PSU - Iowa Dual Thread

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Two questions for the refs out there. If a wrestler is constantly on your legs and you are forced to defend, how is it stalling. And is it still considered stalling if your sole purpose is to try to push the other wrestler out of bounds?

Lumps Pajamas

Oct 30, 2021
I was going to ask the same question, and I think the answer is yes. It was almost like with the match sewn up, after the first TD, he want to see if he could out muscle TC, found out that’s probably not the way to go.
I was really surprised by Kerk's game plan. Then he kinda looked lost out there on the bottom after getting tossed. I'm looking forward to round two... Man last night was a treat. Amazing wrestling...

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
I can appreciate young’s win. At that level of two great wrestlers it is all about basics and Grinding it out. I was surprised that desanto was the aggressive one and had a lot in the tank. He is very happy today with how he wrestled. Young will need to take it up a notch next time.

PSUHammering1

Oct 7, 2021
I can appreciate young’s win. At that level of two great wrestlers it is all about basics and Grinding it out. I was surprised that desanto was the aggressive one and had a lot in the tank. He is very happy today with how he wrestled. Young will need to take it up a notch next time.
Young ought to be embarrassed the way he wrestles after that many years in the program. Wonder how daddy in law Brands feels about that?

Bertrand

Nov 2, 2021
And you were expecting victories? Against all 7 year kids ranked in the top ten? Weak post.

QUOTE="LOCOPSU, post: 6171799, member: 414114"]
Really weak at 149-165.
[/QUOTE]

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
Absolutely! He got Ken a restart and a rest!
The restart was absolutely critical. CStar had just completed a great mat return and was in position to accrue a nice little chunk of RT given his anchor and where they were on the mat.

The brick gave him the restart he needed - he was going to give up RT and that would have been the match.

As much as one of them is a raving lunatic and the other sane one always looks like he's one step away from crossing the line, they are not dumb guys when it comes to wrestling.

Reactions: Parks22

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
James Franklin can only dream about what Cael does every year. PSU Wrestling is the best, F Iowa and their obnoxious fans!!! WE ARE!!!!!
Franklin is a very good recruiter. Sanderson is THE best recruiter in his sport. Football & Wrestling are different. But Our wrestling team is stocked/littered with Top 10 P4P recruits. Our # 7 2022 recruiting class has 5-stars Dennis-Sutton, Allar, & Singleton. I don't think any of them are top 10.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
I think dean figured out during the Match how he can win at this weight. Guys are clearly taller and he can’t shoot and get in deep so once he does have them down grind him and be relentless. It was like a lightbulb went off for him in that 3rd period.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
I have no idea what berge was doing out there. I have never seen anything like that ever. He gave up numerous times. That last takedown he didn’t even try. I understand he didn’t want to get the tech etc but I have never seen him or anyone wrestle scared before and I just didn’t get it. The ref calling stalling on him 5 times is unheard of and it led to 4 points for mar. Refs only called stalling on iowa when it didn’t matter and I don’t think they ever lost a point. We lost 6? Points on stalling and 1-2 points on holding legs to long? Something isnt right about that .

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
I have no idea what berge was doing out there. I have never seen anything like that ever. He gave up numerous times. That last takedown he didn’t even try. I understand he didn’t want to get the tech etc but I have never seen him or anyone wrestle scared before and I just didn’t get it. The ref calling stalling on him 5 times is unheard of and it led to 4 points for mar. Refs only called stalling on iowa when it didn’t matter and I don’t think they ever lost a point. We lost 6? Points on stalling and 1-2 points on holding legs to long? Something isnt right about that .
Pretend they were wearing opposite singlets. That is typically what it looks likes for us. Overmatched. Berge was overmatched. Bull was the aggressor the entire match, and damn was he aggressive. Cael said to Byers before the match that he was excited to see where Berge stands against the top talent. Well, we all saw it. The good news is that Berge might get another shot or two at Bull (if you can call that good news), and he and the coaching staff know where the bar is set.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
Pretend they were wearing opposite singlets. That is typically what it looks likes for us. Overmatched. Berge was overmatched. Bull was the aggressor the entire match, and damn was he aggressive. Cael said to Byers before the match that he was excited to see where Berge stands against the top talent. Well, we all saw it. The good news is that Berge might get another shot or two at Bull (if you can call that good news), and he and the coaching staff know where the bar is set.
He was a bull. He wasn’t trying anything but to push against him and the stall because like a bull he was pushing him back. It is just another form of stalling that brands has his guys do. Look like your doing something without doing anything. The guys brooks wrestled did the same damn thing.

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Penn State coach Cael Sanderson after 19-13 victory to snap Hawkeyes' 29-dual win streak: “We’re not real happy with our performance tonight. I’m sure Iowa’s not, either. It was just kind of a weird dual meet.”

blast double

Jan 7, 2022
If you call fish flopping at rby’s feet aggressive

dicemen99

Oct 6, 2021
Marinelli gets lots of sympathy from his Eli Stickley relationship. I watched the Iowa-OSU & PSU-Iowa duals. He carries himself like a complete d1Ƈk.
It comes from the top. I'm sure Marinelli is a nice guy off the mat but the whole program takes it's cues from its leaders, just like any company or other organization. That's their view of what "tough wrestling " is.

