Pre-bracket release/post bracket release NCAA seed discussion

pabison

Dec 11, 2021
I don't get why everyone thinks this a slap in the face. It is a formula. He had no RPI, didn't place at the conference tournament and the 2 losses killed his win percentage. Yell at the computer that spits the numbers out.
I get it, I get it, but there should be some consideration given to returning champs, especially undefeated (prior to injury defaults) 3x champs.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Aaron Brooks has the #1 seed, and it's warranted. (Trent Hidlay's fans may feel otherwise, since he's 24-0 on the season.)

R1 he'll face the winner of the pigtail match between #32 John Crawford (F&M) & #33 seed Evan Bates (NW). Brooks should have no trouble with either one. In R2, he'll face the winner of the #16 Luke Stout (Princeton) - #17 Joseph Novak (Wyoming) R1 match. Again, AB should roll in this match.

Friday, he's likely to face #8 seed Stephen Buchanan (Okla), or #9 seed Stephen Little (Little Rock). I'm surprised Buchanan slipped to #8, and Little has been a good story this season (each has 2 losses on the season). AB should win, but these guys are talented. In the semis, AB is likely to face #4 seed former PSUer Michael Beard. (#12 seed Rocky Elam (Mizzou) is an outside possibility.) AB should win this match, but Beard is tough.

I expect to see AB wrestling #2 seed Trent Hidlay (NC St.) on Saturday evening for the championship.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Greg Kerkvliet is the #1 seed.

In R1, he'll face the winger of the piglet match between #32 seed Nick Wilham (Indy) - #33 seed Jordan Greer (Ohio U). Kerk should win that easily. In R2, he'll face the winner of the #16 seed Cory Day (Binghamton) - #17 seed Grady Griess (Navy) R1 match. Kerk should win that match without much difficulty.

On Friday in the quarters, Kerk is likely to face either #8 seed Owen Trephan (NC St.) or #9 seed Nick Feldman (tOSU). Kerk should win pretty easily. In the semis Friday night, Kerk is likely to face #r Cohlton Schultz (ASU). Kerk should win that.

Saturday evening in the final, I expect Kerk to face either #2 seed Yonger Bastida (Iowa St.) or #3 seed Wyatt Hendrickson (Air Force). Kerk would be favored, but Bastida could present a challenge. (Perhaps Hendrickson would as well, though Kerk handled him pretty easily in the NWCA preseason match.)

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So, being a 9 seed, does that give Carter an extra match that he wouldn’t have had as a 1 seed? No first round bye as the 1 would mean more team points this way, right?

No, at NCAAs, there are no byes in R1.

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Can someone build a potential team score out of Tom's assessments? Not tonight, of course - it's 11:30 pm for us East Coast folks. TIA!

lionlover

Oct 6, 2021
I don't get why everyone thinks this a slap in the face. It is a formula. He had no RPI, didn't place at the conference tournament and the 2 losses killed his win percentage. Yell at the computer that spits the numbers out.
sassy d&d GIF by Hyper RPG

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021

Aaron Brooks has the #1 seed, and it's warranted. (Trent Hidlay's fans may feel otherwise, since he's 24-0 on the season.)

R1 he'll face the winner of the pigtail match between #32 John Crawford (F&M) & #33 seed Evan Bates (NW). Brooks should have no trouble with either one. In R2, he'll face the winner of the #16 Luke Stout (Princeton) - #17 Joseph Novak (Wyoming) R1 match. Again, AB should roll in this match.

Friday, he's likely to face #8 seed Stephen Buchanan (Okla), or #9 seed Stephen Little (Little Rock). I'm surprised Buchanan slipped to #8, and Little has been a good story this season (each has 2 losses on the season). AB should win, but these guys are talented. In the semis, AB is likely to face #4 seed former PSUer Michael Beard. (#12 seed Rocky Elam (Mizzou) is an outside possibility.) AB should win this match, but Beard is tough.

I expect to see AB wrestling #2 seed Trent Hidlay (NC St.) on Saturday evening for the championship.
Brooks and Hidlay bonus their way to finals.

Psuproud

Nov 1, 2021
He has beat 3 or 4 top ten wrestlers in the past month. Struggled early in season.
He has a crazy win over Ryan Jack who then beat him in the ACC championship and two wins of McNeil, so yes he has improved over the season. He still can't score and has almost no offense and may only get one takedown against Beau if they wrestled 5 matches.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Beau is probably the best guy on the team in close matches. I’m not sure that’s where Matthews has any edge.
Just ignore him at this point. He provides nothing and doesn't know what he's talking about or how to keep quiet.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Thanks, Tom! Love that view but hope Penn State's actual score is much higher.

And I too am amazed at projection for I0wa - way too high, I hope!
No bonus points are included. I read that just last year 20% of matches were upsets. This is a decent talking point, and you can get an idea of a team like Penn State which is far ahead of everyone else, but teams 3-9 are only 8.5 points apart. I assume that's statistically negligible.

