The Big 3 - An overview

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Those were just assumptions.

My logic was in my post you responded to. I lined out the games we flat out blew.

And this is my disagreement:

We didnt blow the Austin Peay series. We got flat out beat.
We didnt blow the GA Southern game. We got beat
Same for LSU, Central Ark, and Georgia.

Those games we lost. The other team was better than us that day. Thats a talent issue.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You're lying if you are sitting here trying to say this year has not been a disappointment. You know it has. Baseball preseason expectations are notoriously wrong. After watching this team up through now, and you don't think this year is a disappointment from what your EYES, not Kendall Rogers, tell you, then you're missing some screws.
No.

Again I said on this board numerous times, that i didnt see the talent. You can dig thru the posts I made. I made many posts saying this on this very board and was attacked for it..... I think to be where we are currently is about what i expected. I'm hoping for 15 sec wins. I even posted yesterday that I still think we can get there.

The team is average talent wise. Lacks depth. And due to that will run hot and cold all season long... and end up about average.

Again.. Look at Ole Miss. Look at us. Very similar. Top half of line up is good. Bottom is terrible. 2 good hitter that carry things. Both teams have inexperienced players that they were hoping to come thru that havent lived up to the billing so far. Both Friday night starters have bit the dust, Dohm to injury, their guy due to not being very good. Both going into every weekend knowing they'll have to piece together at least 1 game. neither have dominate pen arms. I mean very very similar. Its just ole miss has played a much tougher schedule to date. Swap the schedules and our record is probably theirs and we are where they are at

However i say this with a disclaimer: This is where the teams of the past 2 seasons have fell apart. The back end of SEC play. So we need to have a good weekend this weekend, and i expect we will.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
And this is my disagreement:

We didnt blow the Austin Peay series. We got flat out beat.
We didnt blow the GA Southern game. We got beat
Same for LSU, Central Ark, and Georgia.

Those games we lost. The other team was better than us that day. Thats a talent issue.
Dude, here's my post:

Air Force, Austin Peay, South Alabama, LSU, Florida (twice), Central Arkansas, Georgia, Ole Miss

Let's take 2 of those out and just call them close losses, that's baseball, whatever.....say LSU and Austin Peay. We would be 29-7, 11-4. Good for 3rd in the conference and firmly in national seed territory.
I took out the AP game (I was only counting one), and the LSU game. I didn't list GA Southern. I'll even give you UCA.

We absolutely blew the rest, especially that Georgia game, albeit not really our fault.

So 28-8, 11-4. Fringe national seed, definite host.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Dude, here's my post:

I took out the AP game (I was only counting one), and the LSU game. I didn't list GA Southern. I'll even give you UCA.

We absolutely blew the rest, especially that Georgia game, albeit not really our fault.

games we didnt blow:
AP- 2
UCA- 1
LSU- 1
GS- 1
UGA- 1 (game wasnt blown, blame our catcher)
Tx AM- 2
Ole Miss- 1

Thats 9. So if all the breaks went perfect we'd be 27-9.

We also won a few games we werent suppose to win:
Southern Miss- 1
Georiga- 1 (slate alford)

So that would make us 25-11.

Throw in the 2 games where its jsut baseball... and we are 23-13.

We are currently 22-14, so i guess we are a game behind the pace by your math

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
games we didnt blow:
AP- 2
UCA- 1
LSU- 1
GS- 1
UGA- 1 (game wasnt blown, blame our catcher)
Tx AM- 2
Ole Miss- 1

Thats 9. So if all the breaks went perfect we'd be 27-9.

We also won a few games we werent suppose to win:
Southern Miss- 1
Georiga- 1 (slate alford)

So that would make us 25-11.

Throw in the 2 games where its jsut baseball... and we are 23-13.

We are currently 22-14, so i guess we are a game behind the pace by your math
Not arguing with you anymore. I listed the ones we blew, Texas A&M wasn't on it. You're totally disregarding the actual games I laid out, so what's the point.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Not arguing with you anymore. I listed the ones we blew, Texas A&M wasn't on it. You're totally disregarding the actual games I laid out, so what's the point.

