Rumblings T8&4 to the Big 10...

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I can't see this happening and they don't seem to be a fit, but it's making the rounds on message boards.

It would be a blow to the SEC. Maybe the Aggies are butt hurt over Texas?

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
They can’t take the heat. Plus they look like cowards running from TX.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Chocolate Milk Fist Bump GIF by promisedlanddairy

patdog

May 28, 2007
They are very resentful about Texas to the SEC. How many schools can the Big 10 take though?

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
How many schools can the Big 10 take though?
I think that's the biggest thing for me. The Big Ten isn't paying Washington or Oregon a full share. No way that Texas A&M waltzes in a year later and gets a better deal than them. Is Fox, CBS, and NBC gonna pay up? I doubt it.

It would be a disaster for them to leave.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think that's the biggest thing for me. The Big Ten isn't paying Washington or Oregon a full share. No way that Texas A&M waltzes in a year later and gets a better deal than them. Is Fox, CBS, and NBC gonna pay up? I doubt it.

And the Big 10 wants to add at least 2 of the ACC schools when the time comes.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022

Don’t kid yourself. Big 10 would LOVE a major player in Texas…

I would swap them for North Carolina in a second if I was in Bham… plus State could get their original Maroon pms 202 back… then say 17 you to Adidas & to the ugly *** gray we currently use because of them.

Those gray numbers on the Maroon unis tonight looks like 💩

Reactions: Maroon13

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Get ready to fire up them private jets.

I can see good on both sides of this. I think it may make a little sense for aTm to be more competitive and be away from Texas, and give them a chance to stand out. On the other hand I like the rivalry and geography of the SEC.

OldVideoGuy

Jun 25, 2021
So a bunch of people got fired from actually working there to pay a guy not to work there, because of a decision made by a guy that no longer works there because he got a more prolific job. Makes sense.
Have a little knowledge on this since a portion deals with my former job at State Athletics. The people that got let go are basically football support staff. The sports video staff lost 2 of their 3 full time people, the equipment staff was fired and the training staff was fired. I knew their video staff and their head trainer was our Head Trainer here before Thomas took over. Good people in those two department and it stinks they got let go because of trying to find money to pay former coaches and future players. These departments work their tails off and get no recognition. They are now as expendable as coaches/analysts but without the contract buyouts.

Reactions: mcdawg22

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
They are very resentful about Texas to the SEC. How many schools can the Big 10 take though?
I'm thinking as many as they want. If it means invading sec tv turf.

The sec losing a team to the B10 is not good. Especially if the B10 steals FSU and Clemson too.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Have a little knowledge on this since a portion deals with my former job at State Athletics. The people that got let go are basically football support staff. The sports video staff lost 2 of their 3 full time people, the equipment staff was fired and the training staff was fired. I knew their video staff and their head trainer was our Head Trainer here before Thomas took over. Good people in those two department and it stinks they got let go because of trying to find money to pay former coaches and future players. These departments work their tails off and get no recognition. They are now as expendable as coaches/analysts but without the contract buyouts.
Well this is interesting. Great insight, thanks for posting. So aTm is hurting for money? So many people are trying to convince us that these schools are flush with cash.

I tried to tell everybody this. So did Greg Byrne. I realize aTm’s issue isn’t tied to NIL but if the schools ever have to players you better bet your *** it will be. And with all these alumni now paying into NIL, that’s taking away from school donations, many of which would be going to athletics in some fashion.

Hmmmmm….

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Get ready to fire up them private jets.

I can see good on both sides of this. I think it may make a little sense for aTm to be more competitive and be away from Texas, and give them a chance to stand out. On the other hand I like the rivalry and geography of the SEC.
So they trade Alabama and Georgia for Michigan and Ohio State? Not a great deal.

They won’t do any better in the Big Ten than they have in the SEC competition wise (outside maybe baseball and softball) and they’ll be decreasing their athletic department’s profitability by increasing travel costs. More importantly, they’re not going to make more money.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So they trade Alabama and Georgia for Michigan and Ohio State? Not a great deal.

They won’t do any better in the Big Ten than they have in the SEC competition wise (outside maybe baseball and softball)
You done bumped yo head

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I'm thinking as many as they want. If it means invading sec tv turf.

The sec losing a team to the B10 is not good. Especially if the B10 steals FSU and Clemson too.
It's only 'as many as they want' if each school is willing to give up a piece of their pie to bring the new school in or if their media partners will pay for the addition. They weren't able to offer Washington or Oregon a full revenue share because NBC/CBS/Fox wouldn't pay up.

I feel like it's very unlikely that the Big Ten will take FSU or Clemson unless either attains AAU membership in the next few years. Clemson is probably a lot closer than FSU.

Reactions: Maroon13 and patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's only 'as many as they want' if each school is willing to give up a piece of their pie to bring the new school in or if their media partners will pay for the addition. They weren't able to offer Washington or Oregon a full revenue share because NBC/CBS/Fox wouldn't pay up.

