PSU - Penn Dual Thread

psupower

Oct 11, 2021
My guess is Cael is protecting their redshirt until he sees one or both wrestle in the Scuffle. And with SVN's knee, I think it's even less likely we'd see him. Who in the portal with firepower are you desiring?
Didn’t know anyone but we definitely need more fire power and elite type of wrestlers at 157 and 165 if we’re going to hang with Iowa. Hopefully the 2 you mentioned will be an upgrade but I’m not holding my breath. I believe Edsell already beat out Facundo. I’m sure they will wrestle again and like your saying Cael will reevaluate after live matches against other opponents.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Some thoughts from the dual:

125: Shunk gives a nice effort, but has a low ceiling. He was beaten by Miller on his feet, when on bottom, and when on top.
133: Meredith was taking on a tough competitor, and probably wrestling up a weight. (I didn't hear Ironhead's broadcast, so I'm not sure what he weighed in. It was nice for him to wrestle a dual relatively close to his home. RBY is dealing with flu, so he's out for this weekend.
141: N. Lee did well for 1 3/4 periods. He seemed to run out of steam (which is definitely not his MO) at the end of the 2nd period. Getting ridden the entire 3rd period is definitely not the norm for him. We speculated that he was either just getting over illness, or coming down with something (again, just speculation; no inside info).
157: Bearclaw tried, but also seemed to have a low ceiling. He had issues in a couple of positions.
165: Edsell was a love/hate experience. The love component was his getting the TD in SV. The hate (so to speak) component was him giving up an esc in the last 10 sec. of the 1st period, and giving up the TD in the last 10 sec. of the 3rd period, enabling his opponent to tie the match. With PSU having two starters out, it was critical for PSU that he got the decision.
174: CStar is a joy to watch on the mat. I was surprised he only got a MAJ. He was very close to getting swipes two times where his opponent rolled through the exposure. And tried to get tilts a few other times where was on the edge of the mat, and didn't have much room to operate.
184: Edsell winning @ 165 gave PSU some leeway at 184, with Brooks being out for the weekend due to flu. Ball really got after it, and came close to getting a MAJ.
197: Dean was on a totally different level than his opponent. It was the first time I got to watch him in-person in a PSU singlet, and I was impressed.
285: There were some interesting things going on before the match. At the end of the 197 match, Casey made a motion to the Penn bench which wasn't clear, but I thought it was indicating that Kerk wasn't going. At the same time, Cody came running from the locker room. I think he was with Kerk, as I don't believe Kerk was on the bench. I couldn't hear what he said to CS or Cody. There seemed to be some confusion (the opponent was in the center, but the two refs were at the table). CS then walked over and waved his arms to indicate that Kerk wasn't wrestling. The word I got was that he was under the weather (not sure if on the tail end of flu, or suffering from symptoms).

It was great to meet @ItalianLion, and it was a joy to sit next to @RoarLions1 and @NoVaLion at a PSU dual. (And nice to see and chat with Mrs. Roar once again.)

It was somewhat strange to take in a PSU dual where it wasn't close to a sell-out. There were some wrestling clubs and someHS wrestling booster clubs there, but I'm surprised that U. of Penn didn't do more to try to market the dual to them.

Kudos to PSU and the PSWC for bringing a busload of students from Happy Valley down for the dual.

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
Was that what was going on? Was Kerk trying to go out there but Cael was holding him back?
I was at the match .Cael didnt hold him back at all. In fact I didnt see Kerk for a while before his match. definitely Cael protecting his kid who is under the weather.Lehigh is in 2 days.

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
Didn’t know anyone but we definitely need more fire power and elite type of wrestlers at 157 and 165 if we’re going to hang with Iowa. Hopefully the 2 you mentioned will be an upgrade but I’m not holding my breath. I believe Edsell already beat out Facundo. I’m sure they will wrestle again and like your saying Cael will reevaluate after live matches against other opponents.
Never heard Edsell beat out Facundo. Pretty much known that the coaching staff would like redshirt , but that mihght change him depending how he does at the Scuffle. Mark Hall won the Scuffle and they pulled in shirt in January of that year. We need to face facts about 157, just no great internal options. When Berge left, it left a big hole. Joe Lee is a mystery to all of us.

