Serious question: If Rattler has made his mind up to declare for the draft...

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Let him sit if he's leaving. Give the other QB's some playing time towards next year.

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
Most of their coaches supported their decisions to sit.
In public comments. Not behind closed doors. Those coaches are paid to win, & those quitters thinking of self over team made their chances of winning much more difficult.

gamecox4982

Jan 21, 2022
Funny how you frame your response. (wrong) / The key word is *if* - If Rattler believes he will be drafted and get paid he has the exact same concern as Cam > injury. In other words, in Rattlers mind (assuming he's going to enter the draft) He sees himself as valuable. Just as Cam does.

So your argument falls apart right there. Bottom line: You're a double standards guy. Doesn't work with me. > Nope.

Did Deebo quit on the gamecocks? Yep. Did he quit on the 49er's? Yes or no? Yes. Hence: Why I wouldn't take those players in the first place.
If Cam was worried about getting hurt why did he play in the Clemson game? He had nothing to prove in that game.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Dumb post. There have been plenty that were going to be high draft picks that were either injured in a bowl or have come back for their senior season and injured. One that comes to mind are Anthony Poindexter, the RB out of Stanford, D'Eriq King. Jayson Smith for the Irish (major injury in a bowl).
The question is how many Gamecock players had this happen. I stand by my answer. Call it dumb all you want…but it’s true.

Now if the question is can it happen….sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingWard

Silverspur02

Joined Jan 26, 2006 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
Does he sit the bowl game out?????

If the answer is : OF COURSE NOT.....

Then that same answer should apply to all players at all positions. Can't stand double standards. JMHO. What say ye? <cough Deebo>
YOU DO NOT QUIT ON YOUR TEAMATES for your own sake. Period. Ever. If I'm an NFL GM, that right there tells me everything I need to know about a player. Argue all you want, I'm not taking a guy that quit on his team to protect his own interests. No "I" in "team"

Deebo's NFL team didn't seem to have a problem with it then, and I am sure they like him being healthy now with no injury from that meaningless game. The coaches and the other players didn't show up for that game either..

Reactions: Viennacock

BetaLiberalCock1

Oct 22, 2022
Sorry. Not wrong here and there is not a double standard. I believe Rattler has a ton to gain by showing out in a bowl game and the chance of injury is relatively small. If he believes he has nothing to gain and he's going to be a high draft pick, I am good with him sitting. If he sits down with people that are looking out for his best interest, he will likely play.

Cam's situation is pretty black and white. I'm pretty sure Beamer would be ok with him sitting.

I coach baseball. I always tell my players to do what's in their best interests. My policy of looking out for their best interests has gone a long way. They listen when I advise them what I believe is in their best interest.

Each situation is different depending on position, draft position etc. Sorry if you're not bright enough to understand this. Not very complicated. Anyone that isn't wearing garnet glasses and that is educated in risk / reward would tell Rattler to play and Cam to sit.
Oh you're very wrong. Using your own words "and the chance of injury is relatively small."

Do you think "injury" knows the difference between Rattlers name and Cams name? / Game over. #Checkmate.

You DO NOT QUIT ON YOUR TEAM. --- I would say the difference in our thinking couldn't be anymore black or white, but I'm 99% sure the colors are blue / red.

I stopped reading after the 1st sentence btw. Double standards won't fly with me. "Injury" doesn't know the difference in players names, I promise. What applies for one, applies for all. Just stop. Talk to the hand. You're wrong.

Reactions: Senior Rooster

BetaLiberalCock1

Oct 22, 2022
Deebo's NFL team didn't seem to have a problem with it then, and I am sure they like him being healthy now with no injury from that meaningless game. The coaches and the other players didn't show up for that game either..
I'm talking about him throwing a tantrum and legit wanting out of SF. He wanted to quit and move on. $$$$$$ talked. He stayed.

Drama queen temper tantrums should not be rewarded. Yet when he quit on the Gamecocks, 1/2 the fan base wanted to build a statue of him. <smh> Encouraging the attitude of quitting. Type a million word response and it'll still be wrong.