I feel like it's very unlikely that the Big Ten will take FSU or Clemson unless either attains AAU membership in the next few years. Clemson is probably a lot closer than FSU.
I'm not sure how big of a target Clemson will be in 5-10 years when this all goes down. Dabo had a fantastic 9-year run. But other than that, their entire history has been a good, but not nationally elite football program. North Carolina is the big prize. Followed by Florida St. Then Virginia, Clemson, NC State tier.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You done bumped yo head
So last year, in football, they finished 4th in the SEC West and what would have been 6th or 7th overall.

Where would they have finished in the Big Ten? Behind Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa definitely and they'd be somewhere in the mix with Maryland, Northwestern, and Wisconsin, so somewhere between 5th and 8th, just like they were in the SEC.

They're not contending for a Big Ten Championship in football with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, Washington, and maybe Iowa or Oregon.

In men's basketball, they finished 7th, right in the middle of the pack behind Tennessee, Kentucky, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, and Florida and tied with LSU. In the Big Ten, they might have had a better finish, but I think they would have still been behind Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska, and Northwestern. So, 5th instead of 7th? Maybe? Again, it's not like they're going to suddenly start competing for championships in the Big Ten.

Women's basketball, they finished 9th behind South Carolina, LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Auburn, and Mississippi State. In the Big Ten, they'd be behind Ohio State, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan State, Nebraska, Michigan, Penn State, Maryland, and maybe Illinois, so they'd actually probably go down.

Tell me where I'm telling lies.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So last year, in football, they finished 4th in the SEC West and what would have been 6th or 7th overall.

Where would they have finished in the Big Ten? Behind Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa definitely and they'd be somewhere in the mix with Maryland, Northwestern, and Wisconsin, so somewhere between 5th and 8th, just like they were in the SEC.

They're not contending for a Big Ten Championship in football with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, Washington, and maybe Iowa or Oregon.

In men's basketball, they finished 7th, right in the middle of the pack behind Tennessee, Kentucky, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, and Florida and tied with LSU. In the Big Ten, they might have had a better finish, but I think they would have still been behind Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska, and Northwestern. So, 5th instead of 7th? Maybe? Again, it's not like they're going to suddenly start competing for championships in the Big Ten.

Women's basketball, they finished 9th behind South Carolina, LSU, Ole Miss, Alabama, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Auburn, and Mississippi State. In the Big Ten, they'd be behind Ohio State, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan State, Nebraska, Michigan, Penn State, Maryland, and maybe Illinois, so they'd actually probably go down.

Tell me where I'm telling lies.
You can't look me in the eyes and keep a straight face, while telling me that the new B1G is as tough, or even close to as tough, as the new SEC.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Maybe so. However I'm assuming someone is already courting FSU and Clemson, because both are so motivated to leave the ACC. Is it the SEC offering them? Probably not at this point.

However if both are trying to get out of the ACC just for the sake of getting out, they may screw themselves.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You can't look me in the eyes and keep a straight face, while telling me that the new B1G is as tough, or even close to as tough, as the new SEC.
I can tell with a straight face that top to bottom, it's not some wide gap and it's definitely not a wide gap when we're talking about the top 4-5 programs in each conference. The SEC is adding Texas and OU. The Big Ten is adding USC and Washington. I don't think there is a wide gap between those additions. Texas is better than they have been, but they were also feasting on a weak Big 12. OU isn't as good as they have been, but when they were good, they were also feasting on a weak Big 12, just like USC & Washington feasted on a weak Pac-12.

I can also tell you that as a fan of a team that has spent the last 15 years in the median of college football, that I don't think it's worth switching conferences to go from 7th to 6th most seasons. Whether you're in the Big Ten or the SEC, most of that middle tier (SEC Examples: Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Kentucky, A&M, South Carolina, Missouri) has the opportunity to have one magic football season every decade or two where you break through and make it into the SEC Championship, but the blue bloods are always going to recover and repair the ceiling for the next 5-10 years. Texas A&M will not do significantly better in the Big Ten than they have in the SEC. Can they become T9&3? Maybe, but is that worth flying your non-revenue sports to Rutgers and Oregon for?

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I'm not sure how big of a target Clemson will be in 5-10 years when this all goes down. Dabo had a fantastic 9-year run. But other than that, their entire history has been a good, but not nationally elite football program. North Carolina is the big prize. Followed by Florida St. Then Virginia, Clemson, NC State tier.
I guess I meant that Clemson is closer to being a potential AAU school than Florida State is. I agree that North Carolina is probably the best target.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Maybe so. However I'm assuming someone is already courting FSU and Clemson, because both are so motivated to leave the ACC. Is it the SEC offering them? Probably not at this point.

However if both are trying to get out of the ACC just for the sake of getting out, they may screw themselves.
Yeah, I'm not sure how the prorata works with the new ESPN contract for the SEC. If ESPN isn't willing to pay about $50-$70 Million more per year (between the SEC and CFP contracts) apiece for Clemson or FSU home games, I'm not sure it's a good deal for the SEC.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Don’t kid yourself. Big 10 would LOVE a major player in Texas…

I would swap them for North Carolina in a second if I was in Bham… plus State could get their original Maroon pms 202 back… then say 17 you to Adidas & to the ugly *** gray we currently use because of them.

Those gray numbers on the Maroon unis tonight looks like 💩
The gray pants for football are elite, I don't care what anyone says.

Now...generally the uni combos for baseball this season have been :poop: