Underrated Guitar Players - Thoughts and Nominees anyone

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
I’d take The Edge from U2. I don’t think he’s ever considered one of the top guitarists of all-time - however, he created his own, unique sound that is distinctively U2 (which was the biggest rock band in the world for several decades). I give a lot of credit to musicians that can come up with something new.

Reactions: Prestonyte

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
Buckingham is a great choice. I would also go with Michael Campbell (Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers). Just has incredible tone that captures the spirit of the 60's.
Agree, Campbell is my number 2 on this list. Have you listened to any of his "surf music"? Definitely spirit of the 60's. He and Petty were a great team and heart and soul of the incredible Heartbreakers music catalog.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
I’d take The Edge from U2. I don’t think he’s ever considered one of the top guitarists of all-time - however, he created his own, unique sound that is distinctively U2 (which was the biggest rock band in the world for several decades). I give a lot of credit to musicians that can come up with something new.
definitely a unique and distinctive sound

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Tops for me is Lindsey Buckingham
Self taught, finger picking style (never uses a pick) and one hell of a guitarist in my opinion!
Just listen all the way through and tell me he didn't put all his emotion into it.
Fleetwood Mac- I'm So afraid (Live from Boston) - YouTube
Excellent choice.
2nd on my list is Eric Johnson. This guy is just a consummate musician.
3rd on my list is Mark Knopfler. I just don't think he gets enough recognition.

Carolina Doc

Joined Aug 16, 2019
Jan 25, 2022
Agree, Campbell is my number 2 on this list. Have you listened to any of his "surf music"? Definitely spirit of the 60's. He and Petty were a great team and heart and soul of the incredible Heartbreakers music catalog.
Ha, yes! The Blue Stingrays. Their cover of "Goldfinger" gives me chills.

Reactions: Prestonyte

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
Many of the hair metal players who were a dime a dozen in the mid-late '80's. A whole generation of great guitar players were basically dumped when grunge took over. :mad:

Vito Bratta of White Lion is one of them (check solo @ 2:37)

Reactions: Personalfowl

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
Many of the hair metal players who were a dime a dozen in the mid-late '80's. A whole generation of great guitar players were basically dumped when grunge took over. :mad:

Vito Bratta of White Lion is one of them (check solo @ 2:37)

Excellent. I remember Bratta was being compared to EVH at the height of WL's popularity. I played some of their music for my 18 yo daughter and she said he was very good.

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
You guys have some good ones, but I’m not sure some of them are underrated when they were in bands that made millions. Knoffler was one of my favorites! Buckingham is a good one! What about Prince, on the country side, vince gill, brad paisley, keith urban, jerry reed, willie can play a little, lukas is good too!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bwellgolf

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
You guys have some good ones, but I’m not sure some of them are underrated when they were in bands that made millions. Knoffler was one of my favorites! Buckingham is a good one! What about Prince, on the country side, vince gill, brad paisley, keith urban, jerry reed, willie can play a little, lukas is good too!
Paisley and Urban are really good choices. (I saw Urban live, blew me away)
I would hardly call Prince underrated.

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
Steve Morse. Founded the Dixie Dregs (later called the Dregs). Electric and acoustic. 12 string acoustic master. Later played with Deep Purple
and Kansas.

Pat Matheny was mentioned above and I'd add Lee Ritenour and Earl Klugh.

These guys have never been well known, but their colleagues in the business hold them in the highest regard.

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Steve Morse. Founded the Dixie Dregs (later called the Dregs). Electric and acoustic. 12 string acoustic master. Later played with Deep Purple
and Kansas.

Pat Matheny was mentioned above and I'd add Lee Ritenour and Earl Klugh.

These guys have never been well known, but their colleagues in the business hold them in the highest regard.
Huge fan of both.

Reactions: Personalfowl

Sleepyhead

Jul 23, 2023
I think Mateus Astro is probably one of the better guitarists around right now. Zakk Wylde doesn’t get enough love for how good he has been over the years.

Sleepyhead

Jul 23, 2023
Also Julian lage. Not too technical but very colorful classical/jazz style with a modest tone. Plini is in that category too.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
I’m going With Alvin Lee from 10 years after in the 70’s who was considered the fastest guitar player of Rock.

also here is a bonus lyric from the Lovin Spoonful about virtuoso guitar players wandering the streets of Nashville unable to get a gig.

Nashville cats, play clean as country water
Nashville cats, play wild as mountain dew
Nashville cats, been playin' since they's babies
Nashville cats, get work before they're two
Well, there's thirteen hundred and fifty two
Guitar pickers in Nashville
And they can pick more notes than the number of ants
On a Tennessee ant hill
Yeah, there's thirteen hundred and fifty two
Guitar cases in Nashville
And any one that unpacks 'is guitar could play
Twice as better than I will

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
I’m going With Alvin Lee from 10 years after in the 70’s who was considered the fastest guitar player of Rock.

also here is a bonus lyric from the Lovin Spoonful about virtuoso guitar players wandering the streets of Nashville unable to get a gig.

Nashville cats, play clean as country water
Nashville cats, play wild as mountain dew
Nashville cats, been playin' since they's babies
Nashville cats, get work before they're two
Well, there's thirteen hundred and fifty two
Guitar pickers in Nashville
And they can pick more notes than the number of ants
On a Tennessee ant hill
Yeah, there's thirteen hundred and fifty two
Guitar cases in Nashville
And any one that unpacks 'is guitar could play
Twice as better than I will
Forgot Alvin Lee, good one!
Concerning Nashville guitar virtuosos wandering the streets, it's all about the "breaks" and "being in the right place at the right time" and somebody with clout "discovering" them.

Reactions: Cackmandu

Go Gamecocks

Jan 24, 2022
Steve Morse.
Legendary & very well known.
When they start making high end guitars with your name on it, you are well known.

Sharing the stage with Vai & Statch:

Stardust710

Jul 21, 2023
Umm, No. I did not say that in my post.

But if you really think U2 is boy band, you just keep running down that lane.
One of the first run of the mill test tube boy bands. They suck and if they didn't tell you to like them you wouldn't. Just like the Beatles.