Kind of like the mindset I had when I was younger, before I grew up.

Probably more conjecture than I should and I could be way wrong but I really see the way Gilman has embraced this program as a great example of this. Obviously he is a warrior and I think he came here to experience there's more than one way to not only demonstrate your character and strength, but to impose your will on someone.

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
285: Kerk vs. Tony Cassioppi (TC)

#3 vs. #5

238.9 vs. 241.8

Per 1
Kerk with a double and gets the TD, 2-0. TC is up and out, 2-1. Kerk with another double but TC backs out of it. TC with a bear hug, Kerk tries to lat drop him but TC ends up with th TD, 2-3. OOB with 48 sec. Kerk bounces him up but nothing. (Don't see that too often in heavies.) End RT @ 42 sec for TC

Per 2
TC defers and Kerk takes takes neutral. Not much thru 1 min. Kerk reaches, nothing. Stoppage for interlocking fingers. Kerk nearly with a pick, but nothing. Kerk tries another pick, nothing. End RT @ 42 sec for TC

Per 3
TC takes bottom. He cuts him afar about 25 sec, 2-4. RT @ 17 sec. Kerk in on a single, but TC sprawls and he's out. TC with a body lock and he gets a TD, 2-6. Kerk looks tired. 1 min left. Kerk not doing much, but neither is TD. End. With 1:27 in RT, it's a 2-7 DEC

19-13, PSU is the final
Agree. Not a smart match at all by Kerk. He needs to get his angles and shoot and keep shooting not go upper body. Geez.

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
It comes from the top. I'm sure Marinelli is a nice guy off the mat but the whole program takes it's cues from its leaders, just like any company or other organization. That's their view of what "tough wrestling " is.

Kind of like the mindset I had when I was younger, before I grew up.

Probably more conjecture than I should and I could be way wrong but I really see the way Gilman has embraced this program as a great example of this. Obviously he is a warrior and I think he came here to experience there's more than one way to not only demonstrate your character and strength, but to impose your will on someone.
Berge wrestled like he was intimidated last night. Still think he would do a lot better at 157. Last night was a great example why. He beat Young last year.

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
The restart was absolutely critical. CStar had just completed a great mat return and was in position to accrue a nice little chunk of RT given his anchor and where they were on the mat.

The brick gave him the restart he needed - he was going to give up RT and that would have been the match.

As much as one of them is a raving lunatic and the other sane one always looks like he's one step away from crossing the line, they are not dumb guys when it comes to wrestling.
Oh yes brands definitely throw the brick to give Kem a restart. Carter had him prone on his stomach. He would have definitely got the riding time point.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
I have a question; if Dean loses who wins the dual meet? Who would have won on criteria?

Nov 1, 2021
He was a bull. He wasn’t trying anything but to push against him and the stall because like a bull he was pushing him back. It is just another form of stalling that brands has his guys do. Look like your doing something without doing anything. The guys brooks wrestled did the same damn thing.
Berge has that nice duck under move I kept waiting for him to hit when Marinelli was pushing in so hard. Berge just looked physically overmatched.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
He arrived as the top 120 pounder in the nation, and he's a RS freshman. Are you basing this on last night?
In this day in age, freshman studs come in as AA contenders. In hs they get a chance to wrestle the best wrestlers in the US and the world. I would call Ayala a stud.

pabison

Dec 11, 2021
Felt so good to get the win at CHA!

My overall reaction looking back on the match was that I was really pleased with 7 of the matches, disappointed with 2 and a little surprised with 1.

Drew, RBY, Nick, CStarr, Aaron and Max led us to victory as they’ve done throughout the season. I was happy with Bearclaw’s effort, even in the loss, and he continues to improve; I still don’t see him qualifying for nationals, but it’s nice to see him progressing.

Surprised Brooks rode Assad as long as he did. It looked like he owned Assad on his feet, so I really expected Brooks to play catch and release and get the major. Still an impressive win, but I think if Aaron had it to do over, he’d go the catch and release route.

Disappointments: Berge and Kerk
Berge was gassed and constantly on his back foot. The stall calls were warranted. His conditioning is clearly not where it needs to be yet; I expected it to be better considering he’s not making the cut to 157. Hopefully he wrestles himself into shape by BIGs.
Kerk, I’m just not sure what he was thinking going upper body with TC. The first one I’ll give him a pass on, but to get baited into that a second time is a headscratcher. He’s too good of a wrestler and too experienced to fall for that. He looked good on his shots and could have won it on his feet. Also disappointed with his bottom work; he really didn’t seem to fight to get off bottom, the urgency just wasn’t there. Again, really surprised by this even with the dual in hand, because he’s wrestling for seeding at BIGs and NCAAs. (I’m sure adjustments will be made for BIGs)

Lastly, great win!

Iowa is gonna be in real trouble next year. They lose DeSanto, Eierman, Kemmerer, Marinelli and Young. Murin and Warner are seniors as well; not sure if they’ll be back or if they even have any eligibility remaining. Spencer Lee will be coming back after knee surgery; I know he’s Superman, but there’s still an unknown there.