Need some time to digest this game. I thought PSU actually had a chance to win. Some expected a win. I NEVER expected a performance like this game. At this point albeit it's not all his fault, I am ready to move on from the Clifford era. Put Allar in and build towards next season. Is this season totally over? No... but I am just ready to move on at this point. For the coaching staff, well Franklin needs to take a long hard look at himself and his assistants. Record coming of bye's is atrocious. Both lines got dominated. If this is what they came up with for a scheme and 2 weeks to prepare, I don't have hope for this program in the future for being a Big 10 Champion.

Reactions: ManxomeLion

I miss Bill OBrien

Oct 15, 2022
Most of the people here complaining about Franklin are the same people who got hard when he was hired. Remember how y’all went around chanting that stupid “Dominate the State” slogan right after he stepped off the plane?

Franklin was always a salesman.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
This deserves its own thread, but not looking to give Tom more headaches…

USA Today names Franklin #2 Most Overpaid Coach in CFB (behind Fisher); on his fourth contract in 9 years…wow.

Total compensation: $8,500,000

If potential was the standard on which companies based their employees' worth in terms of dollars, Franklin would top this list every year. In his ninth season at Penn State, he is already on his fourth contract. Franklin has won about two-thirds of his games with the school, but for a total compensation of $8.5 million, the Nittany Lions should be dominating the competition. Penn State has won one Big Ten title during his tenure and that was six seasons ago, but it upped the dough when Franklin’s name was attached to the Southern California opening, despite the team being on its way to a 7-6 campaign in 2021.

seems the Mich State coach should be on that list

Nov 1, 2021
Well I guess the pundits were right:

We were over rated and didn’t belong in the top 10. The next two weeks could get real ugly

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PSU12046

Zone-Blitz

Oct 29, 2021
When can we expect to see this team perform up to its talent level rankings? At this point, that's all I'm asking for. Such metrics are obviously not the be-all-end-all. Talent development matters, how talent is distributed across the roster in vital positions is key, and getting the right guys in your particular system goes a long way, but overall talent still matters and I'm frustrated of how we have looked the past three years in light of this. PSU is neck-and-neck with Michigan in talent rankings, and yet came across very inferior on the scoreboard.
We can’t even get a God D**n occasional first down half the time. Indiana and Maryland played Michigan much more competitive and that’s just ridiculous

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
Most of the people here complaining about Franklin are the same people who got hard when he was hired. Remember how y’all went around chanting that stupid “Dominate the State” slogan right after he stepped off the plane?

Franklin was always a salesman.
I don’t mind those who had hope and were excited over a new hire and are now disappointed or off the wagon after 9 years. That’s normal for being a fan and it’s based on results.

I’d have more issue with those who put their head in the sand and twist themselves into pretzels making excuses.

There literally was a post in another thread where someone listed Franklin’s record against OSU, UM, and MSU, (7-18), and it was met with mocking about “bringing negativity”.

It’s……literally……his…..record.

They tried to dismiss it as unreasonable and just being negative. That’s all you need to know when just stating his record is defined as ‘negativity’.

jimjim47

Sep 21, 2021
There seems to be a common misconception...PSU is neck and neck with Michigan in the skill position and DB recruiting rankings, but NOT along the lines. Just using the On3 consensus rankings since 2019 as a point of reference, PSU are certainly comparable (or even better) overall, but except for the occasional Tengwall or Dennis-Sutton they have been significantly out-recruited by Michigan on the OL and DL (based on that point of reference) from 2019 to 2022.
You think your two freshman running backs match Corum and Edwards? LOL neck and neck in recuiting skill players!

PSU73

Oct 12, 2021
Experience with Cliff, and learning the system with Allar?
I knew some people who experienced 10th grade more than once. Not sure his experience has advanced as it should for the amount of time invested.

JakkL

Oct 12, 2021
Anyone else think our route trees never change? It seemed like UM DBs were always on the inside of our cuts all day? That's all tendency and good coaching from UM.

