Pre-bracket release/post bracket release NCAA seed discussion

NoSoup4U

Oct 14, 2021
They absolutely hammered him with that seed and even though Carter said he doesn’t care where he ends up we all know a 9 seed is just going to piss him off. I feel bad for everyone at the tournament that has to wrestle him. People will talk about this one for a long time when a returning 3x national champ was seeded 9th and won His 4th.
Ironically or maybe not hes got Sparks who he had to default to in Big Tens.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Davis, nice being 1. tough draw. could win it, could lose R2
Nagao, lower than expected. prob lose to crookham, but still think he's got a good shot to AA
Beau rematch with Mendex seems likely
Kasak good draw. Parco is tough, but could def see him in semis/finals
Haines...yup. Love that Lewan will have to go to consolations early.
Mesenbrink near perfect draw. KOT, Carr, and Hamiti on opposite side is awesome, even if expected.
Starocci at 9, yikes. I get it, but yikes. Feel sorry for Lewis. expect Starocci to win it all
Truax seeded about what expected. could see him beating Plott/Salazar or losing to either.
Brooks. wins it
Kerk. wins it

I can def see all 10 being AA. I think it might be toughest for Nagao. Davis is sneaky hard, but that weight is so wide open. Lets go get 170!

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I'll go through each weight class with regards to PSU. 125 will be in this post, then I'll go through the rest in subsequent posts.

125: It's still hard to believe that Davis got the #1 seed. A combo of him winning like crazy this season, having a great B1G tournament, and a weight class that was crazy all season brought this about. Congrats to him.

R1 he'll have the winner of the Tristan Lujan (MSU) - Mike Joyce (Brown) pigtail. Davis should handle that easily. R2 he'll face the winner of the Dean Peterson (Rutg) - Brett Ungar (Corn.) match. He beat Peterson during the season. He should handle this match as well.

Friday's quarters he'll likely to face #8 seed Richie Figs (ASU) or #9 seed Patrick McKee (Minny). That's not going to be a picnic. If Braeden gets past that, he'll probably face #4 seed Matt Ramos in the semis -- another tough match.

Davis has the #1 seed, which in general means the easiest path to the finals. At 125 this year, I'm not sure that a 1 seed has any type of advantage over a 2, 3, or 4 seed.

Davis could be wrestling Saturday night. Or he could crash out of the Championship bracket won Friday morning.

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Carter having to wrestle right off the bat generates more team points for us, right? Looking for the silver lining on that dark seeding cloud.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Nagao lost 5 matches this year, and ended up with the 10 seed.

R1 he'll face #23 seed Marlon Yarbough (UVA). He should win that match. R2 he'd face the winner of the #7 seed Nassir Bailey (Little Rock) - #26 seed Kade Moore (Mizzou) match. Bailey could be a challenge, but I think Nagao can win the match.

Friday morning is when having the 10 seed really sucks. He should face #2 seed Ryan Crookham (Lehigh), and that will be a huge challenge. Nagao will be the underdog in that match. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the quarters against Crookham is where Nagao exists the Championship bracket, and will have to fight through the Consolation bracket

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I'll go through each weight class with regards to PSU. 125 will be in this post, then I'll go through the rest in subsequent posts.

125: It's still hard to believe that Davis got the #1 seed. A combo of him winning like crazy this season, having a great B1G tournament, and a weight class that was crazy all season brought this about. Congrats to him.

R1 he'll have the winner of the Tristan Lujan (MSU) - Mike Joyce (Brown) pigtail. Davis should handle that easily. R2 he'll face the winner of the Dean Peterson (Rutg) - Brett Ungar (Corn.) match. He beat Peterson during the season. He should handle this match as well.

Friday's quarters he'll likely to face #8 seed Richie Figs (ASU) or #9 seed Patrick McKee (Minny). That's not going to be a picnic. If Braeden gets past that, he'll probably face #4 seed Matt Ramos in the semis -- another tough match.

Davis has the #1 seed, which in general means the easiest path to the finals. At 125 this year, I'm not sure that a 1 seed has any type of advantage over a 2, 3, or 4 seed.

