Smoking a deer hind quarter

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
It’s been several years (about 15, probably) since I smoked a deer hindquarter.
The best I remember, I cut 10 or so slits in meat and stuffed bacon wrapped garlic cloves down in slits, then applied dry rub, then covered top with bacon. Brined in Allegro overnight, then smoked at 150 for 6-8 hrs.
Anyone have any other recipes or recommendations?

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
If you're set on cooking the whole quarter, I'd go a little higher in the temperature, say up near 200°. At 150° your effectively cold smoking which will dry it out. Cold smoking a hind quarter could leave you with the nipples on the girl who ran the tanning salon in the Cotton District... Tough as hell and dried out to a deep brown hue.

That said a hind quarter is several cuts of meat that need to be treated differently to maximize it's flavors and tenderness. I'm sure the bearded butcher guys on YouTube have a video.

gaf-HindQuarters-Lead-1200x800.jpg

I know the bottom round and shank cuts are tough as hell and they're used for jerky a lot of the time. If you do smoke the whole thing, steer clear of those 2 cuts for your portions and make sure whoever whines about deer being "gamey" gets em.'

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If you're set on cooking the whole quarter, I'd go a little higher in the temperature, say up near 200°. At 150° your effectively cold smoking which will dry it out. Cold smoking a hind quarter could leave you with the nipples on the girl who ran the tanning salon in the Cotton District... Tough as hell and dried out to a deep brown hue.

That said a hind quarter is several cuts of meat that need to be treated differently to maximize it's flavors and tenderness. I'm sure the bearded butcher guys on YouTube have a video.

View attachment 344613

I know the bottom round and shank cuts are tough as hell and they're used for jerky a lot of the time. If you do smoke the whole thing, steer clear of those 2 cuts for your portions and make sure whoever whines about deer being "gamey" gets em.'
I don’t know what “gamey” means. Is it the flavor I like that I associate with deer meat? Just never understood what it means.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Haven’t done one in a really long time but when we used to cook quarters back in the day we injected the quarters with various concoctions of oil, butter, and spices a couple of times to keep it from drying out. We are more health aware now so I might use olive oil and spices. Have not done this so it’s just a thought to consider.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I’ve never been successful at it. I have some ribs smoking now that I know will be awesome, but smoked deer always seems to be tough and dry. The most tender I’ve had was smoked with an offset smoker, indirect heat and in a deep pan full of liquid of your choice with onions and celery.

I had an old guy tell me one time if you want it to be falling apart you have to beat the hell out of it, brine 24 hours, beat the hell out of it again, brine some more and cook it in the ground overnight.

Reactions: trob115

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
I haven't done one in a few years but I cut a few slits and stuffed in garlic cloves. Rub it with your favorite rub and add a good bit of extra garlic powder. Cover it with bacon and put it on the offset smoker at 225*. Put a large pan under it with a couple of beers to steam. Be sure the pan doesn't go dry.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’ve never been successful at it. I have some ribs smoking now that I know will be awesome, but smoked deer always seems to be tough and dry. The most tender I’ve had was smoked with an offset smoker, indirect heat and in a deep pan full of liquid of your choice with onions and celery.

I had an old guy tell me one time if you want it to be falling apart you have to beat the hell out of it, brine 24 hours, beat the hell out of it again, brine some more and cook it in the ground overnight.
I’ve honestly never tried smoking one because I’ve always figured it would come out dry. I’ve always figured there was not enough fat in deer meat and if cooked too long it would just become dry.

Reactions: aTotal360

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
11E8C078-80D3-4332-8FB6-458F2D0D87B8.jpeg
start
DB6A2E8F-26EC-4F55-8177-274F3D781F16.jpeg
6 hrs later
3B8C154A-E48B-40FB-8D59-CBC623107277.jpeg
pulled ok
88B82F99-CFC3-4A59-B3ED-1BB405E0D632.jpeg
smoke ring

It did ok. Was moist while pulling. Dried out some by the time we ate. Mostly tender. Was 142 inside when I pulled it off. Was good enough to try it again.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I’ve honestly never tried smoking one because I’ve always figured it would come out dry. I’ve always figured there was not enough fat in deer meat and if cooked too long it would just become dry.
You're right.

I found there is only one way to do a whole deer quarter. In a hotel pan with a bottle of redwine, some beef stock, a stick of butter, a whole head of garlic, thyme, and a small sprig of rosemary. Foil over the top and cook it for 3-4 hrs on 325F (smoker or oven). With about an hour left, add potatoes, onions, carrots and salt and pepper to taste.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
You're right.

I found there is only one way to do a whole deer quarter. In a hotel pan with a bottle of redwine, some beef stock, a stick of butter, a whole head of garlic, thyme, and a small sprig of rosemary. Foil over the top and cook it for 3-4 hrs on 325F (smoker or oven). With about an hour left, add potatoes, onions, carrots and salt and pepper to taste.

No doubt it will be more tender and juicy this way. In an oven, I've used a big browning bag and swapped the red wine for beer and added some bacon to the top. The bacon, garlic and beer makes the house smell like a pizzeria while it's cooking.

houstonutsack

Sep 23, 2012

View attachment 344613

How do you keep it lit?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
How do you keep it lit?
Call me a traditionalist, but at my parties playing some old school Snoop Dogg gets it done.

Happy Soul Train GIF by Bounce