The NFL just voted to ban the hip drop tackle.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Whole thing makes it really hard to use physics to bring a (bigger) guy to the ground.

Can’t use your body weight going towards the ball carrier (targeting). Can’t use it as a counterweight going away from the ball carrier (hip drop). Can’t use your arms to pull a guy anywhere up high (face mask, horse collar).
FIFY. If a runner is fast enough to not be caught by your bigs, and bigger than your speed guys, maybe it should be a bit of a challenge to tackle him.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Based on how many sports betting site commercials I sit through, I'd say ad revenue is what's making it to the owners.
If you are talking about ad revenue from ads during the broadcast of games or other content the NFL owns, then sure. That's what I was referring to by ratings. If you're talking about ad revenue from another source, I'm not sure what that is for the NFL.

Seshomoru

Apr 24, 2006
If the fine is large enough, yes that would get the attention of players. I have seen recent weekly fine reports and probably 90% of the fines are unsportsmanlike and average fine is like $12,500.
I dont think that amount would move the needle like the NFL hopes. The NFL fined Nick Bolton $8200 for a horse collar tackle in the Super Bowl.

If the fine is $200,000?...yeah I could see that being impactful. I just dont think the NFL will set the fine at an amount that quickly incentivizes a change in behavior like a 30 yard penalty would(that hurts the team, so there is pressure to adjust and comply because you are hurting others too).
Fine the owners a certain percentage of the players salary and have it hit the cap. They could take anything they want out of the game that way.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
This?

ray lewis GIF