Shake down with Dixon boys yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
actually, the only thing I've ever been qualified for was condom distribution...Its really taxing keeping count and lugging the quarters around

williecunningham

Mar 3, 2008
Coach34 said:
patdog said:
13 years of coaching would be probably about 250-300 games. I don't think any team can go that long without giving up 2 HRs to one player in a game at least once.
</p>
Edited to add that if you really did go that long without ever giving up 2 HRs to the same player, you'd have been a lot better off to give up the occasional multiple HR game and not have give up all those walks and HBPs every time somebody hits a HR.
the last two years i coached, in 72 games, we only gave up 17 HR's

And yet, you aren't boasting. </p>

MadDawg.sixpack

May 22, 2006
not for a minute. I don't doubt you coached the pitchers to pitch around, or intentionally walk a hr hitting batter. What I don't believe is that in all your years of coaching, you never had a pitcher that didn't have complete control of his pitches and didn't accidently float one over that ripped a second time.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
The stupidity of baseball's "unwritten rules" never ceases to amaze me. How can you defend intentionally throwing a fastball at someone?

In any other sport this is unacceptable. Players celebrate after touchdowns and dunks all the time. So should the other team be expected to deliver a late hit in football or undercut the player when he went up for a lay-up/dunk? The answer is "Of course not." Yet it is not only expected but encouraged in baseball.

Stupid.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
[b said:
Coach34[/b]]the way we taught pitching, we never gave up many HR's period. Much less two to one player

</p>Isn't it the point of the game to teach pitching where you don't give up to many homers? Doesn't mean it always worked out that way. For some reason I doubt you were the first person to come up with that style of pitching

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
VegasDawg13 said:
The stupidity of baseball's "unwritten rules" never ceases to amaze me. How can you defend intentionally throwing a fastball at someone?

In any other sport this is unacceptable. Players celebrate after touchdowns and dunks all the time. So should the other team be expected to deliver a late hit in football or undercut the player when he went up for a lay-up/dunk? The answer is "Of course not." Yet it is not only expected but encouraged in baseball.

Stupid.

</p>well just like we were taught even in little league that if the other team attempted a suicide squeeze (runner on 3rd less than 2 outs and a bunt for those that might not know what i am talking about) to throw at the batters head.....hell i beaned several kids while attempting to lay down the bunt....dead ball, run doesnt score....the next batter is scared as **** ....is it bush league? maybe
ive also been on the receiving end of one the bean balls (but not the head).....doesnt feel good but hey "that's baseball"

DovaDawg

Aug 28, 2007
I know some good MSU folks in the Brandon PD that would ensure that CC knew of the incident, but no arrest would be made for a petty incident. Meanwhile the SPD would have booked them.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
Thats actually a point of pride for me because I never allowed that as a pitcher. I'm not trying to say I re-invented pitching or was the best pitching coach of all time. I taught my guys to work hard on throwing a 2 seam fb (which makes the ball sink). Also, my philosophy was work away, away, then bust in. HS kids arent the best at driving the ball oppo. And after working away alot, it becomes easier to get in on the hands.
We also scouted well in most cases. That helps tremendously against the heart of the order.

Now, i'm not saying we didnt have people that hit multiple HR's against us over the course of a season. But never in one game

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
Coach34 said:
patdog said:
13 years of coaching would be probably about 250-300 games. I don't think any team can go that long without giving up 2 HRs to one player in a game at least once.
</p>
Edited to add that if you really did go that long without ever giving up 2 HRs to the same player, you'd have been a lot better off to give up the occasional multiple HR game and not have give up all those walks and HBPs every time somebody hits a HR.
<span style="font-weight: bold;">the last two years i coached, in 72 games, we only gave up 17 HR's</span>

What's hilarious about this is that you either are so hung up on your glorious coaching days that this random *** stat is hard wired into your mind, you keep a stat book close by your computer for times like these, or you are full of ****. Regardless, I am laughing my *** off at you.
</p>

klipdawg

Mar 3, 2008
I purposely hit numerous several batter through babe ruth and high school ball. I attempted to hit more than that (some guys are too good at dodging). It is part of the game. I've never seen anyone seriously hurt by a pitch. I've seen much more damage done with cheap blocks in foot ball and hard fouls in basketball. I coach youth ball now and will occasionally throw one toward them so that they know what to do when it happens in a game. It's baseball.</p>

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
"<span style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">the last two years i coached, in 72 games, we only gave up 17 HR's"
</span>
when you have teams that achieve highly, some of those things tend to stick out. Kind of like in 2004 when we only allowed 5 or more runs in a game 7 times in 38 games.

As a coach, you have to keep track of alot of stats for newspapers, school records, banquets, and recruiters. So you talk alot about these things. They are hardly "random *** stats".
You would be surprised how many parents out there want to check their totals against our "random *** stats" that we kept during the season as well. Baseball parents are one of a kind.

"I am laughing my *** off at you"

no more than I am at you, I assure you. We cant all manage Taco Bell like you do.

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
...the bathroom machine is out of the glow in the dark pink ones again. Will you get your *** down here, or do I need to call your boss? I'll throw a Gordita your way if you can make it by 3.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
klipdawg said:
I purposely hit numerous several batter through babe ruth and high school ball. I attempted to hit more than that (some guys are too good at dodging). It is part of the game. I've never seen anyone seriously hurt by a pitch. I've seen much more damage done with cheap blocks in foot ball and hard fouls in basketball. I coach youth ball now and will occasionally throw one toward them so that they know what to do when it happens in a game. It's baseball.</p>

But cheap blocks aren't accepted by the general public. Hard fouls that can hurt someone aren't universally accepted either (some people advocate them and I disagree with them also). You defend baseball people encouraging throwing at batters by saying that it's part of the game. That's using circular logic. The only reason it's accepted is because it's part of the game, but the only reason it's part of the game is because it's always been accepted and encouraged.

Just because you've never seen someone get hurt personally doesn't make it right. I guarantee you injuries have come from it whether you've seen it or not.</p>

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
klipdawg said:

But cheap blocks aren't accepted by the general public. Hard fouls that can hurt someone aren't universally accepted either (some people advocate them and I disagree with them also). You defend baseball people encouraging throwing at batters by saying that it's part of the game. That's using circular logic. The only reason it's accepted is because it's part of the game, but the only reason it's part of the game is because it's always been accepted and encouraged.

Just because you've never seen someone get hurt personally doesn't make it right. I guarantee you injuries have come from it whether you've seen it or not.</p>

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
klipdawg said:

Status
Not open for further replies.