Potterlion

Oct 31, 2021
For what it's worth, wrestlestat has Jordan Wood winning over Kirkvliet. Yes, I know how wrestlestat works and I know it's not always perfect. I know people are assuming it's going to be a tough match, but I'm pretty sure that Kirkvliet ate his lunch the last time they wrestled. If he's over the bug, I don't see him having any issue soundly defeating Wood on Sunday. Jordan Wood seems to be one of those guys that's pretty tough against the number five through 20 rated guys, but not much of a match for the top four or five. I guess we'll see. I'm also not as worried about 157 and 165 as some guys are,. Edsel is quietly having a pretty darn good year and I rather expect Facundo in January. I'm a little disappointed in the tough losses for Barroclaugh, but it's not as if he's wrestling chopped liver out there or that he's getting totally thumped. We also know that the Lee brothers are waiting in the wings and I have more faith in them than some fans do. I'm aware that Joe lost a wrestle off, but that's not to say that he may not be a good option at the weight class. We'll see what he does when he gets on the mat.

Last edited:

McPat

Oct 31, 2021
For what it's worth, wrestlestat has Jordan Wood winning over Kirkvliet. Yes, I know how wrestlestat works and I know it's not always perfect. I know people are assuming it's going to be a tough match, but I'm pretty sure that Kirkvliet ate his lunch the last time they wrestled. If he's over the bug, I don't see him having any issue soundly defeating Wood on Sunday. Jordan Wood seems to be one of those guys that's pretty tough against the number five through 20 rated guys, but not much of a match for the top four or five. I guess we'll see. I'm also not as worried about 157 and 165 is some guys are,. Edsel is quietly having a pretty darn good year and I rather expect Facundo in January. I'm a little disappointed and a tough losses for Barroclaugh, but it's not as if he's wrestling chopped liver out there or that he's getting totally thumped. We also know that the Lee brothers are waiting in the wings and I have more faith in them than some fans do. I'm aware that Joe lost a wrestle off, but that's not to say that he may not be a good option at the weight class. We'll see what he does when he gets on the mat.
Agreed. As long as Edsell keeps winning (8-0 over the last two seasons), there's no need to pull Facundo's shirt. I find it ironic that folks celebrate BB's close wins for his mental strength and overall toughness and then express so much concern with Edsell.

Potterlion

Oct 31, 2021
Well, I can't say that I think that Edsel is the ultimate solution either, but he's already beaten a couple of guys that were ranked around 20th, so it's not unreasonable to think that he could end up being a round of 12 kind of guy. Obviously I think Facundo has a higher top end. I know that Cael likes to try to preserve a guy's redshirt, but with the quality of guys that we've had coming in over the last five or six years, I'm not certain that it really pays to do so rather than always putting your best team on the mat regardless of class standing or redshirt availabilities. Overall, I don't have many of the concerns that some board posters do about any of our weight classes. We'll work it out and have a pretty solid team top to bottom.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Has Dean given up any points so far? Once he clamps down it’s lights out. He is much better than I remember him being at Cornell. Legitimate contender for the crown.
He beat Myles Martin at nationals in Pittsburgh.