Oct 12, 2021
I don’t mind those who had hope and were excited over a new hire and are now disappointed or off the wagon after 9 years. That’s normal for being a fan and it’s based on results.

I’d have more issue with those who put their head in the sand and twist themselves into pretzels making excuses.

There literally was a post in another thread where someone listed Franklin’s record against OSU, UM, and MSU, (7-18), and it was met with mocking about “bringing negativity”.

It’s……literally……his…..record.

They tried to dismiss it as unreasonable and just being negative. That’s all you need to know about Franklin’s record when just stating it is defined as ‘negativity’.
PSU hasn't been "competitive" for the most part with tOSU and Michigan since joining the Big Ten. During the Big Ten era, Joe's teams were 7-13 against tOSU (technically 7-12 since tOSU had the 2010 win vacated) and 6-10 vs Michigan. PSU has not been a top program for decades.

Ram20

Oct 25, 2021
Anyone else think our route trees never change? It seemed like UM DBs were always on the inside of our cuts all day? That's all tendency and good coaching from UM.
MY sucks. I saw nothing new or creative after a bye week.

Reactions: grinagrin

Shadow99

Oct 25, 2021
You think your two freshman running backs match Corum and Edwards? LOL neck and neck in recuiting skill players!
First of all, I referenced the unbiased On3 consensus rankings, not my personal opinion. So there is that small matter that undermines your attempt at banter.

Nevertheless, to answer your question more directly, Yes...if Singleton and Allen had the gaping holes that Corum and Edwards had, they absolutely would have similar statistics. The difference in this game was clearly the line play, and the On3 consensus interestingly indicates that OL and DL are the positions that Michigan has out-recruited PSU since 2019 despite PSU having higher overall class ratings in some of those years.

LealandLoyal

Oct 29, 2021
basically.

Some folks don't seem to know, or respect, that I prefer reactions after a game, positive or negative, to be in the game thread. So around the time the game ended, 4 or 5 different negative threads were started. I just combined them into 1 separate thread, instead of adding them to the game thread (which was another option).
Sorry, Tom, but many of us feel that your and other’s policing of the threads has taken the fun out of the site. Let us go rogue once in a while, please. AfraId to post anymore because someone will say I didn’t post in the proper place. Has a real chilling effect, IMHO.

Reactions: johnmpsu

SouthHalls410

Oct 27, 2021
Legit question- does Clifford change plays at the line or does Franklin override MY’s calls. It seems head scratching when you look at the plays called …

Also, Clifford is PSU true, but Allar needs to play. I’d rather go w an experienced #2 in Clifford. Allar makes quicker decisions and doesn’t hold on to the ball.

DSCP

Oct 31, 2021
Losing sucks, but this wasn't just a loss. It was a beatdown. 41-17 really could have been 55-7 or something like that. Offense sucked, D sucked, etc. Lack of beef on D Line and really work LB play really got exposed today. Guys like Elsdon and Sutherland just aren't big time LBers. Terrible job filling gaps and tackling all day.

Game just made next week very, very important. Let's be honest, OSU is gonna crush us, so if lose next week it is a 3 game skid and season is just playing out the string rest of the way. 10-2 is still on the table, but must bounce back vs. Minny.
Yes, I'd rather be 10-2 than 8-4, but if we are crushed by UM and OSU where does that leave us really?
It's not as if we are closing in at playing at their level. At this point our ceiling seems to be competing for
third place in our division.

Reactions: 84lion

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
I keep thinking back when I posted we need to beat Michigan because OSU was going to crush us ... and all the low life, mouth breathers on this board came out of the woodwork to attack me for being reasonable. Well, to those wingnuts... Golf Foxtrot Yankee

Reactions: PSU87

dcf4psu

Oct 25, 2021
Experience with Cliff, and learning the system with Allar?
To what end? Here PSU is again unable to compete, looking unprepared after a bye week. Maybe you're right. It's the coaching that's letting the program down.