SECT: double first base

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I bet Green was chosen as a color because no SEC school uses it. **

(exceptin’ of course when buyin’, sellin’, or accumulatin’**)

Reactions: Dawgg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
ryan reynolds hd GIF

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I've seen it in some high school and little league games. The argument 'for' is that it reduces the likelihood of collisions, trips, broken ankles, etc. at first base.

I don't have strong feelings about it one way or another.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I've seen it in some high school and little league games. The argument 'for' is that it reduces the likelihood of collisions, trips, broken ankles, etc. at first base.

How many of those do we actually have though. Trying something ridiculous to solve a problem that doesn’t exist.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I can see their point {not}.

If this happened often, I might understand. This makes absolutely no sense.

Reactions: patdog
Aug 3, 2011
Eh, I don’t really feel strongly one way or the other. Kinda lean more on the why not side. Makes it less likely for your runner to get a runners interference call for running inside the line. It gives the catcher a better throwing lane on a bad bunt. Kind of a weird take to be completely against it. Things change, rules get updated.

This did make the rounds back at the end of March.

Reactions: Dawgg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
In addition to injuries, I think the motivation behind this is to make the base path more reasonable for the runner. Correct me if I’m wrong, but technically, you are expected to run to the right of the white line until the very last step, at which point you step on the bag that is on and to the left of the white line. This most often comes into play when a ball is fielded by the catcher. If the throw hits you while on the white line, you’re out. This second first base would allow runners to run perfectly straight to the right of the white line.

Someone can correct me on all that. In any case, I expect our team to adjust to the new base running rules with minimal mistakes.

Reactions: Prince of Darkness

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
If we need this to reduce injuries, why is it for the SEC Tournament only? Why not just implement it in all SEC games? Or all NCAA games?

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg
Aug 3, 2011
If we need this to reduce injuries, why is it for the SEC Tournament only? Why not just implement it in all SEC games? Or all NCAA games?
I’d imagine it will be. But it easier to debut it on a single ball-field where everyone (mostly) is playing in the conference. See how it goes, then implement it across the board at all 14(16) locations.
If it causes unforeseen issues then they didn’t have all teams changing their ball-fields for it without testing the waters first.

Reactions: CoastRat.sixpack

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
Wasn't there talk at one time about making head first slides illegal to prevent injuries?
Maybe the next step will be to prevent sliding altogether. And then eliminating pitchers and using pitching machines to eliminate Tommy John injuries. And going back to the old face mask on the helmet to prevent face injuries. And maybe making the bases only 70 feet apart to prevent hamstring injuries. Or maybe using flat bases to prevent ankle injuries. Or adding kidney pads like in football to prevent hit by pitch kidney damage. Or doing away with catchers to prevent knee injuries. Need to take down those fences out there. Players have running into them at a higher rate than ever. And going back to eliminating pitchers and using pitching machines will eliminate the hit by pitch and walks altogether which speed up the game to keep players from heat exhaustion.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Eh, I don’t really feel strongly one way or the other. Kinda lean more on the why not side. Makes it less likely for your runner to get a runners interference call for running inside the line. It gives the catcher a better throwing lane on a bad bunt. Kind of a weird take to be completely against it. Things change, rules get updated.

A second first base wouldn’t have prevented that collision. The first baseman ran through the bag and obliterated the base runner.

Nice try, but no…

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I honestly think the designated hitter is more of a desecration than two first bases.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018

A double base does nothing to prevent that collision.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Wasn't there talk at one time about making head first slides illegal to prevent injuries?
Maybe the next step will be to prevent sliding altogether. And then eliminating pitchers and using pitching machines to eliminate Tommy John injuries. And going back to the old face mask on the helmet to prevent face injuries. And maybe making the bases only 70 feet apart to prevent hamstring injuries. Or maybe using flat bases to prevent ankle injuries. Or adding kidney pads like in football to prevent hit by pitch kidney damage. Or doing away with catchers to prevent knee injuries. Need to take down those fences out there. Players have running into them at a higher rate than ever. And going back to eliminating pitchers and using pitching machines will eliminate the hit by pitch and walks altogether which speed up the game to keep players from heat exhaustion.
IMG_8016.gif

patdog

May 28, 2007
How about a double home plate. The pitcher throws to the catcher behind one and batter hits off of the T on the other. Also every player gets an MVP award even if they never get off of the bench. Everyone plays in bubble wrap. Jeez people, toughen up a little.
Too bad we didn't have a double second base a week ago so Hunter Hines wouldn't have been called for interference sliding into second. We should just double all the bases for safety. Really, that's not enough either. Let's just go to 4 bases for each base, arranged in a 2X2 grid.

Oct 17, 2023
Too bad we didn't have a double second base a week ago so Hunter Hines wouldn't have been called for interference sliding into second. We should just double all the bases for safety. Really, that's not enough either. Let's just go to 4 bases for each base, arranged in a 2X2 grid.

If we had had 2 2nd bases, since its us, the sec would have ruled that it counted as 2 outs.

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Can the first baseman use the extended bag to get an out? Meaning, if a throw from the catcher is wide right, can the first baseman use the green bag to get the out, or is it solely for the runner?

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Can the first baseman use the extended bag to get an out? Meaning, if a throw from the catcher is wide right, can the first baseman use the green bag to get the out, or is it solely for the runner?
Or, make it really interesting. 1B has to tag the right bag. If he tags the white one and the runner runs to the green one, runner is safe.