Rhonda Keenum

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Allegedly his daughter was in a relationship with a player while she was an assistant coach. Allegedly. If true, Cohen was right to call him on it. His hire to replace him was a disaster.
If that was true, Texas wouldn’t have let Vic hire his daughter. Starkville wasn’t big enough for both Vic and Cohen.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Cohen let the greatest womens basketball coach in school history leave. We were on the verge of becoming the next UCONN. Even if we were losing money in womens basketball if we begin winning multiple NC’s we would recuperate that back in enrollment. I miss Vic and I’m glad Cohen has gone to The Barn. I’m grateful for the Keenum family and I truly believe he is the best president in school history.
Are you implying if we won national championships in women’s basketball our enrollment would increase?

Reactions: Eleven Bravo

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Are you implying if we won national championships in women’s basketball our enrollment would increase?
That’s not a crazy argument. Increased visibility tends to lead to increased Im enrollment. Certainly not going to drive enrollment like a football or men’s basketball championship would, but ther would likely be an effect, even if it’s be hard or impossible to prove.

AFDawg

Apr 28, 2010
No it doesn’t. Some bs internet rumors point to that, but that’s not what happened. If there were inappropriate relationships going on, Mrs Keenum wouldn’t have made this comment. Nel and Cohen road Vic so hard on complete bs that he left.
Can you give an example? Not saying you're wrong.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Nobody said Polk was right about Raffo. Polk was right about the person Cohen is. And Cohen was dysfunctional outside of baseball. And that damn turf he put on the baseball field is trash too. When a guy's coach and employer throw shade at his ***, it's bad.
Dysfunctional? 🤦🏼‍♂️

Cohen has issues but he also did some good things.

Glad he’s gone. Also glad he was hired at the time.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
No it doesn’t. Some bs internet rumors point to that, but that’s not what happened. If there were inappropriate relationships going on, Mrs Keenum wouldn’t have made this comment. Nel and Cohen road Vic so hard on complete bs that he left.
I have no idea if that had anything to do with him leaving, but the relationship part is true. There was a relationship. No idea if it was ever brought up

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I have tried to tell y’all what went down bout Vic & Cohen and Cohen lying and not being truthful with Keenum. Only a few folks know the real deal and it will piss u if u knew everything. There is a reason Cohen ain’t here anymore… and don’t forget he Voted Ole Miss as the 64th and last team in last year when he could have voted Alabama in… his own ******* hometown. The AD department need’s BLOWING UP All the way to Everyone associated with the Bulldog Club. Entitled lazy and arrogant and expect us to give and literally get nothing back what a **** show.
Then getting the last spot had nothing to do with Cohen. That’s not true.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
That’s not a crazy argument. Increased visibility tends to lead to increased Im enrollment. Certainly not going to drive enrollment like a football or men’s basketball championship would, but ther would likely be an effect, even if it’s be hard or impossible to prove.
You sort of contradicted your point here. But yeah, maybe

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Can you give an example? Not saying you're wrong.
A player on the team was very good friends with one of the Cohen kids. This player didn’t play as much as she wanted. The Cohen’s said Vic refused to play her because of her lifestyle off the court.

Reactions: AFDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
If that was true, Texas wouldn’t have let Vic hire his daughter. Starkville wasn’t big enough for both Vic and Cohen.

Not saying it did 100% happen, but who says Texas would have known anything about what happened? And even if they did, it didn’t happen on their campus so they are free and clear. Bobby Petrino got multiple 2nd chances, too.

Reactions: TTRams

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
No. He wasn’t. He’s got a lot of faults, but Cohen rebuilt our baseball program from the ashes. Raffo would have been a disaster.
Exactly, anyone who doesn't think John Cohen did a great job FINALLY bringing our baseball program into the 21st century and setting us up for long term success doesn't know what they are talking about. Now Cohen as AD, a job he had zero experience for at ANY level, is a totally different matter. I was not upset Auburn took him off our hands and I do hold him responsible for us losing Schaefer.