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder

NittanyChris

Oct 12, 2021
Agreed. As long as Edsell keeps winning (8-0 over the last two seasons), there's no need to pull Facundo's shirt. I find it ironic that folks celebrate BB's close wins for his mental strength and overall toughness and then express so much concern with Edsell.
Completely different situations, IMO. Beau Bartlett was an elite prospect with incredible upside, possibly that of a multi-time national champion. Edsell is a tough kid who has been continually improving and while he's been very impressive thus far, one could argue he doesn't have the same extremely high ceiling. I think you can give Edsell a ton of respect and admiration for his progress and performance this season while still being more excited about Beau's potential upside. It's not an either/or or mutually exclusive positions, IMO.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Over on the other wrestling board they are really hitting Bartlett for not shooting enough, I'm not as concerned. Look we all know he is a 141 pounder who has beefed up this year. I like the fact that he hung out with Max Dean, also a short stocky wrestler for 197. I figure that Beau will learn how to shoot and finish quick, which is what he needs to do to keep him from getting stuck underneath. Taking down taller lankier guys is probably something new for Beau but I have faith he will come up with go to shots. Not worried at all about Beau.

Mrpinkac

Oct 30, 2021
It seemed like the coaches told TB to take bottom, when riding time wasn’t a factor. I know it’s armchair QBing, but wouldn’t it of been better to take neutral? Work on his bottom game in the room.

Oct 31, 2021
Well, I can't say that I think that Edsel is the ultimate solution either, but he's already beaten a couple of guys that were ranked around 20th, so it's not unreasonable to think that he could end up being a round of 12 kind of guy. Obviously I think Facundo has a higher top end. I know that Cael likes to try to preserve a guy's redshirt, but with the quality of guys that we've had coming in over the last five or six years, I'm not certain that it really pays to do so rather than always putting your best team on the mat regardless of class standing or redshirt availabilities. Overall, I don't have many of the concerns that some board posters do about any of our weight classes. We'll work it out and have a pretty solid team top to bottom.
I agree things will play out and I have faith in the process , Cael and this team. The flu and being understrength line up wise was last night was frustrating . Some of our guys really stepped up to get that win. Edsall, Ball , an obviously sick Nick, CStar and Dean were great and Beau did what he had to under pressure! Penn is good . The kids who wrestled for us gave it their all and we won the match. Plus it s December 3rd . Lehigh will be a challenge Sunday. Rec Hall, bonus points, health of our wrestlers etc will be key. The bigger pix concerning March to me hasn t changed much because of last night. Having said that , imo there will be big decisions that need to be made after the the College duals as well as continued individual development( ie. Beau) and one personnel move. These are coming and Cael will do what s right. Like you I agree Edsall s a great kid and very good wrestler. His win was key last night. But the bigger question is who gives us the most points come March? If it s Creighton, I ll be 100% in w him. I like his heart and what I see so far. But can he AA? or make Blood Rd? That s what we ll need. I m rooting for him to do so but I also know Alex is an elite talent. We just need to optimize our chances. Like at 125 , Shunk has great fight , great kid and is a good wrestler ( I appreciated all he does) but DH is the next level. He ll be key! 157? Biggest? . Whatever Joe s dealing w I hope he s ok! Things will play out. Still early . I say let s concentrate on Sunday and get the win w the team that s available . Long way to go!
Let s Go!!!!!

jack66

Oct 31, 2021
Mrpinkac,

I don't think that's Cael's coaching MO. Obviously, he wants to win every dual, but a higher priority is using regular season duals as a learning experience.

At tourney time, yeah, maybe he has a wrestler avoid bottom as N Lee did in the finals. Regular season though I don't recall it happening very often. He wants his guys wrestling through every position.

Last edited:

Bertrand

Nov 2, 2021
This might turn into a throw away year for the team. With a lack of Division 1 talent at 125 and 157, and lack of scoring at 149 and 165, hard to imagine a scenario where we have a shot at nationals. Just too many holes. Weird to have so many starters that struggle so much on offense with this coaching staff.

PSU Mike

Oct 6, 2021
Completely different situations, IMO. Beau Bartlett was an elite prospect with incredible upside, possibly that of a multi-time national champion. Edsell is a tough kid who has been continually improving and while he's been very impressive thus far, one could argue he doesn't have the same extremely high ceiling. I think you can give Edsell a ton of respect and admiration for his progress and performance this season while still being more excited about Beau's potential upside. It's not an either/or or mutually exclusive positions, IMO.
Edsall said s competing at his lowest weight in his few years, and Beau is more of a 141, and both have been winning in similar fashion. Rankings should stop defining a guy once he starts competing. If you believe those HS rankings represent prospect of future success, once the results are in you evaluate the quality of the rankings, not evaluate the quality of results based on the rankings.