Davis could be wrestling Saturday night. Or he could crash out of the Championship bracket won Friday morning.
You read my mind. The 1 seed did not give him any advantage.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Beau losing in the B1G Tourney final to Mendez probably was the difference between the 1 and the 2 seed. He'll face #31 seed Kai Owen (Columbia) in R1, and should win that. In R2, he should face the winner of the #14 Mitch Moore (Rutg.) - #18 Cole Matthews (Pitt) match. Beau should win that.

The quarters on Friday morning should feature Beau vs. #7 Cael Happel (UNI). Beau should win that match. The semis on Friday night are likely to have Beau vs. #3 seed Real Woods (Iowa), though #6 seed Lachlan McNeil (UNC) is also a possibility. Beau should be Woods (not a guarantee), and as long as Beau is shooting through Friday, I expect to see Beau vs. #1 seed Jesse Mendez (tOSU) in the final.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021

Beau losing in the B1G Tourney final to Mendez probably was the difference between the 1 and the 2 seed. He'll face #31 seed Kai Owen (Columbia) in R1, and should win that. In R2, he should face the winner of the #14 Mitch Moore (Rutg.) - #18 Cole Matthews (Pitt) match. Beau should win that.

The quarters on Friday morning should feature Beau vs. #7 Cael Happel (UNI). Beau should win that match. The semis on Friday night are likely to have Beau vs. #3 seed Real Woods (Iowa), though #6 seed Lachlan McNeil (UNC) is also a possibility. Beau should be Woods (not a guarantee), and as long as Beau is shooting through Friday, I expect to see Beau vs. #1 seed Jesse Mendez (tOSU) in the final.
Matthews has been on a tear lately. But Beau should take him.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Tyler Kasak got the #7 seed. Not bad for someone we expected to be redshirting this season.

In R1, he'll face #26 seed Jaden Abas (Stanford). He should win that. In R2, he'll face the winner of the R1 match between #10 seed Chance Lamer (Cal Poly) - #23 seed Drew Roberts (Minny). Tyler should win that match.

Friday morning in the semis, he's likely to face #2 seed Kyle Parco (ASU). Kasak will be the underdog in this match. I think Parco wins that match, but it would not surprise me if Kasak pulled the upset. If he does, he'll likely to face #3 seed Jackson Arrington (NC St.), where he'd once again be the underdog.

My suspicion is that he'll exit the Championship bracket either Friday morning or Friday evening, and have to battle through the Consolation bracket

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Levi Haines got the 1 seed. I'm quite happy to seed Jacori Teemer (ASU) with the 2 seed and Meyer Shapiro (Corn) with the 3 seed, as they are the two in this weight class that worry me the most with regards to Haines.

In R1, Levi will face the winner of the #32 seed Isaac Wilcox - #33 seed Nack Stampoulos (Buff) match. He should win that easily. In R2, he should face the winner of the #16 seed Teague Travis (Okla. St.) - #17 seed Brock Mauller (Mizzou) match. Haines should win that as well.

Friday morning in the quarters he's likely to face one of #8 seed Peyton Robb (Neb), #9 seed Will Lewan (Mich.), or #24 seed Chase Saldate (MSU). Haines should win that. In the semis Friday night, Haines is likely to face #4 seed Ed Scott (NC St.), which should be a battle, but I expect him to win that.

On Saturday night, I expect to see Haines versus either #2 see Jacori Teemer (ASU) or #3 seed Meyer Shapiro (Corn.) for the championship

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

Cole Matthews can be tricky.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021

Levi Haines got the 1 seed. I'm quite happy to seed Jacori Teemer (ASU) with the 2 seed and Meyer Shapiro (Corn) with the 3 seed, as they are the two in this weight class that worry me the most with regards to Haines.

In R1, Levi will face the winner of the #32 seed Isaac Wilcox - #33 seed Nack Stampoulos (Buff) match. He should win that easily. In R2, he should face the winner of the #16 seed Teague Travis (Okla. St.) - #17 seed Brock Mauller (Mizzou) match. Haines should win that as well.

Friday morning in the quarters he's likely to face one of #8 seed Peyton Robb (Neb), #9 seed Will Lewan (Mich.), or #24 seed Chase Saldate (MSU). Haines should win that. In the semis Friday night, Haines is likely to face #4 seed Ed Scott (NC St.), which should be a battle, but I expect him to win that.