Reactions: Joe Schmedlap

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
A player on the team was very good friends with one of the Cohen kids. This player didn’t play as much as she wanted. The Cohen’s said Vic refused to play her because of her lifestyle off the court.

What lifestyle? The same one that multiple starting players on all of Vic’s teams (including Vic’s own daughter) also had? This just seems so over the top ridiculous that its impossible to believe. Really hard to believe John or Nelle would be stupid enough to ever say that to anyone while knowing the dynamics of women’s basketball. And if it wasn’t them and was actually one or more of their kids saying it, that’s not really on them. And Vic is an idiot if he would ever try and tie those two things together.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
I was very anti-Cohen but the fan base needs to stop holding Schaefer’s departure against JC. Everything points to Vic being out of line. Cohen had many faults but that situation he handled 100% correctly.
This is correct

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
Well there if there is no formal documentation....there really isn't a reason to deny her hiring .......an innuendo may be true but is still unproven

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
What lifestyle? The same one that multiple starting players on all of Vic’s teams (including Vic’s own daughter) also had? This just seems so over the top ridiculous that its impossible to believe. Really hard to believe John or Nelle would be stupid enough to ever say that to anyone while knowing the dynamics of women’s basketball. And if it wasn’t them and was actually one or more of their kids saying it, that’s not really on them. And Vic is an idiot if he would ever try and tie those two things together.
But you think it’s reasonable to believe an employee would get fired from State for having an inappropriate relationship with a player but another school would instantly hire that person? Believe what you want. Consider what Mrs Keenum just said and ask yourself which scenario that makes sense with. I’m done commenting on this.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I was disappointed but understood when Auburn hired Freeze. I still don't have a clue why they hired Cohen.
"Change agent" and "ax man." They'll probably pay him (Cohen) well. And when he gets dumped by Yellawood, he'll cry all the way to the bank.

ETA: Bottom line: Likely a "win-win" for all involved

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Texas wouldn’t have cared if it wasn’t on the record and they made it clear ahead of time.

they’ve made other hires that could be perceived as worse.

No idea if it was true or not.

GTAdawg

Sep 11, 2010
I have tried to tell y’all what went down bout Vic & Cohen and Cohen lying and not being truthful with Keenum. Only a few folks know the real deal and it will piss u if u knew everything. There is a reason Cohen ain’t here anymore… and don’t forget he Voted Ole Miss as the 64th and last team in last year when he could have voted Alabama in… his own ******* hometown. The AD department need’s BLOWING UP All the way to Everyone associated with the Bulldog Club. Entitled lazy and arrogant and expect us to give and literally get nothing back what a **** show.
Spill it. Or you know nothing.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
A more accurate description would be that he was dysfunctional outside of actual athletics. Fund raising, NIL, schmoozing, etc. He was aloof and/or an *******, depending on who you ask. But only WBB is in worse shape than when he took over (unavoidable), and many other sports are better.

I often wondered why the folks who had such vitriol towards Cohen the AD didn’t direct their anger towards the ones that made him AD in the first place. Cohen didn’t unilaterally hire himself, and it really wasn’t entirely Keenum’s decision, either.
Whatever transpired for him to leave, Vic Schaefer essentially was our WBB program. WBB at MSU stunk before Schaefer got here, was really good while he was here, and now stinks again. So basically our WBB program left when Schaefer left.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
But you think it’s reasonable to believe an employee would get fired from State for having an inappropriate relationship with a player but another school would instantly hire that person? Believe what you want. Consider what Mrs Keenum just said and ask yourself which scenario that makes sense with. I’m done commenting on this.

First off, no employee ever got fired from MSU. Not even Blair. I don’t even fully acknowledge that the incident happened (I don’t know). But if it did, I believe that its very plausible that Texas either didn’t know about it, or they looked past it with the understanding that it was a mistake from an inexperienced person just starting out in the real world who had learned her lesson and it wouldn’t be repeated….and the fact that they were hiring a Top 3 or 4 coach in all of women’s basketball at the time made it pretty damn easy to look past it.

