State of the Program

Anon200440

Senior
Mar 28, 2026
543
939
93
LOL, check your "facts", Rondo didn’t play for BCG and from what I know of RR, he wouldn't put up with BCG for 2 minutes.

As far as PP, who cares if BCG ultimately landed him, he didn't win a damn thing with him, which really hurts your argument.

You guys are obsessed with receuiting, because you think it fits your weak takes, but if you land good recruits and still can't win, you suck.

BCG had Ramel, Crawford, Meeks and Patterson, played a weak *** schedule (68th and 66th), lost 13 games in year one and 14 games in year 2 with an NIT appearance. He won a total of ZERO NCAAT games and 1 whole SECT game. WTF am I missing here?

BCG lost to Gardner Webb, VMI, UAB, San Diego and Vanderbilt by 41. If Mark Pope lost to any of these teams, you p*ssies would be going bananas daily.

Truth is, Pope has 10 better wins than any BCG had and BCG has 10 worst losses than any of Pope's, yet the only thing you can come up with to prop up your ridiculous take, is that BCG landed Patrick Patterson and Rajon Rondo played for UK before BCG took the job??? That's it, that's your proof?

Do you see why I can't take you seriously?
Who cares about the wins if it amounts to nothing besides lausy on court performances and lackluster talent
 
Aug 23, 2024
3,088
6,616
113
When you look back at Cal - the reality is he went from an Elite 8 to 2 COVID years which you have to give a full pass on. Then three early exits (1st, 2nd, 1st). He was pushed out for those three years.

Take a look at a guy like Jim Calhoun, who's considered a top 5 coach in the sport. In the 6 years between his titles, he missed the tourney twice, lost to George Mason in the Elite 8 and got knocked out in the 1st and 2nd round two years. Sometimes you have to be patient.

This fanbase has zero. Why I question any established comfortable coach coming.
I was never one that was trying to push Cal out of town but saying he should get a full pass on the Covid seasons is absurd.
 

Catastic5

Sophomore
Sep 12, 2026
69
181
33
He had Mitchell committed. If Stankey hadn't stopped it all of your whining about the rest of it is irrelevant.
Always hypotheticals when it comes to Mark Pope.

“We woulda been good if we just got so-and-so.”

That’s loser talk. I don’t know why you can’t see that. This is how we talk about the football team, not freaking basketball.
 

BookofMormon

All-Conference
Mar 27, 2026
949
1,231
93
I was never one that was trying to push Cal out of town but saying he should get a full pass on the Covid seasons is absurd.
You serious? One season was cancelled, the other was shortened and he couldn't recruit like he normally does the prior year. I give him a full pass.

He had three stinkers on the back end. The Oscar team was actually very good too.
 
Aug 23, 2024
3,088
6,616
113
You serious? One season was cancelled, the other was shortened and he couldn't recruit like he normally does the prior year. I give him a full pass.

He had three stinkers on the back end. The Oscar team was actually very good too.
He was playing under the same rules and conditions as everyone else so he deserves no pass. I am obviously not blaming him for the outrageous cancelling of the tournament and that was a good season anyway so need for a pass on that one but posting the worst season in school history is not excusable though I still never came close to calling for his dismissal due to what he had done previously. You really should have just tried to excuse him for one year not two as that was all that really needed it in relation to Covid. I thought it was the St Peters loss you were trying to excuse originally.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: kyjeff1

kyjeff1

Heisman
Sep 8, 2012
51,589
72,700
113
Who cares about the wins if it amounts to nothing besides lausy on court performances and lackluster talent
LOL, who cares about wins? Every freaking fan out there. Nobody (but you) cares how you win the damn game, just freaking win it.

I don't care if Doug Edirt is our starting pg, if we win a title, I don't give a damn about what talent we had.

So, does this mean you hate the '97/98 title team?

I forgot who I was chatting with, you seriously thought BCG recruited… .and landed Rajon Rondo. 🙄
 

kyjeff1

Heisman
Sep 8, 2012
51,589
72,700
113
He was playing under the same rules and conditions as everyone else so he deserves no pass. I am obviously not blaming him for the outrageous cancelling of the tournament and that was a good season anyway so need for a pass on that one but posting the worst season in school history is not excusable though I still never came close to calling for his dismissal due to what he had done previously. You really should have just tried to excuse him for one year not two as that was all that really needed it in relation to Covid. I thought it was the St Peters loss you were trying to excuse originally.
Cal also had 3 NBA talents on that 20/21 roster. He went 9-16. Ewe.
 

BookofMormon

All-Conference
Mar 27, 2026
949
1,231
93
He was playing under the same rules and conditions as everyone else so he deserves no pass. I am obviously not blaming him for the outrageous cancelling of the tournament and that was a good season anyway so need for a pass on that one but posting the worst season in school history is not excusable though I still never came close to calling for his dismissal due to what he had done previously. You really should have just tried to excuse him for one year not two as that was all that really needed it in relation to Covid. I thought it was the St Peters loss you were trying to excuse originally.
Take a look at the COVID tourney and tell me if anything turned out normal that year. Baylor won a title for Christmas Sake. Duke missed the tournament. That was the first season K missed the tournament since.........1983. If you don't think it was weird and quirky year, especially for coaches that thrive on the recruiting trail, you're not being fair.

