Thoughts on Kate Middleton

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
Didn't the King also announce he has cancer? And with 2 years left to live?

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
I feel sad when anyone has to fight a terrible disease. Other than that, as Rhett Butler would say “Frankly my dear I don’t give a damn”.

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
I find it a bit odd the way the royals just announce one of them has "cancer." It's akin to "he's got a knee." For whatever reason they remain hush hush about what type of cancer it is, with both the King and Kate. That's an intentional choice, and one I find odd.

Oct 12, 2021
Putting aside her high profile, she is the loving mother of 3 children. I wish her a speedy and full recovery. I know first hand the way the loss of a wife and mother devastates a family.
My thoughts exactly. My mother died from pancreatic cancer when I was eighteen. That was two years after my father had died. I had three older siblings and a younger sibling. We were all devastated. Her children are ages 10, 8, and soon to be 6. Godspeed.

Last edited:

Gobert21

Oct 22, 2021
Hysterectomy is my guess. Maybe buy the Charles is dying stuff to an extent. No way Will cheated; he doesn't seem to be his father at all.
Must have been some hysterectomy. My wife just had one with a major tumor and she was home that night. We went to u of scum for it and they couldn't push her out that day fast enough. She had some complications and still we left that day.

Now we got very lucky in that she had a mutation and we went from 5 months radiation and chemo to 5 weeks or radiation. This took place Dec and Jan and she has played 8 rounds of golf in Feb, 2 of them 18 holes. So to say the least she is doing great.

She has 35 years of being in the medical field and wonders if Kate didn't have colon cancer.

Lion84

Oct 7, 2021
I hope she recovers and has a long life but I don't really understand Americans fascination with the Royal Family - they have exactly zero to do with the US and watching celebs fawn over Harry and Megan is a little bit sickening.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Just two thoughts:

1. It's not my business
2. I'm glad she has health care, and I think everybody should

Reactions: LionJim

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
I hope she recovers and has a long life but I don't really understand Americans fascination with the Royal Family - they have exactly zero to do with the US and watching celebs fawn over Harry and Megan is a little bit sickening.
You know, the Kardashians and the cement heads from Jersey Shore also have a lot people in this country interested in them.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
You know, the Kardashians and the cement heads from Jersey Shore also have a lot people in this country interested in them.
It’s amazing how much dreck we’re willing to subject ourselves to.

And even good, wholesome stuff, like The Andy Griffith show. I’ve sworn off Mike and Molly (Vince blew the shark out of the water), but I’ve seen every TAGS episode 50 times.

Hey, @Connorpozlee and family, safe travels. I hope you enjoy Dublin as much as Jane and I did.

Reactions: Connorpozlee

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
It’s amazing how much dreck we’re willing to subject ourselves to.

And even good, wholesome stuff, like The Andy Griffith show. I’ve sworn off Mike and Molly (Vince blew the shark out of the water), but I’ve seen every TAGS episode 50 times.

Hey, @Connorpozlee and family, safe travels. I hope you enjoy Dublin as much as Jane and I did.
Thanks Jim, I’m looking forward to it!

• Love

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Officially or unofficially?
I have my copy of R. F. Foster’s “Modern Ireland 1600-1972” open on my lap.

“The Irish approach amounted to pro-British neutrality: secret intelligence and strategic liaisons were made with Britain and the US, not often realized at the time or since.”

“The Reich still retained a strong diplomatic and intelligence presence: ‘German spies in Ireland’ have entered the folklore. Their activities, however, were more or less confined to inept liaison with the IRA, whom de Valera had defined as traitors to the Irish State in his 1939 Treason Bill.”

“After America’s entry into the war, Ireland became less strategically important and Irish neutrality became more openly benevolent; from 1942 stranded Allied air-crews were sent straight to Northern Ireland, while Germans were interned.”

