The medical card

skipperDawg

Dec 23, 2023
What’s the packs opinion on the card in Mississippi?
It’s been around for a few months but don’t remember seeing it discussed.
(Hopefully no lock coming)

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Never heard of it

What Are You Talking About GIF by DrSquatch

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
My wife has it in Louisiana and my cousin has it in Mississippi. Harder to get in Ms. They literally asked my wife why she wanted it, she said i have anxiety. They said here is your card. Cousin got a few more questions

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Not hard to get if you’ve got any legitimate use for it. I’m using the term legitimate loosely.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
I thought it had some potential for good; especially for some rough conditions like MS, cerebral palsy, glaucoma, seizures, cancer, etc. But almost all of the ‘patients’ I’ve seen use one were already pot heads who had some weak back pain or anxiety diagnosis.
And I’ve had several change their mind when they find out they’ll have to stop their pain med or benzo if they have a card.
And I would imagine some of these dispensaries aren’t as profitable as they thought they would be.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
back pain might fall under chronic pain but Anxiety isn’t a diagnosis that can be used in the Mississippi program. I’m not so sure about dispensary profits, but it wouldn’t make sense for more and more storefronts to open up in an already saturated market if they didn’t think the money was there.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
My wife has glaucoma and got a card and tried it but has let the card lapse. While it does work to treat glaucoma it is only short term. It basically only works while you’re buzzing, 30 minutes to an hour. For it to be a legitimate treatment someone has to figure out how to make it time released to last over a period of time. The kicker is that since it’s technically an illegal drug there is little to no research being done to make it a viable treatment

Reactions: skipperDawg

idog

Aug 17, 2010
My wife has glaucoma and got a card and tried it but has let the card lapse. While it does work to treat glaucoma it is only short term. It basically only works while you’re buzzing, 30 minutes to an hour. For it to be a legitimate treatment someone has to figure out how to make it time released to last over a period of time. The kicker is that since it’s technically an illegal drug there is little to no research being done to make it a viable treatment
Doesn’t make sense to research it anymore than it has been for glaucoma (which was removed from the allowable diagnosis list) when there are bottles of drops for less than $20-30 that you can use once or twice a day without causing inebriation, etc.

Reactions: trob115

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
And I would imagine some of these dispensaries aren’t as profitable as they thought they would be.

In Louisiana they are making a killing. They have it limited to only 9, maybe 10 now dispensaries, and their prices are 2× or higher than those of neighboring states like Mississippi and Arkansas.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Doesn’t make sense to research it anymore than it has been for glaucoma (which was removed from the allowable diagnosis list) when there are bottles of drops for less than $20-30 that you can use once or twice a day without causing inebriation, etc.
There is basically four different Drops available to treat glaucoma or a combination of the four. Some don’t work on certain people and the glaucoma builds up a resistance over time to the ones that do work. My wife is on three different drops to try and control hers. One half oz bottle of one of them is $380. That’s a far cry from $20-$30. Oh, insurance won’t pay for it either. You want to talk about the side effects of those drops?

Reactions: wdawg44

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
i have a friend who says he goes "shopping" with his friend that has a card.....he says the amount they can purchase is an insanely large amount.....

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
In Louisiana they are making a killing. They have it limited to only 9, maybe 10 now dispensaries, and their prices are 2× or higher than those of neighboring states like Mississippi and Arkansas.
If they're that high, I'd be curious how much they are actually selling. If they're a lot higher than the black market, probably not nearly what they could be with more price competitiveness.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I know a couple of people that have it. One with a legitimate diagnosis and one that I think just got the diagnosis to get the card. With respect to the person that said they have a friend that goes shopping with somebody else, I think technically nobody other than the person with the card is supposed to be allowed in the store in MIssissippi.

With respect to profitability, I was told by somebody investing in it that there is no way to profitability for most stores with the number of qualifying diagnoses legitimately available. Anybody investing in it in Mississippi is either trying to establish a presence for when it becomes more generally legal, or is planning on selling beyond what is legal. Have no clue as to the validity of that.