Football fans are notorious for getting it all backward.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
I was at a function last evening and only caught a few posts.....thanks for the updates. First time in years I didn't listen to Byers. It is easy to get discouraged this time of year because we rarely look as sharp as we would like and we know the staff is tweaking line-ups. Toss in sickness and we take the win and move on.

It sure looks like help is on the way at 125. BB will be fine. 157/65, no sense worrying, there are guy there feeling their way around. One would suspect the staff has them under a ton of pressure so I suspect they are tired all the time. CStar, it appears the light has come on regarding putting up points, sounds like he is greatly improved......kinda scary. Dean isn't here to play.

Will it be enough to beat Iowa in March, way way too early to tell. I remember getting the living crap kicked out of us at Rec by Minny early in the year, yet we pulled it off. Here is my view:

125, good chance we score more points. Same at 133. 141 is fine. 149, points vs donuts. 157/65, maybe we get a few vs zip. We will score more points at every weight the rest of the way. Good enough, who knows, but we should be much better than last year.

Reactions: backdrft76

psupower

Oct 11, 2021
He has outscored his opponents in 4 matches, 61-4. Impressive!
Max Dean is a freaking beast. Seems he’s going for bonus points in every match. Cael and staff has improved him big time. I’m convinced he’s going to be the National Champion at 197 this year. Heck he gets to train with DT and Bo. Should be a great recruiting pitch as well.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Mrpinkac,

I don't think that's Cael's coaching MO. Obviously, he wants to win every dual, but a higher priority is using regular season duals as a learning experience.

At tourney time, yeah, maybe he has a wrestler avoid bottom as N Lee did in the finals. Regular season though I don't recall it happening very often. He wants his guys wrestling through every position.
Ask Tom Brands what the #1 priority is; protecting seeds for nationals.

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
Don’t get your hopes too high on the portal. Maybe get your hopes higher for SVN at 57 and/or Facundo at 65. I personally think it’ll be Bearclaw or some combination of Lee brothers. We might have a shot against Young but vs. The Bull we’ve got to hope to only lose 3.
Some thoughts from the dual:

125: Shunk gives a nice effort, but has a low ceiling. He was beaten by Miller on his feet, when on bottom, and when on top.
133: Meredith was taking on a tough competitor, and probably wrestling up a weight. (I didn't hear Ironhead's broadcast, so I'm not sure what he weighed in. It was nice for him to wrestle a dual relatively close to his home. RBY is dealing with flu, so he's out for this weekend.
141: N. Lee did well for 1 3/4 periods. He seemed to run out of steam (which is definitely not his MO) at the end of the 2nd period. Getting ridden the entire 3rd period is definitely not the norm for him. We speculated that he was either just getting over illness, or coming down with something (again, just speculation; no inside info).
157: Bearclaw tried, but also seemed to have a low ceiling. He had issues in a couple of positions.
165: Edsell was a love/hate experience. The love component was his getting the TD in SV. The hate (so to speak) component was him giving up an esc in the last 10 sec. of the 1st period, and giving up the TD in the last 10 sec. of the 3rd period, enabling his opponent to tie the match. With PSU having two starters out, it was critical for PSU that he got the decision.
174: CStar is a joy to watch on the mat. I was surprised he only got a MAJ. He was very close to getting swipes two times where his opponent rolled through the exposure. And tried to get tilts a few other times where was on the edge of the mat, and didn't have much room to operate.
184: Edsell winning @ 165 gave PSU some leeway at 184, with Brooks being out for the weekend due to flu. Ball really got after it, and came close to getting a MAJ.
197: Dean was on a totally different level than his opponent. It was the first time I got to watch him in-person in a PSU singlet, and I was impressed.
285: There were some interesting things going on before the match. At the end of the 197 match, Casey made a motion to the Penn bench which wasn't clear, but I thought it was indicating that Kerk wasn't going. At the same time, Cody came running from the locker room. I think he was with Kerk, as I don't believe Kerk was on the bench. I couldn't hear what he said to CS or Cody. There seemed to be some confusion (the opponent was in the center, but the two refs were at the table). CS then walked over and waved his arms to indicate that Kerk wasn't wrestling. The word I got was that he was under the weather (not sure if on the tail end of flu, or suffering from symptoms).