I'm not excusing the last three. St Peter's went on an outrageous heater that year during the Oscar year. They made it to the Elite 8.

Oakland was a gaff, but that 23 HS class was abysmal.
 

Im The Village Idiot

All-American
Sep 7, 2025
2,664
6,613
113
As a relatively pro-Cal guy compared to most of this site, let me say — some of you need to move on. Cal isnt coming back. Pope era hasn’t been up to UK standards just yet, but there have been signs of hope and there have been some uncontrollable circumstances. Hope for the best and quit punishing Pope because you feel the fanbase ran off Cal. That’s not how to do things. There are genuine concerns and if it doesn’t work with Pope, everyone will be glad to start a new chapter. Until then, please understand — CAL IS NOT COMING BACK! So quit being a nuisance to your fellow fans.

Ive got a family member this was directed to more than anyone lol but still — it has relevance here.
 

Im The Village Idiot

All-American
Sep 7, 2025
2,664
6,613
113
Take a look at the COVID tourney and tell me if anything turned out normal that year. Baylor won a title for Christmas Sake. Duke missed the tournament. That was the first season K missed the tournament since.........1983. If you don't think it was weird and quirky year, especially for coaches that thrive on the recruiting trail, you're not being fair.

I'm not excusing the last three. St Peter's went on an outrageous heater that year during the Oscar year. They made it to the Elite 8.

Oakland was a gaff, but that 23 HS class was abysmal.
Weird and quirky year doesn’t excuse it. Every other team played by the same rules and most of them didn’t go 9-16. Worst record since pre-Adolph Rupp with the number one recruiting class and multiple NBA players.
 

Anon200440

Senior
Mar 28, 2026
543
939
93
LOL, who cares about wins? Every freaking fan out there. Nobody (but you) cares how you win the damn game, just freaking win it.

I don't care if Doug Edirt is our starting pg, if we win a title, I don't give a damn about what talent we had.

So, does this mean you hate the '97/98 title team?

I forgot who I was chatting with, you seriously thought BCG recruited… .and landed Rajon Rondo. 🙄
I do care about wins, im just saying when those good winning seasons stop coming there needs to be SOMETHING to sink my teeth into (recruiting, or on court entertainment/playstyle)

when u have none of that u end up in popes situation
 
Aug 23, 2024
3,088
6,616
113
Take a look at the COVID tourney and tell me if anything turned out normal that year. Baylor won a title for Christmas Sake. Duke missed the tournament. That was the first season K missed the tournament since.........1983. If you don't think it was weird and quirky year, especially for coaches that thrive on the recruiting trail, you're not being fair.

I'm not excusing the last three. St Peter's went on an outrageous heater that year during the Oscar year. They made it to the Elite 8.

Oakland was a gaff, but that 23 HS class was abysmal.
It still doesn't come close to excusing 9-16 imo.
 

Im The Village Idiot

All-American
Sep 7, 2025
2,664
6,613
113
I do care about wins, im just saying when those good winning seasons stop coming there needs to be SOMETHING to sink my teeth into (recruiting, or on court entertainment/playstyle)

when u have none of that u end up in popes situation
Pope’s playstyle is an exciting one to me. You prefer isolation plays and floppy action with 4 out 1 in over a 5 out continuous read-based system? Play style is an odd critique imo. If you think Pope’s recruiting deserves critique, sure —- compared to Cal, that makes perfect sense but play style?
 

Anon200440

Senior
Mar 28, 2026
543
939
93
Pope’s playstyle is an exciting one to me. You prefer isolation plays and floppy action with 4 out 1 in over a 5 out continuous read-based system? Play style is an odd critique imo. If you think Pope’s recruiting deserves critique, sure —- compared to Cal, that makes perfect sense but play style?
Yes I prefer that playstyle, at least stylistically to me its a better viewing experience
 

Im The Village Idiot

All-American
Sep 7, 2025
2,664
6,613
113
Yes I prefer that playstyle, at least stylistically to me its a better viewing experience
Just rewatch old games then. You’re probadly not going to be seeing THAT playstyle at Kentucky in the foreseeable future regardless of who is next to be coach. Teams don’t run as much floppy to get shooters open and offenses are much more complex now. That‘s one reason you’re starting to see the mad scientists take over CBB. 2023 Hurley. 2024 Hurley. 2025 Golden. 2026 May. Analytics driven coaches are taking over and I don’t think that’s going to slow down anytime soon. Maybe in a few years it’s 2029 Oats?

🤞
 
KSR

Latest

  1. 01 KSR Basketball Jerone Morton opens up on knee injury: 'Everything happens for a reason'
  2. 02 KSR Football Watch Will Stein's guest spot with KSR's own Matt Jones on ESPN Radio
  3. 03 KSR Basketball Mark Pope does not expect imminent roster, staff additions ahead of 2026-27 season
  4. 04 KSR Cats in the NBA Charlotte Traded for Rob Dillingham, Then Quickly Cut the Former Cat
  5. 05 KSR Podcasts KSR Football Podcast: Successful September has Kentucky in the Top 25