So Florida has won in baseball …

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
9 SEC regular season titles since 1992 and 16th Overall title.
I don’t want to look it up but we are woefully behind them, LSU, Vandy, and Arkansas and probably S Carolina.
So is middle of the pack in the SEC really a blue blood as most on here want to believe that we are ?
Now we have managed to get to Omaha every decade since the 70’s and sometimes multiple times in a decade but blue bloods win multiple Championships (Conf and WS) and we haven’t done that.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don’t want to look it up but we are woefully behind them, LSU, Vandy, and Arkansas and probably S Carolina.
So is middle of the pack in the SEC really a blue blood as most on here want to believe that we are ?
Now we have managed to get to Omaha every decade since the 70’s and sometimes multiple times in a decade but blue bloods win multiple Championships (Conf and WS) and we haven’t done that.
Is it difficult always carrying around this much self-loathing? Seems exhausting.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Who cares about SEC titles? Those are great programs. We have a great program. We just have a terrible coach right now. Dude has lowered expectations and is now getting people into a revisionist history

Last edited:

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
We have 11 overall…. Went from 1989 to 2016 without winning one. Pretty pathetic.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We had a heck of a run from 2016-2021, definitely elite compared to what others were doing.

We for sure slipped in the pecking order in the 25 years prior to that (1991-2015). The last two years haven’t helped either, obviously.

Vandy and Florida have been the two best programs in the country since about 2010, arguably by a wide margin. People kinda forgot about Florida in recent years because they haven’t had as much postseason success recently. But O’Sullivan has been there since ‘08 and has 7 Omaha trips in that time. There have only been two years since he started at UF where they didn’t host, and they still made the NCAAT both times.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
The truth is Mississippi State and Florida have the exact same number of CWS titles and they occurred within 4 years of each other.

The truth is that I can wear a Mississippi State shirt in public and not feel embarrassed or ashamed about it.
And after Florida gets their NCAA bid this year, they will be tied at the top with us out of SEC schools NCAA appearances, at 39. They dont have **** on us overall honestly.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
And after Florida gets their NCAA bid this year, they will be tied at the top with us out of SEC schools NCAA appearances, at 39. They dont have **** on us overall honestly.
Except that our record against Florida is the worst of any SEC opponent. 50-69 overall. They can get better players and have an a-hole for a coach that apparently the players love to play for.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
How many natties has FL won in baseball? How many we got? 17?FL and their gazillion athletes. We're just poor *** MS.*

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It seems like there is a thread once a week where someone is trying to convince everyone we are not an elite program. I really don’t get the point of it. We are certainly one of the better baseball programs in the country.
17 YOU FOR DARING TO BE PROUD OF SOMETHING RELATED TO MISSISSIPPI STATE!***

AND GUESS WHAT... OUR ELECTRIC CARS, DRONES, ENGINEERING PROGRAM, AND FRISBEE GOLF AIN'T WORTH A DAMN NEITHER!***

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Here is the truth. LSU is far and away the #1 baseball program in the SEC. After them, you’ve got about a 5-way tie between Us, Florida, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, and Arkansas if you stack up everything pertinent (fan support, SEC titles, long track record of success, CWS Appearances, National Championships, and NCAA Tournament appearances). If I just had to rank 2-6, I’d probably go Florida, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and finally Arkansas. But other than Arkansas having the key missing piece to their resume, you could argue those programs in just about any order. And Arkansas is so strong in every other metric that you have to include them in the discussion. And there is a HUGE gap between #6 and whoever #7 is. Georgia or Ole Miss maybe???

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
As far as relevancy in college baseball, we were the firstest , just not the mostes!

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Well, Flarda walked one off on Bammer tonight and it was entertaining seeing the Bammer players getting chippy afterwards. Poor fellas…

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Here is the truth. LSU is far and away the #1 baseball program in the SEC. After them, you’ve got about a 5-way tie between Us, Florida, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, and Arkansas if you stack up everything pertinent (fan support, SEC titles, long track record of success, CWS Appearances, National Championships, and NCAA Tournament appearances). If I just had to rank 2-6, I’d probably go Florida, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and finally Arkansas. But other than Arkansas having the key missing piece to their resume, you could argue those programs in just about any order. And Arkansas is so strong in every other metric that you have to include them in the discussion. And there is a HUGE gap between #6 and whoever #7 is. Georgia or Ole Miss maybe???

We are at best the #4 program in the league. I think LSU, Florida, and Vandy are clearly above us. And as long as DVH is at Arkansas it would be hard to not put them ahead of us too, in spite of their lack of a championship.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
We are at best the #4 program in the league. I think LSU, Florida, and Vandy are clearly above us. And as long as DVH is at Arkansas it would be hard to not put them ahead of us too, in spite of their lack of a championship.
If you want to evaluate on a 10-15 year time horizon, you are correct about Vandy. But then you’d also have to then say Vanderbilt is a clearly better baseball program than LSU, which is not a reasonable argument to make. Longevity, history, and fan support matter in this equation too. And if that is taken into account, Vandy is not a significantly better baseball program than us. Only one coach has ever taken them to Omaha. They very well may collapse into obscurity once Corbin is gone. It’s just hard to find much separation at this point between MSU, Florida, Vandy, South Carolina, and Arkansas if you look at it on a long multi-coach time scale.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
In October of 22' D1 baseball ranked the top college baseball programs in the country. Here are the results:

Screenshot_20230525-061900.png

The program is more than any individual team. It's the culture, fan support, history, and commitment. The last two years have sucked on the field and I want it to turn around more than anyone, but to discount the national importance of Mississippi State baseball is just being a rube.

