The key to the rest of the baseball season.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Jurrangelo Cintje's back. If his back doesn't flare up on him Saturday, we win 2 of 3 and we're all pissed about the Sunday blowout loss but generally a lot more optimistic than we are now. Hopefully, that's just a one-time thing. It probably is. But if that becomes a lingering problem, we're sunk.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Jurrangelo Cintje's back. If his back doesn't flare up on him Saturday, we win 2 of 3 and we're all pissed about the Sunday blowout loss but generally a lot more optimistic than we are now. Hopefully, that's just a one-time thing. It probably is. But if that becomes a lingering problem, we're sunk.
Well we just cant afford a key loss to any player that is a servicable player at this point, because we dont have any depth to fill it in.

Cintje. Stephen. Jordan. Hines. Mershon. Hujsak.

The list is short. But we cant afford to lose any of these guys. The two pitchers probably the most valuable because we lack pitching talent in general, and bad pitching loses games quickly, as we've seen.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well we just cant afford a key loss to any player that is a servicable player at this point, because we dont have any depth to fill it in.

The list is short. But we cant afford to lose any of these guys. The two pitchers probably the most valuable because we lack pitching talent in general, and bad pitching loses games quickly, as we've seen.
As you pointed out in another post. This team just never had any depth at all. Any player goes down, and it leaves a gaping hole. Highfill goes down, replaced with Long. Dohm goes down, replaced by Siarry. Koehler sucks, nobody behind him. Just zero depth, and there's always going to be injuries and players who have an inexplicable bad year (I suspect our coaching him up may be part of Koehler's problem).

Reactions: HuntDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
As you pointed out in another post. This team just never had any depth at all. Any player goes down, and it leaves a gaping hole. Highfill goes down, replaced with Long. Dohm goes down, replaced by Siarry. Koehler sucks, nobody behind him. Just zero depth, and there's always going to be injuries and players who have an inexplicable bad year (I suspect our coaching him up may be part of Koehler's problem).
Koehler is very odd to me. I get struggling moving from Memphis to the SEC. But with a terrible non conference schedule, he's seen plenty of pitching that he should be accustom too.

I can even somewhat give you a batting average pass...BUT How do you have a guy hit 11 homers last season in 200 at bats. And have 0 homers in 100 at bats here. I mean you at least run into a few right?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Koehler is very odd to me. I get struggling moving from Memphis to the SEC. But with a terrible non conference schedule, he's seen plenty of pitching that he should be accustom too.

I can even somewhat give you a batting average pass...BUT How do you have a guy hit 11 homers last season in 200 at bats. And have 0 homers in 100 at bats here. I mean you at least run into a few right?
He was a good player in the AAC. Players transfer up all the time and do fine. No reason he shouldn't be hitting at least .280 and fielding the position cleanly. I chalk it up to our stellar coaching.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
What is the deal with Kohler? He was a very productive player for Memphis. He’s obviously solid in the field here but his bat is bad. He hit .330 with 11 home runs last year.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023

Man you said it. Those 6 HAVE to stay upright and healthy. Add to that 7, 8 and 9 are automatic outs almost every time through. Ugh

Reactions: basedawg and patdog

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Baseball happens.

And it happened this weekend. Eventually OM was going to take a series from us. We took a number from some of their better teams since 2015

The key for us is to continue improving. Losses like this weekend's should give us a chance to do that, even though it sucks. Our bullpen has to improve.

Don't see how we could end up hosting a regional, but we will end up somewhere and hopefully ... baseball.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Pitching is the lifeblood of an SEC baseball team. This is the third season after we have won the world championship. Why is our pitching so thin now? I can understand one season hitting us behind the eight ball, but this is ridiculous.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Pitching is the lifeblood of an SEC baseball team. This is the third season after we have won the world championship. Why is our pitching so thin now? I can understand one season hitting us behind the eight ball, but this is ridiculous.
lots around the league seem to be asking that this season. Not a lot of proven arms pitching well so far. And the league in general seems to lack pitching this season

What kill us, is we dont even have a Sunday starter. I mean I'm over asking for the tip top guys. But give us a staff of 7-8 arms that are realiable that can at least be servicable. Seems like we have half that.... and big picture wise, we've been lucky with arm injuries.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
lots around the league seem to be asking that this season. Not a lot of proven arms pitching well so far. And the league in general seems to lack pitching this season

What kill us, is we dont even have a Sunday starter. I mean I'm over asking for the tip top guys. But give us a staff of 7-8 arms that are realiable that can at least be servicable. Seems like we have half that.... and big picture wise, we've been lucky with arm injuries.
Honestly, I think it is a byproduct of the new NIL deals. Nobody can plan anything.

Reactions: HuntDawg

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006

There is one common denominator between this, Forsythe currently hitting almost 40 points higher this year at OK State and Josh Hatcher hitting .391 with 13 HRs his senior year:
1713197856564.jpeg1713197935708.jpeg

80 Dawg

Jan 30, 2020
Man you said it. Those 6 HAVE to stay upright and healthy. Add to that 7, 8 and 9 are automatic outs almost every time through. Ugh
I know Johnny Long is only hitting .250, but he has a .438 on base % which is solid (2nd on our team). He's hardly an "automatic out".

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I know Johnny Long is only hitting .250, but he has a .438 on base % which is solid (2nd on our team). He's hardly an "automatic out".
His OPS is the lowest on the team of any regular besides Koehler. He wasnt the everyday starter at pittsburgh. he's not good at the plate.