Reactions: WV lion

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Some thoughts.
Based on projected points I am surprised that big teams are ranked so low. Amazing.

174 bracket, based on Twitter post rant, above looks right except of course star ranked 9th. 2 and 3 seed are in bottom bracket and as always in any playoff it is not based on last year.

shocked at Davis rank. Helps him advance into later rounds a little easier. He could do it. He has learned from earlier this year from one knee Ayala and getting caught and from pushing to hard forward in neutral position.
Nagao kasak Mitchel and truax are all sleepers and you never know with these 4 what could happen. I bet two are In finals and 1 wins it.

lewan. Why is that guy always in Haines bracket. Hate the way he wrestles but they will meet again and Levi has to get points early and not let it come down to a coin flip. That will force Lewan “stall by advance” to shoot.

I was surprised the way beau wrestled in finals. I hope he gets back on his horse in later rounds and is more assertive.

kerk winning it all would be awesome. Brooks and star getting 4 and joining other 5 greats would be great for this current dynasty of Penn staters to get on that list!

Reactions: ElDuce

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
That’s a slap in the face. Guy had the longest win streak in wrestling. Undefeated until the self-imposed forfeit losses. Has to be the lowest seed given in this scenario for an undefeated wrestler. Boy is he gonna blow the whole bracket apart! Like he doesn’t wrestle angry enough already, I have a feeling he’s gonna bring the pain.

There is pain and then there something beyond pain and after watching his interview he did this week I am expecting whatever is beyond pain to be what each of his opponents feel. To quote Carter, "I like beating guys up." There is kicking a hornets nest and then there is pissing off Carter Starocci. I'd rather kick a hornets nest.

Reactions: KMAC41 and pabison

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Beau seemed to open up his offense a bit earlier in the season. Then he seemed to shut it down. I wish he would just let it fly.

I think the B1G tournament was a reminder for Beau what happens when he shuts down his offense for an entire match. Leading up to the B1G tournament he was getting to his offense (leg attacks) early. And then he would shut it all down, but at least he was getting to his attacks in the first period and they were explosive. In the B1G tournament he went back to his front headlock offense, which isn't really offense. I really don't understand Beau and why he likes to work out of that front headlock exclusively in matches when he has explosive leg attacks.

Last edited:

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Some thoughts.
Based on projected points I am surprised that big teams are ranked so low. Amazing.

174 bracket, based on Twitter post rant, above looks right except of course star ranked 9th. 2 and 3 seed are in bottom bracket and as always in any playoff it is not based on last year.

shocked at Davis rank. Helps him advance into later rounds a little easier. He could do it. He has learned from earlier this year from one knee Ayala and getting caught and from pushing to hard forward in neutral position.
Nagao kasak Mitchel and truax are all sleepers and you never know with these 4 what could happen. I bet two are In finals and 1 wins it.

lewan. Why is that guy always in Haines bracket. Hate the way he wrestles but they will meet again and Levi has to get points early and not let it come down to a coin flip. That will force Lewan “stall by advance” to shoot.

I was surprised the way beau wrestled in finals. I hope he gets back on his horse in later rounds and is more assertive.

kerk winning it all would be awesome. Brooks and star getting 4 and joining other 5 greats would be great for this current dynasty of Penn staters to get on that list!
The 174 bracket, overall, may be the worst seeded bracket in the past 5 years. One half of the bracket has 3 former champs while the other half has 1 All American. I'm not even talking about C-star's 9 seed.

Reactions: ElDuce

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Some thoughts.

How is mesenbrink a sleeper? He is undefeated and second seed. Every wrestling fan in America knows who he is.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021

Tyler Kasak got the #7 seed. Not bad for someone we expected to be redshirting this season.

In R1, he'll face #26 seed Jaden Abas (Stanford). He should win that. In R2, he'll face the winner of the R1 match between #10 seed Chance Lamer (Cal Poly) - #23 seed Drew Roberts (Minny). Tyler should win that match.

Friday morning in the semis, he's likely to face #2 seed Kyle Parco (ASU). Kasak will be the underdog in this match. I think Parco wins that match, but it would not surprise me if Kasak pulled the upset. If he does, he'll likely to face #3 seed Jackson Arrington (NC St.), where he'd once again be the underdog.

My suspicion is that he'll exit the Championship bracket either Friday morning or Friday evening, and have to battle through the Consolation bracket
IMO Kasak will beat Arrington if they both get that far.

Parco is a bigger hurdle in the quarters. And Arrington gets Gomez in the quarters.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
I don't see scott being much of a battle. Faced tougher in big ten. Shapiro will be tough if he gets by Teemer.
Shapiro gets Chittum in R2. If he wrestles like he did against Brignola, he's in danger of losing.