Top replacements for Lemonis

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
He won a natty. Stop.

He can coach, can’t recruit. Case closed. The evidence is abundantly clear. We don’t have good talent on this team.
A coach that "can coach" doesn't field a team for three years in a row that is fundamentally inept. That alone kills your argument. He won here just like he did at Indiana. With someone else's recruits and coaching. He just sat back and enjoyed the ride. No different than Henderson riding it to the cws when Cann got canned

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Any list that includes Cannizzaro and Mingione is laughable.
BUT, Haire and Butch Thompson is 👍
Godwin isn’t leaving ECU to go anywhere unless they fire him and that ain’t happening unless they tank for 2-3 season like you Miss State baseball program has.
Mingione has swagger. And maybe to the point it rubs some people the wrong way. Butch seems a bit more laid back to me. Nick will get up in your face quick and challenge you to see how good a player you want to be. His teams take on that personality too. In a way, I kind of like that. Sort of a quiet toughness that goes unmistaken.

Last edited:

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
I can tell yall with confidence that we may not have one of the biggest NIL pots for baseball but we aren’t getting beat by NIL and it has nothing to do with any of the disaster happening so let’s move on from that. This is an Occams Razor situation. Our coach has failed in every aspect of his job except T Shirt Distribution.
Yep....we don't have NIL issues....you can never have too much NIL ...but that's not our issue with the baseball program.

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
A&M has the most NIL money for baseball and football. State picked up a couple of pitchers in the portal from schools I didn't know existed.
LSU has the highest baseball NIL...as Kendall Rogers said few months ago..."No one is near LSU in baseball NIL...they are the Dodgers and Yankees".Now...if Texas AM or Texas wanted to be they could have the most but I have a hard time seeing that level of commitment to a sport that doesn't make lots of money for the school.

Dakota Jordan isn't playing for free here and it wasn't cheap to get him back....he was the second biggest bat that went into the portal behind Montgomery.

Cupp turned down top 5rd money to come to campus...he's not playing for free and it wasn't cheap to get him here....same for Cijntje and Loftin.Ledbetter wasn't cheap either.

Last edited:

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Mingione has swagger. And maybe to the point it rubs some people the wrong way. Butch seems a bit more laid back to me. Nick will get up in your face quick and challenge you to see how good a player you want to be. His teams take on that personality too. In a way, I kind of like that. Sort of a quiet toughness that goes unmistaken.
It's a big Hell No on Ming and honestly, Butch would be the emergency guy.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Dakota Jordan isn't playing for free here and it wasn't cheap to get him back....he was the second biggest bat that went into the portal behind Montgomery.

Cupp turned down top 5rd money to come to campus...he's not playing for free and it wasn't cheap to get him here....same for Cijntje and Loftin.Ledbetter wasn't cheap either.
Seems to me everyone was convinced that Lemonis would suck this year - why did so many commit to these NIL purchases?

Hmmmmmm

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
LSU has the highest baseball NIL...as Kendall Rogers said few months ago..."No one is near LSU in baseball NIL...they are the Dodgers and Yankees".Now...if Texas AM or Texas wanted to be they could have the most but I have a hard time seeing that level of commitment to a sport that doesn't make lots of money for the school.

Congrats. And while deserved a pat on the back for getting those players here. Tennessee has players paid this much and more for their team as has Florida, Texas AM, and Arkansas... and of course LSU

I dont know what your definition of cheap is. I know the going rate for high end SEC baseball talent. If your paying Cijinte close to that, your overpaying. Sunday starters and projected 20th round draft picks arent worth that type of money. So if we are doling out that.. perhaps thats the problem.

Jordan was so heavily discounted coming, and was low balled, thats why he entered the portal. When he found out what others were getting NIL wise. Thats the rumor mill and I believe the story. Also Jordan wasnt the second biggest bat that went into the portal. Do a quick fact check. Florida SS, Shelton from Alabama and a few others are ahead of Jordan both numbers wise and value wise.

As mentioned before, your facts on what happened with Montgomery arnet accurate. TexasAM reached a little deeper into their pockets and made an offer that was significantly better. We thought we had him, and couldnt/didnt want to match what AM offered late.

We also missed out and continue to miss out on the big names in the portal. You mentioned blaming on LEMO. The above schools have outbid us for several big name that would be difference makers.

When LSU, TxAM, Ark want a player. They go get him. Tenn is right there too. I've been told Florida is good at retaining players already on roster, or giving them performance raises so to speak to keep them around. Which from an outsider view makes sense. We arent at that level yet or perhaps we have the money just havent figured out the best way to use it. One or the other.

