Thompson vs Purdy

scarletred

May 31, 2022
Do we think there will be a genuine QB competition this fall or is Thompson the guy?

haven’t been this excited since we headed into the 1970 season with Van Brownson and Jerry Tagge at QB!

Husker88

May 31, 2022
I like the QB room of Thompson, Purdy, and Smothers. Seems like our best QB room in a while.

All with starting experience and real game time experience against quality competition.

Thompson looks to be the guy. It is June, optimism always abounds. ;)

Reactions: Headcard

scarletred

May 31, 2022
I like the QB room of Thompson, Purdy, and Smothers. Seems like our best QB room in a while.

All with starting experience and real game time experience against quality competition.

agree although Purdy was limited in spring due to injury. It does appear that we will have a viable #2 regardless

Spoonie Luv

May 31, 2022
Troll or not, the 1st sentence is a reasonable question.
Clown Conancon2019 GIF by Team Coco

fyrefightr

May 31, 2022

P

Jun 4, 2022
This is obviously not scarlet red. The easy way to tell is the lack of kindergarten spelling, and also a lack of meltdowns about what outfits the team wears. Plus he hasn’t tried to infer he’s a superior fan because he was born the year the Huskers started playing football

scarletred

May 31, 2022
This is obviously not scarlet red. The easy way to tell is the lack of kindergarten spelling, and also a lack of meltdowns about what outfits the team wears. Plus he hasn’t tried to infer he’s a superior fan because he was born the year the Huskers started playing football
I’m excited for the upcoming season. It reminds me a bit of the summer prior to the 1962 season, Bob Devaney’s 1st season, when we were coming off a 3-6-1 campaign. Went 9-2 that year.

You whippersnappers have no idea

Bigredhunter

May 31, 2022
Maybe I'm being oblivious but are other fanbases also begging for a QB competition heading in to the fall? Outside of us and maybe Iowa, who are they?

Reactions: Spoonie Luv

Husker88

May 31, 2022
Maybe I'm being oblivious but are other fanbases also begging for a QB competition heading in to the fall? Outside of us and maybe Iowa, who are they?
Who gives a **** about Iowa?

They'll win 7 to 9 games and go to some worthless bowl game. That is what they will do.

Reactions: CCHusker123

scarletred

May 31, 2022
We have done extremely well in free agency.

really excited about the portal guys

having said that we need to do better with our recruiting and development - despite 4 years of recruiting we have had to go outside for the most important position on offense (had to get a starter and backup), the most important player on defense (pass rusher) and most important player on special teams (returner) because in 4 years none of these positions had been adequately addressed

it would have been nice to be able to funnel much of the NIL money to players that had originally committed to us rather than mercenaries

not to mention trev having to intervene with the assistant coaching decisions.

Frost has been gifted a huge mulligan

Reactions: FolsomSt_Husker_Fan

NikkiSixx

May 31, 2022
Do we think there will be a genuine QB competition this fall or is Thompson the guy?

haven’t been this excited since we headed into the 1970 season with Van Brownson and Jerry Tagge at QB!
I sure as hell hope so..

Man, your 'Pride' thread on TOS is really something.. I would have never taken you for that kind of guy.

Deep

Iowa Swarm member
Jun 13, 2022
Saw this on the Purdue and Iowa board about Casey Thompson’s last year stats:

2100 yards, 24 TDs, 9 interception. Really not too bad. Looking at his games last year:

44 Kansas state 17-23 170 yds 1 TD 1 INT
Texas won 22-17

40 West Virginia 4-14 29 yards 0 TD 1 INT
Texas lost 31-23

81 Kansas 30-43 358 yards 6 TD 1 INT
Texas lost 57-56

11 Iowa state 2-6 2 yards 0 TD 0 INT
Texas lost 30-7

65 Baylor 23-38 280 yards 2 TD 1 INT
Texas lost 31-24

36 Oklahoma state 15-27 179 yards 1 TD 2 INT
Texas lost 32-24

109 Oklahoma 20-34 388 5 TD 0 INT
Texas lost 55-48

86 TCU 12-22 142 yards 1 TD 1 INT
Texas won 32-27

119 Texas Tech 18-23 303 yards 5 TD 1 INT
Texas won 70-35

123 Rice 15-18 164 yards 2 TD 1 INT
Texas won 58-0

41 Arkansas 5-8 57 yards 0 TD 0 INT
Texas lost 40-21

14 Louisiana 4-5 41 yards 1 TD 0 INT
Texas won 38-18

btown1110

Jan 23, 2012
Saw this on the Purdue and Iowa board about Casey Thompson’s last year stats:

2100 yards, 24 TDs, 9 interception. Really not too bad. Looking at his games last year:

