Seeing Reports That...

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Humorously, the agency he signed with is named "Loyalty above All"

Whatever. These players don't give a shite about the fans, so I wash my hands of them once they show themselves to be disloyal.

Adios, amigo. I'll never see you play again.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022

Whatever. These players don't give a shite about the fans, so I wash my hands of them once they show themselves to be disloyal.

And you "fans" don't give a crap about the players. The end result is all you care about and the players know it. I think you and Rod should look in the mirror when you throw out words such as "selfish".

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
And you "fans" don't give a crap about the players. The end result is all you care about and the players know it. I think you and Rod should look in the mirror when you throw out words such as "selfish".

Well, you don't know anything about anything I care about. So I don't care what you think about things you think I care about.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
There is an interesting dichotomy when it comes to bowls.

On the one hand, bowl eligibility is touted by fans as a big accomplishment. Something to be proud of.

On the other hand, it's not important enough for the players to bother playing in it.

Reactions: Lurker123

Sharris

Joined Mar 22, 2016
Jan 31, 2022
...Cam Smith has signed with an agent - so no bowl for him.
Because of NIL, the signing with an agent has no consequence of whether he plays in a bowl or not. Almost all fo these players have agents now, who are not only securing deals, but helping them with taxes, etc.... If he chooses not to play, as a projected first rounder, it would make perfect sense and we all should wish him well.

Sharris

Joined Mar 22, 2016
Jan 31, 2022
Because of NIL, the signing with an agent has no consequence of whether he plays in a bowl or not. Almost all fo these players have agents now, who are not only securing deals, but helping them with taxes, etc.... If he chooses not to play, as a projected first rounder, it would make perfect sense and we all should wish him well.
...Cam Smith has signed with an agent - so no bowl for him.
Case in point, Spencer Rattler's agent was referenced as one he would consult as to if he decided to come back and play another year.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Different kind of agent. Rattler signed with an agent for NIL issues. @KingWard is correct. Signing with an agent as Cam did strips eligibility.

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
Bullshiit.
Different kind of agent. Rattler signed with an agent for NIL issues. @KingWard is correct. Signing with an agent as Cam did strips eligibility.

Owned him!

Reactions: KingWard

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
For the purposes of marketing one's athletic talent, the rules that were effective in 2018 are still effective now. Basketball players only can declare for the draft one time, but return to school if they are not drafted.

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022

And the players don't give a crap about the team, so....🤔

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
What piques our interest in these players to begin with? Why do we ever become interested in what they do? Had they never played on the team we pull for, would we care about their decisions or careers one way or the other? Hum?

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
What piques our interest in these players to begin with? Why do we ever become interested in what they do? Had they never played on the team we pull for, would we care about their decisions or careers one way or the other? Hum?
It's a team sport, so I would say team first and then fan favorites. But, I do follow careers of favorites not on my team.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Certainly, obviously, the only reason anyone around here cared about Cam Smith is that he played for us. If he'd gone anywhere else nobody would give a hoot. As fans we cheer for the team and, logically, anyone who is playing on the team. Goes hand in hand. If you play for USC, I'm rooting for you. As fans, we like to believe that the players are as emotionally invested in the team as we are. Some certainly are. Others, like Cam, are not. It's just the natural deterioration of the sport that's taking place. The rot set in LONG ago in pro sports. College sports seemed largely immune for a long time, but it's rapidly accelerating now.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Hate this. Hate that players do this. It sucks. It really hurts the bowl season.

But, Cam got roasted pretty hard for costing us a chance in the Tennessee game 2 years ago. A lot of the loyalty probably went out the window back then. Still, you’d like to see guys finish strong for their teammates.

But good luck to him. This is the norm now. It sucks, but it’s going to happen. Just a matter of time before someone sits out the playoff, especially a 12-team playoff, to prevent injury and start training for the combine.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
There is an interesting dichotomy when it comes to bowls.

On the one hand, bowl eligibility is touted by fans as a big accomplishment. Something to be proud of.

On the other hand, it's not important enough for the players to bother playing in it.

Most of the players will play and they'll have a great time. It's just a handful of guys that are ready to move onto bigger things. Which is why people go to college - to prepare them for future employment.

Quick timing question: would Smith even be a Carolina student at the time of the bowl game? If he's not going to do Spring semester then his last day would be Dec. 12th. He wouldn't even be eligible to play would he?

Jul 25, 2022

Yes how disloyal of them to risk injury to play in a meaningless bowl. How selfish of them to want to get started on their career path. I’m with you. 🙄

Jul 25, 2022
Hate this. Hate that players do this. It sucks. It really hurts the bowl season.

But, Cam got roasted pretty hard for costing us a chance in the Tennessee game 2 years ago. A lot of the loyalty probably went out the window back then. Still, you’d like to see guys finish strong for their teammates.

But good luck to him. This is the norm now. It sucks, but it’s going to happen. Just a matter of time before someone sits out the playoff, especially a 12-team playoff, to prevent injury and start training for the combine.
And if they did that’s their decision. I will never fault a person for getting a head start on their career.

CriminalTrakerAlum80

Joined Oct 17, 2020
Feb 5, 2022
Is this any different than anyone here giving a two-weeks notice and taking another job in another city that pays better? Are you somehow less loyal because you chose to put your future career first and increase your pay? The risks of a minor bowl game appearance outweigh the benefits of losing your position as a first-round pick due to a freak or life-altering injury. I wish him the best and thank him for choosing South Carolina when he could have gone elsewhere.

Reactions: Viennacock

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
Is this any different than anyone here giving a two-weeks notice and taking another job in another city that pays better? Are you somehow less loyal because you chose to put your future career first and increase your pay? The risks of a minor bowl game appearance outweigh the benefits of losing your position as a first-round pick due to a freak or life-altering injury. I wish him the best and thank him for choosing South Carolina when he could have gone elsewhere.
I posted the same thing in another thread about leaving an employer. When you leave, you normally leave your coworkers (teammates), friends in a bind. I would say 95%+ of us over 40 have left a job for greener pastures. No different than what these boys are doing. The hypocrisy of some of these posters.

Austin_Cock

Joined Sep 4, 2009
Jan 17, 2022

I think you have to recognize the significance of the decision. If he plays in the bowl game and suffers an injury that ends his football career, he could lose several millions in lifetime earnings. That kind of money is LIFE-CHANGING.

I understand the likelihood of injury may be low, but the amount of money would make most people act very conservatively.

Cam Smith has a family. I don't know if he's married or has kids, but he has/had parents and other relatives. That kind of money is so significant that I would never criticize a player who makes a decision for his family before the team. And definitely before the fans.

Reactions: Viennacock

Latest posts