It was great to meet @ItalianLion, and it was a joy to sit next to @RoarLions1 and @NoVaLion at a PSU dual. (And nice to see and chat with Mrs. Roar once again.)

It was somewhat strange to take in a PSU dual where it wasn't close to a sell-out. There were some wrestling clubs and someHS wrestling booster clubs there, but I'm surprised that U. of Penn didn't do more to try to market the dual to them.

Kudos to PSU and the PSWC for bringing a busload of students from Happy Valley down for the dual.
I believe Penn students could go for free. Not surprised there weren’t all that many. 8,500 for football homecoming with Princeton, and maybe 3-4,000 for basketball. As a generalization, Penn students don’t care about Penn athletics.
I still remember going to a football game at Franklin Field years ago with 50,000. Academic egg heads don’t rally round.

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Max Dean is a freaking beast. Seems he’s going for bonus points in every match. Cael and staff has improved him big time. I’m convinced he’s going to be the National Champion at 197 this year. Heck he gets to train with DT and Bo. Should be a great recruiting pitch as well.
And Beard. And Kerk. And Cael. Max looks incredibly strong, incredibly mean, and incredibly focused.

Reactions: psupower

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
This might turn into a throw away year for the team. With a lack of Division 1 talent at 125 and 157, and lack of scoring at 149 and 165, hard to imagine a scenario where we have a shot at nationals. Just too many holes. Weird to have so many starters that struggle so much on offense with this coaching staff.
You serious?

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Over on the other wrestling board they are really hitting Bartlett for not shooting enough, I'm not as concerned. Look we all know he is a 141 pounder who has beefed up this year. I like the fact that he hung out with Max Dean, also a short stocky wrestler for 197. I figure that Beau will learn how to shoot and finish quick, which is what he needs to do to keep him from getting stuck underneath. Taking down taller lankier guys is probably something new for Beau but I have faith he will come up with go to shots. Not worried at all about Beau.
I am in no way down on BB for not shooting enough. I think it's mildly worrisome that he can't find his neutral offense. IMO, he looks tentative because the 149 lbers are stronger (he probably has a strength advantage at 41) and longer than him, and he knows his best chances are to use his superior quickness to counter, his conditioning, and his strong top and bottom games rather than getting himself in difficult positions off shots. In some ways, you really have to feel for and/or appreciate BB. At almost any other school, he'd be wrestling 141 and could be a serious contender. His only opportunity to wrestle this year and last is/was at 149, and he wants the opportunity. He's an incredibly talented wrestler and if he can just find that "go-to" move in neutral, he's going to have a great year. Otherwise, I think he'll have a good year with a ton of close matches.

psupower

Oct 11, 2021
I am in no way down on BB for not shooting enough. I think it's mildly worrisome that he can't find his neutral offense. IMO, he looks tentative because the 149 lbers are stronger (he probably has a strength advantage at 41) and longer than him, and he knows his best chances are to use his superior quickness to counter, his conditioning, and his strong top and bottom games rather than getting himself in difficult positions off shots. In some ways, you really have to feel for and/or appreciate BB. At almost any other school, he'd be wrestling 141 and could be a serious contender. His only opportunity to wrestle this year and last is/was at 149, and he wants the opportunity. He's an incredibly talented wrestler and if he can just find that "go-to" move in neutral, he's going to have a great year. Otherwise, I think he'll have a good year with a ton of close matches.
Agree. BB is really a 133 or max 141 ponder. He’s wayyy too short to beat the top 5 guys who will use leverage. Hopefully he goes 141 next season.

