RPI is up to 40

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Memphis win + other results gave us an unexpected 5 point jump.

Warren Nolan predictions:
1 of 3 vs. Vandy
2 of 3 vs. Alabama
Get swept at Arkansas
Sweep vs. Mizzou

That puts us at 16-14

Also has us winning Governor's Cup + UNA. Predicted RPI with these results is 42. Take out UNA and its 36. If you could get one at Arkansas it would be 31.

Got to start thinking about canceling that UNA game, guys.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Also, we have a low risk, high reward situation in Emmitsburg, Maryland tonight. 8-8 Mount St Marys plays 0-33 Maryland-Eastern Shore in a double header. If Mount St, Marys sweeps the double header, we could move up 2 spots to 38. If they were swept, we would only drop one.

Our problem is, of the top 58 teams in the RPI, we are tied for the most Quad 4 losses with 4. That is killing us. If we win 2 of those games we are in the top 25 RPI

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Memphis win + other results gave us an unexpected 5 point jump.

Warren Nolan predictions:
1 of 3 vs. Vandy
2 of 3 vs. Alabama
Get swept at Arkansas
Sweep vs. Mizzou

That puts us at 16-14

Also has us winning Governor's Cup + UNA. Predicted RPI with these results is 42. Take out UNA and its 36. If you could get one at Arkansas it would be 31.

Got to start thinking about canceling that UNA game, guys.
I’ve changed my mind. Georgia gets the award for fooling the rpi the most. Holy smokes that resume stinks. And they are 9

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’ve changed my mind. Georgia gets the award for fooling the rpi the most. Holy smokes that resume stinks. And they are 9
UGA and Mississippi are in a virtual tie for that honor. RPI is a very bad metric to measure teams by. Auburn still had a higher RPI than us after we swept them. I get they've played a tough SEC schedule so far. But their OOC schedule and results are both garbage.

Reactions: She Mate Me

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I realize its a message board. But cant look at RPI on a daily basis. Will drive you crazy.

Look at it a week at a time.

The RPI is going to keep us from hosting in all likelyhood barring some unexpected wins or a deep hoover run.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Its really not a bad thing. It rewards you for playing a tough schedule and beating good teams. I think Florida losing to Florida State mid week should be rewarded more than us playing/beating a high school team like Jackson State... and the RPI agrees with that too.

Sure sometimes a team you think is going to be a good team isnt, and its dings you a little. But in general its a rather easy formula to navigate.

We (and other sec schools too) play some really bad teams in the mid week... but again what killed us is the poor pre-conference schedule. Had we just scheduled 1 tough weekend on the or the road or a neutral site our RPI right now would likely be 10-15 points higher.

Thats on the staff.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Oh I totally disagree. If you’re 30-10 and 9-9 in the SEC, you belong near the Top 10. They did sweep a Top 20 Bama and took one on the road at Tennessee. Also beat a Top 5 Clemson last night.

Reactions: HuntDawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Its really not a bad thing. It rewards you for playing a tough schedule and beating good teams. I think Florida losing to Florida State mid week should be rewarded more than us playing/beating a high school team like Jackson State... and the RPI agrees with that too.

Sure sometimes a team you think is going to be a good team isnt, and its dings you a little. But in general its a rather easy formula to navigate.

We (and other sec schools too) play some really bad teams in the mid week... but again what killed us is the poor pre-conference schedule. Had we just scheduled 1 tough weekend on the or the road or a neutral site our RPI right now would likely be 10-15 points higher.

Thats on the staff.
But it doesn't reward you for beating good teams. It rewards you for playing them. If you go 40-10, RPI doesn't care if the losses are to the 10 best teams on your schedule or the 10 worst.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
But it doesn't reward you for beating good teams. It rewards you for playing them. If you go 40-10, RPI doesn't care if the losses are to the 10 best teams on your schedule or the 10 worst.
Yes and no. It looks at the totality of it all. So it looks at how difficult your schedule is and how successful you are against it.

Hence why looking at RPI daily is worthless. And its probably not a good idea to look at it weekly either, but thats kinda how i go about it... and its also why the SEC ends up with high RPI's because we all play each other, which in turn makes everyones schedule more difficult.

That said this season with us getting the bottom half of the SEC.. and missing out playing the top half of the SEC.. is another factor that will hurt our RPI.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
and to go one step farther... makes it even dumber as to why our staff didnt schedule at least 1 tough weekend opponent in the pre-conference schedule.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Oh I totally disagree. If you’re 30-10 and 9-9 in the SEC, you belong near the Top 10. They did sweep a Top 20 Bama and took one on the road at Tennessee. Also beat a Top 5 Clemson last night.
Yeah but that’s the thing. It’s circular. Why is Bama 20? Are they really any good. Bottom line is without looking at RPI there is just nothing special about that Georgia resume. Georgia has 3 conference series wins and none of the oppoenents are near .500 In conf. And a 100+ OOC SOS

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Yeah but that’s the thing. It’s circular. Why is Bama 20? Are they really any good. Bottom line is without looking at RPI there is just nothing special about that Georgia resume. Georgia has 3 conference series wins and none of the oppoenents are near .500 In conf. And a 100+ OOC SOS
Georgia is 8-5 against the top 25.
Theyve played 7 games against the top 5

Theyve played quality non conference foes (clemson, GT twice, wofford is solid, they play Clemson again later in the year)

Their schedule is worthy.

30-10 against that schedule. Props to them.

without looking at RPIs... just cant happen unless you go back to 2010. RPIs is the name of the game in college baseball, much like Net is in college basketball.... thats ALL that matters. So best figure it out

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Auburn has played the toughest schedule in the country. They are 20-20 (2-13) and 42nd in the RPI. The RPI rewards a tough schedule.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
At a certain point you just get credit for winning games. Their nonconference SOS is on par with most of the SEC. Not especially bad. And they’re 21-1 in those games.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I realize its a message board. But cant look at RPI on a daily basis. Will drive you crazy.

Look at it a week at a time.

The RPI is going to keep us from hosting in all likelyhood barring some unexpected wins or a deep hoover run.

The truth is RPI has us underrated some and we are improved, but we haven't earned a Top 16 seed.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The truth is RPI has us underrated some and we are improved, but we haven't earned a Top 16 seed.
for sure improved.. but not sure how RPI has underrated us. Its not really something where it can overrate or underrate anyone... and its the main metric the committee has used in recent years to determine host seeds/tournament teams. In fact there were two teams left out last year (notre dame and kansas state) who both finished higher in their own conference, but teams that finished lower in the standings got in due to RPI alone....

Hence why our RPI being so bad, despite our record, isnt a good thing. Good for us, we are playing well enough to where it likely wont effect us getting into the tournament, but will damage our "hosting" case a great deal.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
for sure improved.. but not sure how RPI has underrated us. Its not really something where it can overrate or underrate anyone...

I'm not sure what you mean here. Of course RPI can overrate or underrate a team's strength relative to the other teams being rated, like any rating system.

Every other rating system I've looked at (certainly not all there are) has us ranked higher than RPI currently does...

ELO #25
Massey #24
Coaches #28
Boyd's ISR #31

Thus, I believe RPI likely has us somewhat underrated.