44 Kansas state 17-23 170 yds 1 TD 1 INT
Texas won 22-17

40 West Virginia 4-14 29 yards 0 TD 1 INT
Texas lost 31-23

Texas lost 57-56

11 Iowa state 2-6 2 yards 0 TD 0 INT
Texas lost 30-7

65 Baylor 23-38 280 yards 2 TD 1 INT
Texas lost 31-24

36 Oklahoma state 15-27 179 yards 1 TD 2 INT
Texas lost 32-24

Texas lost 55-48

86 TCU 12-22 142 yards 1 TD 1 INT
Texas won 32-27

119 Texas Tech 18-23 303 yards 5 TD 1 INT
Texas won 70-35

123 Rice 15-18 164 yards 2 TD 1 INT
Texas won 58-0

41 Arkansas 5-8 57 yards 0 TD 0 INT
Texas lost 40-21

14 Louisiana 4-5 41 yards 1 TD 0 INT
Texas won 38-18
Texas fan here, just wandering through.

A lot of Texas fans would consider Casey to be the worst QB Texas has had in the past decade. I’m not sure that I’d put him at the bottom but he’d probably be 3rd or 4th worst. So not great, and especially not since Sark’s offense is very QB friendly. Case in point being that we had a mediocre OL, Casey throwing to largely average receivers (with the big exception being true freshman Xavier Worthy), a very good RB corps and injuries to lots of key players in the back half of the year and still had the 18th best offense in the country.

What he’s good at:
  • Using his feet to keep plays alive
  • Hitting the swing pass on the front shoulder
  • Generally the short to intermediate throws
  • He works hard (though that’s a bit of silly meme)
  • Did hit some nice throws late to get needed scores (OU, KU) but…
Where he’s not:
  • It’d be a mistake to call him clutch - scheme did him a lot of favors against OU/KU (though he did make the necessary plays so hats off for that) and had chances to beat OSU, Baylor, WVU (and really KSU, he didn’t do much in 2H) and didn’t do much of anything late in those games, including late picks, errant throws, etc
  • Tries to go for the big play late in the game leading to picks, longer line-to-gains, etc. instead of taking yards with his legs, shorter passes to convert first downs or just make it easier on the next down, etc.
  • Seeing dropping/late arriving defenders
  • Seeing open receivers downfield
  • Gets happy feet and throws off-platform sometimes even when not pressured
  • Hit and miss on throws over 20 yards whether the receiver is open or not
  • Max range is 50 yards downfield
  • Can go more E-W looking for an opening when running instead of getting yards by going upfield
And none of this is mentioning that he nearly transferred after his freshman year, threatened to leave in the middle of fall camp after losing the starting job last year, his dad more or less held the program hostage mid-season and demanded that Casey be the starting QB and then transferred right after Texas took Ewers without even giving a thought to competing in the spring. Right or wrong, it looked like he wanted the job and was told no so he took his ball and left. There was no love lost between Casey/his family and the Texas coaches/players.

So with all of that said, I would caution you to look at some to the context of his performances and watch the video below. Frost’s system is probably a better fit and maybe he can cover up some of his flaws/highlight his legs. But it’s a little concerning from afar that Purdy is concerned about the competition being fair in light of what we at Texas know of Casey.

Hope you guys beat the hell out of those bastards from Norman. Would love for Casey to get revenge against them (plus of course OU sucks). Best of luck with the year, glad y’all have a real game in only 6 weeks (!!!)

oh and lastly, Marcus Washington is 15 in the video below. Really like MW as a person/teammate but could never pull it together on the field to be a threat. Hands just way too inconsistent but a very likable, hardworking kid. He had a nice spring but was going to be WR5 so glad he’ll have a little more time with y’all.

3 n out

Jul 8, 2022
Not a news flash: Thompson was brought in to start no matter the practice performance of the other QBs. There is no real competition until and if Thompson fails to perform in games. Again, this isn’t news.

NorthWillRiseAgain

May 31, 2022

A lot of Texas fans would consider Casey to be the worst QB Texas has had in the past decade. I’m not sure that I’d put him at the bottom but he’d probably be 3rd or 4th worst. So not great, and especially not since Sark’s offense is very QB friendly. Case in point being that we had a mediocre OL, Casey throwing to largely average receivers (with the big exception being true freshman Xavier Worthy), a very good RB corps and injuries to lots of key players in the back half of the year and still had the 18th best offense in the country.

What he’s good at:
Where he’s not:
  • It’d be a mistake to call him clutch - scheme did him a lot of favors against OU/KU (though he did make the necessary plays so hats off for that) and had chances to beat OSU, Baylor, WVU (and really KSU, he didn’t do much in 2H) and didn’t do much of anything late in those games, including late picks, errant throws, etc
  • Tries to go for the big play late in the game leading to picks, longer line-to-gains, etc. instead of taking yards with his legs, shorter passes to convert first downs or just make it easier on the next down, etc.
  • Can go more E-W looking for an opening when running instead of getting yards by going upfield
And none of this is mentioning that he nearly transferred after his freshman year, threatened to leave in the middle of fall camp after losing the starting job last year, his dad more or less held the program hostage mid-season and demanded that Casey be the starting QB and then transferred right after Texas took Ewers without even giving a thought to competing in the spring. Right or wrong, it looked like he wanted the job and was told no so he took his ball and left. There was no love lost between Casey/his family and the Texas coaches/players.

