South Carolina LB Pup Howard entering transfer portal

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
Meme Spongebob GIF by MOODMAN

Myrtlecock

Joined Nov 30, 1998
Jan 23, 2022
lol. Can’t even begin to invest emotionally or financially in this sort of game any longer.
Exactly. This is exactly what I've been saying for over a year now. This crap is going to end up costing much more than it's making these kids in the long run. The conferences, the schools, or somebody better step in and make some adjustments before they lose everything.

First adjustment: Transfer and you have to sit out a year. That would fix 90% of it.

When losing to Clemson hardly even bothered me, I know something's wrong. Hell I broke my foot one time because we lost to Clemson (2000). 😡😡

Last edited:

Psycock

Joined Jan 20, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
Wow he really talked the talk - sure didn’t walk the walk. This portal stuff is really out of hand needless to say.

Reactions: gamecxcks

Pillman40

Joined Feb 2, 2005
Jan 25, 2022
NIL alone presents challenges. The transfer portal alone presents challenges. The two together are a nightmare. The colleges and universities that invest time and resources in these players are owed something.....

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
As I said before the empty stadiums will fix it.
Nah. So much $$ for TV. Big programs are going to spend. The contenders’ fans will never stop going. They are fine. We’re just the kind of program caught in the middle. We don’t push the needle. If our fans stop going / caring…our team eventually will become even more irrelevant and eventually just be replaced by a fanbase / team that has hope.

I have no hope left. I don’t even blame Beamer. This kid is evidence there isn’t much a coach can do to keep these punks. F*** it. I can be done with this.

Reactions: KingWard

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Perhaps he grew out of his position and became a tweener? Became a step slower and a little less athletic?

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Nothing to be concerned about. I was assured in the Stone thread that we had nothing to worry about.
Stone is not a legitimate starting LB in the SEC, and he played more than Pup. Let’s see how it shakes out in the portal before panicking. Stewart also just said in an interview they plan on using him at edge and LB. Maybe Pup saw the writing on the wall.

Also, I’m not sure why a Clem fan would be worried to begin with??

Last edited:

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022
This is precisely the reason that I won’t spend a nickel to pay some kid to play.

These guys are rentals, not Gamecocks.

Reactions: cockyferg

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Is there a running list of the number of players lost through the portal by team? I suspect we are easily in the Top 10.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
What percent chance is there that there was no tampering here? Is it purely coincidence that he decides to enter the portal the day before it closes?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
That's just awful.

It's a harsh lesson on the new realities of college football. Have to start talking about these guys like professional players. Speak about their skill and level of play, and that's it. You simply can't talk about players who love the team or program any longer.

Last edited:
  • Angry

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Homesick ? It's a 4 hour drive. He's going to have to do better than that.
IDK. Doesn't sound like it's NIL related. I don't know who would tamper with a reserve LB with 18 tackles. Can't see that being an issue. Who knows. Could be some kind of health issue?

Kdaddy78

Oct 17, 2023
I thought we may see this after these kids went home for the holidays and had more people in their ear. Kinda shocked it was only 2 based on everything else. Back in the old days, a kid went home and felt homesick and was told to tough it out and not quit on your team and teammates. Now, they just quit. I get it, its not the entire team. Some kids still have this respect for them and their team, but its disgusting to see the others quit. Of course, as mentioned, those "quitters" that can make us better are more than welcomed here! Such a double edged sword and a mess. Best of luck to the coaches.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I thought we may see this after these kids went home for the holidays and had more people in their ear. Kinda shocked it was only 2 based on everything else. Back in the old days, a kid went home and felt homesick and was told to tough it out and not quit on your team and teammates. Now, they just quit. I get it, its not the entire team. Some kids still have this respect for them and their team, but its disgusting to see the others quit. Of course, as mentioned, those "quitters" that can make us better are more than welcomed here! Such a double edged sword and a mess. Best of luck to the coaches.

I think the main kick in the nuts with Howard is that he publicly professed himself to be Gamecock through and through until death. His words. And his head coach went and bragged on him being sold out as a Gamecock for life.

Gamecock until death added up to one year with the program.

Reactions: Chicken Soup

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
It's a harsh lesson on the new realities of college football. Have to start talking about these guys like professional players. Speak about their skill and level of play, and that's it. You simply can't talk about players who love the team or program any longer.
It's sickening. The moral fiber is badly frayed.

Kdaddy78

Oct 17, 2023
I think the main kick in the nuts with Howard is that he publicly professed himself to be Gamecock through and through until death. His words. And his head coach went and bragged on him being sold out as a Gamecock for life.

Completely agree. Its a slap in the face for sure.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It's sickening. The moral fiber is badly frayed.

I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that the general ills of society are spilling over into college football. Though much of it was illusory, there was a sense in which college football seemed immune to a lot of societal issues and was sort of a haven. It provided an escape. Once fall arrived, you could immerse yourself into college football and at least for a bit all seemed right with the world.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022

THere are a lot of people who say in front of family and friends "TIll Death Do Us Part". I'm not going to get worked up because some 18 old said the same thing and backtracked.

Reactions: adcoop

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
THere are a lot of people who say in front of family and friends "TIll Death Do Us Part". I'm not going to get worked up because some 18 old said the same thing and backtracked.

We certainly all understand that a college football player deciding to change schools is not on the same magnitude of a marriage splitting up. Nothing novel in that observation.

We certainly all also understand the discussions here are all in the context of sports and should be taken that way. Does any of this matter at all on the bigger scale of my life as a whole? Absolutely not. Sports is a drop in the bucket of my life. But for that drop, it sucks.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I'm reminded of the Juice conversations. We were looking for him to have a large impact even though he didn't play much this year. Then we said it wasn't a big loss, because he didn't play much this year.

I suppose I'm just tired of trying to tell myself that each of these players leaving were not really needed anyway.

This open portal needs fixing.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I'm reminded of the Juice conversations. We were looking for him to have a large impact even though he didn't play much this year. Then we said it wasn't a big loss, because he didn't play much this year.

I suppose I'm just tired of trying to tell myself that each of these players leaving were not really needed anyway.

This open portal needs fixing.

I was one of the ones who noted that about Juice, mostly just to say we weren't actually losing any production from this year's team. In that respect, it wasn't a loss since we didn't technically have to replace any production. Obviously, he would have been a major contributor though.

The narrative on Howard shifted dramatically...overnight. By all accounts he was expected to a take a step forward and be a key contributor in the future. Now he was an underperforming true freshman.

Reactions: Lurker123