On Saturday night, I expect to see Haines versus either #2 see Jacori Teemer (ASU) or #3 seed Meyer Shapiro (Corn.) for the championship
I don't see scott being much of a battle. Faced tougher in big ten. Shapiro will be tough if he gets by Teemer.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Mesenbrink has been a joy to watch this season. His come-from-behind victory over Dean Hamiti (Wisc) in the B1G Tourney final was a thriller, and pushed him to the #2 seed.

In R1, he'll face Maxx Mayfield (NW), and should win easily. In R2, he'll face the winner of the #15 seed Brevin Cassella (Binghamton) - #18 seed Connor Brady (VT) R1 match. Mesenbrink should win that match.

In Friday morning's quarters, he'll likely face #7 seed Izzak Olejnik (Okla. St.) That should be an interesting match. I pick Mesenbrink to win, but it will not be a picnic. In the semis Friday night, he's likely to face #3 seed Julian Ramirez (Corn.), which should be another battle.

I expect Mesenbrink to be wrestling in the final on Saturday evening, but he'll have to be careful with his two likely opponents on Friday. If he makes it to Saturday evening, he'll likely face either #1 seed Keegan O'Toole or #2 seed David Carr. This weight class is tough whether you're the #1, #2, #3, or #4 seed.

Last edited:

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021

Mesenbrink has been a joy to watch this season. His come-from-behind victory over Dean Hamiti (Wisc) in the B1G Tourney final was a thriller, and pushed him to the #2 seed.

In R1, he'll face Maxx Mayfield (NW), and should win easily. In R2, he'll face the winner of the #15 seed Brevin Cassella (Binghamton) - #18 seed Connor Brady (VT) R1 match. Mesenbrink should win that match.

In Friday morning's quarters, he'll likely face #7 seed Izzak Olejnik (Okla. St.) That should be an interesting match. I pick Mesenbrink to win, but it will not be a picnic. In the semis Friday night, he's likely to face #3 seed Julian Ramirez (Corn.), which should be another battle.

I expect Mesenbrink to be wrestling in the final on Saturday evening, but he'll have to be careful with his two likely opponents on Sunday. If he makes it to Saturday evening, he'll likely face either #1 seed Keegan O'Toole or #2 seed David Carr. This weight class is tough whether you're the #1, #2, #3, or #4 seed.
Don't count caliendo out against Ramirez. Mesenbrink with bonus his way into semis.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

I know they follow an equation for seeds, but it's still stunning to see Carter Starocci as the #9 seed.

R1 he'll face #24 seed Andrew Sparks (Minny). That should be no problem. R2 he'll face the winner of the #8 seed Adam Kemp (Cal Poly) - #25 seed Brayden Thompson (Okla. St.) R1 match. CStar should win that as well.

Friday morning's quarters are where the #9 seed is an absolute mess. He should face #1 seed Mekhi Lewis (VT) in the quarters. Before the injury, then the 2 forfeits at the B1G, I thought these two would be battling for the championship @ 174. Oh well. As long as the knee is healthy, I have CStar as the favorite, but this is not an easy match. If CStar wins the quarter, he's likely to face #4 seed Shane Griffith (Mich) in the semis. I think he'll win that.

If CStar makes it to the final Saturday night (again, I expect it, but the knee has to be healthy, and he has to get past a tough Lewis), he should face either #2 seed Cade Devos (S. Dak. St.) or #3 seed Edmond Ruth (Illini). CStar should be the favorite over either of them.

pabison

Dec 11, 2021
#174: Carter Starocci is seeded #9

smh
That’s a slap in the face. Guy had the longest win streak in wrestling. Undefeated until the self-imposed forfeit losses. Has to be the lowest seed given in this scenario for an undefeated wrestler. Boy is he gonna blow the whole bracket apart! Like he doesn’t wrestle angry enough already, I have a feeling he’s gonna bring the pain.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021

I know they follow an equation for seeds, but it's still stunning to see Carter Starocci as the #9 seed.

R1 he'll face #24 seed Andrew Sparks (Minny). That should be no problem. R2 he'll face the winner of the #8 seed Adam Kemp (Cal Poly) - #25 seed Brayden Thompson (Okla. St.) R1 match. CStar should win that as well.

Friday morning's quarters are where the #9 seed is an absolute mess. He should face #1 seed Mekhi Lewis (VT) in the quarters. Before the injury, then the 2 forfeits at the B1G, I thought these two would be battling for the championship @ 174. Oh well. As long as the knee is healthy, I have CStar as the favorite, but this is not an easy match. If CStar wins the quarter, he's likely to face #4 seed Shane Griffith (Mich) in the semis. I think he'll win that.

If CStar makes it to the final Saturday night (again, I expect it, but the knee has to be healthy, and he has to get past a tough Lewis), he should face either #2 seed Cade Devos (S. Dak. St.) or #3 seed Edmond Ruth (Illini). CStar should be the favorite over either of them.
3 national champs in top half. Sleeper is Kennedy to possibly take out injured Griffith

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
That’s a slap in the face. Guy had the longest win streak in wrestling. Undefeated until the self-imposed forfeit losses. Has to be the lowest seed given in this scenario for an undefeated wrestler. Boy is he gonna blow the whole bracket apart! Like he doesn’t wrestle angry enough already, I have a feeling he’s gonna bring the pain.
I don't get why everyone thinks this a slap in the face. It is a formula. He had no RPI, didn't place at the conference tournament and the 2 losses killed his win percentage. Yell at the computer that spits the numbers out.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021

Yes, Lewis is tough, but Carter majored him 11-0 at the All-Star event. Now they poked the bear even more. I think this is a similar result if that knee is 100%.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Yes, Lewis is tough, but Carter majored him 11-0 at the All-Star event. Now they poked the bear even more. I think this is a similar result if that knee is 100%.
I think he will crush everyone. I don't think the knee is as bad as everyone thought.

• Love
Reactions: lionlover and LB99

Psuproud

Nov 1, 2021
Bartlett has been very defensive the last few weeks. It bit him at B1Gs. He has to open up a bit. He’s at his best when he relaxes and attacks.
It has not just been the last few weeks, he has elite defense and is very comfortable in close matches. It would be another close match with Cole because both guys wrestle close matches but Cole has no go to offense and is not taking down Beau.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
It has not just been the last few weeks, he has elite defense and is very comfortable in close matches. It would be another close match with Cole because both guys wrestle close matches but Cole has no go to offense and is not taking down Beau.
Beau seemed to open up his offense a bit earlier in the season. Then he seemed to shut it down. I wish he would just let it fly.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
I don't get why everyone thinks this a slap in the face. It is a formula. He had no RPI, didn't place at the conference tournament and the 2 losses killed his win percentage. Yell at the computer that spits the numbers out.
Because they don't know how the seeding works are aren't reading anything that tries to explain it. Would rather just yell.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
You gotta score on Matthews quick. He’s very good in close matches. Bartlett MUST stay on his offense early throughout the tournament.
Beau is probably the best guy on the team in close matches. I’m not sure that’s where Matthews has any edge.

Reactions: Spice67

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Beau is probably the best guy on the team in close matches. I’m not sure that’s where Matthews has any edge.
Remember Matthews almost upset Beau at Nationals last year. Should be fun.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
184:

Bernie Truax got the #6 seed, which seems about right.

R1, he'll face #27 seed Cameron Pine (Clarion). Truax should win that match. In R2, he'll face the winner of the #11 seed Colton Hawks (Mizzou) - #22 seed Gavin Kane (UNC) R1 match. I don't know the style of those guys too well, but I believe Truax should beat either of them.

On Friday in the quarters, Truax will likely face #3 seed Dustin Plott (Okla. St.) This match could go either way, IMHO. If Truax wins the quarter, he's likely to face #2 seed Isaiah Salazar (Minny). They just wrestled in the B1G Tourney final, and had a close match until Salazar scored 7 points in SV to win 8-1. It could go either way, but Salazar would be the favorite.

I hope Truax puts it all together, and is wrestling Saturday night. My suspicion is that he'll be bounced into the Consolation bracket at some point on Friday, and will have to battle in the Consolation bracket.

Latest posts