Seeing Reports That...

Jul 25, 2022
Meaningless. Will you even bother watching since it's meaningless?
Doubtful usually don’t with all the players sitting out (I don’t blame them) and half teams and all. But again I don’t blame them. I would assume do away with everything not CFP. Especially after the expansion.

Jul 25, 2022
I think you have to recognize the significance of the decision. If he plays in the bowl game and suffers an injury that ends his football career, he could lose several millions in lifetime earnings. That kind of money is LIFE-CHANGING.

I understand the likelihood of injury may be low, but the amount of money would make most people act very conservatively.

Cam Smith has a family. I don't know if he's married or has kids, but he has/had parents and other relatives. That kind of money is so significant that I would never criticize a player who makes a decision for his family before the team. And definitely before the fans.
Playing in the bowl game has zero upside for him. It won’t improve his stock, not off one game. Go prepare for the combine where you can showcase your talents

Reactions: Viennacock

jkc4USC

Joined Sep 24, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 23, 2022
Would love to have had Cam for the bowl game, but he’s paid his dues through his blood, sweat, and tears. He could have gone pretty much anywhere via transfer portal when we pooped the bed under Muschump. However, he stuck it out and hopefully helped lay the foundation for better days ahead. Now he has to think about his future. Good luck to him. He’ll always be a Gamecock.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
Would love to have had Cam for the bowl game, but he’s paid his dues through his blood, sweat, and tears. He could have gone pretty much anywhere via transfer portal when we pooped the bed under Muschump. However, he stuck it out and hopefully laid the foundation for better days ahead. Now he has to think about his future. Good luck to him. He’ll always be a Gamecock.
Well said!

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
Doubtful usually don’t with all the players sitting out (I don’t blame them) and half teams and all. But again I don’t blame them. I would assume do away with everything not CFP. Especially after the expansion.
Doing away with bowls?! My gosh.......let me guess your age............26!

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I think you have to recognize the significance of the decision. If he plays in the bowl game and suffers an injury that ends his football career, he could lose several millions in lifetime earnings. That kind of money is LIFE-CHANGING.

I understand the likelihood of injury may be low, but the amount of money would make most people act very conservatively.

Cam Smith has a family. I don't know if he's married or has kids, but he has/had parents and other relatives. That kind of money is so significant that I would never criticize a player who makes a decision for his family before the team. And definitely before the fans.
How many players can you name who suffered career-ending injury in their final collegiate bowl game?

That’s a straw man argument. To hear some people talk you’d think dozens of college players are carried of the field in body bags every season.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Senior Rooster

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
How many players can you name who suffered career-ending injury in their final collegiate bowl game?
One is enough. Cam is going to be enjoying his millions while old farts like you and Rod remain bitter because an18-20 year old made a decision in which you don't approve.

Reactions: 81 Alumnus

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
I'm thinking about signing with an agent.
Just can't decide which one.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
One is enough. Cam is going to be enjoying his millions while old farts like you and Rod remain bitter because an18-20 year old made a decision in which you don't approve.
It’s not surprising to anyone that an imposter such as yourself is rooting for our best players to miss the bowl game.

Still ain’t changed your diaper after the Clemson game, huh?

• Haha

calicock21

May 2, 2022
If Cam stays healthy, hears his name called on day 1, and then balls out for a decade in the NFL, that would be just as good for USC long term as a win in a mid-tier bowl game. Just because he's done playing in garnet and black doesn't mean he's done repping our school and program.

Edit: Also just read his tweet and it's clear this kid is proud af to be a gamecock

Last edited:

GcockNan13

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 17, 2022
Don’t blame him at all. He busted his *** for the team for years. Go make your $$ dude. Don’t mind the people who will never have an opportunity to make millions so they will never know the risk of losing it.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
If Cam stays healthy, hears his name called on day 1, and then balls out for a decade in the NFL, that would be just as good for USC long term as a win in a mid-tier bowl game. Just because he's done playing in garnet and black doesn't mean he's done repping our school and program.
Depends on if he plays like he’s afraid of breaking a nail.

GcockNan13

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 17, 2022
A win in the bowl would potentially boost us to a top 15 team. That would be a phenomenal accomplishment for Year 2 and be a major boost for recruiting.