I say this to say, perhaps the NIL isnt the problem. I'm not arguing that. But its being lead to believe here that our NIL should give us an advantage and it doesnt and hasnt. NIL wise there is LSU, then a group of schools that are below them. Then the next tier. We are closer to the next tier, than we are LSU. Those are facts I'm told, and I believe.

Also if we are giving out top NIL money to Loftin, Ledbetter, Cupp, and Cjinite-- we arent spending money wisely.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Congrats. And while deserved a pat on the back for getting those players here. Tennessee has players paid this much and more for their team as has Florida, Texas AM, and Arkansas... and of course LSU

I dont know what your definition of cheap is. I know the going rate for high end SEC baseball talent. If your paying Cijinte close to that, your overpaying. Sunday starters and projected 20th round draft picks arent worth that type of money. So if we are doling out that.. perhaps thats the problem.

Jordan was so heavily discounted coming, and was low balled, thats why he entered the portal. When he found out what others were getting NIL wise. Thats the rumor mill and I believe the story. Also Jordan wasnt the second biggest bat that went into the portal. Do a quick fact check. Florida SS, Shelton from Alabama and a few others are ahead of Jordan both numbers wise and value wise.

As mentioned before, your facts on what happened with Montgomery arnet accurate. TexasAM reached a little deeper into their pockets and made an offer that was significantly better. We thought we had him, and couldnt/didnt want to match what AM offered late.

We also missed out and continue to miss out on the big names in the portal. You mentioned blaming on LEMO. The above schools have outbid us for several big name that would be difference makers.

When LSU, TxAM, Ark want a player. They go get him. Tenn is right there too. I've been told Florida is good at retaining players already on roster, or giving them performance raises so to speak to keep them around. Which from an outsider view makes sense. We arent at that level yet or perhaps we have the money just havent figured out the best way to use it. One or the other.

I say this to say, perhaps the NIL isnt the problem. I'm not arguing that. But its being lead to believe here that our NIL should give us an advantage and it doesnt and hasnt. NIL wise there is LSU, then a group of schools that are below them. Then the next tier. We are closer to the next tier, than we are LSU. Those are facts I'm told, and I believe.

Also if we are giving out top NIL money to Loftin, Ledbetter, Cupp, and Cjinite-- we arent spending money wisely.
Montgomery went to aTm because of an assistant coach he knew. Not NIL.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Montgomery went to aTm because of an assistant coach he knew. Not NIL.
Yep. He was comfortable with an assistant coach there who use to head coach in the Jackson area that he knew. But he also got paid more. Was very much on the fence until TxAm upped the ante.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Yep. He was comfortable with an assistant coach there who use to head coach in the Jackson area that he knew. But he also got paid more. Was very much on the fence until TxAm upped the ante.
No, his hitting instructor is right down the road and help facilitate that move and with his dad's pull. He got paid, but we offered massive money for him and the money wasn't the problem.
Nobody wants to come play for a coach that's getting fired. We got very little big action from top guys like Shelton etc. We made a run at some pitching and it didn't work out either. Bottom line, is you aren't getting guys to come play for a bad team and coach. They want to win when they only have a year left in most cases.

Reactions: 8dog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No, his hitting instructor is right down the road and help facilitate that move and with his dad's pull. He got paid, but we offered massive money for him and the money wasn't the problem.
Nobody wants to come play for a coach that's getting fired. We got very little big action from top guys like Shelton etc. We made a run at some pitching and it didn't work out either. Bottom line, is you aren't getting guys to come play for a bad team and coach. They want to win when they only have a year left in most cases.
Nothing you post makes sense.

First of all, you agreed that it was all about that aTm staffer.

Secondly, you said nobody wants to come play for a coach that is getting fired if they have one year left to play. Well the coach had one year too.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Curious, doesnt Butch Thompson have ties to Auburn? I thought he did.....or is he a MSU alum or from Ms? He would be my first call....did he get a call when we hired Lemonis? I have a friend who's kid is being recruited by everybody and he says of all the SEC coaches they speak to, BT is the man....

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Again I'm not sure what you guys are calling "massive money" I know what high end players cost NIL wise. TxAm met his demands, and we didnt meet the demands. Maybe it was more money we had to offer more than what TxAm was offering to make up for the lack of comfort, and we decided not to go there. Again goes back to if LSU, Ark, Tenn, wants a guy-- they dig a little deeper and find that money.. we didnt. The kid entered the portal, there was a number that would have gotten him in maroon and white. We couldnt deliver that. Period. End of story. Truth.

