The portal giveth and it taketh right back

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I’d rather play in Lebby’s offense than Deion’s. Especially as a RB.

GameDay much more likely to end up a Boulder though. So, there’s that.

Reactions: patdog

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Completely a guess here, but I imagine he wasn’t too thrilled to see us bring in the Oregon State RB for a visit right after he committed.

Wherever he ends up, this will be Amos’ 3rd team to play for. Gotta be careful with guys like that.

Pretty sure that's gonna be a large portion of the players going forward. Now it's free agency with no contracts, no limits, and no consideration for the student part of student-athlete.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Completely a guess here, but I imagine he wasn’t too thrilled to see us bring in the Oregon State RB for a visit right after he committed.

Wherever he ends up, this will be Amos’ 3rd team to play for. Gotta be careful with guys like that.
Right.

And . . . RBs are a dime a dozen.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I no longer spend any time or energy getting emotionally invested in any of our teams in the off season. Opening day I'll cheer for whoever runs out of the tunnel with our jersey on. Just a few years ago I planned my schedule around when we played...especially football. I made sure when we kicked off I was in front of a TV wherever I was. Last couple of years I have evolved to where if I am home I will watch it, but if something comes up where I can't then oh well. Part of that is a product of what we have put on the field the last few years and part of that is the constant transferring in and out and how the game is changing. I feel like a lot of the players don't give a **** any more so now neither do I.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Someone brought up a good point on Twitter that Mike Wright and him were buddies so that could be the reason he is looking.

Reactions: dgsmith15

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
I no longer spend any time or energy getting emotionally invested in any of our teams in the off season. Opening day I'll cheer for whoever runs out of the tunnel with our jersey on. Just a few years ago I planned my schedule around when we played...especially football. I made sure when we kicked off I was in front of a TV wherever I was. Last couple of years I have evolved to where if I am home I will watch it, but if something comes up where I can't then oh well. Part of that is a product of what we have put on the field the last few years and part of that is the constant transferring in and out and how the game is changing. I feel like a lot of the players don't give a **** any more so now neither do I.
FIFY***

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I used to keep up with recruiting and our rosters. It was always kind of fun to look back at which recruits developed. 10 years ago you could expect 1/3 to quit, be kicked off, or transfer out. About 50% turned into starters, but normally 60-70% would stick around for 4 years.

From a class of 25 you'd have 7-10 you'd never see play. 10-15 would eventually be starters. Then a handful of career backup / special teams type guys.

But today... I'd guess we'll reach a point where only 3-5 players per class spend their whole career with one school. I don't know how schools expect fans to stay interested when there's this much turnover on the roster. Never going to be the same as it was.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
We will be pass happy and if the RB cannot block well or cannot catch well he better move on, or if he is not looking like a starter...

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I no longer spend any time or energy getting emotionally invested in any of our teams in the off season. Opening day I'll cheer for whoever runs out of the tunnel with our jersey on.
Seinfeld was right - we really are just cheering for laundry.

And I 100% agree with you. I don't pay any attention to recruiting, and now I don't pay any attention to transfer hopping/etc. Once August hits, I'll start paying attention again.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Seinfeld was right - we really are just cheering for laundry.

And I 100% agree with you. I don't pay any attention to recruiting, and now I don't pay any attention to transfer hopping/etc. Once August hits, I'll start paying attention again.
I think I'm about to join you. CJ Johnson mostly ended my following of recruiting and then Chris Jones closed it off completely. I'll still support the Bulldog Initiative (thumbs up to @CharlieWinfield) but me caring about who comes and who doesn't from the portal is out of my control. But like @Bulldog from Birth said - #ForeverABulldog

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007

Or maybe we're bringing in the OSU RB because we knew this guy was probably leaving. And yeah, one transfer I can understand. But these guys transferring every year (or more often) is a huge red flag for me.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Well said, I only disagree about one small thing

I think a lot of players give a ****. It's just about themselves and more specifically, what they've gotta do to get that bag

The days of having to work towards something in the form of a professional career are over. They want that $$$ now, and a lot of kids feel like they've made it as soon as they get that first $50k check. Also, I don't know that anything's really changed in the grand scheme of things because thousands of kids fell off the face of the earth after that first NFL contract before all this NIL stuff as well. However, the timeline has now been fast forwarded by 3-4 years, and now we're seeing the dropoff in college instead of afterwards

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
They gotta make they money now or else they run the risk of ending up like French from OM.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I used to keep up with recruiting and our rosters. It was always kind of fun to look back at which recruits developed. 10 years ago you could expect 1/3 to quit, be kicked off, or transfer out. About 50% turned into starters, but normally 60-70% would stick around for 4 years.

From a class of 25 you'd have 7-10 you'd never see play. 10-15 would eventually be starters. Then a handful of career backup / special teams type guys.

But today... I'd guess we'll reach a point where only 3-5 players per class spend their whole career with one school. I don't know how schools expect fans to stay interested when there's this much turnover on the roster. Never going to be the same as it was.
Pretty hard to care about recruits that may not be here in a day/week/month...I suppose that if Lebby proves that in any single offseason he can coach any talent up to championship level, then maybe we get excited again...

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
So question. What is the $ that would make a player leave?

1) Not looking like a significant player/starter/coach don't like me: match $ and I am out?
2) I am kinda happy but open to offers: +$10K more than I am getting and I am gone?
3) I really like it here but I can't say no to a business offer: +$50K or +$100K unless my school matches it?

Wild wild west, what is the # for guys to bolt?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Don't lie now. Without looking, how many of our potential starters for next year can you name off the top of your head ? Hint...it's gonna be hard to beat me for the least .

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Don't lie now. Without looking, how many of our potential starters for next year can you name off the top of your head ? Hint...it's gonna be hard to beat me for the least .
Are both of the Russell brothers back? John Lewis? The Hammond kid at long-snapper.

I'm going to say even if you gave me the roster I still couldn't guess 10 starters.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
We won't know doodley-squat about this team until they suit up and start playing.

so there's no need to wring hands or bother speculatin' --- but I doubt that's going to stop any of us.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Heck, I probably won't bother to learn half their names this fall. Half of them will only be here for a few months anyway.

DawgieDust

Nov 6, 2017
Heck, I probably won't bother to learn half their names this fall. Half of them will only be here for a few months anyway.
I know, I'm ready to meet our senior QB that switch from a Baylor Jersey to MSU jersey at halftime.