But keep telling yourself it doesn’t matter.
You’re only thinking about what’ll make you happy in a few years if we get good recruiting classes and you have good teams to root for. Cam is thinking about what’ll make him happy if he can stay healthy and make as much money in a short amount of time as he can. Cam earned his scholly. Now it’s time for him to earn his $$. Why should he risk injury in a meaningless game to him so that we recruit good players he’ll never play with?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
You’re only thinking about what’ll make you happy in a few years if we get good recruiting classes and you have good teams to root for. Cam is thinking about what’ll make him happy if he can stay healthy and make as much money in a short amount of time as he can. Cam earned his scholly. Now it’s time for him to earn his $$. Why should he risk injury in a meaningless game to him so that we recruit good players he’ll never play with?
The game is not meaningless to our program. It’s quite meaningful at this stage. If it’s meaningless to Cam then the program is meaningless to him and he’s meaningless to me.

GcockNan13

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 17, 2022
The game is not meaningless to our program. It’s quite meaningful at this stage. If it’s meaningless to Cam then the program is meaningless to him and he’s meaningless to me.
I hope he can forgive himself knowing he sacrificed you never talking to him again while he buys his mom a house.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
I hope he can forgive himself knowing he sacrificed you never talking to him again while he buys his mom a house.
[/QUOTE]
Cam is living rent free in his head.

• Love
Reactions: 81 Alumnus

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Are you suggesting turning down the bowl invitation because it is a meaningless game. Glad the team doesn't have that attitude and are pushing for a big finish to propel momentum to an even bigger finish for the team next year.

• Love

GcockNan13

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 17, 2022
Are you suggesting turning down the bowl invitation because it is a meaningless game. Glad the team doesn't have that attitude and are pushing for a big finish to propel momentum to an even bigger finish for the team next year.
What?

athenscock3

Feb 7, 2022
Here we go again. Another pissing contest where everyone’s mind is made up and no one changes their opinion. Mine. The player and his family are the ones to make the decision. We did not contribute anything to this young man’s upbringing.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
The bowl games, especially ones earned by 8-win SEC teams, were never considered "meaningless" until guys like Cam started declaring them to be meaningless 5 or 6 years ago. We can argue until the cows come home about who owes who what or who is a hypocrite and who is selfish and who's not, but the simple fact is this line of decision-making diminishes college football and will continue to diminish it further as the rationale is extended to late regular season games for countless teams with no shot of making the playoff.

"Meaningless" is a subjective term. On its face, every college football game is meaningless. China isn't waiting for the results of a college football game to decide Taiwan's fate and Putin's war in Ukraine isn't going to turn on a football game. In the big scheme of things, there isn't much difference between a bowl game against Notre Dame or Iowa and a regular season game against Clemson or Florida and it's only a matter of time before players start to make that same determination.

• Love
Reactions: Dod Rangerfield

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Here we go again. Another pissing contest where everyone’s mind is made up and no one changes their opinion. Mine. The player and his family are the ones to make the decision. We did not contribute anything to this young man’s upbringing.
Yes, he could be better rounded at that.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lurker123

Section2Cock

Joined Feb 7, 1999
Jan 18, 2022
If that's so..........................................................................................................SELFISH.
Lot's of players have sat out bowls including star gamecock players. Nothing like getting injured in that last game to screw up you draft. It's a multi million dollar decision and a responsibility to his family, not his school.

• Angry
Reactions: Dod Rangerfield

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
Lot's of players have sat out bowls including star gamecock players. Nothing like getting injured in that last game to screw up you draft. It's a multi million dollar decision and a responsibility to his family, not his school.
Rod is stuck in the 70's.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
Back in the day Notre Dame turned down bowl bids where the game didn’t involve the MNC.

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
^^^^me before we^^^^

Reactions: KingWard

Cock-n-Lateral

Oct 1, 2022
Humorously, the agency he signed with is named "Loyalty above All"

Whatever. These players don't give a shite about the fans, so I wash my hands of them once they show themselves to be disloyal.

Adios, amigo. I'll never see you play again.
I get what you're saying, but in reality, once that 12th game is done, unless it's the playoffs or maybe a new years six bowl, I can't blame these players if they know they're a possible first round (maybe even 2nd) pick. Get hurt, and regardless of the injury, there's a ? mark on their future performance which can cost them and their families millions!

On the flip side, it's a great opportunity for some of the guys that will be on the team next year to get that experience. Might as well go ahead and move forward.

That said, I'm like you.. I want them to play to give us best chance to win, just trying to look at it objectively.