Thoughts on Kate Middleton

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
and the Royal Crown?

royal crown vintage GIF by Re Modernist

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Eh - leave them alone. Who cares?
well, because they are paid for by UK taxpayers and have a significant influence on UK policy, not to mention the effect UK policy has internationally.

Apparently, they've signaled to the media that there will be a major announcement coming shortly.

Didn't you watch "The Crown?"

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
WTF is the brouhaha about the “doctored” photos, anyway?
Apparently, Kate hasn't had a public showing since Dec 28th. They/She released that photo only to have it proven to be highly doctored. She pulled the photo and said she did the photoshop herself. What? Yet, still no public appearances.

She is said to have had abdominal surgery in January but that is weird too. They said it was 'scheduled' but canceled a public appearance in order for her to have the surgery.

In the meantime, the King is being treated for prostate cancer. Of course, we can't forget the Harry/Megan debacle.

Strange goings on. This may end up being one of the greatest scenes ever filmed regarding the UK reign.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
well, because they are paid for by UK taxpayers and have a significant influence on UK policy, not to mention the effect UK policy has internationally.

Apparently, they've signaled to the media that there will be a major announcement coming shortly.

Yes, a portion of the cost to maintain the Royal family is paid for by taxes, though the amount is unclear. Estimates range from STG 80mm- 350mm.

The Royals have little influence on UK policy.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Yes, a portion of the cost to maintain the Royal family is paid for by taxes, though the amount is unclear. Estimates range from STG 80mm- 350mm.

The Royals have little influence on UK policy.

Right. And their royal status has been voted on by their constituents (in polls) and they continually vote to support them (because they are a massive source of tourism and interest though like you said, have little to no influence on actual policy). It's sort of the one thing unique about the UK and most folks there like and support it.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Kate is supposed to make an appearance on Easter (natch!); we'll see. No one gives a sh*t when a Kardashian is photoshopped on a magazine cover (and she actually had an impact on real policy!) but if Kate or the Royals do it people and their conspiracy brains go bananas (the royals use a ton of tricks to fool the media and have for years; the conspiracy nuts now have the internet and any attempts at secrecy or diversion are quickly found out). Long story short, people need to find something better to do.

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Kate is supposed to make an appearance on Easter (natch!); we'll see. No one gives a sh*t when a Kardashian is photoshopped on a magazine cover (and she actually had an impact on real policy!) but if Kate or the Royals do it people and their conspiracy brains go bananas (the royals use a ton of tricks to fool the media and have for years; the conspiracy nuts now have the internet and any attempts at secrecy or diversion are quickly found out). Long story short, people need to find something better to do.

you equate the royals to Kim K?

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Just because they're born into (or married into) a certain family, people are brainwashed into thinking they're somehow more important than the average schmuck. Royalty is one of the biggest scams on the planet. It's no wonder we fought a war to get away from it.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I haven't paid much attention to the situation, but I'm hoping that Kate is OK. She has represented the Crown about as well as one could expect. All the best to her.

Agree. Wife went to school in London and Oxford and is infatuated with the Royals. Watching Spencer, The Crown, The Queen, etc. - living that life has it's perks but sucks a lot. Kate seems like a wonderful young woman and lost in all this nonsense is that she is a mother of three who apparently had a very serious medical procedure that because of her status, cannot remain private to some people.

Reactions: DaytonRickster

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Apparently, Kate hasn't had a public showing since Dec 28th. They/She released that photo only to have it proven to be highly doctored. She pulled the photo and said she did the photoshop herself. What? Yet, still no public appearances.

She is said to have had abdominal surgery in January but that is weird too. They said it was 'scheduled' but canceled a public appearance in order for her to have the surgery.

In the meantime, the King is being treated for prostate cancer. Of course, we can't forget the Harry/Megan debacle.

Strange goings on. This may end up being one of the greatest scenes ever filmed regarding the UK reign.

Strange things? Really? It was announced prior to her surgery that she would not be making any public appearances after tge surgery until after Easter. Last time I checked Easter hasn't arrived yet. This is muchado about nothing.

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Strange things? Really? It was announced prior to her surgery that she would not be making any public appearances after tge surgery until after Easter. Last time I checked Easter hasn't arrived yet. This is muchado about nothing.
Not true. She had a "planned surgery" which caused her to cancel several events. Then she releases a photo that makes her look like she is Mrs Sunshine (photoshopped) but can't seem to release even a single photo of her healthy.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021

Well at least they have a lot to use for the next season of The Crown ;)
In all seriousness I like Kate and I think she didn't realize what a microscope you live under when in the royal family. I don't follow them much but have seen so many headlines to what is wrong with her.... cancer... William cheated on her and got caught... she doesn't want to be in the royal family and wants a normal life again.... she doesn't want harry and meghan in the royal family.... etc... crazy life to live for them all

Reactions: bbrown

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
Agree. Wife went to school in London and Oxford and is infatuated with the Royals. Watching Spencer, The Crown, The Queen, etc. - living that life has it's perks but sucks a lot. Kate seems like a wonderful young woman and lost in all this nonsense is that she is a mother of three who apparently had a very serious medical procedure that because of her status, cannot remain private to some people.
She has handled herself with class through the years. Even though she signed up for this life, she deserves a bit of space at the moment. I think she has earned that.

Last edited:

s1uggo72

Oct 12, 2021

let me tell you about that MFer King Charles, and after watching the Crown, I know he is even a bigger worm than I thought. He is mucking up my whole Scuba diving program over a bunch of BS!

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
As someone who's grandmother was born Dublin, and still has family in Ireland, I couldn't be more happy to see growing dysfunction in the house of windsor
I refused to go into Dublin’s St. Patrick’s Cathedral, stolen from the Irish. And where the Occupiers allowed St. Mary’s Pro Cathedral to be built, right by Nighttown, well f them.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I refused to go into Dublin’s St. Patrick’s Cathedral, stolen from the Irish. And where the Occupiers allowed St. Mary’s Pro Cathedral to be built, right by Nighttown, well f them.
Use this standard in America and you may never leave your house…

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I’m going to Dublin in a week and a half. Pretty excited to see the town.

Going next year for the first time for spring break (Irish friends of ours have a big St. Patrick's Day soiree and rent out a castle) and we're spending some time in Dublin; as a very proud Irish American, I can't wait. Family is supposedly from County Claire but we also have very old English blood from Cambridge.

Daughter is keen to visit Trinity too - she's very interested in foreign universities (she's visited Oxford and the Sorbonne so far). Report back with your efforts/findings!

EricStratton-RushChairman

Oct 6, 2021
That Cathedral has a crazy history, as does much of the religious history of Ireland. What is also very interesting is that Catholics now outnumber Protestants in The North of Ireland for the first time ever.

Reactions: Psu00 and LionJim

Obliviax

Oct 12, 2021
Going next year for the first time for spring break (Irish friends of ours have a big St. Patrick's Day soiree and rent out a castle) and we're spending some time in Dublin; as a very proud Irish American, I can't wait. Family is supposedly from County Claire but we also have very old English blood from Cambridge.

Daughter is keen to visit Trinity too - she's very interested in foreign universities (she's visited Oxford and the Sorbonne so far). Report back with your efforts/findings!
my nephew spent some time at Trinity on an exchange thing. He's a prof in the South and does some world travel. he just got back from teaching a semester in Chile. I visited when PSU played in Dublin and have to say that the Irish people were the nicest people I've ever experienced anywhere in the world.