Underrated Guitar Players - Thoughts and Nominees anyone

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
One of the first run of the mill test tube boy bands. They suck and if they didn't tell you to like them you wouldn't. Just like the Beatles.

KOTR

Joined Dec 1, 2019
Jan 19, 2022
What are the criteria? Are we talking about actual ability and musicianship, or is the main focus on the ability to sound impressive and flashy?

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
One of my music groups On fb got into this greatest guitarist thread and i’ve never seen so much bickering back and forth, like they were talking politics, really entertaining! There are so many good guitarist out there, but it’s cool to see some names you’re not so familiar with! Sadler Vaden is a good one from SC and another noname is albert lee from emmy lou’s hot band!

Swifty

Jan 21, 2022
FIRST POST!

Underrated/Underappreciated off the top of my head...

Ty Tabor (King's X)
Ian Thornley (Big Wreck)
Steve Lukather (Toto, tons of solo artists)
David Grissom (John Mellencamp, Storyville)
Keith Scott (Bryan Adams)
Tim Pierce (studio cat for everyone under the sun)
Larry Chaney (Edwin McCain)
Lincoln Brewster

Go Cocks!

• Love
Reactions: Personalfowl

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Most don't consider acoustic players (unfortunately) but one great guitarist
Tommy Emanuel

On the jazz side
Pat Metheny
I was into The Pat Metheny group in the 80's. He did play some acoustic guitar but usually ran his guitar through a lot of stuff. Those "trumpet" solos were done on his guitar.
I think Frank Zappa was underrated.

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
Just thought of another one
Bill Nelson - Be Bop Deluxe

I didn't even think of Be Bop Deluxe! I wore Sunburst Finish vinyl out. That guy could shred a guitar or make it sing.

Based on some others you named have you ever listened to Acoustic Alchemy? Against the Grain is a favorite I still listen to.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022

I didn't even think of Be Bop Deluxe! I wore Sunburst Finish vinyl out. That guy could shred a guitar or make it sing.

Based on some others you named have you ever listened to Acoustic Alchemy? Against the Grain is a favorite I still listen to.
Acoustic Alchemy is one of my favorites.
The first time I heard Mr. Chow way back in '87 I was a fan. Their version of the Dave Brubeck signature Take 5 is superb. If you're going to redo a classic but still make it your own, you have to be extremely confident, talented and gifted to make it work.
It worked.

Reactions: Cackmandu

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
FIRST POST!

Underrated/Underappreciated off the top of my head...

Ty Tabor (King's X)
Ian Thornley (Big Wreck)
Steve Lukather (Toto, tons of solo artists)
David Grissom (John Mellencamp, Storyville)
Keith Scott (Bryan Adams)
Tim Pierce (studio cat for everyone under the sun)
Larry Chaney (Edwin McCain)
Lincoln Brewster

Go Cocks!

It was a short run, but Big Wreck was a heck of a band, and Thornley a great guitarist.

Swifty

Jan 21, 2022

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Are you aware of all of their material?
1997 - In Loving Memory of...
2001 - The Pleasure and the Greed
2004 - Come Again (Thornley)
2009 - Tiny Pictures (Thornley)
2012 - Albatross
2014 - Ghosts
2017 - Grace Street
2019 - ... But For The Sun
2023 - 7.1, 7.2, 7.3

(112) Big Wreck - Ghosts (LIVE at the Suhr Factory Party 2015) - YouTube
^^^Must See TV ^^^

Im familiar with their later stuff, but they couldn’t keep up the momentum from those first two albums. Seems like later they were trying to make a “Big Wreck” album - but you can only get so much juice out out of a certain sound. There were some good songs here and there for sure - but they’ve pretty much been exiled back to Canada for the last decade plus.

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
Just guitar? I assume bass guitar would have to be a different discussion.

Swifty

Jan 21, 2022
Im familiar with their later stuff, but they couldn’t keep up the momentum from those first two albums. Seems like later they were trying to make a “Big Wreck” album - but you can only get so much juice out out of a certain sound. There were some good songs here and there for sure - but they’ve pretty much been exiled back to Canada for the last decade plus.
Somewhat, but I saw them here in Atlanta back in November of 2019, then the world shut down and they don't swing back through until earlier this year. I saw them in Atlanta again back in June. Both times were like religious experiences. They're so good. Sooooo effing good.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Somewhat, but I saw them here in Atlanta back in November of 2019, then the world shut down and they don't swing back through until earlier this year. I saw them in Atlanta again back in June. Both times were like religious experiences. They're so good. Sooooo effing good.

I will definitely have to look up their tour schedule. The last time I looked they had nothing down here. I would definitely go see them in Atlanta.

HWGcock

Joined Nov 2, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Feb 2, 2022
I guess if your last names Vaughn you can sling! Have you heard marty stuart and the fabulous superlatives new album altitude, some good old school country rock!
Yes I have and don’t miss a live show in driving distance. Most underrated live band out there right now.

Reactions: Cackmandu

Latest posts