So with all of that said, I would caution you to look at some to the context of his performances and watch the video below. Frost’s system is probably a better fit and maybe he can cover up some of his flaws/highlight his legs. But it’s a little concerning from afar that Purdy is concerned about the competition being fair in light of what we at Texas know of Casey.

Hope you guys beat the hell out of those bastards from Norman. Would love for Casey to get revenge against them (plus of course OU sucks). Best of luck with the year, glad y’all have a real game in only 6 weeks (!!!)

oh and lastly, Marcus Washington is 15 in the video below. Really like MW as a person/teammate but could never pull it together on the field to be a threat. Hands just way too inconsistent but a very likable, hardworking kid. He had a nice spring but was going to be WR5 so glad he’ll have a little more time with y’all.

So, Adrian Martinez with a bit more clutch and less legs.

btown1110

Jan 23, 2012
So, Adrian Martinez with a bit more clutch and less legs.
That’s probably pretty fair. Very curious to see Martinez looks at KSU, I know some national folks think he’s a good QB who just made some bad late-game decisions. Idk, him and Deuce Vaughn won’t be fun to defend though.

Casey only fumbled a handful of times and never late in the game (though I do remember some being pretty deep in our own territory). His issue was late game poor throws. Does that make him anti-clutch? Ehh, TBD I guess. If Whipple can protect him and make the reads easy then he’ll put some stats. Just don’t expect him to rip it downfield like he did with Pickett.

Reactions: CCHusker123

Chief Wiggum

Jun 1, 2022
Texas lost 57-56

Texas lost 55-48

Guess when I see those stats, my first reaction isnt to blame the QB...

Nuts McClanahan

Jul 3, 2022

Where he’s not:
Thanks for offering your insights. Those perceived weaknesses of Thompson are something to watch for. It may not be a good fit at NU since our OL struggles with pass protection. And our best strength on offense should be our receivers but we need someone who can throw the ball downfield to them.

As for Washington, sounds like a good player to bring in to bolster a receiving core. But we have five other new guys plus some young redshirts coming in too. He could easily find himself at #5 or worse at Nebraska too. Martin, Liewer, Belt, Manning, Garcia-Castaneda and Palmer all have playing experience as well. And there are a few promising kids I left out who are going to need lots of live scrimmage reps as well.

btown1110

Jan 23, 2012
Texas lost 57-56

Texas lost 55-48

Guess when I see those stats, my first reaction isnt to blame the QB...
Ha yes, I agree - the defense lost a very key DL and proceeded to implode against OU. He did have like 5 passes account for something like 60% of his yards (including a 75 yard screen pass) but he was certainly not the reason Texas lost.

With Kansas, also agreed - the defense was the issue. He threw a late pick but the defense finally held, got a great punt return and Casey found a TE on the sideline for a TD to send it to OT.

btown1110

Jan 23, 2012
Thanks for offering your insights. Those perceived weaknesses of Thompson are something to watch for. It may not be a good fit at NU since our OL struggles with pass protection. And our best strength on offense should be our receivers but we need someone who can throw the ball downfield to them.

As for Washington, sounds like a good player to bring in to bolster a receiving core. But we have five other new guys plus some young redshirts coming in too. He could easily find himself at #5 or worse at Nebraska too. Martin, Liewer, Belt, Manning, Garcia-Castaneda and Palmer all have playing experience as well. And there are a few promising kids I left out who are going to need lots of live scrimmage reps as well.
I hope it all clicks and you guys have a nice season, I was in Arlington in 2009 and very much enjoyed the game in 2010 but have otherwise never disliked Nebraska.

One thing I forgot on Washington is that he’s a very good blocker. Gives great effort and I imagine that will endear himself to both your players and coaching staff.

Husker88

May 31, 2022
All said, if you don't have a dude at QB then you can't win at a high level in college football.

Some programs like Alabama or Georgia can, but the rest of us simply can't. Even Clemson can no longer win without a high end dude behind center.

Baby steps for me anymore. Win games we should win, play solid football and move forward. We've lost a full 20 years with our football program. Gonna take some time to get back.

RedHiveBuilder

Jun 1, 2022

What he’s good at:
Where he’s not:

Thanks for the fair minded assessment of our (presumed) QB btown1110. Best post I've read on this forum since it started, thank you. That said, there is still a lump in my throat for that extra second added to the clock that day long ago.

The video linked above too often shows feet like TArmstrong and TMart -sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. He gets the ball off quickly, runs with some wiggle & with the ball close to his body in traffic, that will be an improvement. His throws seem fairly accurate in close quarters and he will throw into coverage, I like that. The QB gets too much credit and too much blame.

I hope his injury is healed. I thought there was a noticeable difference in his play after the injury last year. We don't yet know what our offense will look like this season, I hope it gels and he is a big part of it.