Reactions: Dod Rangerfield

BetaLiberalCock1

Oct 22, 2022
If Cam was worried about getting hurt why did he play in the Clemson game? He had nothing to prove in that game.
Hey. Shhhh. Logic and common sense will not be tolerated. (at least by 1/2 our fan base anyway)

As if "injury" knows or cares if the player is named Cam or Rattler. No way in the universe do I pick a quitter for my team. 0% chance.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
So we can’t name one Gamecock whose NFL career was derailed from a bowl game injury, we then use a player from Notre Dame (from his 2016 bowl game) as the example of why most players should abandon their teams at bowl time. We forgot to mention said example (Jaylon Smith) had a $5 million dollar insurance policy for if he was injured and his draft status slipped. He collected. We also leave out that he is an NFL linebacker as we type. So was it derailed, or set back ever so slightly?

I totally agree with the one poster (whose user name starts with a V and who insinuated I was an idiot) that it is the player and his family’s business. I totally agree and I don’t begrudge them for their decision either way. As a fan it disappoints me cause I want to win and like to see them play one last time. I also can state my opinion that I feel if my team is playing, I want to be on the field with them if I can. I guess I’m old-school we before me. I taught my kids differently…but we didn’t have big money at stake either.

So in summation, I think we can all agree, that the problem (number) of players getting career ending injuries in their final bowl game is negligible. Can it happen, sure. It can also happen that plane flight I have next week can go down. Not likely but it could happen. It’s my choice if I wanna get on that plane or not.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
I don't know if
So we can’t name one Gamecock whose NFL career was derailed from a bowl game injury, we then use a player from Notre Dame (from his 2016 bowl game) as the example of why most players should abandon their teams at bowl time. We forgot to mention said example (Jaylon Smith) had a $5 million dollar insurance policy for if he was injured and his draft status slipped. He collected. We also leave out that he is an NFL linebacker as we type. So was it derailed, or set back ever so slightly?

I totally agree with the one poster (whose user name starts with a V and who insinuated I was an idiot) that it is the player and his family’s business. I totally agree and I don’t begrudge them for their decision either way. As a fan it disappoints me cause I want to win and like to see them play one last time. I also can state my opinion that I feel if my team is playing, I want to be on the field with them if I can. I guess I’m old-school we before me. I taught my kids differently…but we didn’t have big money at stake either.

So in summation, I think we can all agree, that the problem (number) of players getting career ending injuries in their final bowl game is negligible. Can it happen, sure. It can also happen that plane flight I have next week can go down. Not likely but it could happen. It’s my choice if I wanna get on that plane or not.
You, Rod and a couple others agree. Is that everyone agreeing? In your mind yes.

Why don't you call into Beamer's show and ask him for his opinion. I'm fairly confident he would have no issue if Cam decides to sit.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
I don't know if
You, Rod and a couple others agree. Is that everyone agreeing? In your mind yes.

Why don't you call into Beamer's show and ask him for his opinion. I'm fairly confident he would have no issue if Cam decides to sit.
Do you actually read post, or do you just argue with other people and lump everyone into the same argument?

I have not mentioned anyone in particular and whether or not they skip the bowl game. I wasn’t even thinking about Cam. Hell, don’t play and we get to give someone else experience for next year.

I am talking in generalities about the question of how many peoples careers have been ended in their final bowl game. Just begs the question of whether or not someone should skip the final bowl game. As I said I agree with you that it’s not my decision it’s theirs. And I don’t give a damn other than as a fan I would like to see them play one more time. Do you think I think I give a damn when I hear a Michigan player is sitting out a bowl game. The answer is no. I am talking about not caring either way other than as a fan.

But let’s also not confuse there is justification for people who think it’s considered quitting on your team. Like I said I could have an opinion as to whether I would do it, or suggest one of my kids do it. Personally I don’t give a damn if your kid does it.

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
I don't know if

You're quite obtuse. You know full well Beamer would give a 100% coach speak/PC answer to that. But I also know his job is to win games, & he would definitely prefer his whole roster plays the bowl game.

Reactions: Tngamecock

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
There are only three bowl games that count - the rest are all exhibitions wherein everyone but the players make money. That’s the host cities, the coaches, the TV networks, the sponsors, etc.