NittanyChris

Oct 12, 2021
Agree. BB is really a 133 or max 141 ponder. He’s wayyy too short to beat the top 5 guys who will use leverage. Hopefully he goes 141 next season.
Again, 141 is his ideal weight for certain, but that does NOT preclude him from being successful at 149 this season. He’s strong, talented, has a limitless gas tank and has shown an ability to be clutch in tight matches late. Still expecting big things from Beau this season including plenty of points at NCAAs. When Lee graduates next year Beau will be tremendously successful at 141.

psupower

Oct 11, 2021
Again, 141 is his ideal weight for certain, but that does NOT preclude him from being successful at 149 this season. He’s strong, talented, has a limitless gas tank and has shown an ability to be clutch in tight matches late. Still expecting big things from Beau this season including plenty of points at NCAAs.
Lol. You will see once BB faces a top 10 kid in the country.

psupower

Oct 11, 2021
We need elite wrestlers at 157 and 165 to give us a chance against Iowa this year. Hopefully Cael has a plan.

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
Frank Molinaro was NCAA runner up and Champ at 149 and was 5' 5". Just pointing out height and success.
Frank Molinaro was 5'5" NCAA champ and runner-up any 14i9. Beau id 5'7". Zain was 5'8". Yanni 5'5" I'm just pointing out height and success at this weight. Don't count him out due to height.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder

psupower

Oct 11, 2021
Frank Molinaro was NCAA runner up and Champ at 149 and was 5' 5". Just pointing out height and success.

Frank Molinaro was 5'5" NCAA champ and runner-up any 14i9. Beau id 5'7". Zain was 5'8". I'm just pointing out height and success at this weight. Don't count him out due to height.
Love to be be wrong but BB is not Zain or Frank M.

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
Love to be be wrong but BB is not Zain or Frank M.
He is in his first real full year at 149. No one really knows what is in store for Beau. I never said he was Zain or Frank. The discussion I responded to was about his height being too small to compete successfully at this weight. I'm disagreeing with that logic. PS has had a lot of recent success with people of the same size, which is why to gave Zain and Frank as examples. Beau needs know excuses. He is doing fine.

Hulk

Oct 17, 2021
Does anyone else blame the PSU administration for not approving 157 pounder Evan Wick to wrestle at Penn State? Or is that just a rumor?

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
We need elite wrestlers at 157 and 165 to give us a chance against Iowa this year. Hopefully Cael has a plan.
Cael always has a plan, and he never shares it with us. He is 1000x smarter than any of us when it comes to wrestling, and he has moved Penn State ahead of Iowa in terms of national wrestling prominence, winning 8 of the last 9 (?) national championships. Keep in mind that he only has 9.9 scholarships to creatively maneuver, and he's got SVN and Facundo waiting in the wings. Not that he would ever ask for it, but give him the benefit of doubt. And I would say it's 97% certain that Marinelli will beat whoever we put out there - the real challenge is whether we can keep it to 3. Even if Evan Wick was here, Marinelli would be a heavy favorite. Facundo would be a big underdog. I actually think that if SVN was 100% and Cael put him out there, we'd have a shot to beat Young at 57.

Last edited:

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Again, 141 is his ideal weight for certain, but that does NOT preclude him from being successful at 149 this season. He’s strong, talented, has a limitless gas tank and has shown an ability to be clutch in tight matches late. Still expecting big things from Beau this season including plenty of points at NCAAs. When Lee graduates next year Beau will be tremendously successful at 141.
Well said. 100% agree. We're lucky he hasn't left to go wrestle 141 somewhere else, and he'll have 2 or 3 years to kick *** at 141 starting next year.

Latest posts