He's missing about 15-20 ats to qualify for the SEC batting leaderboard. If/When he gets those. His OPS will put him as one of the bottom 20 hitters in the league.

Just because hes better than a few guys we are forced to play (and we are forced to play him obviously) doesnt mean he's performing anything close to well.

basedawg

Aug 22, 2012
Our bench is awful, no production. We should win two against maybe worse team in SEC.

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
Our depth at pitching, especially left handed guys, is really bad. We have a lot of deadweight on our roster that has not been managed well since 2021. Davis is our only decent Lefty and he has shown to be hit or miss sometimes, Stevens has shown promise but he's had freshman lapses and who knows whats going on with Pico and Loftin.

Lemonis' really bad roster management has been his biggest crux and will be his eventual downfall.

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
His OPS is the lowest on the team of any regular besides Koehler. He wasnt the everyday starter at pittsburgh. he's not good at the plate.

He's missing about 15-20 ats to qualify for the SEC batting leaderboard. If/When he gets those. His OPS will put him as one of the bottom 20 hitters in the league.

Just because hes better than a few guys we are forced to play (and we are forced to play him obviously) doesnt mean he's performing anything close to well.
Give it a break a man. Just stop. You can't wait to try and pounce on long. He's better than a few because lemonis and company **** the bed recruiting. Just don't look at other decisions that give teams the walk off win. This is bigger than long. Way too much crap that needs to be fixed.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Give it a break a man. Just stop. You can't wait to try and pounce on long. He's better than a few because lemonis and company **** the bed recruiting. Just don't look at other decisions that give teams the walk off win. This is bigger than long. Way too much crap that needs to be fixed.
Just stating the facts. Cant be disputed. If you call that pouncing on long, so be it.

He platooned at pitt. Would be one of the worst 20 hitters in the league once he qualfies at bats wise. He hasnt thrown out a runner all season.

We should be exploring every option on our bench to keep both him and Koehler out of our lineup. I give Koehler a little rope becuase at least hes shown that in his career he can be a good hitter. Long hasnt.... that said the blame is squarely on Lemonis and company if we dont have anyone better because a good SEC lineup doesnt have players producing at this level in it.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022

His batting stats aren't that far off from Larry's. Long's actually walked only 3 less times than Larry in half the ABs, struck out 12 less times, and has a higher OB%. How did Larry stay leadoff for so long? Larry's also made some boneheaded mistakes while running bases. This whole team needs a reboot from the batting to base-running fundamentals. Hines and Jordan while hitting well have combined for over 80 strikeouts. Fielding is about the only thing this team does well(now that I've mentioned that the fielding will go to sh**). We definitely need more choices on our roster at most positions, and yes catcher is one of them. We are all disgusted with the product. Looking at the stats should make everyone sick.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Our depth at pitching, especially left handed guys, is really bad. We have a lot of deadweight on our roster that has not been managed well since 2021. Davis is our only decent Lefty and he has shown to be hit or miss sometimes, Stevens has shown promise but he's had freshman lapses and who knows whats going on with Pico and Loftin.

Lemonis' really bad roster management has been his biggest crux and will be his eventual downfall.
I realize that Tommy John recovery is a long journey, and Pico’s story is far from over. That said, I didn’t see much from his two appearances so far to make me think that he’s close. Everything from control to velocity to movement seemed light years from where he was as a freshman. My hope at this point is that he’ll still be here and ready for next season

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
His batting stats aren't that far off from Larry's. Long's actually walked only 3 less times than Larry in half the ABs, struck out 12 less times, and has a higher OB%. How did Larry stay leadoff for so long? Larry's also made some boneheaded mistakes while running bases. This whole team needs a reboot from the batting to base-running fundamentals. Hines and Jordan while hitting well have combined for over 80 strikeouts. Fielding is about the only thing this team does well(now that I've mentioned that the fielding will go to sh**). We definitely need more choices on our roster at most positions, and yes catcher is one of them. We are all disgusted with the product. Looking at the stats should make everyone sick.

Larry's OPS is about 50 points higher. I agree, I would have moved larry out of the lead off spot a while ago. However larry did prove to be a 300 hitter with an OPS of 960 last season... so again he's proven he can hit at this level.

But im not disagreeing, there is a lot that needs to be fixed.... There are basically 4 guys in the lineup that should play daily. Everyone else should be platooned until we find a hot hand.

As i've mentioned we lack talent.

Reactions: BreckyBratt

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
And a lefty FR with a .167 BA against a lefty starter Saturday. Both are inexcusable.
And again… there’s all this talk about guys like Long, Kohler, and Larry not producing like we need them to, but holy ****, look at what we have behind them right now for next season. This roster, as expected, is still one giant mess

patdog

May 28, 2007
And again… there’s all this talk about guys like Long, Kohler, and Larry not producing like we need them to, but holy ****, look at what we have behind them right now for next season. This roster, as expected, is still one giant mess
We’ve got about 8 true SEC caliber players. And 2 of them are out for the season.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We’ve got about 8 true SEC caliber players. And 2 of them are out for the season.
Minus the obvious senior graduates...

Downs
Chester
Spolitta (if he aint better than Long and Powell)

Should all be give their transfer papers at end of the season. They arent SEC talents.

Same for Holcombe, Forsythe, KK Clark

Larry, Powell, Koehler-- all should be banned from using their covid season.

Tempted to throw Chance into that bunch, but i'd probably keep him to be a bench guy.