These bowls (or teams) want all the kids to play? Then pay them. These bowls are just a meaningless money grab anyway - let the players wet their beaks a little.

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
There are only three bowl games that count - the rest are all exhibitions wherein everyone but the players make money. That’s the host cities, the coaches, the TV networks, the sponsors, etc.

These bowls (or teams) want all the kids to play? Then pay them. These bowls are just a meaningless money grab anyway - let the players wet their beaks a little.
Student-athletes.

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
I would like us to win our bowl game. Some on here discount it as an exhibition game but it still counts in the minds of the public and recruits and fans. Play the game and have fun. Beat TBD.

• Love

Dod Rangerfield

Jan 30, 2022
I would like us to win our bowl game. Some on here discount it as an exhibition game but it still counts in the minds of the public and recruits and fans. Play the game and have fun. Beat TBD.
I'm with you. The win is much more important than publicity vs. an opponent in my eyes.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I don't know if

He wouldn't say otherwise if he did. The coach can't appear to be selfish. It's the kiss of death.

BetaLiberalCock1

Oct 22, 2022
And entering the portal?
Fair question. Deflection, but fair. The answer is along the same lines. If you make a *COMMITTMENT* to a team, you honor that.

So, bottom line: Same answer. You do not quit on your teammates, and I'd argue that entering the Transfer Portal is an even bigger red flag (character flaw) than simply protecting yourself for 1 game. Either way it boils down to > No character. Can't be trusted, and I don't want players like that on my team.

For all the haters I want to make this perfectly clear : > I *UNDERSTAND* the how's and the why's and I am placing the blame here on the NCAA for the most part because even though at the end of the day it is the players choice, responsibility, and character, etc, etc.... It is *NOT* going to change. So.... IMHO, the NCAA needs to figure out and come up with a way to "blanket protect" the player/s so they do not feel like if they play in a game they are rolling the dice with their future. I totally understand it. My point is, at this point, it has gotten so out of hand that it's not going to change so IMHO, a player/s should never have to "feel" torn about sitting and the stigma that some fans <cough me> will place on them as being a "quitter."

How would that blanket protection work? No idea. Not my job. I just post here. IMHO, the way it's set up now, the player/s are literally forced into a no win situation. If they sit and quit, they're labeled quitters. If they play and get injured, they're (potentially) screwed for life.

*THAT* scenario should never apply to any athlete. Believe it or not, I too want what is best for the player/s. NCAA needs to find a solution.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
How would that blanket protection work? No idea. Not my job. I just post here. IMHO, the way it's set up now, the player/s are literally forced into a no win situation. If they sit and quit, they're labeled quitters. If they play and get injured, they're (potentially) screwed for life.

*THAT* scenario should never apply to any athlete. Believe it or not, I too want what is best for the player/s. NCAA needs to find a solution.
Schools can actually pay for insurance coverage for guys that are potential draft picks. The policies pay out if there is an injury that affects the draft position of the players.

Reactions: BetaLiberalCock1

BetaLiberalCock1

Oct 22, 2022
Schools can actually pay for insurance coverage for guys that are potential draft picks. The policies pay out if there is an injury that affects the draft position of the players.
I always thought and knew this was a thing since the 80's (when I became aware) - but obviously it must not be good enough for some reason. It must not be = to the potential payoff the draft offers. If it actually does = the same $$$, then that is just proof positive the kids who sit and quit are just quitters with no character which leads me right back to my point. I don't want em' on my team. Pee-Wee or NFL or anything in between.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
I always thought and knew this was a thing since the 80's (when I became aware) - but obviously it must not be good enough for some reason. It must not be = to the potential payoff the draft offers. If it actually does = the same $$$, then that is just proof positive the kids who sit and quit are just quitters with no character which leads me right back to my point. I don't want em' on my team. Pee-Wee or NFL or anything in between.

It pays out, but actually playing in the NFL will pay out a lot more than any policy. The insurance will just ease the blow a little.

But I’ve said it before - when a kid is about to go pro, everything he does from that point on is a business decision. The agents they choose, the pre-draft workouts they participate in, their own behavior in every day life. This also includes deciding to play in an exhibition game. For some, the extra game film and practice will help them, for others the bowl games are 100% risk (forget injuries, if they play poorly that could affect their status as well). I would never ask a projected first rounder to play in an exhibition game - there is no upside for them.

