Reward for failing...the current coaching situation in College Football

Burr Hall Husker

Jul 5, 2022
It's insane. Scott Frost (I'm not mad at him or dissing him in anyway, I actually respect him a lot) is getting $15 million for failing. The ADs and college admins have to be smarter than this. It's standard now for a coach to get a huge buy out clause in their contract. Apparently the only stipulation for not receiving the buyout is firing with cause. I say Scott was fired with cause. He, and other coaches like him, who failed to produce at their jobs were fired because they didn't do what they were hired to do. Win. In what universe does this make sense? He is being rewarded for failing. With the NIL and soon the paying of student athletes, the contracts for coaches needs to be rethunk. I can't believe top flight universities don't have people who can figure this out.

Reactions: FresHusker

Bullsky

Jun 2, 2022
It's insane. Scott Frost (I'm not mad at him or dissing him in anyway, I actually respect him a lot) is getting $15 million for failing. The ADs and college admins have to be smarter than this. It's standard now for a coach to get a huge buy out clause in their contract. Apparently the only stipulation for not receiving the buyout is firing with cause. I say Scott was fired with cause. He, and other coaches like him, who failed to produce at their jobs were fired because they didn't do what they were hired to do. Win. In what universe does this make sense? He is being rewarded for failing. With the NIL and soon the paying of student athletes, the contracts for coaches needs to be rethunk. I can't believe top flight universities don't have people who can figure this out.
he got about $35 million in total salary for winning 16 games.

SoCal80Series

Jun 3, 2022
Coaches get buy-out clauses in their contracts to ensure that they're actually guaranteed. Otherwise at the first sign of trouble a university would fire them without any financial hardship and move on to the next coach. This is a by product of the free enterprise system. Remember Frost was given a seven year contract because he was going to need a "long runway" to right the ship. When he was initially signed Frost was the closest thing to a "sure thing" that was available as a coach. He ended up sinking the ship. In hindsight, a worse coach could not have been hired. I wish him well in the future.