SECT Day 2 early games thread

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
If you want to know how dumb it is to count tournament games the same as weekend - KY started their 5th or 6th guy. LSU started Luke Holman.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
If you want to know how dumb it is to count tournament games the same as weekend - KY started their 5th or 6th guy. LSU started Luke Holman.
I don’t disagree but at the same time you may see the same thing tonight if we start Stephen, I highly doubt A&M starts their top guy.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I still don't think they count them all that much. I know what they say, but I think in most cases your resume is pretty much done before conference tournaments. We're right on a bubble, so we MAY be able to move up to host a regional. But I think LSU was already in the tournament after the Mississippi sweep.

Reactions: 8dog

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I don’t disagree but at the same time you may see the same thing tonight if we start Stephen, I highly doubt A&M starts their top guy.
Why wouldn't these top seeds start some of their weekend talent? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to have their top guys pitch this week instead of their guys not pitching for 2 weeks before regionals? Or are they working under the premise that they'll get the chance to pitch later in the week and have an extra day or two of rest?

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Why wouldn't these top seeds start some of their weekend talent? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to have their top guys pitch this week instead of their guys not pitching for 2 weeks before regionals? Or are they working under the premise that they'll get the chance to pitch later in the week and have an extra day or two of rest?
Well they’re guaranteed at least 2 games. I suspect you’ll see most of their aces throw tomorrow on normal rest.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
It pains me to pull for LSU when they are playing anyone not named Ole Miss or Vanderbilt.
It especially sucks to see them turn things around this season. I've been enjoying seeing their nosedive this season. Even more so than Vandy's dumpster fire.

Reactions: stateu1

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well they’re guaranteed at least 2 games. I suspect you’ll see most of their aces throw tomorrow on normal rest.
Exactly. Good time for them to get a start in for whoever might start a potential regional Game 5 if needed. Then go with your normal rotation starting Thursday.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
I think Aggies have already said somewhere, they arent starting their "ace", but they really have 2 of those. I think I would rather face Ashenbeck than Prager. Prager has the bigger K rate.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I think Aggies have already said somewhere, they arent starting their "ace", but they really have 2 of those. I think I would rather face Ashenbeck than Prager. Prager has the bigger K rate.
Ashenbeck is more of a reliever, we may seem him tonight but probably not immediately.

They have a deep pitching staff and a number of guys who have started games, hard to forecast exactly who we might see, unless Schloss has already announced and I just missed it.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Ashenbeck is more of a reliever, we may seem him tonight but probably not immediately.

They have a deep pitching staff and a number of guys who have started games, hard to forecast exactly who we might see, unless Schloss has already announced and I just missed it.
ah yea, my bad. Forgot he is really a pen guy

patdog

May 28, 2007
The teams with nothing to play for are getting the hell out of Hoover.
This is one reason I don't think the committee pays as much attention to conference tournament games as they say they do. When one team is throwing their #1 pitcher and the other is throwing #5, it's really little more than an exhibition.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I'm pulling for Arkansas against South Carolina. Arkansas winning should help our metrics a little bit, but more importantly, if the committee is giving six hosts to the SEC, I don't want South Carolina going on a run.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
The Arkansas starter had an ERA of 9.39 in just 7.2 SEC innings. They might give South Carolina a Quad 1 win today.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
This is one reason I don't think the committee pays as much attention to conference tournament games as they say they do. When one team is throwing their #1 pitcher and the other is throwing #5, it's really little more than an exhibition.
The only issue for us is metrics. To my knowledge, RPI does not consider who pitches. Neutral-site games vs. high-metric teams matter, regardless of who pitches.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The only issue for us is metrics. To my knowledge, RPI does not consider who pitches. Neutral-site games vs. high-metric teams matter, regardless of who pitches.
Oh, it absolutely counts for RPI. How much stock the committee puts into it though? Probably not as much as they say. They're not idiots. They know some teams mail it in for the conference tournaments. Also, just the mechanics of going through the selection process. It's not something that's done in a day or two. They've already done a lot of the work by now.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I'm pulling for Arkansas against South Carolina. Arkansas winning should help our metrics a little bit, but more importantly, if the committee is giving six hosts to the SEC, I don't want South Carolina going on a run.
There is zero chance of SC hosting when they finished 13-17 in the regular season and were the 10 seed in the conference tournament.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
There is zero chance of SC hosting when they finished 13-17 in the regular season and were the 10 seed in the conference tournament.
I tend to agree with you, but in the unlikely event they run through the tourney, they would have a top-16 RPI with 18 wins vs. SEC teams. We're also talking about an imperfect committee.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I tend to agree with you, but in the unlikely event they run through the tourney, they would have a top-16 RPI with 18 wins vs. SEC teams. We're also talking about an imperfect committee.
That might earn them a 2 seed and an easier Regional destination but it’s not getting them a host.