“Ra ra” and “for the team” is all well and good, but none of those teammates are going to put food on the first-rounders plate. The kids are getting their first taste of real life now that college is over for them. At this point guys need to protect their current draft projection and try to improve it.

SSIGamecock

Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 3, 2022
Does he sit the bowl game out?????

If the answer is : OF COURSE NOT.....

Then that same answer should apply to all players at all positions. Can't stand double standards. JMHO. What say ye? <cough Deebo>
YOU DO NOT QUIT ON YOUR TEAMATES for your own sake. Period. Ever. If I'm an NFL GM, that right there tells me everything I need to know about a player. Argue all you want, I'm not taking a guy that quit on his team to protect his own interests. No "I" in "team"
Lol - let me guess... You would potentially hurt yourself over 1 game that has a really low significance in the grand scheme of things and risk Millions of dollars... If you're that naïve to think that these guys aren't team players because they are preparing for and protecting their bodies for generational money, then you have the complete wrong idea.

Which NFL team do you own or are a GM for? AHHHH you're not lol.

Reactions: Viennacock

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
Rattler & Stogner left Sooners before their bowl game. Guess you don't want them on our team.
They also entered the portal and didn't fulfill their commitment to Oklahoma. Same goes for Wells. I guarantee these jokers are pulling for them and don't have a problem with them transferring into Carolina.

BetaLiberalCock1

Oct 22, 2022
Lol - let me guess... You would potentially hurt yourself over 1 game that has a really low significance in the grand scheme of things and risk Millions of dollars... If you're that naïve to think that these guys aren't team players because they are preparing for and protecting their bodies for generational money, then you have the complete wrong idea.

Which NFL team do you own or are a GM for? AHHHH you're not lol.

First, I'd teach my kids to read. FULL STOP. Start over and re-read my post/s.
You're wrong. Period.
Second, I'd teach my kids what character and commitment really mean. I don't need to guess, I know > You're 1/2 the fanbase that is the problem. Encouraging quitting. <smh> Just brilliant. Great life lesson. <smh>

BetaLiberalCock1

Oct 22, 2022
They also entered the portal and didn't fulfill their commitment to Oklahoma. Same goes for Wells. I guarantee these jokers are pulling for them and don't have a problem with them transferring into Carolina.
There you go again, trying desperately to mish-mash things together. Yes, I am glad (ish) they are @ Carolina. It's how they got here that I have problem with. They should have honored their original commitments and stuck it out with whichever team they originally committed to.

This is not complicated and your mish-mashing of two separate issues won't fly with me.

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
First, I'd teach my kids to read. FULL STOP. Start over and re-read my post/s.
You're wrong. Period.
Second, I'd teach my kids what character and commitment really mean. I don't need to guess, I know > You're 1/2 the fanbase that is the problem. Encouraging quitting. <smh> Just brilliant. Great life lesson. <smh>
You have never left a job mid year to look out for your best interest?

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
In public comments. Not behind closed doors. Those coaches are paid to win, & those quitters thinking of self over team made their chances of winning much more difficult.
Yeah, the coaches have to hate this. That being said…coaches need to get the type of players that go to the NFL. So they’re gonna do and say what they have to do. This hurts the team. No coach is in favor of what hurts the team.

However, I think the coaches understand why they do it. And they don’t get as offended as the fans do.

THEusccocks

Joined Aug 19, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
When did his dad say he is staying?
He didn’t. His dad said the Tweet that Rattler was hitting the portal and going to Nebraska was fake, which it clearly was. Saying that tweet was fake in no way indicates what Rattler’s intentions are regarding staying at SC versus declaring for the draft.

Reactions: Whatever1

Viennacock

Jan 21, 2022
Yeah, the coaches have to hate this. That being said…coaches need to get the type of players that go to the NFL. So they’re gonna do and say what they have to do. This hurts the team. No coach is in favor of what hurts the team.

However, I think the coaches understand why they do it. And they don’t get as offended as the fans do.
Bingo!

Latest posts