Pre-bracket release/post bracket release NCAA seed discussion

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
How is mesenbrink a sleeper? He is undefeated and second seed. Every wrestling fan in America knows who he
Here is why.
165 pounds
Top title contenders: Keegan O’Toole, Mitchell Mesenbrink, David Carr, Dean Hamiti, Julian Ramirez
All-American sleeper: No. 26 Caleb Fish

This is the deepest, most exciting weight class in the country. Missouri's Keegan O'Toole leads the way with his perfect 19-0 record that includes wins over four-time Big 12 champion David Carr and 174-pound Big Ten champion Edmond Ruth. O'Toole will have a solid path to the semifinals, where, if the brackets go chalk, he'll meet the winner of No. 4 David Carr vs. No. 5 Dean Hamiti. Carr won NCAAs in 2021 while Hamiti won Big Tens in 2023. Both Carr and Hamiti could be title threats, but only one will advance past the quarterfinals.

At the No. 2 seed, Big Ten champion Mitchell Mesenbrink has Northwestern's Maxx Mayfield first, and he could also potentially see All-Americans Izzak Olejnik or Cameron Amine in the quarterfinals, depending on who makes it out of the second round. In the semifinals, if the brackets go chalk, Mesenbrink could meet No. 3 Julian Ramirez of Cornell, the only wrestler beyond O'Toole in the field with a win over Carr. There's so much talent in this weight that it's easy to focus on the stars and ignore the sleepers, but Caleb Fish at the No. 26 is interesting. Fish had a rough Big Ten tournament, but he previously held Hamiti to a 5-3 decision earlier this year, and, if he can find his groove in Kansas City, he could pull off some upsets in this deep weight class.

Reactions: lionlover

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
IMO Kasak will beat Arrington if they both get that far.

Parco is a bigger hurdle in the quarters. And Arrington gets Gomez in the quarters.

Yeah, I'd agree that Parco is the bigger hurdle.

To me, Gomez is one of the bigger wildcards in any weight class. If he's able to hit his throws, he can beat pretty much anyone. But he always has matches where his opponent doesn't allow that, and he ends up looking unimpressive. I was somewhat surprised he (Gomez) got a #6 seed when he only wrestled 11 matches on the season (going 9-2).

Reactions: Tgar and El_Jefe

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
The 174 bracket, overall, may be the worst seeded bracket in the past 5 years. One half of the bracket has 3 former champs while the other half has 1 All American. I'm not even talking about C-star's 9 seed.
167 has two former ncaa champs plus Hamiti in top bracket. Messenbrink is in lower bracket but it may be the toughest weight class. So it happens. Just based on current rank. Star at 9th is crazy as everyone knows.

JBott

Nov 1, 2021
I don't get why everyone thinks this a slap in the face. It is a formula. He had no RPI, didn't place at the conference tournament and the 2 losses killed his win percentage. Yell at the computer that spits the numbers out.
The matrix doesn't work to do what "seeding " is supposed to do, separate the best wrestlers in each weight class, as best you can.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Here is why.
165 pounds
Top title contenders: Keegan O’Toole, Mitchell Mesenbrink, David Carr, Dean Hamiti, Julian Ramirez
All-American sleeper: No. 26 Caleb Fish

This is the deepest, most exciting weight class in the country. Missouri's Keegan O'Toole leads the way with his perfect 19-0 record that includes wins over four-time Big 12 champion David Carr and 174-pound Big Ten champion Edmond Ruth. O'Toole will have a solid path to the semifinals, where, if the brackets go chalk, he'll meet the winner of No. 4 David Carr vs. No. 5 Dean Hamiti. Carr won NCAAs in 2021 while Hamiti won Big Tens in 2023. Both Carr and Hamiti could be title threats, but only one will advance past the quarterfinals.

At the No. 2 seed, Big Ten champion Mitchell Mesenbrink has Northwestern's Maxx Mayfield first, and he could also potentially see All-Americans Izzak Olejnik or Cameron Amine in the quarterfinals, depending on who makes it out of the second round. In the semifinals, if the brackets go chalk, Mesenbrink could meet No. 3 Julian Ramirez of Cornell, the only wrestler beyond O'Toole in the field with a win over Carr. There's so much talent in this weight that it's easy to focus on the stars and ignore the sleepers, but Caleb Fish at the No. 26 is interesting. Fish had a rough Big Ten tournament, but he previously held Hamiti to a 5-3 decision earlier this year, and, if he can find his groove in Kansas City, he could pull off some upsets in this deep weight class.
A sleeper is someone that comes out of nowhere. Truax or kasak to make the finals would be a "sleeper". Mesenbrink making the finals would surprise no one.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021

Aaron Brooks has the #1 seed, and it's warranted. (Trent Hidlay's fans may feel otherwise, since he's 24-0 on the season.)

R1 he'll face the winner of the pigtail match between #32 John Crawford (F&M) & #33 seed Evan Bates (NW). Brooks should have no trouble with either one. In R2, he'll face the winner of the #16 Luke Stout (Princeton) - #17 Joseph Novak (Wyoming) R1 match. Again, AB should roll in this match.

Friday, he's likely to face #8 seed Stephen Buchanan (Okla), or #9 seed Stephen Little (Little Rock). I'm surprised Buchanan slipped to #8, and Little has been a good story this season (each has 2 losses on the season). AB should win, but these guys are talented. In the semis, AB is likely to face #4 seed former PSUer Michael Beard. (#12 seed Rocky Elam (Mizzou) is an outside possibility.) AB should win this match, but Beard is tough.

I expect to see AB wrestling #2 seed Trent Hidlay (NC St.) on Saturday evening for the championship.
There's an unlikely but non-zero chance Aaron faces PA wrestlers in every round (though it would need 2 upsets):
- R1: 32 Crawford (Strath Haven)
- R2: 16 Luke Stout (Mt Lebanon)
- Qtrs: 24 Urbas (State High)
- Semis: Beard or 21 Mac Stout (Mt Lebo) or 28 Wehmeyer (Sellersville/Malvern Prep)
- Finals: Hidlay or 15 Shaw (Thomas Jefferson)

Urbas beating Little or Buchanan is unlikely, let alone both. The other 4 rounds are realistic.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
A sleeper is someone that comes out of nowhere. Truax or kasak to make the finals would be a "sleeper". Mesenbrink making the finals would surprise no one.
Lol. Ok. If he wins it all in that bracket then yes that would be a sleeper in my book and the experience in that bracket with 2 national champions and Hamiti would be incredible for a freshmen!

jdimes

Oct 25, 2021
There's an unlikely but non-zero chance Aaron faces PA wrestlers in every round (though it would need 2 upsets):
- R1: 32 Crawford (Strath Haven)
- R2: 16 Luke Stout (Mt Lebanon)
- Qtrs: 24 Urbas (State High)
- Semis: Beard or 21 Mac Stout (Mt Lebo) or 28 Wehmeyer (Sellersville/Malvern Prep)
- Finals: Hidlay or 15 Shaw (Thomas Jefferson)

Urbas beating Little or Buchanan is unlikely, let alone both. The other 4 rounds are realistic.
Hidlay will destroy Shaw

Reactions: hohmadw1978

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
Tom, you’re starting to show your age. You of all people should know the stamina benefits of eating your Quaker Oats.
Unfortunately, @Tom McAndrew has developed several debilitating diseases from the glyphosate he has ingested from eating Quaker Oats. Also, it didn't help Thomas's insulin levels because he ate the instant oats instead of the steel cut varieties that are slower absorbed.

Dec 23, 2021
Remember Matthews almost upset Beau at Nationals last year. Should be fun.
Beau upset Matthews in a complete brain-drain by Matthews. Beau was seeded lower than Matthews. Beau was losing with 3 seconds and instead of just running away, Matthews inexplicably tried to defend and gave up points at the buzzer. Huge effort by Beau to never quit, but he was DOA if Matthews wrestled intelligently.

Dec 23, 2021
I get it, I get it, but there should be some consideration given to returning champs, especially undefeated (prior to injury defaults) 3x champs.
You can't make the claim "undefeated". He has two injury defaults on his record. Those are loses. Plain and simply. Part of wrestling is injury. If it happened earlier in the season, like to Nolf, then you just sit out the matches. But that's not the hand he was dealt. Crap happens. CStar doesn't care. He's going to go out and wrestle.

Reactions: hohmadw1978
Dec 23, 2021
That was last year, Cole has not been close to the same wrestler this year
Cole has a plenty of losses on the year. He went through a funk for sure. He also has several great wins on his resume this year, including multiple wins against guys in top 5 seeds. Dismissing him would be a mistake.

Dec 23, 2021

Greg Kerkvliet is the #1 seed.

In R1, he'll face the winger of the piglet match between #32 seed Nick Wilham (Indy) - #33 seed Jordan Greer (Ohio U). Kerk should win that easily. In R2, he'll face the winner of the #16 seed Cory Day (Binghamton) - #17 seed Grady Griess (Navy) R1 match. Kerk should win that match without much difficulty.

On Friday in the quarters, Kerk is likely to face either #8 seed Owen Trephan (NC St.) or #9 seed Nick Feldman (tOSU). Kerk should win pretty easily. In the semis Friday night, Kerk is likely to face #r Cohlton Schultz (ASU). Kerk should win that.

Saturday evening in the final, I expect Kerk to face either #2 seed Yonger Bastida (Iowa St.) or #3 seed Wyatt Hendrickson (Air Force). Kerk would be favored, but Bastida could present a challenge. (Perhaps Hendrickson would as well, though Kerk handled him pretty easily in the NWCA preseason match.)
I don't think Bastida is anywhere close to Kerk. Yes, he is undefeated on the season. I watched the Big12 final between Bastida and WH. Bastida didn't take a single shot. He scored 2 TDs. First one off a poor finish attempt by WH which also led to NF. Second, WH panicked with time winding down in the 3rd. Tried to throw when he was clearly going to score the TD and he ended up giving up TD. More about 2 bad mistakes by WH than anything Bastida did to win it.

Psuproud

Nov 1, 2021
Cole has a plenty of losses on the year. He went through a funk for sure. He also has several great wins on his resume this year, including multiple wins against guys in top 5 seeds. Dismissing him would be a mistake.
If they wrestled 100 times I would take Beau in 90-95 of those matches because Cole can't score

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
IMO Kasak will beat Arrington if they both get that far.

Parco is a bigger hurdle in the quarters. And Arrington gets Gomez in the quarters.
I watched Ty Watters, WV, Pa. freshman, the 5 seed. He looked pretty tough to me. He is in the opposite bracket from Kasak.

Rock-man

Nov 27, 2021
Matthews has been on a tear lately. But Beau should take him.
Agree. Beau was losing to Matthews at last year's NCAAs in OT and took him down with only 6 or 7 seconds left in the bout from a restart. Great takedown but Matthews is not a walk in the park.

Latest posts