RPI Up to #24

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yep. Bama, Coastal, and Florida are all ahead of us….all of whom we’d easily jump in the pecking order if the season ended today. We can put a nail in Bama’s coffin this weekend with just 2 of 3, they’d have 14 losses and more or less need back to back sweeps to get back in consideration. So realistically, we’re somewhere in that 17-19 range right now in terms of resume.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Pitching is starting to come together and the hitting is ok minus DH, C, 3B. Need to win two every weekend.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Pitching is starting to come together and the hitting is ok minus DH, C, 3B. Need to win two every weekend.
Last night showed Pico and Ligon can help. No idea why Ligon hasn’t been used more.
If the lineup runs into any sort of quality arm we are in trouble.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Last night showed Pico and Ligon can help. No idea why Ligon hasn’t been used more.
If the lineup runs into any sort of quality arm we are in trouble.
Pico and Ligon should both be used as they are. To make sure we win mid week games. Should only be used in specific spots on the weekends if at all.

They should both pitch the UNA game.. and be ready for game 1 of the sec tournament.

Thats their role and an important one.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Pico and Ligon should both be used as they are. To make sure we win mid week games. Should only be used in specific spots on the weekends if at all.

They should both pitch the UNA game.. and be ready for game 1 of the sec tournament.

Thats their role and an important one.
I think there are spots we could throw them on the weekend for an inning or two instead of schedule and they can still throw a midweek. Ligon kept us in the OM game that Saturday. But in regionals we won’t have the midweek issue.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I think there are spots we could throw them on the weekend for an inning or two instead of schedule and they can still throw a midweek. Ligon kept us in the OM game that Saturday. But in regionals we won’t have the midweek issue.
Pico is returning from major arm surgery. He doesnt need to be pushed.

I do agree they can help, but we should have quality arms available and set to throw all mid-week games to develop and make sure those games are wins. The way the SEC tournament is set up, we'll have to use a mid-week arm to play game 1 anyway. Keep those guys healthy, upright, and raring to go for those mid week games for the time being.

Re-evaulate everything once the post-season starts.

This staff has dropped the ball on mid week games over the past few years and not having a mid week starter or quality mid week options have been an issue.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Yep. Bama, Coastal, and Florida are all ahead of us….all of whom we’d easily jump in the pecking order if the season ended today. We can put a nail in Bama’s coffin this weekend with just 2 of 3, they’d have 14 losses and more or less need back to back sweeps to get back in consideration. So realistically, we’re somewhere in that 17-19 range right now in terms of resume.
How big are those 2 losses by 1 run to Florida now? BOTH games we gave up runs in the bottom of the 9th to lose by 1. Those 2 road losses turned into WINS would be YUGE about now

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
lemmings GIF

Oh boy. Here we go.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
How big are those 2 losses by 1 run to Florida now? BOTH games we gave up runs in the bottom of the 9th to lose by 1. Those 2 road losses turned into WINS would be YUGE about now
Had we held on to 2 of the 3 blown losses to Florida, Florida or OM we would have entered last night at 17 or 18. The great thing about college baseball is every game matters.

Reactions: eckie1

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
If he is talking about me, I posted that I thought the four bad losses would keep us from hosting but we'd be a ***** of a 2 seed for one of the ACC hosts.

We are playing really well, but we have no room for error. Need to win 2 of 3 this weekend, not get swept at Arkansas - then you have to go 4-0 the last weekend when we play teams where wins will lower your RPI.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Oklahoma
Oklahoma State-- right now projected as a 10 seed by baseball america

Are the top 2 teams in the big 12. Their RPIs are right below ours. They'll be seeded above us if the season ended today. The big12 isnt going to be left out of hosting. So you can count on their champ trumping us in a hosting spot, and maybe even their top 2.

There arent really any teams above us outside of Florida and Alabama at this point, but if either of those teams get to 16 sec wins they'll host before us... and BA doesnt have either of those hosting.

BA has us a 2 seed in a national seeds bracket and D1 baseball doesnt have us hosting either. Meaning we are probably a good 8-10 spots behind a hosting spot which would have us in that 24-25 range that we are listed now RPI wise.

Its literally impossible to project at this point. There are 10 teams that with a good weekend jumps into the conversation, Florida sweeps Tennessee, they are very much in the host convo. We need everything to go perfect down the stretch to host. Starting this weekend. Sweeping Mizzou. And either doing something unexpected in Arkansas or making a run in Hoover.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Every team can play the what if game. What if we don't score late twice against Vandy? Or the Mississippi pitching staff doesn't implode in the 8th inning last night? Your record is your record, and it's the one you deserve.

Reactions: HuntDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Every team can play the what if game. What if we don't score late twice against Vandy? Or the Mississippi pitching staff doesn't implode in the 8th inning last night? Your record is your record, and it's the one you deserve.
Yep. What if Georgia fields the ground ball double play on Sunday.

It cuts both ways. People just seem to forget when the break is a positive one.

Reactions: onewoof and patdog

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Yep. What if Georgia fields the ground ball double play on Sunday.

It cuts both ways. People just seem to forget when the break is a positive one.
Same thing last night, botched double play would have kept it close, and we benefited from a mistake from the Rebs

Reactions: patdog

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t think so. I mean winning 2 each weekend left would probably lock up a host… but if we only win 1 against Arkansas, I think that will be good enough. Of course that’s assuming we win 2 from both Bama and Missouri

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Who the hell wants us to fail? I think some people bittch just to bittch.
I think largely that's true, but there are some people on this board and in this fanbase that would rather be proven right than see the team succeed.

I've predicted doom and destruction myself before, but it's always with the caveat that "nobody will be happier to see me wrong than me." Not everybody feels that way about their opinions though.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Had we held on to 2 of the 3 blown losses to Florida, Florida or OM we would have entered last night at 17 or 18. The great thing about college baseball is every game matters.
Don’t even tell me what we look like without the two home losses to Austin Peay.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I think largely that's true, but there are some people on this board and in this fanbase that would rather be proven right than see the team succeed.

I've predicted doom and destruction myself before, but it's always with the caveat that "nobody will be happier to see me wrong than me." Not everybody feels that way about their opinions though.
Post of the week!

We all know that some on here love to denigrate teams, players and coaches so they can do a little celebration dance on here when they fail. I think most are like you (and me) where we love to admit we were wrong.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

It's confirmation bias. "I am only here to be proven that I am right in everything I think or say."

It's a weakness and kinda sad.

Last edited:

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
I know many of you ******* want us to fail, but we're hosting bitches.

I'd slow it down speed racer. We haven't beat Bama yet and the last two times we've hosted Mizzou (****** teams both times) we lost the series. Let's see how this weekend plays out. If we win the Bama series we've got a legit shot.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It's confirmation bias. "I am only here to be proven that I am right in everything I think or say."

It's a weakness and kinda sad.
You’re saying the quiet part out loud…..the quiet part being that what you said is the entire business model and premise of sports message boards (and political forums, etc.).

Reactions: onewoof