Time for an investigation into the NCAA Baseball committee

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
I agree with you that they were bad losses at that time, but I think either 2 or 3 of those ended up quad 3 losses. Still bad for State, but not as bad as quad 4 losses.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
five quad 4 losses. that's what did it. don't go conspiracy hunting
That definitely seems to be the case. I’ve always wondered what’s worse not having enough good wins or having too many bad losses. We had plenty of good wins and ECU didn’t really have that many… but we had plenty of bad losses. And that seemed to matter more to the committee.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Shows me being a champion matters. Can’t say I argue with that. It’s likely we were 2-3 spots below hosting if not farther.

Oct 7, 2022
The selection criteria being mailable is what has people pissed. There’s no consistency, like most things concerning academia.

To steal from North Dallas Forty, “When I call it a game, you call it a business. When you call it a game, I call it a business “.

Nov 20, 2023
THAT needs a coaching fix.
Exactly, By god you had better bet so or I won’t support the baseball team with a single cent of my $ any further and Honestly I’ll be pretty heated next year if they don’t double down and do what it takes to be one of the hosting teams. Whatever it takes.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
five quad 4 losses. that's what did it. don't go conspiracy hunting
I've never paid attention to committee selection criteria, but that seems like a very poor one to use for baseball. Any good team can be pitching its worst pitcher against a poor teams best pitcher, and a loss in that situation is not very indicative. Plus baseball is very streaky. Series losses would seem to be a better metric.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
So now we are complaining about **** that hasn’t happened yet? Maybe wait until we see how this season finishes before complaining about next year??
Complaining?

We did not host this year

our roster will be worse next year but you think there is a chance?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Shows me being a champion matters. Can’t say I argue with that. It’s likely we were 2-3 spots below hosting if not farther.
It shouldn’t matter, when it comes to hosting and top seeds. Conference champions are arbitrary, since not all conferences are created equal. It’s an antiquated way of thinking.

That said, I don’t mind letting conference tournament champions get an auto bid. Makes them relevant, and frankly, it’s fun.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What Clown Kendall Rogers is. Just a joke of a human

Funny watching Kendall stump for baseball simply because he covers it.

I do think Bo is right in the idea that baseball needs juice in a major way. Maybe the committee is trying to do that by making it regional - because the power is concentrating in the SEC right now. Doesn’t seem to hurt football I guess.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It shouldn’t matter, when it comes to hosting and top seeds. Conference champions are arbitrary, since not all conferences are created equal. It’s an antiquated way of thinking.

That said, I don’t mind letting conference tournament champions get an auto bid. Makes them relevant, and frankly, it’s fun.
When splitting hairs between bubble teams everything matters. Had there been a clear cut choice it probably doesn’t.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is a time it should be all about the money. You want to grow the sport. You put the games in the best stadiums.
I think so too Bruce. You need fans and big stadiums. Not over-the-top woke-level ‘fairness’. While we certainly blew our chances, the NCAA has as well.

They are thinking too much.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
That definitely seems to be the case. I’ve always wondered what’s worse not having enough good wins or having too many bad losses. We had plenty of good wins and ECU didn’t really have that many… but we had plenty of bad losses. And that seemed to matter more to the committee.
Seems what mattered most to the committee was who was on the committee. Stricklin got Florida into the tourney, the FSU guy got FSU the last national seed, the ECU guy got ECU the last hosting spot. When the whole selection process is so selective it lends itself to committee bias.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
Exactly, By god you had better bet so or I won’t support the baseball team with a single cent of my $ any further and Honestly I’ll be pretty heated next year if they don’t double down and do what it takes to be one of the hosting teams. Whatever it takes.
Well, you could stop giving a single cent more now and save your $$. Seems that would be the prudent thing to do cause Lem will be our coach after next year, too. Just think of all the stuff you could buy by saving ahead of time. It would be a nice thing to let your chairback or other special seating go (if you have that) so the next person on the waiting list could finally have a seat or two or ever how many you have.

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
This is a time it should be all about the money. You want to grow the sport. You put the games in the best stadiums.
Bruce pardon my ignorance here, but back when you played baseball at State, teams had to bid to be regional host sites. Is that correct? If that’s correct, then what made the NCAA move away from that particular model? I have no issues with us being a 2 seed, but we definitely would have secured a hosting site for regional play if it went to bid. In theory we could have been a 2 seed at home, and I don’t think there would have been issues with that at all. I just think kind of like you in that this is a time for college baseball to put their best foot forward, and you do that by showcasing your best venues.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Bruce pardon my ignorance here, but back when you played baseball at State, teams had to bid to be regional host sites. Is that correct? If that’s correct, then what made the NCAA move away from that particular model? I have no issues with us being a 2 seed, but we definitely would have secured a hosting site for regional play if it went to bid. In theory we could have been a 2 seed at home, and I don’t think there would have been issues with that at all. I just think kind of like you in that this is a time for college baseball to put their best foot forward, and you do that by showcasing your best venues.
So the teams with the best stadiums host, everyone else is SOL

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
You should have minimums of some sort. If a venue can only hold 5,000 patrons, then you are losing up to 10,000 tickets that could have been sold at a better stadium like the Dude or Alex Box. They would also have a chance to host it at a local neutral site like a minor league park that can hold 10,000+.

Here is the info on Virginia's field:

First opened on Feb. 16, 2002, Ted Davenport Field at Disharoon Park is one of the premier college baseball facilities in the country. The stadium features a seating capacity of 5,919 (third largest on-campus stadium in the ACC and field dimensions of 332-370-404-372-332 (left-right).