Now to the main point... Are we a "Blue Blood" program. 17 no. Blue bloods are noble by birth and given everything by right and have to try not to squander it away. Mississippi State is the baseborn working class rags to riches program of college baseball. We got here with callused hands and blistered feet. And an entire 17ing army of po old Mississippians that lifted the entire sport of college baseball from the 1980's through today. Using the term blue blood is antithetical to everything Mississippi State is in my mind.

For the last 2 years the baseball team has performed like shìt. I personally think the program lost its edge by winning it all. It's time to get that working class mentality back . That starts at the top. If Lemonis is getting 1 more year, he needs to figure out what it means to be a bulldog, figuratively and literally.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
FEAR AND LOATHING IN STARKVEGA$
VIVA STARKVEGA$

Elvis GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Truth is, you seem miserable.

Life is to short to spend so much energy on something that is so disappointing to you.
You'd think being a Saints fan he would be accustomed to being disappointed, unless, he's one of those bandwagon fans that just jumped on for the Brees and Payton show and has now 'left the building'.

I grew up in S MS watching the Saints in black and white via an antenna, went to my first Saints game in the old Tulane stadium in 1973. They had guys walking up and down the stairs selling beer out of what looked like metal pump up garden sprayers. I can tell you some disappointing stories about the Saints. I walked uphill in snow to school too, barefooted, in S MS!**

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Now to the main point... Are we a "Blue Blood" program. 17 no. Blue bloods are noble by birth and given everything by right and have to try not to squander it away. Mississippi State is the baseborn working class rags to riches program of college baseball. We got here with callused hands and blistered feet. And an entire 17ing army of po old Mississippians that lifted the entire sport of college baseball from the 1980's through today. Using the term blue blood is antithetical to everything Mississippi State is in my mind.

For the last 2 years the baseball team has performed like shìt. I personally think the program lost its edge by winning it all. It's time to get that working class mentality back . That starts at the top. If Lemonis is getting 1 more year, he needs to figure out what it means to be a bulldog, figuratively and literally.
This is the existential crisis. We honestly need to figure this out with all our sports, more now in the NIL/portal era than ever before.

I've went back and forth on baseball. I loved the way Cohen built the program and got us back. I loved that 2013 team. We kinda of lost our edge after that one as well, and then 3 years later he built us back into an SEC champion. Maybe it just happens, our players got to thinking they were celebrities, etc. And let's remember, that 2016 team was FULL of the PG AA types. The 'tough' kids were freshmen (Mangum, Stovall, etc.).

I had heard about Lemonis' recruiting strategy, and didn't like it. But the team at the time he took over was kinda in the mold of a Cohen team (maybe I should say a Mangum team). Now, it's more of the celebrity drama queens. So, is Lemonis really a soft guy? Because the same things happened to Cohen.

Bottom line, Lemonis has to win big in 2024, no matter the players. At that point, if he's got the intestinal fortitude, he can start with the 'culture' or strategy part.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
In the last 10 years prior to this one, LSU has won 2 SEC regular season titles, 3 SEC Tournaments, played in 6 Super Regionals, been to Omaha 3 times, and been the CWS Runner up once. Those 10 years actually only encompass 9 seasons because of the 2020 cancelled year. And they’ll be a certain national seed this year. They have been quite relevant. Even if you want to reduce the time scale to the last 5 seasons played, they have played in 2 Supers and can make it 3 out of the last 5 if they get there this year, and they’ve got a great path to Omaha with Skenes in their rotation.

Guys, LSU hasn't been relevant in the big picture in years and probably won't be this year.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Mississippi State is an elite program in baseball. I don't think we're a blue blood. We don't have the resources that other schools do, we just care a lot more about baseball.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
You'd think being a Saints fan he would be accustomed to being disappointed, unless, he's one of those bandwagon fans that just jumped on for the Brees and Payton show and has now 'left the building'.

I grew up in S MS watching the Saints in black and white via an antenna, went to my first Saints game in the old Tulane stadium in 1973. They had guys walking up and down the stairs selling beer out of what looked like metal pump up garden sprayers. I can tell you some disappointing stories about the Saints. I walked uphill in snow to school too, barefooted, in S MS!**

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It seems like there is a thread once a week where someone is trying to convince everyone we are not an elite program. I really don’t get the point of it. We are certainly one of the better baseball programs in the country.
Because how dare anybody think poor state should be good at anything and expect it. We should just be lucky to have sports program. The awe shucks fans at msu are rampant. Bunch of dudes that never landed the hot chick. Never had the balls to say hey we 17in own this and we should be better.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I wondered when this was coming up on the board with the SEC Tourney going on. If you are talking baseball history, there is Texas... and then there is everyone else. It's debatable about the last four years who has the best program, but we have to be on the radar if you're talking about the last 40 years. If considering fan attendance and history MSU and LSU are far and away at the top. Lots of schools that had money to throw at their programs built new little stadiums and took their "rightful" place at the top of this new sport by beefing up their program.

There are schools considered Blue Bloods by the people who really know the history of this sport.

We have 23 of the Top 25 Attendance Records. 43,986 fans attended the three-game set between MSU and Ole Miss.

When someone gets numbers close to this let me know.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022

I think Ark get theirs this year. Karma owes them.

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
Have you seen our baseball stadium?

who needs NIL or coaching-when yiu have the BEST BASEBALL STADIUM IM THE WORLD

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Regular season baseball titles are worth everything. Just ask Arkansas

Reactions: Msuirondawgs