The lack of traction again I cant speak too. Again maybe we have tons of NIL and just arent spending it well or smartly. But top guys are going elsewhere, and some of the guys we coveted, got better offers. They could have gotten better situations as well, but they also got better offers.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Curious, doesnt Butch Thompson have ties to Auburn? I thought he did.....or is he a MSU alum or from Ms? He would be my first call....did he get a call when we hired Lemonis? I have a friend who's kid is being recruited by everybody and he says of all the SEC coaches they speak to, BT is the man....
Butch is from Amory / Aberdeen, and is an alum of Birmingham Southern.

He did spent 3 years as an assistant at Auburn before Cohen brought him on in 2009. Before 2009, he spent his entire assistant coaching career in Alabama, minus a 3-year stint at UGA.

So, its not really a Cohen situation where we can just magically expect to bring him in as HC. His ties to Auburn are now much deeper than any ties he had to MSU, and his ties to the state of Alabama in general are much deeper than any ties he ever had to Mississippi, even though he is from there. Not saying it would be impossible to pull him, but it would be extremely difficult.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Nothing you post makes sense.

First of all, you agreed that it was all about that aTm staffer.

Secondly, you said nobody wants to come play for a coach that is getting fired if they have one year left to play. Well the coach had one year too.
Two different people bud. And not every signee from the portal is a draft guy or Sr. But those one year guys aren't coming to a damn rebuild after seeing the last two years. Saw it with football too.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Again I'm not sure what you guys are calling "massive money" I know what high end players cost NIL wise. TxAm met his demands, and we didnt meet the demands. Maybe it was more money we had to offer more than what TxAm was offering to make up for the lack of comfort, and we decided not to go there. Again goes back to if LSU, Ark, Tenn, wants a guy-- they dig a little deeper and find that money.. we didnt. The kid entered the portal, there was a number that would have gotten him in maroon and white. We couldnt deliver that. Period. End of story. Truth.

The lack of traction again I cant speak too. Again maybe we have tons of NIL and just arent spending it well or smartly. But top guys are going elsewhere, and some of the guys we coveted, got better offers. They could have gotten better situations as well, but they also got better offers.
Our NIL is good, really good. But both LSU and FL are bigger. A&M is bigger if they want to be.
Nobody is saying ours is the biggest. But it all doesn't always come down to the money. Heck, we saw Skenes donate a big portion of his money last year. But I'll say this, schools all over are starting to see the NIL drain. Schools are shooting for one or two big seasons and then having to raise more again after they deplete it. The only in we had with Montgomery was one part of his family and that wasn't enough. Our ability to pull him was overstated by some folks too.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Our NIL is good, really good. But both LSU and FL are bigger. A&M is bigger if they want to be.
Nobody is saying ours is the biggest. But it all doesn't always come down to the money. Heck, we saw Skenes donate a big portion of his money last year. But I'll say this, schools all over are starting to see the NIL drain. Schools are shooting for one or two big seasons and then having to raise more again after they deplete it. The only in we had with Montgomery was one part of his family and that wasn't enough. Our ability to pull him was overstated by some folks too.
acutally someone else in the thread did say Florida and AM didnt have the NIL budget we do. UT's and ARK's are bigger as well.

Again no one has argued we dont have a good NIL. But its not an elite one, and its not one that has served as an advantage for us. Like some of the other schools mentioned above.

Skenes got enough money where what he donated was pennies on the dollar... as Im sure you know.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Butch is from Amory / Aberdeen, and is an alum of Birmingham Southern.

He did spent 3 years as an assistant at Auburn before Cohen brought him on in 2009. Before 2009, he spent his entire assistant coaching career in Alabama, minus a 3-year stint at UGA.

So, its not really a Cohen situation where we can just magically expect to bring him in as HC. His ties to Auburn are now much deeper than any ties he had to MSU, and his ties to the state of Alabama in general are much deeper than any ties he ever had to Mississippi, even though he is from there. Not saying it would be impossible to pull him, but it would be extremely difficult.
I would support hiring Butch Thompson. I don't know the other guys because I'm not well-versed in college baseball. At least we know already that we do need a coach. We should not have to wait any longer to start looking because I can't see how he can bring the ship above the water line at this point.