My personal opinion is it's pretty much a nothing burger. It already seems to be extremely easy to get. That said, I have heard people openly talking about using that would have never done so even two years ago, so I do think there will be an uptick in recreational use. My only concern is that the cities and counties in the state continue to police public use. Makes a place seem much shittier if there is weed smell hanging around. We'll probably see an uptick in car wrecks as it becomes more widely used. But not sure it's going to be a big deal overall.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I have several friends with a card. One has cancer but the others don’t have anything wrong… so I don’t think it’s difficult to get a card if you want one.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
i have a friend who says he goes "shopping" with his friend that has a card.....he says the amount they can purchase is an insanely large amount.....
It’s on a points type system. You are allow so many points per week. Different items have different points values. Based on what I’ve seen you could buy close to an oz per week in actual weed. Only the card holder can go in the dispensary legally. Your friend is either sitting in the waiting room or the car most likely.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Yep

jb1020

Jun 7, 2009

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
this is just completely false.

Pretty sure if you are buying from a licensed fire arm dealer the questionnaire is going to disqualify you, unless you lie in which case it's a felony. You'll probably only get prosecuted for the felony if there is some political benefit to prosecuting you or you get really unlucky, but it's a risk a lot of people might not want to take. Probably shouldn't take it if you are a registered republican, but definitely shouldn't take it if you are a republican politician, even a small time one, or have any official position with a republican affiliated organization.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Seems relevant....

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
We'll probably see an uptick in car wrecks as it becomes more widely used. But not sure it's going to be a big deal overall.
TN moved away from breathalyzers and to blood toxicology for DUIs (county choice i think). Typically, they didn't fund the labs to handle the workload. Current 6 to 8 month turnaround. So, you fail a field test but weren't actually on anything, you get a DUI charge on the record for 8 months until you can get it dropped. Not ideal.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
TN moved away from breathalyzers and to blood toxicology for DUIs (county choice i think). Typically, they didn't fund the labs to handle the workload. Current 6 to 8 month turnaround. So, you fail a field test but weren't actually on anything, you get a DUI charge on the record for 8 months until you can get it dropped. Not ideal.
We really just don't have a good way to test for intoxication and it's probably about to get worse. I listened to a speaker the other day say that while Europe has not (yet) had the issues we have had with fentanyl, they have way more synthetic drugs that don't show up on drug tests. Said the normal drug panels would probably stick around for a while because of government inertia, but that they are going to be less and less effective going forward as a tool to make sure drivers and workers are not intoxicated.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Seems relevant....

reclassification has been needed forever. the way that it got classified in the first place is a farce that shockingly involved making sure a government agency maintained status/power/employees...

Last edited:
Reactions: dorndawg
Aug 23, 2012
There’s not enough prison space in the US to jail everyone who has lied on the “have you ever used marijuana” question on the federal form to buy a gun.

Reactions: dorndawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
There’s not enough prison space in the US to jail everyone who has lied on the “have you ever used marijuana” question on the federal form to buy a gun.
Well, I think the relevant question is "do you" use, not have you ever, which of course maintaining a weed card makes it hard to deny. But correct, it will only be selectively prosecuted. Usually probably as an add-on to a "real" crime to juice the recommendation under the federal sentencing guidelines and put pressure for a plea. But politics and probably even personal animus will occasionally come into play also.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Delta 9 bruh

Pretty sure if you are buying from a licensed fire arm dealer the questionnaire is going to disqualify you, unless you lie in which case it's a felony. You'll probably only get prosecuted for the felony if there is some political benefit to prosecuting you or you get really unlucky, but it's a risk a lot of people might not want to take. Probably shouldn't take it if you are a registered republican, but definitely shouldn't take it if you are a republican politician, even a small time one, or have any official position with a republican affiliated organization.
Only a true idiot would purchase a weapon, "on the record" or have a CCP. CCP's are biggest ruse the anitgun lobby has ever pulled.