Im actually doing your math.

36 games: Weve played
9 games: We didnt blow, I listed above (27 wins, 9 losses now)
2 games (USM, Georgia game 3): We came back, the other team blew. Because the arguement has two sides (25 wins, 11 losses)
2 games: just baseball like you mentioned (23 wins, 13 losses)

That makes for 13 losses:
9 non-blown, 2 we should have lost, 2 just baseball losses

Means we should be 23-13 by your math... your actually counting UGA as a non blown.. so your math would be 24-12, but i dont think the UGA is a blown one.. its a game we got beat

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
OM fans are running circles around MSU fans raising NIL.

little correction above .....

Also a tell tale sign, OM has about 3 lawyers at 2 different firms in Ridgeland running their deal. We have Charlie only.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Those were just assumptions.

My logic was in my post you responded to. I lined out the games we flat out blew.
So, we're actually a good team because we've lost several games that you think we "should" have won. That's Goat logic if anything ever was. If you're losing that many games you "should" win, you're probably just not as good as you think you are.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Back to the topic of big 3

Baseball is a big 2 at MSU.

Today Bo Bounds says our (and OMs) athletic department doesn't want to pay to fire a baseball coach nor pay what it takes for another (he guessed $2m a year).

That is disappointing. Because baseball is a big deal at MSU and our best chance to win big and compete for conference titles.

while I get the importance of football, We are a player or two better than G5 playing in the sec. It's damn near hopeless to win big in football. The AD office better come up with some really entertaining side bars for football games if that is truly where all the money has to go.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So, we're actually a good team because we've lost several games that you think we "should" have won. That's Goat logic if anything ever was. If you're losing that many games you "should" win, you're probably just not as good as you think you are.
No, it's just that I am going beyond surface level and trying to figure out the 'why'. There's a lot of give and take that goes beyond just the record.

Did you think that Ole Miss was truly a 32-21 (14-16) team at the conclusion of the regular season in 2022? Of course you didn't (at least I hope you didn't), if you knew what you were talking about and didn't just look at record only. They disappointed all year long, and were a game or two from not even making the field.

Are we at that level, i.e. national title caliber? Probably not, but we are better than our record indicates. That said, actions have consequences, and at the end of the day, you certainly are judged on your record. But we're trying to evaluate and predict the future here, so you have to dig deeper.

Go ahead and post your patented laugh emoji, because I know you won't see the big picture. Similar to the 2020 football season, and similar to how you couldn't see Cohen's trend from 2009-2012. I'm sure glad we didn't get what you wanted back then.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Dude, here's my post:

The problem is we “blow” these games for all the same reasons we have sucked the last 2 years. Not enough good arms and fielding mistakes.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Back to the topic of big 3

Baseball is a big 2 at MSU.

Today Bo Bounds says our (and OMs) athletic department doesn't want to pay to fire a baseball coach nor pay what it takes for another (he guessed $2m a year).

That is disappointing. Because baseball is a big deal at MSU and our best chance to win big and compete for conference titles.

while I get the importance of football, We are a player or two better than G5 playing in the sec. It's damn near hopeless to win big in football. The AD office better come up with some really entertaining side bars for football games if that is truly where all the money has to go.
We need a champion for baseball. We had one with Cohen, but he's gone. We need someone to mobilize our pro baseball alumni (not take away from football or basketball or anything else), someone who gets on the Dugout Club and Bulldog Initiative and pushes it. THAT is something I would get on board with, and be willing to donate significantly towards, if it ever happens, and I knew we were in 100%.

This can't be a coach, unless it's a special kind of coach, like Polk. Lemonis isn't the guy for this, he's just a cog. This guy really needs to be an MSU guy too, maybe even a former player. Jake Mangum maybe?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The problem is we “blow” these games for all the same reasons we have sucked the last 2 years. Not enough good arms and fielding mistakes.
I don't see it as quite that bad. Pitching all around seems better, and the errors and baserunning seem, well, just idiotic, rather than lack of talent.