Reactions: bbrown

wbcbus

Oct 8, 2021
Just two thoughts:

1. It's not my business
2. I'm glad she has health care, and I think everybody should

Just one thought on why it's also not my business, but I commented that I find it odd they won't say what type she has (or Charles).

They chose this life. Any born into it can abdicate and rightfully ask for privacy. Or Kate could not marry into it. But once you choose that life, in the words of Spider-Man, with great power comes great responsibility.

When they generically say "cancer," does any funding for cancer research see a significant spike? Does anyone learn anything from it that might help others? I'd argue not. With the influence they have and the ability to reach hundreds of millions of people, they should use that pulpit for good whenever possible. And if Kate has, say, colon cancer, then her saying that could lead to a significant increase in funding towards developing a cure for that cancer. It could educate people on the symptoms, and increase early testing. It could save many lives. So I'm just not moved by their "privacy" desires when they chose this life and could do something good.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
I have my copy of R. F. Foster’s “Modern Ireland 1600-1972” open on my lap.

“The Irish approach amounted to pro-British neutrality: secret intelligence and strategic liaisons were made with Britain and the US, not often realized at the time or since.”

“The Reich still retained a strong diplomatic and intelligence presence: ‘German spies in Ireland’ have entered the folklore. Their activities, however, were more or less confined to inept liaison with the IRA, whom de Valera had defined as traitors to the Irish State in his 1939 Treason Bill.”

“After America’s entry into the war, Ireland became less strategically important and Irish neutrality became more openly benevolent; from 1942 stranded Allied air-crews were sent straight to Northern Ireland, while Germans were interned.”
Interesting spin…not what I have read from multiple sources…too much gray area with Western civilization on the the line for me… but to each her/his own.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Just one thought on why it's also not my business, but I commented that I find it odd they won't say what type she has (or Charles).

They chose this life. Any born into it can abdicate and rightfully ask for privacy. Or Kate could not marry into it. But once you choose that life, in the words of Spider-Man, with great power comes great responsibility.

When they generically say "cancer," does any funding for cancer research see a significant spike? Does anyone learn anything from it that might help others? I'd argue not. With the influence they have and the ability to reach hundreds of millions of people, they should use that pulpit for good whenever possible. And if Kate has, say, colon cancer, then her saying that could lead to a significant increase in funding towards developing a cure for that cancer. It could educate people on the symptoms, and increase early testing. It could save many lives. So I'm just not moved by their "privacy" desires when they chose this life and could do something good.
I generally agree with this in regard to royalty, politicians, and other celebrity trash. But when a human being is facing a life-threatening illness, I think we might pretend that we're human too, maybe even showing a little mercy to their young children and not hound them until they are better- if they get better,

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Interesting spin…not what I have read from multiple sources…too much gray area with Western civilization on the the line for me… but to each her/his own.
The way the English treated the Irish was reprehensible for centuries. Staying neutral was the best that you could expect.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
When I visited Ireland a couple years ago, I learned just how much de Valera was despised, even now. I believe, without much evidence other than a gut feeling, that if Collins had not died there would now be an united Ireland.

Here’s a very good book on Irish history from the fifties until now. My God, the corruption in government, unreal. “We Don’t Know Ourselves,” by Fintan O’Toole. (Full disclosure: my grandmother was an O’Toole.)

Last edited:

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
and the Royal Crown?

royal crown vintage GIF by Re Modernist
I do think she is sicker than the story we are getting but then again even acknowledging cancer is cutting edge for the British royalty.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
When I visited Ireland a couple years ago, I learned just how much de Valera was despised, even now. I believe, without much evidence other than a gut feeling, that if Collins had not died there would now be an united Ireland.

Here’s a very good book on Irish history from the fifties until now. My God, the corruption in government, unreal. “We Don’t Know Ourselves,” by Fintan O’Toole. (Full disclosure: my grandmother was an O’Toole.)
I was today years old when I learned that the first use of the phrase “the walking dead” was in “The Playboy of the Western World,” by the Irish author John Millington Synge, 1907. Cool.