Lets not pretend that Bobby Petrino and Hugh Freeze haven’t both landed multiple jobs since their transgressions, and neither of them was ever anywhere close to the caliber of coach as Schaefer was in his peak.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
One more thing… Rhonda Keenum can out drink and out cuss anyone on this board.
Now I’m wondering which one of y’all is Rhonda… **

Interested George Clooney GIF

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
"Change agent" and "ax man." They'll probably pay him (Cohen) well. And when he gets dumped by Yellawood, he'll cry all the way to the bank.

ETA: Bottom line: Likely a "win-win" for all involved
Yep.

Auburn got what they needed for an AD.

State finally got an outside AD.

And John got out at a point when he could.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
A more accurate description would be that he was dysfunctional outside of actual athletics. Fund raising, NIL, schmoozing, etc. He was aloof and/or an *******, depending on who you ask. But only WBB is in worse shape than when he took over (unavoidable), and many other sports are better.

I often wondered why the folks who had such vitriol towards Cohen the AD didn’t direct their anger towards the ones that made him AD in the first place. Cohen didn’t unilaterally hire himself, and it really wasn’t entirely Keenum’s decision, either.
If you would be willing to name some of these people I think a lot of us would be more than happy to throw some vitriol their way. Right now the only person I know responsible for hiring Cohen as AD was the guy he worked for, Keenum.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Winning a Championship in a sport 90% of the NCAA don’t even try at was a great accomplishment
Actually, at least pre-NIL, baseball was one of the most difficult sports to win a national championship in no matter how much you 'tried'. So it was a great accomplishment to finally get one. Unlike football, there is a lot of randomness inherent in baseball and there has always been the same 11.7 schollys for schools that don't care as there is for schools that do care. Football is the easiest for the best programs to dominate because of the physical nature of football and the fact that football has a glut of scholarships that allows elite programs to scarf up most all the elite players on signing day and then just spit out the ones that don't live up to their hype later. Now yes, if you are dominant enough (and use steriods) like LSU in the 90s, you can win big consistently in Omaha but that's about the only way, and that was a different era.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

How many employees does the Bulldog Club have? I'll bet it's way too many.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
No. He wasn’t. He’s got a lot of faults, but Cohen rebuilt our baseball program from the ashes. Raffo would have been a disaster.
Even as a baseball coach he was hit & miss. He rebuilt the program & had some great seasons. But no coach in our history has finished dead **ing last as much as I’d did.
I’m pretty sure he has the worst cumulative SEC record of all time in Ms state baseball history as a head coach. Maybe worse overall too. He was above average at times but never special.

• Wow
Reactions: eckie1 and patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I’m pretty sure he has the worst cumulative SEC record of all time in Ms state baseball history as a head coach. Maybe worse overall too. He was above average at times but never special.

Some of ya’ll are on drugs. 2009-2010 were 100% completely on Polk. Awful talent left over and still his awful recruits coming in. 2011-2016, when actual Cohen recruits started coming in,brought 3 super regionals, a national runner up finish, and an SEC title. Thats the best half-decade run we had since before the 12 team SEC, and was only exceeded by the next 5 years which were largely also a product of Cohen recruits.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Some of ya’ll are on drugs. 2009-2010 were 100% completely on Polk. Awful talent left over and still his awful recruits coming in. 2011-2016, when actual Cohen recruits started coming in,brought 3 super regionals, a national runner up finish, and an SEC title. Thats the best half-decade run we had since before the 12 team SEC, and was only exceeded by the next 5 years which were largely also a product of Cohen recruits.
You’re the one on drugs my friend. 2011-2016. We went 94-87 in the SEC overall. We had two good years where we went 18-12 and 21-9. Our best team under Cohen never made it out of the Supers.