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023

Florida's baseball NIL isn't anything to write home about...they talk about it on their site a lot they have other things that help them.I'm going to take the word of someone who dealt with Montgomery when he was in HS and gave updates on the paid board during his portal recruitment..his best NIL was from State per Montgomery's parents.Jordan was the 2nd best portal bat based on draft rankings.NIL was not the reason he went into the portal.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Florida's baseball NIL isn't anything to write home about...they talk about it on their site a lot they have other things that help them.I'm going to take the word of someone who dealt with Montgomery when he was in HS and gave updates on the paid board during his portal recruitment..his best NIL was from State per Montgomery's parents.Jordan was the 2nd best portal bat based on draft rankings.NIL was not the reason he went into the portal.
so why did jordan go into the portal?

Not going to argue about Montgomery. I trust what ive heard more-so than someone on a paid message board.

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
so why did jordan go into the portal?
A former handler was po over a couple things with Lemonis that dealt with a few former players of his... that's the reason Jordan went into the portal.It had nothing to do with NIL...though we added more to his NIL from what it was but that was going to happen anyway.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
A former handler was po over a couple things with Lemonis that dealt with a few former players of his... that's the reason Jordan went into the portal.It had nothing to do with NIL...though we up his NIL from what it was but that was going to happen anyway.
the NIL went way up. You dont leave and come back that quickly if money didnt talk.

Im told he was told he was going to the a number... and we basically tried to crawfish a little.. he entered the portal.. and poof got what he wanted.

Not sure anyone enters the portal over a handler, then returns so quickly. Doesnt add up.

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
the NIL went way up. You dont leave and come back that quickly if money didnt talk.
It did go up ..but that was going to happen even if he didn't get pressured into going into the portal.He already had a solid NIL out of HS...he turned down being a top 5rd pick so he was going to have a good NIL from the start.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
It did go up ..but that was going to happen even if he didn't get pressured into going into the portal.He already had a solid NIL out of HS...he turned down being a top 5rd pick so he was going to have a good NIL from the start.
again the handler bit makes zero sense. It was about $$$. He was given a deal out of HS and told if he performed it would be X. He peformed. We balked. He entered and came back only when he was paid like the best player on the team

We paid quickly probably because we knew we'd get outbid. Smart by us.

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
again the handler bit makes zero sense. It was about $$$. Basically he wanted to be the highest NIL on the team. We balked. He entered and came back only when he was paid.

We paid quickly probably because we knew we'd get outbid. Smart by us.
The handler is 100% why he went into the portal...Jordan was probably headed to UGA with his buddy if he stayed in the portal.We were going to move Jordan's NIL up either way.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The handler is 100% why he went into the portal...Jordan was probably headed to UGA with his buddy if he stayed in the portal.
Guess i'd have to know what your definition of "handler" is. And how it all got fixed so quickly.

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
Guess i'd have to know what your definition of "handler" is. And how it all got fixed so quickly.
The guy who promoted him in HS and was the middle man to all the pro teams...also pushed Jordan to sign pro out of HS.It got fixed because Jordan really didn't want to leave.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The guy who promoted him in HS and was the middle man to all the pro teams...also pushed Jordan to sign pro out of HS.It got fixed because Jordan really didn't want to leave.
and b/c Jordan got the money he wanted and thought he deserved.

Interesting info. Not sure I buy it completely. Think it was an ego and money thing. Makes more sense than a handler, and its what i was told. But interesting take for sure.

7Dust

Sep 1, 2023
and b/c Jordan got the money he wanted and thought he deserved.

Interesting info. Not sure I buy it completely. Think it was an ego and money thing. Makes more sense than a handler, and its what i was told. But interesting take for sure.
You missed the whole Dulin's issue with Jordan?The person who told you about Jordan left that big piece of info out?Because that's who talked and pushed Jordan into going into the portal and was working his portal recruitment with other schools.Jordan's NIL was going up either way...that's the deal we made with him out of HS and the reason he didn't get drafted high and sign pro.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
You missed the whole Dulin's issue with Jordan?The person who told you about Jordan left that big piece of info out?Because that's who talked and pushed Jordan into going into the portal and was working his portal recruitment with other schools.Jordan's NIL was going up either way...that's the deal we made with him out of HS and the reason he didn't get drafted high and sign pro.
No I follow that. What I don’t get is how a sour relationship with a handler makes one enter the portal then it all gets fixed very quickly.

Also not arguing he wasn’t on a good nil to start with.

was told it was more like: he thought he was getting this based on performance. He knew what others were getting. He knew what other offers were out there. We didn’t want to go that high. Assuming to leave some money for others. He enters. He gets his money and returns.

if money didn’t fix the sour relationship what did