The ballpark includes a canopied grandstand with nearly 3,000 chairback seats encircling the playing surface, left field bleacher seats, grass hillside seating down the left-field line, 140 permanent field level seats equipped with a lounge and seven suites available for lease by fans and corporate sponsors.

I think there are minimums to host Basketball Tournament games. To host a Superbowl you have to have so many hotel rooms available in an area. So giving precedent to the venue is not unheard of.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
I personally don’t have any issues with that as long as you’ve made the tournament and can provide the teams and fans an outstanding experience. I certainly don’t think Dudy Noble Field was built to collect the cobwebs and dirt dauber nests this time of year, do you?

Nov 20, 2023
Well, you could stop giving a single cent more now and save your $$. Seems that would be the prudent thing to do cause Lem will be our coach after next year, too. Just think of all the stuff you could buy by saving ahead of time. It would be a nice thing to let your chairback or other special seating go (if you have that) so the next person on the waiting list could finally have a seat or two or ever how many you have.
Guess we will see your probably right but l’ll say this, what I mean is if our University doesn’t show more of an emphasis on lighting a fire under him and do anything or whatever it’s gonna take to absolutely maximize how good of a baseball team under whoever it may be. Preferably not Lem unless he guides us correctly and makes sure we are at the peak we can absolutely be at like we saw the hunger he really had earlier on. Maybe he’s getting it back this year I don’t know but I want to see potential maximized or us living up to our potential at least. I love Mississippi State so much and MSU baseball and just about would give more or any more that I can if I can tell the University is recognizing and doing everything possible. I think the truth about Lem will be revealed in the next few years as far as his ambition and how good of a coach be is when we have a healthy team and a team expected to do well. You made me think about it a little bit differently but still I don’t know how long to give him and guess I won’t know for a year or two. Just feel like we should almost always be one of the top 3 or even 4 in sec baseball with the exception of a down year here or there occasionally is gonna happen.

Nov 20, 2023
I know you aren’t talking to me but do you remember the last Super Regional under Polk when we ended up hosting Clemson? I do remember them talk about bidding for who hosted it and this was 07 when they said we outbid them for it. When did the bidding thing change or does it ever go down to a bid under any circumstances any more what so ever? Just wondering also I meant to quote your post not reply but oh well. Anyone know? Like how about with Supers

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I personally don’t have any issues with that as long as you’ve made the tournament and can provide the teams and fans an outstanding experience. I certainly don’t think Dudy Noble Field was built to collect the cobwebs and dirt dauber nests this time of year, do you?
Then win the games so you are deserving of a host spot.

Of course you have no issues with it because we are one of those that would benefit from said rule. But it’s a dumb rule that would do nothing to grow the game… again it would be the equal of saying let’s play all the football games in the best stadiums and where there are the best game day experience. If that was the case there wouldn’t be very many football games in Starkville

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I know you aren’t talking to me but do you remember the last Super Regional under Polk when we ended up hosting Clemson? I do remember them talk about bidding for who hosted it and this was 07 when they said we outbid them for it. When did the bidding thing change or does it ever go down to a bid under any circumstances any more what so ever? Just wondering also I meant to quote your post not reply but oh well. Anyone know? Like how about with Supers
Teams outbidding others for host sites went way about 25 years ago. The 07 deal was due to having two 2 seeds win regionals so it was a toss up. If you want to grow the game, you don’t keep giving it to the biggest stadiums.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You should have minimums of some sort. If a venue can only hold 5,000 patrons, then you are losing up to 10,000 tickets that could have been sold at a better stadium like the Dude or Alex Box. They would also have a chance to host it at a local neutral site like a minor league park that can hold 10,000+.

Here is the info on Virginia's field:

First opened on Feb. 16, 2002, Ted Davenport Field at Disharoon Park is one of the premier college baseball facilities in the country. The stadium features a seating capacity of 5,919 (third largest on-campus stadium in the ACC and field dimensions of 332-370-404-372-332 (left-right).

The ballpark includes a canopied grandstand with nearly 3,000 chairback seats encircling the playing surface, left field bleacher seats, grass hillside seating down the left-field line, 140 permanent field level seats equipped with a lounge and seven suites available for lease by fans and corporate sponsors.

I think there are minimums to host Basketball Tournament games. To host a Superbowl you have to have so many hotel rooms available in an area. So giving precedent to the venue is not unheard of.
You want to change the stadium requirements then ok. I can somewhat support that. But you guys are crazy to think that you tune in to watch a game on tv to see how many people are at the dude or the box.

I also think schools like southern miss and la tech the last few years that have hosted and sold out and had people sitting in the trees to watch games was just as cool and as beneficial for the game… and those teams that showed up to play in that environment was just as good if not better for growing the game.

if you want to make it “fair” get rid of the host sites. Find old minor league parks in true regional sites and play the tournaments there…. However none here would be ok with that either.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Then win the games so you are deserving of a host spot.

Of course you have no issues with it because we are one of those that would benefit from said rule. But it’s a dumb rule that would do nothing to grow the game… again it would be the equal of saying let’s play all the football games in the best stadiums and where there are the best game day experience. If that was the case there wouldn’t be very many post season football games in Starkville
FTFY.
It would be fine, just like it is for football and basketball. Makes zero sense to not take stadium size into account. If you want to host, you need to provide a decent stadium, whether that’s the school’s or a nearby minor league stadium.

Nov 20, 2023
Teams outbidding others for host sites went way about 25 years ago. The 07 deal was due to having two 2 seeds win regionals so it was a toss up. If you want to grow the game, you don’t keep giving it to the biggest stadiums.
Gotcha thanks for that explanation